Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Cascading Routers in a big house

Last response: in Networking
February 9, 2013 10:44:17 AM

We live in a old large single story house. Verizon vios is set up on one side of the house. 100 feet and 6 walls later is the furthest room from my router. As you can guess there is no wifi in that area of the house. Can I use my old router as a slave in the attic for better reception in the furthest area? I'm not sure that I have a long enough lan cable, maybe 25 feet long. Still, would that be worth it going into the attic or is there a better way?

Best solution

February 9, 2013 2:05:34 PM

Once you decide to crawl around in the attic you might as well buy a long enough cable so you don't have to go do it again for a while. A 100ft cable is likely less than $10.

Your plan is best option to increase the signal. You want to run the second router as a AP but that can be as simple as hooking to the lan port and disabling DHCP. It should work very in the attic, the hardest thing tends to be finding a power plug.
February 9, 2013 2:25:47 PM

Damn, I didnt even think about that. lol I could just run a bridge wire from one end of the house to the other. Drill a hole into a closet or storage room and connect it there.
m
l
Related resources
February 10, 2013 11:12:21 PM

Best answer selected by Syres1.
m
l
February 11, 2013 7:12:45 PM

Being unfamiliar with your specific router, the best answer I can give you is, "maybe". Some routers have settings that will allow you to use them in just such a manner, acting as basically a switch and WAP, passing all the rest of the work off to the master router. If you are capable, and willing to, just run a wired ethernet cable from router A, accross the attic to and down to the furthest room away where you want to put router B. Sure you can put router B in the attic, but it will get HOT and COLD beyond the environmental limits of most electronics which means it will fail VERY quickly, like within a year if you live in a hot, or cold climate. And of course getting power to it...

Best bet then would be to run an ethernet drop into the room furthest away from router A. If you have a telephone jack, or coaxial cable in that room, then your job just got a whole lot easier as you can use those, fitted with a cord to pull them back down, to "backpull" the ethernet cable into the same box / faceplate as the phone / coax...
m
l
!