Shut Down Computer After Use?

DCB_AU

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2002
Is it a good policy to shut down the computer after use to save wear on components {graphic cards, hard drive, etc}, or leave it on 24hrs a day with the monitor off.

I've been told that varying internal temperatures can shorten the life of PC components.

DCB_AU

HolyShiznit

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2002
If anything, I shut down my PC after use in order to save money on my utility bill.

<font color=blue>
--------------------------------------------------
Guns kill people just like spoons make Rosie O'Donnell fat.
<font color=blue>

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
depends on your circumstances.
PC's run well runnign 24/7
good for number crunching and the like, but to save on utility bils turn it off.

<b>You will die.
If you are lucky you may last ten decades.
If you are especially lucky you will be
remembered for another 5 decades.</b>

sjonnie

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2001
I leave my computer at work on 24/7. Then it can compute protein structures (folding@home) and download stuff whilst I'm asleep. Also means I can easily remote desktop to my computer and access work stuff if I need from my computer at home.

Incidentally, it's worth noting that the most stressfull period of a hard disks life is during transit. Second is during spin-up so make sure you disable hard disk auto power down.

vetplus40

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2001
Mine runs 24/7. The cost of the power is minor compared to the voltage spikes encurred when powering your pc on and off.......:)

If ya don't ask..How ya gonna know.

elzt

Distinguished
May 10, 2002
Components like graphic cards, hard drives and fans, etc. are designed to run 24/7. Perhaps a good example is PC servers which are rarely shut down.