Good News For Quantegy Users?

Last response: in Home Audio
January 8, 2005 6:10:24 AM

Age: 20
Rep Power: 2

This was taken from the Ampex mailing list today......

Subject: [AMPEX] News on the future of analog tape

Hi --

Just got off the phone with Mike Spitz of ATR Services and I have what
could be good news.

Apparently, long before this unexpected move by Quantegy, Mike had
already been quietly working on bringing a new analog tape product to
market to compete with them. He saw the need to develop a line of
analog
tape products made and marketed by people who understand and care about
the art of recording.

In speaking with him, I got a sense that he has a good handle on the
situation and is well up the learning curve.

So, the key is not to panic. We will have to wait a few months. Mike
has
not yet solved all of the problems of bringing up a tape manufacturing
line and he was counting on Quantegy to survive a bit longer. But, it
didn't.

Of course, this project is now priority #1 on Mike's business agenda.
If
his past record of quality, service and innovation is any indication, I
think the world may see some of it's best analog tape ever in the
coming
months.

Mike was not at the point of development where he was ready to make a
formal announcement. So, there are no details yet, but I'm sure they
will be forthcoming as we learn more about the future of Quantegy and
Mike has a chance to re-assess how quickly he can bring his analog tape
products to market. I would suggest you resist the temptation to call
him as we need him to focus his time on solving this problem for us.

So, for right now, plan to recycle and reuse what's out there and keep
your eye on the horizon.
Anonymous
January 8, 2005 6:10:25 AM

BLCKOUT420 wrote:

> So, for right now, plan to recycle and reuse what's out there and keep
> your eye on the horizon.

And don't be too quick to dump your analog machines just yet.
Anonymous
January 8, 2005 6:10:26 AM

"Joe Sensor" <crabcakes@emagic.net> wrote in message
> BLCKOUT420 wrote:
>
> > So, for right now, plan to recycle and reuse what's out there and keep
> > your eye on the horizon.
>
> And don't be too quick to dump your analog machines just yet.

Rubbish!! They're usless. Infact landfills won't even take them, but since
I'm a nice guy I'll take them off your hands. Just drop me an e-mail and
I'll give you my shipping adress <G> :-))

--litepipe
January 8, 2005 6:19:44 AM

BLCKOUT420 wrote:

> Age: 20
> Rep Power: 2
>

> This was taken from the Ampex mailing list today......
>
> Subject: [AMPEX] News on the future of analog tape
>
> Hi --
>
> Just got off the phone with Mike Spitz of ATR Services and I have what
> could be good news.
>
> Apparently, long before this unexpected move by Quantegy, Mike had
> already been quietly working on bringing a new analog tape product to
> market to compete with them.

This same message was already posted in rec.audio.pro, actually.

It was the first post in a thread titled "Future of analog tape
production".

See Google's archive of it:

http://groups-beta.google.com/group/rec.audio.pro/brows...

- Logan
Anonymous
January 8, 2005 8:30:08 AM

>And don't be too quick to dump your analog machines just ye

no worry of that...
Anonymous
January 8, 2005 4:07:37 PM

On 08 Jan 2005 03:10:24 GMT, blckout420@aol.com (BLCKOUT420) wrote:

>Age: 20
>Rep Power: 2
>

>This was taken from the Ampex mailing list today......
>
>Subject: [AMPEX] News on the future of analog tape
>
>Hi --
>
>Just got off the phone with Mike Spitz of ATR Services and I have what
>could be good news.
>
>Apparently, long before this unexpected move by Quantegy, Mike had
>already been quietly working on bringing a new analog tape product to
>market to compete with them. He saw the need to develop a line of
>analog
>tape products made and marketed by people who understand and care about
>the art of recording.
>
>In speaking with him, I got a sense that he has a good handle on the
>situation and is well up the learning curve.
>
>So, the key is not to panic. We will have to wait a few months. Mike
>has
>not yet solved all of the problems of bringing up a tape manufacturing
>line and he was counting on Quantegy to survive a bit longer. But, it
>didn't.
>
>Of course, this project is now priority #1 on Mike's business agenda.
>If
>his past record of quality, service and innovation is any indication, I
>think the world may see some of it's best analog tape ever in the
>coming
>months.
>
>Mike was not at the point of development where he was ready to make a
>formal announcement. So, there are no details yet, but I'm sure they
>will be forthcoming as we learn more about the future of Quantegy and
>Mike has a chance to re-assess how quickly he can bring his analog tape
>products to market. I would suggest you resist the temptation to call
>him as we need him to focus his time on solving this problem for us.
>
>So, for right now, plan to recycle and reuse what's out there and keep
>your eye on the horizon.

It would be nice to credit the person who wrote this Ampex list.

Mark
"In this business egos can be wonderful, but they also can be a curse."
Michael Wagener
January 8, 2005 6:27:45 PM

BANG! SMASH! CRASH, tinkle, whiiiiirrrr, plop....

huh, whut's this post ?

In article <3491ljF493k0lU2@individual.net>,
Joe Sensor <crabcakes@emagic.net> wrote:

> BLCKOUT420 wrote:
>
> > So, for right now, plan to recycle and reuse what's out there and keep
> > your eye on the horizon.
>
> And don't be too quick to dump your analog machines just yet.

awwww,sheeit.... where's the service manual.....
--
Digital Services Recording Studios
http://www.digisrvs.com

On Sun, 09 Jan 2005 13:43:43 -0500, Maurice Rickard <maurice@mac.com>
wrote:

>Looks like Mr. Dorsey is correct--it's a financial restructuring, and
>they're looking for a partner, investor, or buyer:
>
>http://www.equitypartnersinc.com/detail_view.cfm?detid=... <snip>

Here come the Japanese! Same exact thing that happened to Five
Islands.

dB
Anonymous
January 9, 2005 5:52:36 PM

DeserTBoB wrote:

> Here come the Japanese! Same exact thing that happened to Five
> Islands.

The Japanese can be quite retro. I bet they love their tape recorders.
And they have money.
Anonymous
January 9, 2005 7:19:23 PM

DeserTBoB <desertb@rglobal.net> wrote:
>On Sun, 09 Jan 2005 13:43:43 -0500, Maurice Rickard <maurice@mac.com>
>wrote:
>
>>Looks like Mr. Dorsey is correct--it's a financial restructuring, and
>>they're looking for a partner, investor, or buyer:
>>
>>http://www.equitypartnersinc.com/detail_view.cfm?detid=... <snip>
>
>Here come the Japanese! Same exact thing that happened to Five
>Islands.

Yeah, but isn't EMTEC already mostly foreign-owned anyway. As I recall,
EMTEC was an financial broker of some sort, and Ampex basically sold them
the manufacturing division because they needed ready cash to meet debts.

I would not be surprised if EMTEC itself really didn't want to be in the
manufacturing business and would really like to have this operation off
of their hands.
--scott