Rescuing data from dead hd's platters

Dead_hd

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2003
I need some advice about rescuing a dead hd, Seagate Barracuda IV, ST340016A, 40GB, Firmware: 3.05…..

I run my hd’s from a Promise Fasttrack 100 Raid Controller. Two of the above named Seagates and two IBM’s. A couple of nights ago I unpluged the power form the seagate, while the pc was running, and wanted to replug it again. Done that before no problems.

Very unfortunately twisted the power cable around so that minus contacted plus and vice versa. The PC un-powered instantly and the hd was dead. I unscrewed the cover of the control pcb, and a couple of chips visibly burn marks.

Now it’s dead, it does not even spin up!

If I exchange the pcb from the working Seagate to the burned one, then it spins up and makes sounds like it’s lightly banging the head of control arm against the chassis.

Now I don’t think that the platters them selves have been affected from the electric shock, and the spinning motor is running, the only electronics else in the hd is what controls the arm, right?

My plan is to get another hd with the exact same firmware and replace the broken parts.

Is there anybody here in this forum who have experience in opening hd’s, or know if can be done?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Best regards

SK

NeuronicPCGuy

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2003
I have taken apart many a HDs, however I always did it for the fun of seeing an old drive spin up and running without a cover. The One thing I can tell you though is that every time I dove farther than just opening up the case then things started getting permanent damage. You see the way the arms and the platters are designed, they had to have been put in at the exact same time, because there is no room to removed them seperately, and to date I haven't figured out any way of removing them at the same time. Most Drive are designed in such away that you have to take out layers of screws... i.e. take out screws remove a layer take out more screws, remove another layer... I'm sure you get the picture. So is it possible? Yeah it's possible... however keep in mind what you are about to try I've personally seen companies charge another company over $10k and they were only able to extract one floppy disk worth of data. So yeah its possible, but not likely to happen. Is it worth it. Well think of it like this, can you aford to buy a new drive and bassically destroy it trying to fix another drive that is already messed up? If yes then go for it... If no, then I think I would start trying to gain the data I lost through some other means.

I can't waite to have Patience!!!!

scamtrOn

Illustrious
Nov 20, 2001
dood.... how bad do you want your data? this is a vary hard task. i can help you through this, but its very very hard man.

<font color=orange><b>Crying Stripper</b> - I can make all of your fantasies come true

scamtrOn

Illustrious
Nov 20, 2001
swoot ass... i just did it again on one of my older hard drives. put it back and did scan disk and format with no bad clusters. it is pissible, but very hard.

<font color=orange><b>Crying Stripper</b> - I can make all of your fantasies come true

papasmurf

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2002
well you can open the hard drive up and carefully, mind you VERRY carefully extract the platters wearing latex gloves (if you do not have them then a condem slid over each finger works as well) once you have the platters out open up a nice new hard drive (as expensive as possible) now take out the platters in this one (it doesnt matter what you do with them, scratch um up and hang it off the dashboard of your car if you want) shove the old platters inside of the hard drive, now you have to fill it up with koolaid (because they are made in clean rooms with no static or anything, koolaid acts as a static represent) undoubtedly you had to remove some stickers that were covering up some holes, these holes must exist so that the pressure within the hard drive stays the same, take a crayon and shove the tip into the holes untill they are completely covered. now piss on the wax, it will make the wax become as steel. then when you're done just plug it all in and watch the fireworks!

*Disclaimer
Don't believe anything I tell you.

:evil: Wow, if he's here who's running hell? :evil:

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
LOL
I did as u suggested pappa smurf and i got a 87% increase in drive performance... its amazing!

<b>My Computer is so powerful Suron Desires it and mortal men Covert it, <i>My Precioussssssss</i></b>

marneus

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Halleluua & LoL(however u spell it), I personally would use cardboard to block the holes & badger piss to seal it (more evironmentally friendly, except for the badger, you have to catch one first...they are fast !!)

do you get a commision for every expensive HDD bought ??? ;-)

Hmmm, wonder if I can get a valid page fault ???
these invalid ones are far too commonplace...

Dead_hd

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2003
Thanks for your reply.

You can help? I'm all ears. Found out that the disk luckly only has one platter and therefor two heads.

I am realy interested in knowing exactly which tools are needed to thake the disk apart. Exploded drawings would be nice too.

please answer to: stanglende@hotmail.com