Sign in with
Your question

Bios not working

Last response: in Windows 7
June 5, 2012 1:09:55 AM

Hi, my friend asked me to fix his computer and re-install windows 7. Once I took a look in his computer, the sata slot was broken off the motherboard. Since he as a mini-itx board he only has 1 sata slot left. So I unplugged his ODD. Now I can't install windows with a cd. When I put windows 7 on a usb using the usb boot tool microsoft has it worked fine. But the problem is, when i put the usb in the computer, it gets stuck and the boot screen. When i press f10 to enter system setup, nothing happens. Once i take the usb out it works fine. I know its not the usb because i used it to install windows 8 release preview on my computer. So if anyone knows how to fix the bios or if it may be the usb plz help me out. This is a hp slimline computer so the locked some setting, maybe that is the problem.

More about : bios working

a b $ Windows 7
June 5, 2012 1:15:26 AM

Hi :) 

Sounds like new motherboard time...you cannot just break off a sata connector without expecting other damage....like usb ports not working or something else...

All the best Brett :) 
m
l
June 5, 2012 1:20:28 AM

Well do you have any boards in mind? He needs a mini-itx board that can fit in a hp slimline case and needs to be socket 775. Also something cheap, around 50.
m
l
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
June 5, 2012 1:29:34 AM

i would first go into the bios and hit reset to factory defaults. just in case he changed a setting. if you were using the front header usb try seeing if the back ones will work. micro center or new egg would be your best bet for older mb. but if you do switch it out with a non hp mb then his restore cd wont work.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
June 5, 2012 1:36:29 AM

Hi :) 

If he HAS to change the mobo he may well HAVE to use a genuine HP one as nothing else may fit...and you dont get those for 50 anythings ...£ ? ...$ ?

All the best Brett :) 
m
l
June 5, 2012 1:59:16 AM

Canadian Dollar. I can't seem to find anything. I found one but its 24 pin. His power supply has 20 pin.
m
l
!