Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

V3 RAZR driver on Windows 64 bit OS ?

Last response: in Brands
Share
July 29, 2005 11:16:33 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.motorola (More info?)

Does anyone on this group know of a RAZR V3 driver that actually works on
Windows 64 bit ?

I've googled away and got nowhere. Motorola weren't any help.

I've only got my USB cable here at home and simply want to charge the phone.
I've tried the 32 bit supplied drivers and they fail miserably since they
have to be 64 bit. Bit of a bonehead idea that you can't even charge the
phone unless you have drivers installed but anyway .....

Looks like I might be incommunicado this weekend unless my Mandriva Linux
can come up with the goods ;-)

Any help / info appreciated

JB
Anonymous
a b \ Driver
July 29, 2005 11:59:24 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.motorola (More info?)

[POSTED TO alt.cellular.motorola - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

In <lgvGe.253490$Vo6.235432@fe3.news.blueyonder.co.uk> on Fri, 29 Jul 2005
19:16:33 GMT, "Johnnyboy" <mofoputa@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Does anyone on this group know of a RAZR V3 driver that actually works on
>Windows 64 bit ?
>
>I've googled away and got nowhere. Motorola weren't any help.
>
>I've only got my USB cable here at home and simply want to charge the phone.
>I've tried the 32 bit supplied drivers and they fail miserably since they
>have to be 64 bit. Bit of a bonehead idea that you can't even charge the
>phone unless you have drivers installed but anyway .....

Really? The phone doesn't just charge itself from the power on the USB cable?
Are you sure?
--
Best regards, HELP FOR CINGULAR GSM & SONY ERICSSON PHONES:
John Navas <http://navasgrp.home.att.net/#Cingular&gt;
August 1, 2005 2:35:26 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.motorola (More info?)

John Navas wrote:
> [POSTED TO alt.cellular.motorola - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]
>
> In <lgvGe.253490$Vo6.235432@fe3.news.blueyonder.co.uk> on Fri, 29 Jul 2005
> 19:16:33 GMT, "Johnnyboy" <mofoputa@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> >Does anyone on this group know of a RAZR V3 driver that actually works on
> >Windows 64 bit ?
> >
> >I've googled away and got nowhere. Motorola weren't any help.
> >
> >I've only got my USB cable here at home and simply want to charge the phone.
> >I've tried the 32 bit supplied drivers and they fail miserably since they
> >have to be 64 bit. Bit of a bonehead idea that you can't even charge the
> >phone unless you have drivers installed but anyway .....
>
> Really? The phone doesn't just charge itself from the power on the USB cable?
> Are you sure?
> --
> Best regards, HELP FOR CINGULAR GSM & SONY ERICSSON PHONES:
> John Navas <http://navasgrp.home.att.net/#Cingular&gt;

Yes, totally sure.

I guess that Windows XP 64 bit will not allow access to the USB ports
until you have loaded a driver. I couldn't quite believe it myself when
it failed to charge the phone.

I started to install a version of Linux (Mandriva) as I had the DVD
lying around and just as I got to the disk partitioning screen, lo and
behold, the phone started charging. Took me all of 5 minutes to get it
going ;-)

I'm sure that Windows XP 32 bit acted in exactly the same fashion i.e.
would not charge the phone until you installed the BVRP software /
drivers.

Strange but true.

Regards

John Goodwin
Related resources
Anonymous
a b \ Driver
August 1, 2005 10:43:21 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.motorola (More info?)

[POSTED TO alt.cellular.motorola - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

In <1122917726.747342.191600@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com> on 1 Aug 2005
10:35:26 -0700, "Johnnyboy" <johnnyhonda@gmail.com> wrote:

>John Navas wrote:
>>
>> In <lgvGe.253490$Vo6.235432@fe3.news.blueyonder.co.uk> on Fri, 29 Jul 2005
>> 19:16:33 GMT, "Johnnyboy" <mofoputa@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> >Does anyone on this group know of a RAZR V3 driver that actually works on
>> >Windows 64 bit ?
>> >
>> >I've googled away and got nowhere. Motorola weren't any help.
>> >
>> >I've only got my USB cable here at home and simply want to charge the phone.
>> >I've tried the 32 bit supplied drivers and they fail miserably since they
>> >have to be 64 bit. Bit of a bonehead idea that you can't even charge the
>> >phone unless you have drivers installed but anyway .....
>>
>> Really? The phone doesn't just charge itself from the power on the USB cable?
>> Are you sure?

>Yes, totally sure.

Because...?

>I guess that Windows XP 64 bit will not allow access to the USB ports
>until you have loaded a driver. ...

Working USB ports always have power. (Otherwise they wouldn't be able to
recognize bus-powered devices.) All that's needed is a basic USB port driver,
not a specific driver for the device. If your USB ports work at all, then you
have a basic USB driver and bus power.

>I started to install a version of Linux (Mandriva) as I had the DVD
>lying around and just as I got to the disk partitioning screen, lo and
>behold, the phone started charging. Took me all of 5 minutes to get it
>going ;-)

But that wasn't a USB driver for the phone.

>I'm sure that Windows XP 32 bit acted in exactly the same fashion i.e.
>would not charge the phone until you installed the BVRP software /
>drivers.
>
>Strange but true.

I think something else is going on.

--
Best regards, HELP FOR CINGULAR GSM & SONY ERICSSON PHONES:
John Navas <http://navasgrp.home.att.net/#Cingular&gt;
August 2, 2005 2:46:34 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.motorola (More info?)

It certainly is ;-)

At no point does the phone charge on WinXP 32 or 64 bit until you have
installed the Motorola USB driver, normally as a result of installing
'mobile phone tools'. This doesn't help me on WinXP64 since it doesn't
like the driver/INF file.

Had a look around and found out that INF files are either decorated or
undecorated with a NTamd64 tag.

On my old Windows Xp 32 bit OS, I checked the drivers it was using.
usbser.sys and modem.sys. The INF file in question was called
MOTUSB2000.inf. I did try hacking it and adding the NTamd64 tag, then
plugging the USB cable plus phone in to my Windows 64 bit OS install,
but all it detected was a bluetooth modem. Obviously out of my depth on
that one.

Hunted around some more for info on these undecorated tags on INF files
and came up trumps with this URL on the Microsoft site:
http://tinyurl.com/b887w

I made a new DWORD entry on the registry as described, and rebooted.
Pointed the 'New hardware found wizard' at the location I stored the 3
files (usbser.sys, modem.sys and MOTUSB2000.inf).

BINGO. My phone now charges. A lot of effort but I've learnt something
new today, as the old adage goes.

Regards

John Goodwin
August 7, 2005 2:51:18 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.motorola (More info?)

Johnnyboy wrote:
> It certainly is ;-)
>
> At no point does the phone charge on WinXP 32 or 64 bit until you have
> installed the Motorola USB driver, normally as a result of installing
> 'mobile phone tools'. This doesn't help me on WinXP64 since it doesn't
> like the driver/INF file.
>
> Had a look around and found out that INF files are either decorated or
> undecorated with a NTamd64 tag.
>
> On my old Windows Xp 32 bit OS, I checked the drivers it was using.
> usbser.sys and modem.sys. The INF file in question was called
> MOTUSB2000.inf. I did try hacking it and adding the NTamd64 tag, then
> plugging the USB cable plus phone in to my Windows 64 bit OS install,
> but all it detected was a bluetooth modem. Obviously out of my depth on
> that one.
>
> Hunted around some more for info on these undecorated tags on INF files
> and came up trumps with this URL on the Microsoft site:
> http://tinyurl.com/b887w
>
> I made a new DWORD entry on the registry as described, and rebooted.
> Pointed the 'New hardware found wizard' at the location I stored the 3
> files (usbser.sys, modem.sys and MOTUSB2000.inf).
>
> BINGO. My phone now charges. A lot of effort but I've learnt something
> new today, as the old adage goes.
>
> Regards
>
> John Goodwin


Further update:

Today, my phone actually ran right out of battery. Not even enough
grunt to turn the screen on for a second.

Went to charge via USB with the phone off, and Windows 64/32 bit said
USB device not recognised. Tried on several PC's and different
non-Windows OSes and got nowhere.

So my hunch is there is something in the phone when it is switched on
that control the charging of the battery from the power on the USB
port. No charge in the battery and it will not work.

Plug in the mains adapter and it all works fine. What an odd setup.

Looking on the plug of the USB cable, there is a small rectangular
cutout that is filled with black plastic. Look on the almost identical
mains charger plug and there is the same rectangular hole, but this
time - there are three metal contacts. Perhaps that is why the mains
charger operates differently to the USB one.

Hope this helps and you don't get caught out one day if you only have
the USB cable to hand ;-)

Regards

JB
!