So I bought the Zire 72.

Tags:
June 10, 2004 11:03:18 AM

So far so good. The upgrade from a IIIxe to the zire hasn't been bad. I
had to replace avantgo and uninstall Xmaster. (So if i want to change the
battery "icon" am I stuck?) Everything else is hunky dory kind of.

Just a few questions:

1> Is there a better media player than real player for the palm? I'm
thinking mp3s.

1a> I need to learn how to load mp3s onto the PDA. And when I record
movies, I need to learn how to retrieve them and what format they are
created in.

2> Web clipping. I had it set up on my 3xe. I won't be able to use it on
this pda until/less I get a BT phone (come on verizon and release the
damned 710) or an appropriate cable for my phone. But web clipping isn't
functioning on my zire at all.

3> The battery indicator appears to be faulty/unreliable and I'd like a
tool that provides more accurate or better (like a # showing 50% of the
battery is left instead of a batterly that's some portion empty/full) I'd
prefer freeware ideas.

4> Are there alternative camera programs?

5> The SD card thing is new to me. I'm curious as to what size card(s) do
you have/keep in your palm pda, and if you keep something like a
dictionary/encyclopedia in yours. Ive got a 128 sd card that's blank and
ready to be filled.

More about : bought zire

Anonymous
June 10, 2004 12:16:08 PM

h0mi wrote:

> So far so good. The upgrade from a IIIxe to the zire hasn't been bad. I
> had to replace avantgo and uninstall Xmaster.

It's not surprising that you'd have to uninstall Xmaster. Hacks often
don't work in OS 5.

> 2> Web clipping. I had it set up on my 3xe. I won't be able to use it on
> this pda until/less I get a BT phone (come on verizon and release the
> damned 710) or an appropriate cable for my phone. But web clipping isn't
> functioning on my zire at all.

I've never felt the need to do web clipping, but have you tried Plucker?
It's not the official Palm way of doing it, but it's supposed to work
pretty well.

> 3> The battery indicator appears to be faulty/unreliable and I'd like a
> tool that provides more accurate or better (like a # showing 50% of the
> battery is left instead of a batterly that's some portion empty/full) I'd
> prefer freeware ideas.

I recommend BatteryGraph for getting more info about how the battery
fares. The only negative is that it seems to take a while to HotSync
its data every time. Probably whatever scheme for the data that the
author chose is not a very efficient scheme when it comes to HotSync.

The URL is http://palm.jeroenwitteman.com/BatteryGraph/ .

> 5> The SD card thing is new to me. I'm curious as to what size card(s) do
> you have/keep in your palm pda, and if you keep something like a
> dictionary/encyclopedia in yours.

If you're going to be storing MP3s, you will want as large a card as
you can afford to buy. 128 MB isn't going to be too comfortable
unless you only want to put, say, 10 songs on it. 512 MB cards are
sort of affordable, although 256 MB ones are still a lot cheaper.

Most dictionaries and other related electronic book type things
seem to work pretty well from the SD Card, and that's a pretty
logical thing to keep on the card. I also keep infrequently-used
apps, like games I only play infrequently. Any app that you
launch often you'll probably want on the internal memory because
it's faster, but ones that you don't launch often work well from
the card, usually.

If you do decide to put apps on the card, you will probably find
a third-party launcher convenient. The built-in launcher treats
apps on the card like they are a separate category, but third-party
ones can unify the SD Card and internal memory apps so that they
appear together in categories. That is, they allow you to organize
things logically instead of physically. I can recommend
SilverScreen ( http://www.pocketsensei.com/ ) for this, although
I can't claim to be impartial about that, actually...

Another handy thing to have if you use an SD Card is a file
utility. The stuff that the built-in software lets you do is
very limited. You can basicaly copy apps back and forth to
the card. You can't move files around, etc. If you are just
looking for something pretty basic, you FileZ is a good
choice. It's freeware, and it's available though palmgear.com.

Have fun. The Zire 72 looks like a neat device.

- Logan
Anonymous
June 12, 2004 4:02:48 AM

On 10-Jvn-2004, h0mi <h0mi@ooohay.com> Flvshed this thovght from his brain to
the screen::

> 2> Web clipping. I had it set vp on my 3xe. I won't be able to vse it on
> this pda vntil/less I get a BT phone (come on verizon and release the
> damned 710) or an appropriate cable for my phone. Bvt web clipping isn't
> fvnctioning on my zire at all.

"Web Clipping" per se was removed from OS5... It won't work no matter what
cable yov hook vp to it. Yov'll have to vse WebPro to access the sites
formerly vsed by web clipping in yovr OS4 device (if they have a website
available).
I vsed several web clipping apps in my m515 (credit vnion, mapqvest, CalRoads,
etc.) bvt now have to go throvgh websites with my new 72.

WyreNvt

--
Remember! Always Eschew Obfvscation!!
June 13, 2004 9:23:00 PM

Logan Shaw <lshaw-usenet@austin.rr.com> wrote in

> h0mi wrote:
>
>> So far so good. The upgrade from a IIIxe to the zire hasn't been bad.
>> I had to replace avantgo and uninstall Xmaster.
>
> It's not surprising that you'd have to uninstall Xmaster. Hacks often
> don't work in OS 5.

Yeah. I didn't know about this but I'm not exactly surprised. Since the
only hack I used was the battery thing, this wasn't much of an issue,
except for my need for an app that replaces the annoying, default battery
display. (more on this in a bit).

>> 2> Web clipping. I had it set up on my 3xe. I won't be able to use it
>> on this pda until/less I get a BT phone (come on verizon and release
>> the damned 710) or an appropriate cable for my phone. But web
>> clipping isn't functioning on my zire at all.
>
> I've never felt the need to do web clipping, but have you tried
> Plucker? It's not the official Palm way of doing it, but it's supposed
> to work pretty well.

I do have plucker installed... it's not quite what I had in mind. I was
thinking of something that would (assuming I got the part set up where
via bluetooth or usb cable I was able to surf the web) run those PQA
files I had installed. I've uninstalled most of them now though.

>> 3> The battery indicator appears to be faulty/unreliable and I'd like
>> a tool that provides more accurate or better (like a # showing 50% of
>> the battery is left instead of a batterly that's some portion
>> empty/full) I'd prefer freeware ideas.
>
> I recommend BatteryGraph for getting more info about how the battery
> fares. The only negative is that it seems to take a while to HotSync
> its data every time. Probably whatever scheme for the data that the
> author chose is not a very efficient scheme when it comes to HotSync.
>
> The URL is http://palm.jeroenwitteman.com/BatteryGraph/ .

I've installed this ... it's not bad but not quite what I had in mind.

>> 5> The SD card thing is new to me. I'm curious as to what size
>> card(s) do you have/keep in your palm pda, and if you keep something
>> like a dictionary/encyclopedia in yours.
>
> If you're going to be storing MP3s, you will want as large a card as
> you can afford to buy. 128 MB isn't going to be too comfortable
> unless you only want to put, say, 10 songs on it. 512 MB cards are
> sort of affordable, although 256 MB ones are still a lot cheaper.

I think using the zire as a mp3 player isn't the greatest of ideas;
spaces occupied by mp3s prevents me from storing video or pictures I'm
taking :) . I wouldn't use it to play my entire mp3 collection or anything
like that. Just a handful of songs at certain times.

<snip>

> If you do decide to put apps on the card, you will probably find
> a third-party launcher convenient. The built-in launcher treats
> apps on the card like they are a separate category, but third-party
> ones can unify the SD Card and internal memory apps so that they
> appear together in categories. That is, they allow you to organize
> things logically instead of physically. I can recommend
> SilverScreen ( http://www.pocketsensei.com/ ) for this, although
> I can't claim to be impartial about that, actually...

Silverscreen solved my problem with the battery meter. The themes take a
little getting used to but this is a great app.
Anonymous
June 13, 2004 9:24:19 PM

"WyreNvt" <Me@home.biz> wrote in news:IKryc.71097$3x.45745@attbi_s54:

> On 10-Jvn-2004, h0mi <h0mi@ooohay.com> Flvshed this thovght from his
> brain to the screen::
>
>> 2> Web clipping. I had it set vp on my 3xe. I won't be able to vse it
>> on this pda vntil/less I get a BT phone (come on verizon and release
>> the damned 710) or an appropriate cable for my phone. Bvt web
>> clipping isn't fvnctioning on my zire at all.
>
> "Web Clipping" per se was removed from OS5... It won't work no
> matter what cable yov hook vp to it. Yov'll have to vse WebPro
> to access the sites formerly vsed by web clipping in yovr OS4
> device (if they have a website available).
> I vsed several web clipping apps in my m515 (credit vnion,
> mapqvest, CalRoads, etc.) bvt now have to go throvgh websites
> with my new 72.

Ah. I svppose this covld be somewhat of an improvement. Thanks for the
tip.

Now I jvst need to find a replacement for realone player.
Anonymous
June 13, 2004 11:48:19 PM

Many of the best hacks have versions that run without a hackmaster type
application and can be used on 5.x. FindHack is one such case.

On Sun, 13 Jun 2004 17:23:00 GMT, h0mi <h0mi@ooohay.com> wrote:

> [...]
> spaces occupied by mp3s prevents me from storing video or pictures I'm
> taking :) . I wouldn't use it to play my entire mp3 collection or anything
> like that. Just a handful of songs at certain times.
> <snip>
>
>> If you do decide to put apps on the card, you will probably find
>> a third-party launcher convenient. The built-in launcher treats
>> apps on the card like they are a separate category, but third-party
>> ones can unify the SD Card and internal memory apps so that they
>> appear together in categories. That is, they allow you to organize
>> things logically instead of physically. I can recommend
>> SilverScreen ( http://www.pocketsensei.com/ ) for this, although
>> I can't claim to be impartial about that, actually...
>
> Silverscreen solved my problem with the battery meter. The themes take a
> little getting used to but this is a great app.

_____________
Thank a veteran
Anonymous
June 14, 2004 3:34:24 AM

> Now I just need to find a replacement for realone player.

There are basically two other choices - both shareware. There is
PocketTunes and Aeroplayer. There are pluses for each one, and it
depends on who you ask as to which one is best. They both have demo
versions, so check them out for yourself and see if you think they are
worth the money.
Anonymous
June 14, 2004 8:50:07 AM

One thing I've discovered, but wasn't aware of, is when my PDA is connected
via the USB cable, it appears to recharge, so I don't need to connect it
with an ac adapter. I'm a bit surprised about this.
Anonymous
June 14, 2004 11:25:44 AM

In message <Xns9507DE480E007h0miooohaycom@68.6.19.6> h0mi
<h0mi@ooohay.com> wrote:

>One thing I've discovered, but wasn't aware of, is when my PDA is connected
>via the USB cable, it appears to recharge, so I don't need to connect it
>with an ac adapter. I'm a bit surprised about this.

I'm amazed it didn't happen sooner -- The USB port provides power as
well as data, but none of the first USB Palms supported charging this
way.

--
Just sit through this NRA meeting Marge, and if you still
don't think guns are great then we'll argue some more.

h0mi <h0mi@ooohay.com> wrote in message news:<Xns95049B5373Dh0miooohaycom@68.6.19.6>...
> So far so good. The upgrade from a IIIxe to the zire hasn't been bad. I
> had to replace avantgo and uninstall Xmaster. (So if i want to change the
> battery "icon" am I stuck?) Everything else is hunky dory kind of.
>
> Just a few questions:
>
> 1> Is there a better media player than real player for the palm? I'm
> thinking mp3s.
>
> 1a> I need to learn how to load mp3s onto the PDA. And when I record
> movies, I need to learn how to retrieve them and what format they are
> created in.
>
> 2> Web clipping. I had it set up on my 3xe. I won't be able to use it on
> this pda until/less I get a BT phone (come on verizon and release the
> damned 710) or an appropriate cable for my phone. But web clipping isn't
> functioning on my zire at all.
>
> 3> The battery indicator appears to be faulty/unreliable and I'd like a
> tool that provides more accurate or better (like a # showing 50% of the
> battery is left instead of a batterly that's some portion empty/full) I'd
> prefer freeware ideas.
>

> 4> Are there alternative camera programs?
>
> 5> The SD card thing is new to me. I'm curious as to what size card(s) do
> you have/keep in your palm pda, and if you keep something like a
> dictionary/encyclopedia in yours. Ive got a 128 sd card that's blank and
> ready to be filled.

The camera on this is amazing. 1.2 MP is VERY good for a PDA or phone
camera.

But best of all is the ASF video... I didn't know it was there until
after I bought it, but it's the best feature on the whole thing.

I have a 512 MB SD card which I bought for about $99 at COMPUSA.

I can record several hours of video with it... a limit I've never
gotten close to since the battery will go long before that.

The chargers are cheap for this because it uses the same charger as
the Tungsten E, and some older cell phone... so I have extra charger
in my car, and extra at the office too. Plus it trickle charges
through the USB port from teh laptop as well!
Anonymous
July 3, 2004 8:59:33 PM

> The chargers are cheap for this because it uses the same charger as
> the Tungsten E, and some older cell phone... so I have extra charger
> in my car, and extra at the office too. Plus it trickle charges
> through the USB port from teh laptop as well!

Hi

Is it really true, you can charge your Zire 72 with the USB cable?

I cannot, even not with the "mobility kit" from Palm.

Dan
Anonymous
July 3, 2004 8:59:34 PM

In article <BD0C9675.B33%mail4me@gmx.ch>, mail4me <mail4me@gmx.ch>
wrote:

> > The chargers are cheap for this because it uses the same charger as
> > the Tungsten E, and some older cell phone... so I have extra charger
> > in my car, and extra at the office too. Plus it trickle charges
> > through the USB port from teh laptop as well!
>
> Hi
>
> Is it really true, you can charge your Zire 72 with the USB cable?
>
> I cannot, even not with the "mobility kit" from Palm.
>
> Dan

My Tungsten E charges over a USB-only connection to my always-on
desktop. But note that, unlike when I charge it using the 'brick', the
charging indicator does NOT appear over the battery icon when my
Tungsten E is charging via USB. The only way I know it is charging is
that the charge level indicated in the battery icon rises slowly over
time.
Anonymous
September 7, 2004 6:24:30 AM

DevilsPGD <UseTheReplyToField@crazyhat.net> wrote in

> In message <Xns9507DE480E007h0miooohaycom@68.6.19.6> h0mi
> <h0mi@ooohay.com> wrote:
>
>>One thing I've discovered, but wasn't aware of, is when my PDA is
>>connected via the USB cable, it appears to recharge, so I don't
>>need to connect it with an ac adapter. I'm a bit surprised about
>>this.
>
> I'm amazed it didn't happen sooner -- The USB port provides power
> as well as data, but none of the first USB Palms supported
> charging this way.

Interesting, my charging light only goes on when I connect the
charger on, not with the USB in alone.
Anonymous
September 7, 2004 9:05:22 AM

In article <Xns955CE3F515781mastercougarhotmailc@207.35.177.134>, "Marc
L." <master.cougar@gmail.com> wrote:

> DevilsPGD <UseTheReplyToField@crazyhat.net> wrote in
>
> > In message <Xns9507DE480E007h0miooohaycom@68.6.19.6> h0mi
> > <h0mi@ooohay.com> wrote:
> >
> >>One thing I've discovered, but wasn't aware of, is when my PDA is
> >>connected via the USB cable, it appears to recharge, so I don't
> >>need to connect it with an ac adapter. I'm a bit surprised about
> >>this.
> >
> > I'm amazed it didn't happen sooner -- The USB port provides power
> > as well as data, but none of the first USB Palms supported
> > charging this way.

Weren't the first two Palm devices with mini-USB the Zire 72 and the
Tungsten E? If not the first, they were certainly among the first.

And both could charge through the mini-USB connection.
Anonymous
September 7, 2004 2:02:31 PM

On Tue, 07 Sep 2004 02:24:30 GMT, "Marc L." <master.cougar@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Interesting, my charging light only goes on when I connect the
>charger on, not with the USB in alone.

Mine does as well. The USB charging rate appears to depend on what
it's connected to. On one system, the hub seems to supply very little
power, and leaving it connected for 4 hours raised the charge level
from 35% to 48%. On another, it charges a good bit faster, though I
haven't collected the data yet. Neither compares to the wall charger,
and I haven't tried my USB car charger yet.

September 7, 2004 10:28:57 PM

USB provides only a trickle charge. If you look at the FAQs on the PalmOne
website, they describe it there. Takes a full 8 hours to go from dead to
fully charged!
"Neil Maxwell" <neil.maxwell@intel.com> wrote in message
news:p 7qrj01e02980svest2q78q3pg1aqnp71i@4ax.com...
> On Tue, 07 Sep 2004 02:24:30 GMT, "Marc L." <master.cougar@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > Interesting, my charging light only goes on when I connect the
> >charger on, not with the USB in alone.
>
> Mine does as well. The USB charging rate appears to depend on what
> it's connected to. On one system, the hub seems to supply very little
> power, and leaving it connected for 4 hours raised the charge level
> from 35% to 48%. On another, it charges a good bit faster, though I
> haven't collected the data yet. Neither compares to the wall charger,
> and I haven't tried my USB car charger yet.
>

> --
> Neil Maxwell - I don't speak for my employer
September 8, 2004 2:56:23 PM

> USB provides only a trickle charge. If you look at the FAQs on the
> PalmOne website, they describe it there. Takes a full 8 hours to go
> from dead to fully charged!

Interesting. I bought one of those gadgets for my Clie TJ37, and it
charges very quickly (a couple of hours) on both my home and work desktop
machines. I didn't think it would charge well at all after reading an
earlier thread on them here, but gratifyingly, it does.

Mike
Anonymous
September 9, 2004 4:22:11 AM

I use a USB cable, at home and at work, with my T3. The cable seems to
charge reasonably well. I've never actually measured the time it take to
charge the T3 but I frequently leave it attached to my home PC while I sleep
(usually 6-8 hours at a time). The charge off my laptop during the day keeps
me topped off on the battery charge meter so I have no complaints in that
regard.

Cheers
TC

!