How to transfer large files over wireless lan

rvsw

Honorable
Dec 21, 2012
I have to transfer upto 50G of data over a Netgear 300 Mbps N300 router between too laptops both connected wirlessly to the same router. However, I get only 200 - 300 kbps when I transfer data? I get a faster speed when I download files off the web.

Since your Netgear router is a N300 and gets up to 300 mbps then that will be the speed when it transfers files. Since laptops are small and easily moved if your transferrring a large file you could put them in the same room and connect them by cat 5 cable for the transfer.
Another way is to use a Zip file and transfer it by that process which would take less time.

john-b691

Honorable
Sep 29, 2012
Be very sure you actually have 300m. Its a nice number they put on the box but you have to read the fine print. To get this ALL your equipment must be running only N and the router must be set to run N only. You also must be using WPA2 with AES for your encryption...or no encryption which is not recommended. Both your laptops must also have the 300m feature which is Wide band channels (give 150m) and 2x2 mimo which give you the 300m. If you don't have these on everything then you get only what is common. Many times this limits you to 54m

Then your next problem as mentioned above is only one device can transmit at a time. This means you send the data to the router and then the router send it to the other PC. This cuts your speed in half most likely even more because of the acknowledgment traffic flowing the other direction.

On top of all this the numbers are "maximum" speeds which you pretty much you only get when you sit right next to the router. When you have walls and other intervening thing between your PCs and the router you get nowhere near the maximum.

Then you need to take into account interference from both inside and outside your house.

As recommended by inzone a ethernet cable is always less hassle than trying to troubleshoot wireless that does not work well.