Shadows

Distinguished
May 2, 2003

On 2005-03-16, Unruley Canuck <yeah@right.com> wrote:
> Has Thief: Deadly Shadows been successful enough to warrant another
> sequel? I know the graphics were not so great, but the game play and
> stealth make up for this?

Are you trolling or smoking crack. Thief 1 and Thief 2 were worth
it but "Thief: Deadling Shadows" was by all means not. I hope
*it* doesn't spawn another sequel.

I can't find any sales figures for T:DS, but as far as I know it did
quite well, and I would expect it to get a sequel, yes.
Of course, it'll be an XBox2 game, and as such may never get ported to
PC.

On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 00:18:12 -0600, shadows <shadows@whitefang.com>
wrote:

>On 2005-03-16, Unruley Canuck <yeah@right.com> wrote:
>> Has Thief: Deadly Shadows been successful enough to warrant another
>> sequel? I know the graphics were not so great, but the game play and
>> stealth make up for this?
>
>Are you trolling or smoking crack. Thief 1 and Thief 2 were worth
>it but "Thief: Deadling Shadows" was by all means not. I hope
>*it* doesn't spawn another sequel.

Well maybe they can go back and design a game worth of the first two
then.

On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 02:45:36 GMT, Unruley Canuck <yeah@right.com> wrote:

>Has Thief: Deadly Shadows been successful enough to warrant another
>sequel? I know the graphics were not so great, but the game play and
>stealth make up for this?

I thought the graphics were okay for what amounted to a console port. Far, far
better than DX:IW. I hope they do make another sequel but maybe with slightly
bigger levels this time around. Better stil just develop for the PC first,
THEN port! :)

On 16 Mar 2005 09:05:04 -0800, mike_noren2002@yahoo.co.uk wrote:

>I can't find any sales figures for T:DS, but as far as I know it did
>quite well, and I would expect it to get a sequel, yes.
>Of course, it'll be an XBox2 game, and as such may never get ported to
>PC.

Why not?

Thusly Memnoch <memnoch@nospampleaseimbritish.ntlworld.com> Spake Unto
All:

>>I can't find any sales figures for T:DS, but as far as I know it did
>>quite well, and I would expect it to get a sequel, yes.
>>Of course, it'll be an XBox2 game, and as such may never get ported to
>>PC.
>
>Why not?

The cost of porting will be considerably higher, as the XBox2 ISN'T at
all a stripped-down PC like the XBox is.
For an old and known PC franchise like this... I'm guessing it will
get ported, but I wouldn't bet my house on it.

--
"Forgive Russia. Ignore Germany. Punish France."
-- Condoleezza Rice, at the time National Security Adviser, on how to deal

Mean_Chlorine wrote:

> Thusly Memnoch <memnoch@nospampleaseimbritish.ntlworld.com> Spake Unto
> All:
>

>>>I can't find any sales figures for T:DS, but as far as I know it did
>>>quite well, and I would expect it to get a sequel, yes.
>>>Of course, it'll be an XBox2 game, and as such may never get ported to
>>>PC.
>>
>>Why not?
>

> The cost of porting will be considerably higher, as the XBox2 ISN'T at
> all a stripped-down PC like the XBox is.
> For an old and known PC franchise like this... I'm guessing it will
> get ported, but I wouldn't bet my house on it.

On that note I saw a WASD flavor keyboard for a PS2 the other day...does
this means consoles are going to be using keyboards now? It seems like
the controllers for consoles are getting too complicated and they will
have to figure out another way to have the user give input...I wonder if
they are going to move to a keyboardish thing?

On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 21:22:10 GMT, Memnoch
<memnoch@nospampleaseimbritish.ntlworld.com> wrote:

>On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 02:45:36 GMT, Unruley Canuck <yeah@right.com> wrote:
>
>>Has Thief: Deadly Shadows been successful enough to warrant another
>>sequel? I know the graphics were not so great, but the game play and
>>stealth make up for this?
>
>I thought the graphics were okay for what amounted to a console port. Far, far
>better than DX:IW. I hope they do make another sequel but maybe with slightly
>bigger levels this time around. Better stil just develop for the PC first,
>THEN port! :)

Well, they've released the editor, so the chances are that a few good
fan missions will turn up sometime soon. Some of the fan missions for
Thief 1 and 2 are pretty spectacular.

On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 09:40:56 -0700, James Garvin
<jgarvin2004@comcast.net> wrote:

>Mean_Chlorine wrote:
>
>> Thusly Memnoch <memnoch@nospampleaseimbritish.ntlworld.com> Spake Unto
>> All:

>>>Why not?
>>

>> The cost of porting will be considerably higher, as the XBox2 ISN'T at
>> all a stripped-down PC like the XBox is.
>> For an old and known PC franchise like this... I'm guessing it will
>> get ported, but I wouldn't bet my house on it.
>
>On that note I saw a WASD flavor keyboard for a PS2 the other day...does
>this means consoles are going to be using keyboards now? It seems like
>the controllers for consoles are getting too complicated and they will
>have to figure out another way to have the user give input...I wonder if
>they are going to move to a keyboardish thing?
Keyboards and mouse's (?) have been around since the PS1. I remember
seeing a KB+mouse combo for the release of C&C on the PS1.

Lynley

Shadows

Distinguished
May 2, 2003

On 2005-03-17, Lynley James <lynley.james@gmail.com> wrote:

> Keyboards and mouse's (?) have been around since the PS1. I remember
> seeing a KB+mouse combo for the release of C&C on the PS1.

It's done by USB for PS2. I suspect the game needs to support it
though since a mouse as an input device cannot be represented as
a game controller in any shape or form.

Honestly though, I'm not putting a keyboard and mouse on my
coffee table. It's not setup right for it and it's too wierd to
setup the ps2 and tv on a desk (if not really bad for your eyes).

Thusly James Garvin <jgarvin2004@comcast.net> Spake Unto All:

>On that note I saw a WASD flavor keyboard for a PS2 the other day...does
>this means consoles are going to be using keyboards now?

You mean real keyboards? Nah. Only as a rare optional accessory used
by a miniscule percentage.

--
"Forgive Russia. Ignore Germany. Punish France."
-- Condoleezza Rice, at the time National Security Adviser, on how to deal
with european opposition to the war in Iraq. 2003.

On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 01:28:04 +0100, Mean_Chlorine
<mike_noren2002@NOSPAMyahoo.co.uk> wrote:

>Thusly Memnoch <memnoch@nospampleaseimbritish.ntlworld.com> Spake Unto
>All:
>
>>>I can't find any sales figures for T:DS, but as far as I know it did
>>>quite well, and I would expect it to get a sequel, yes.
>>>Of course, it'll be an XBox2 game, and as such may never get ported to
>>>PC.
>>
>>Why not?
>
>The cost of porting will be considerably higher, as the XBox2 ISN'T at
>all a stripped-down PC like the XBox is.
>For an old and known PC franchise like this... I'm guessing it will
>get ported, but I wouldn't bet my house on it.

If the XBox2 isn't a stripped down PC then what is it? If it is PC in a small
box for instance then surely ports onto the PC can only be better?

On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 11:38:46 +0000, hammerstein <ask@me.com> wrote:

>On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 21:22:10 GMT, Memnoch
><memnoch@nospampleaseimbritish.ntlworld.com> wrote:
>
>>On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 02:45:36 GMT, Unruley Canuck <yeah@right.com> wrote:
>>
>>>Has Thief: Deadly Shadows been successful enough to warrant another
>>>sequel? I know the graphics were not so great, but the game play and
>>>stealth make up for this?
>>
>>I thought the graphics were okay for what amounted to a console port. Far, far
>>better than DX:IW. I hope they do make another sequel but maybe with slightly
>>bigger levels this time around. Better stil just develop for the PC first,
>>THEN port! :)
>
>Well, they've released the editor, so the chances are that a few good
>fan missions will turn up sometime soon. Some of the fan missions for
>Thief 1 and 2 are pretty spectacular.

I know. Still play some of them from time to time. I finished Thief 3 and
pretty much forgot about so I'm glad they released the editor. I hope it will
let people create bigger maps that the tiny ones in the game.

On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 00:09:13 GMT, Memnoch
<memnoch@nospampleaseimbritish.ntlworld.com> wrote:

>>Well, they've released the editor, so the chances are that a few good
>>fan missions will turn up sometime soon. Some of the fan missions for
>>Thief 1 and 2 are pretty spectacular.
>
>I know. Still play some of them from time to time. I finished Thief 3 and
>pretty much forgot about so I'm glad they released the editor. I hope it will
>let people create bigger maps that the tiny ones in the game.

Do you have any sites that have mods for the game li ke new maps?

Thusly Memnoch <memnoch@nospampleaseimbritish.ntlworld.com> Spake Unto
All:

>>>Why not?
>>
>>The cost of porting will be considerably higher, as the XBox2 ISN'T at
>>all a stripped-down PC like the XBox is.
>>For an old and known PC franchise like this... I'm guessing it will
>>get ported, but I wouldn't bet my house on it.
>
>If the XBox2 isn't a stripped down PC then what is it? If it is PC in a small
>box for instance then surely ports onto the PC can only be better?

It's a completely different architecture.
The XBox was a stripped intel-compatible PC. It used a 720MHz
(slightly modified) mobile celeron CPU, a memory-bandwidth-reduced
Geforce3 for graphics, and its operating system was a stripped version
of Windows 2000. The only thing which kept you from putting in a big
harddisk and installing WindowsXP on it was the bios, which was
purposely written to stop people doing things like that. Still people
hacked it and used xboxes as extremely cheap PC's. (Microsoft doesn't
like this, because they subsidize the hardware; the idea is that
they'll get their money from the sales of games, but if you hack the
xbox and install linux on it without buying any games...)

The XBox2, on the other hand, uses a simplified PowerPC CPU, the same
family of processor found in MacIntosh, quite different than x86 class
AMD or Intel processors. The XBox2 will be considerably more similar
to a Mac than a PC.

As I've said before I think this is a good move, both for PC gamers
and for Microsoft. The XBox has single-handedly almost killed PC
gaming.

--

On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 02:00:40 GMT, Unruley Canuck <yeah@right.com> wrote:

>On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 00:09:13 GMT, Memnoch
><memnoch@nospampleaseimbritish.ntlworld.com> wrote:
>

>>>Well, they've released the editor, so the chances are that a few good
>>>fan missions will turn up sometime soon. Some of the fan missions for
>>>Thief 1 and 2 are pretty spectacular.
>>
>>I know. Still play some of them from time to time. I finished Thief 3 and
>>pretty much forgot about so I'm glad they released the editor. I hope it will
>>let people create bigger maps that the tiny ones in the game.
>
>Do you have any sites that have mods for the game li ke new maps?

The main one I used to visit is http://www.thief-thecircle.com/ It seems they
now have an area on T:DS editing.