Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Upgrading to a new computer w\o reinstalling Windows 7 Step by Step

Last response: in Windows 7
June 5, 2012 1:00:14 AM

I've done some searching on the subject but have yet to find a recipe or step-by-step instructions for upgrading to a new computer without reinstalling the OS. I know it is not typically recommended but I understand it is being done successfully, especially with Windows 7.

I'm contemplating going from my x58 920 to a X79 3820 with Win 7 64 on a single SSD.

I understand the general principles, which very abbreviated, goes like this:
Back up and image the OS drive.
Remove drivers.
Boot in safe mode on the new machine with old and new drivers at the ready.

Has anyone seen a more detailed and methodical approach? (I have seen two imaging programs that have a feature to "restore image to dissimilar hardware". Has anyone had experience with the commercial programs)?

a b $ Windows 7
June 5, 2012 1:03:47 AM

Hi :) 

I have tried this numerous times...

The reason you wont find a detailed set of instructions is >>> it ONLY works around 10% of the time...IF you are lucky...and even when it does sometimes work it almost always causes major problems that will lead to a PROPER reinstall...

Its really not worth the hassle..

All the best Brett :) 
m
l
June 5, 2012 1:26:17 AM

That's too bad as I would be much more inclined to upgrade equipment more often if it was as simple as plugging in your existing hard drive with all the existing settings and such.

Don't large companies get around this problem using an image and populating different machines? I can't imagine they manually install and update all their programs and computers individually.
m
l
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
June 5, 2012 2:10:45 AM

montsware said:
That's too bad as I would be much more inclined to upgrade equipment more often if it was as simple as plugging in your existing hard drive with all the existing settings and such.

Don't large companies get around this problem using an image and populating different machines? I can't imagine they manually install and update all their programs and computers individually.

Umm..yes sort of...

But companies like mine use images on the SAME hardware...different hardware , different image...

You can try and it MAY work, but its doubtful and think of all the EXTRA work to do it all again properly...

m
l
June 5, 2012 8:13:53 PM

I attached the link below that describes the procedure for restoring to dissimilar hardware with one of the products I mentioned. Has anyone had experience with this product? A quick look at the company forum did not find any disgruntled customers.

It certainly makes it look easy.

http://www.todo-backup.com/support/tutorial/redeploy-sy...
m
l
June 6, 2012 3:53:14 PM

Here is another software product that claims it restore the operating system to dissimilar hardware.

Is there anyone out there with experience with either of these products?

http://www.farstone.com/software/totalrecovery-express....

Universal Restore/Dissimilar Restore
Restore to original or different computer (i.e. migrate to a newly purchased computer), or even to a virtual machine without any hassle.
m
l
July 7, 2012 6:12:05 PM

I finally found it! A detailed set of instructions to move windows 7 to new hardware using sysprep.

Google this and tell me what you think:

"How to Transfer your Complete Windows 7 Installation to a New Computer"

It seems to work quite well based on the 100+ posts.

Brett928S2 said:

I have tried this numerous times...

The reason you wont find a detailed set of instructions is >>> it ONLY works around 10% of the time...IF you are lucky...and even when it does sometimes work it almost always causes major problems that will lead to a PROPER reinstall...

Its really not worth the hassle..

m
l
a b $ Windows 7
July 7, 2012 7:15:46 PM

Hope you'll report back and tell us how you got on, I certainly wouldn't do it! Clean install pretty much guarantees a trouble free future, what you're suggesting is very dubious...
m
l
July 7, 2012 7:39:26 PM

If you read the tutorial, and given the authors number of posts and credentials, System Preparation does not seem dubious at all.
m
l

Best solution

a b $ Windows 7
July 7, 2012 8:00:58 PM

So it seems, never tried it myself, planning an upgrade soon so I'll give it a bash. Presume you mean
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/135077-windows-7-i...
Perhaps others may comment! Meanwhile post your results...
July 7, 2012 8:36:30 PM

Yes, that is the link. I found it very interesting and well done.

As long as you have a back up, I agree with you. Give it a whirl, if it doesn't work, you still have the back up.
m
l
July 17, 2012 12:06:27 AM

After two days with sysprep, I decided to do a clean install. It only took me five days as some of my programs didn't even install properly on a clean install. I had to spend $100 for tech support to help with a SQL server issue etc.

I sure wish sysprep would have worked better for me.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
July 17, 2012 5:13:59 AM

Glad you're up-and-running. So you won't give Sysprep the complete thumbs-up then?
Did you try Tom's with the SQL issue? Presume the programs that were causing probs were written for XP. Can help to Rt click the setup .exe file and choose 'Troubleshoot Compatibility'. Another option is to run your program in Virtual XP mode.
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/download.as...

m
l
July 28, 2012 4:52:01 AM

It's been over 15 days and my new system is still not quite dialed in (as my old system was). Still tweaking here or there with minor settings, sleep issues and minor error messages in the event viewer. The SQL problem was related to my database manager ACT (current version for 64 bit). $100 later and over an hour with Techsupport did the trick.

I sure wish the sysprep would've worked for me. Had I got past that autoloader error message, I may have been fine.
m
l
August 7, 2012 1:43:58 PM

Best answer selected by montsware.
m
l
!