Suggestions on getting good bass guitar track

Last response: in Home Audio
Share
January 7, 2005 3:29:02 PM

Would like to track a bass guitar into sonar along with guitar,
keyboards, drums. My bass track is muddy. Any tips? What's the best
mic (my cabinet is a 4x10), SWR SM 500 head.
Anonymous
January 7, 2005 5:10:18 PM

Agent86 is right on. One of the best D.I.s for bass is called the
"Evil Twin". This box is out of production. However,
Mercenary Audio is selling the Aguilar Tube DI
http://www.mercenary.com/agam.html. Spendy, but worth a look.
I'm booked into a studio next week that uses an old Telefunken tube pre
for bass. Don't know the model number, but it works great as
a bass DI.

DaveT
Anonymous
January 7, 2005 8:42:33 PM

<psychodave.thomas@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Agent86 is right on. One of the best D.I.s for bass is called the
> "Evil Twin". This box is out of production. However,
> Mercenary Audio is selling the Aguilar Tube DI
> http://www.mercenary.com/agam.html. Spendy, but worth a look.
> I'm booked into a studio next week that uses an old Telefunken tube pre
> for bass. Don't know the model number, but it works great as
> a bass DI.

And if you're looking for a cheaper solution, check out the Sans Amp bass
DI. I use it a lot and it sounds really good. A good mic to start with a
bass amp is a Sennheiser 421.

--litepipe
Related resources
January 7, 2005 10:44:34 PM

In article <1105135818.538267.58350@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>,
<psychodave.thomas@gmail.com> wrote:

> Agent86 is right on. One of the best D.I.s for bass is called the
> "Evil Twin". This box is out of production. However,
> Mercenary Audio is selling the Aguilar Tube DI
> http://www.mercenary.com/agam.html. Spendy, but worth a look.
> I'm booked into a studio next week that uses an old Telefunken tube pre
> for bass. Don't know the model number, but it works great as
> a bass DI.
>
> DaveT

Fletcher was classy enough to link to Bruce if you want one. If any of
ya find out what they sell for, do post the price here.

The following is from
http://store.yahoo.com/mercenary-audio/eclair.html :

Evil Twin

As much as we'd love to sell it, Bruce has decided to sell direct and
we respect his decision to do so. If you are interested in ordering an
Eclair Engineering product please contact Bruce directly at the
information below.
Bruce Seifried
Eclair Engineering
PO Box 125
8 Village Hill Road
Williamsburg, MA 01096
413-268-3669

vze2qwtg@verizon.net

David Correia
Celebration Sound
Warren, Rhode Island

CelebrationSound@aol.com
www.CelebrationSound.com
Anonymous
January 7, 2005 11:00:54 PM

> Would like to track a bass guitar into sonar along with guitar,
> keyboards, drums. My bass track is muddy. Any tips? What's the best
> mic (my cabinet is a 4x10), SWR SM 500 head.

Same list as kick drum mics, Audix D-5, Sennheiser 421, AKG D12 (out of
production). I personally dislike the D112, not versatile enough for my
rack.
Anonymous
January 8, 2005 12:58:28 AM

jb wrote:

> Would like to track a bass guitar into sonar along with guitar,
> keyboards, drums. My bass track is muddy. Any tips? What's the best
> mic (my cabinet is a 4x10), SWR SM 500 head.

Try a good DI box to a separate track along with the amp track. The DI
will give you some clarity to balance the amp. Make sure your room is up
to the task. The frequendy range of bass guitar falls right in the area
where most smaller rooms tend to have problems. If your room isn't up to
snuff & you can't get it there, the DI is your best friend. If you can get
the amp to sound good in the room, you have a lot more flexibility to mix
the amp & DI.
Anonymous
January 8, 2005 3:38:15 AM

In article <1105135818.538267.58350@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>,
psychodave.thomas@gmail.com wrote:

> Agent86 is right on. One of the best D.I.s for bass is called the
> "Evil Twin". This box is out of production.

*******************

Just to set the record straight, the Evil Twin *is* currently in
production, and I will be shipping out the next batch in about four or
five weeks.

bruce seifried
eclair engineering
Anonymous
January 8, 2005 4:33:47 AM

Sugarite wrote:

> Audix D-5,

Is there a such thing?
Anonymous
January 8, 2005 7:39:01 AM

jb wrote:
> Would like to track a bass guitar into sonar along with guitar,
> keyboards, drums. My bass track is muddy. Any tips? What's the best
> mic (my cabinet is a 4x10), SWR SM 500 head.

I like the PL20 (Electro-Voice RE20) in front of a
bass cabinet when it's available. Right up against the
grill, centered over the cone/dome seam.
Play louder ! It takes some wattage to get a 10 to
breakup on a bass and create some character.
Don't compress a whole lot tracking. If want more
punch for the bass when mixing, you can use some EQ to
add presence (panned a bit more to one side) and center
a compressed strip to beef the bottom.

rd
Anonymous
January 8, 2005 7:51:27 AM

bruce seifried <vze2qwtg@verizon.net> wrote:

> psychodave.thomas@gmail.com wrote:

> > Agent86 is right on. One of the best D.I.s for bass is called the
> > "Evil Twin". This box is out of production.

> Just to set the record straight, the Evil Twin *is* currently in
> production, and I will be shipping out the next batch in about four or
> five weeks.

And I reiterate my enthusiasm for the ET; it's a wonderful device. I
never bothered taking the pickup signal from my duo partner's cello
until 1) we put a David Gage "Realist" on it, and 2) fed that to the
Evil Twin. Now we always track that, too, just for the thrill of hearing
it. Recently I was tracking a young player with a not great Cort bass.
We could not believe the gorgeousity of the bass via the ET.

That it is once again available new is a tribute to one man's fortitude.
<g> Anybody looking for a DI over which to outrightly drool, get in line
for this thing.

--
ha
Anonymous

Sugarite wrote:

> > Would like to track a bass guitar into sonar along with guitar,
> > keyboards, drums. My bass track is muddy. Any tips? What's the best
> > mic (my cabinet is a 4x10), SWR SM 500 head.

> Same list as kick drum mics, Audix D-5, Sennheiser 421, AKG D12 (out of
> production). I personally dislike the D112, not versatile enough for my
> rack.

Beyer M88 can be a very good bass amp mic, too.

--
ha
Anonymous

> Sugarite wrote:
>
> > > Would like to track a bass guitar into sonar along with guitar,
> > > keyboards, drums. My bass track is muddy. Any tips? What's the best
> > > mic (my cabinet is a 4x10), SWR SM 500 head.
>
> > Same list as kick drum mics, Audix D-5, Sennheiser 421, AKG D12 (out of
> > production). I personally dislike the D112, not versatile enough for my
> > rack.
>
> Beyer M88 can be a very good bass amp mic, too.

Another thought: sometimes, when a bass track is muddy, I've had luck
switching to a smaller, single-speaker cabinet. Also, as others have
suggested, take a DI feed to a separate track.

Peace,
Paul
Anonymous
January 8, 2005 10:32:59 PM

Paul Stamler wrote:

> > > Same list as kick drum mics, Audix D-5, Sennheiser 421, AKG D12 (out of
> > > production). I personally dislike the D112, not versatile enough for my
> > > rack.

> > Beyer M88 can be a very good bass amp mic, too.

> Another thought: sometimes, when a bass track is muddy, I've had luck
> switching to a smaller, single-speaker cabinet. Also, as others have
> suggested, take a DI feed to a separate track.

You just reminded me that often when I put an M88 on a multi-speaker
bass cab, I close mic only one of the drivers. In particular, I have an
ancient (I bought it in 1969) Traynor 4 x 10 bass cab that delivers
nicely this way.

--
ha
!