Security Update

dakotablues1

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2010
Is anyone having an issue with Microsoft's new activation tech update for Windows 7? I don't. I downloaded the update, it ran no issues found at this time. I think it is a good tool to tell if your system has been unknowingly hacked and pirated. It does however, want to recheck every 90 days. I simply opened Task Scheduler, went to microsoft/windows/windows activation technologies. open that. there will be 2 tasks set to start every 90 days. I opened properties/triggers/edit and reset it to 365 days. no problem. FYI

I didn't install it either. Unlike mousemonkey, I don't have a hidden (or maybe not so hidden anymore) grudge against Microsoft :), I just know that my copy is genuine, so there's really no need to bother checking.

Unless of course Microsoft is hacking their own keys for distribution through Technet... haha.

I don't got a grudge, I just don't see why my OS should keep phoning home every 90 days.

dakotablues1

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2010

Well, this was more FYI I was curious as to wither or not the 90 days was set in stone, modifiable, or the update would have to be removed manually. ( other much less savvy household and family members) So I Guinea pigged myself to find out. The 90 day recheck is NOT set in stone, the task can be modified via task scheduler properties/triggers dialog.