Troublesome Maxtor Hard Disk

kryss

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2003
On October 7, 2002, I purchased MAXTOR 80GB 7200RPM UDMA133 ($194.92) a Hard Disk in CompuNation Computers Inc. –Merivale Road, Unit 4 A Ottawa, K1Z6A9 – Phone (613) 729-5312.
The Hard Disk had intermittent problems and at some point Windows only accepted the device as Dynamic and reported Healthy (At Risk). This Hard Disk lost the partition three times and I lost a lot of data.
I returned the Hard Disk to CompuNation, but the Technical Service said me that in the Hard Disk “nothing was wrong”.
I sent an e-mail to Maxtor Technical Service without any response. I formatted the Hard Disk with Max Blast Plus II Maxtor Software and I continued using the disk for several weeks with many intermittent problems.
Finally I lost all the data again. Then I downloaded the testing software from the Maxtor Website and the Hard Disk did not pas the “Write Disk Pack (low level format).
I returned to CompuNation with the Hard Disk and documentation (screenshots of the test) and I asked for a Refund because both the Technical Support from CompuNation and Maxtor were very bad and I had lost my trust in them.
CompuNation did not accept giving a refund and sent the Hard Disk to Maxtor who replaced the Hard Disk for a 120GB new one. This new disk passed the Maxtor’s Power Diagnostic (Powermax.exe).
But while I was reinstalling Windows the Hard Disk had an I/O Error. I used the disk for a couple of days with the fresh Windows installation, but frequently the computer Shutdown suddenly. The I/O error message appeared several times and I lost data other time.
I tested the Hard Disk with other software: Disk Command from the command prompt and the Hard Disk didn’t pass the test and the screen froze.
I booted with Windows 2000 CD-ROM to repair the system and Windows reported that the C disk was corrupted.
Finally I run the Maxtor test again with Maxtor software and the disk did not pass it.
Probably at this time you are thinking that my computer has problem.
Not at all, I’m using 2 WESTERN DIGITAL 120GB BJ Hard Disks on the same computer and I don’t have any problem with them. Those Hard Disks are working very well.
Now I wonder, is this is a bad joke?
Can I will get from Maxtor a good Hard Disk?

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
it happens unfortunately...
there is allways a small probability of getting a bad drive. Of course those risks are greatly increased if the place you got it from handles the drives badly...

As they gave you such bad service, make a point of never shopping there again, and letting them know that.

ive got both a maxtor d740x and a wd 800jb. both have been fine from the start. *shrugs*

<b>You will die.
If you are lucky you may last ten decades.
If you are especially lucky you will be
remembered for another 5 decades.</b>