Morrowind Magic

Anyone know the best character class/star sign for a powerful mage later in
the game? One that doesn't die too often maybe?

Also, do not remember how to delete magic from your list, what do you press
on the keyboard?

Thanks

On Sat, 19 Mar 2005 20:17:32 -0600, "Mark Earnest"
<mark45@SPAMLESSairmail.net> wrote:

>Anyone know the best character class/star sign for a powerful mage later in
>the game? One that doesn't die too often maybe?
>
>Also, do not remember how to delete magic from your list, what do you press
>on the keyboard?

I've tried all kinds of things - I currently like Bretons with stunted
magicka....

To delete a spell you shift-click on it in the spell list and then say
yes when asked if you really mean it.

On Sat, 19 Mar 2005 20:17:32 -0600, "Mark Earnest"
<mark45@SPAMLESSairmail.net> wrote:

>Anyone know the best character class/star sign for a powerful mage later in
>the game? One that doesn't die too often maybe?

The Atronach, no question. Other signs don't give you enough mana to
cast the more powerful spells, unless you're using some mod.

>Also, do not remember how to delete magic from your list, what do you press
>on the keyboard?

Shift-click it, and you'll be given the option to delete.

"Greg Johnson" <greg.gsj@gmail.com> wrote in message
> On Sat, 19 Mar 2005 20:17:32 -0600, "Mark Earnest"
> <mark45@SPAMLESSairmail.net> wrote:
>
>>Anyone know the best character class/star sign for a powerful mage later
>>in
>>the game? One that doesn't die too often maybe?
>
> The Atronach, no question. Other signs don't give you enough mana to
> cast the more powerful spells, unless you're using some mod.

Thanks. But Atronachs come with "stunted magika."
What exactly is that?

>>Also, do not remember how to delete magic from your list, what do you
>>press
>>on the keyboard?
>>
> Shift-click it, and you'll be given the option to delete.

On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 02:06:33 -0600, "Mark Earnest"
<mark45@SPAMLESSairmail.net> wrote:

>"Greg Johnson" <greg.gsj@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> On Sat, 19 Mar 2005 20:17:32 -0600, "Mark Earnest"
>> <mark45@SPAMLESSairmail.net> wrote:
>>
>>>Anyone know the best character class/star sign for a powerful mage later
>>>in
>>>the game? One that doesn't die too often maybe?
>>
>> The Atronach, no question. Other signs don't give you enough mana to
>> cast the more powerful spells, unless you're using some mod.
>

> Thanks. But Atronachs come with "stunted magika."
> What exactly is that?

They can't regenerate magic by resting, but only through potions or
their innate ability to absorb spells. If you do use this sign, a couple
of good tricks are to summon an Ancestor Ghost and attack it, to make it
cast spells on you, or to pay the temple shrines to get them to cast
spells on you (the price varies according to the shrine, I think).

> On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 02:06:33 -0600, "Mark Earnest"
> <mark45@SPAMLESSairmail.net> wrote:
>

>>"Greg Johnson" <greg.gsj@gmail.com> wrote in message

>>> The Atronach, no question. Other signs don't give you enough mana to
>>> cast the more powerful spells, unless you're using some mod.
>>

>> Thanks. But Atronachs come with "stunted magika."
>> What exactly is that?
>
> They can't regenerate magic by resting, but only through potions or
> their innate ability to absorb spells. If you do use this sign, a couple
> of good tricks are to summon an Ancestor Ghost and attack it, to make it
> cast spells on you, or to pay the temple shrines to get them to cast
> spells on you (the price varies according to the shrine, I think).

Thanks Greg. You make it sound like the best, so I may just have to try it.
I suppose I will have to buy restore magika potions before I can summon
ancestor ghost.

Mark

On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 02:53:28 -0600, "Mark Earnest"
<mark45@SPAMLESSairmail.net> wrote:

>Thanks Greg. You make it sound like the best, so I may just have to try it.
>I suppose I will have to buy restore magika potions before I can summon
>ancestor ghost.

Buy alchemy gear and make your own. Make real good friends with
Whitehaven in Balmora.

"Mark Earnest" <mark45@SPAMLESSairmail.net> wrote in message

> "Greg Johnson" <greg.gsj@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 02:06:33 -0600, "Mark Earnest"
>> <mark45@SPAMLESSairmail.net> wrote:
>>

>>>"Greg Johnson" <greg.gsj@gmail.com> wrote in message

>>> Thanks. But Atronachs come with "stunted magika."
>>> What exactly is that?
>>
>> They can't regenerate magic by resting, but only through potions or
>> their innate ability to absorb spells. If you do use this sign, a couple
>> of good tricks are to summon an Ancestor Ghost and attack it, to make it
>> cast spells on you, or to pay the temple shrines to get them to cast
>> spells on you (the price varies according to the shrine, I think).
>

> Thanks Greg. You make it sound like the best, so I may just have to try
> it. I suppose I will have to buy restore magika potions before I can
> summon ancestor ghost.
>
> Mark

Make Conjuration a major skill and you will be able to summon a ghost
immediately. Can't remember if it is 100% at start but if not it is very
high. You also are able to conjure a dagger immediately.

"ALMA ENGELS" <thirinel@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message

> "Mark Earnest" <mark45@SPAMLESSairmail.net> wrote in message
>>
>> "Greg Johnson" <greg.gsj@gmail.com> wrote in message

>>> They can't regenerate magic by resting, but only through potions or
>>> their innate ability to absorb spells. If you do use this sign, a couple
>>> of good tricks are to summon an Ancestor Ghost and attack it, to make it
>>> cast spells on you, or to pay the temple shrines to get them to cast
>>> spells on you (the price varies according to the shrine, I think).
>>

>> Thanks Greg. You make it sound like the best, so I may just have to try
>> it. I suppose I will have to buy restore magika potions before I can
>> summon ancestor ghost.
>>
>> Mark
>>
> Make Conjuration a major skill and you will be able to summon a ghost
> immediately. Can't remember if it is 100% at start but if not it is very
> high. You also are able to conjure a dagger immediately.

Thanks. Now I have been teleporting everywhere trying to find
summon ancestor ghost. Where is it sold to a beginner?

> "ALMA ENGELS" <thirinel@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
>>
>> "Mark Earnest" <mark45@SPAMLESSairmail.net> wrote in message
>>>
>>> "Greg Johnson" <greg.gsj@gmail.com> wrote in message

>>> Thanks Greg. You make it sound like the best, so I may just have to try
>>> it. I suppose I will have to buy restore magika potions before I can
>>> summon ancestor ghost.
>>>
>>> Mark
>>>
>> Make Conjuration a major skill and you will be able to summon a ghost
>> immediately. Can't remember if it is 100% at start but if not it is very
>> high. You also are able to conjure a dagger immediately.
>
> Thanks. Now I have been teleporting everywhere trying to find
> summon ancestor ghost. Where is it sold to a beginner?

The travel guide in Balmora has a number of conjuration spells and it may be
there. Think another mage in the group also has conjuration spells. What
level is conjuration? If it is a major you start with 30. Lesser you will
have to raise. Unfortunately I never found a really mana-cheap conjuration
spell to practice with. There is 'turn undead' which uses 5 mana (BTW turn
undead doesn't work). If you find this spell be sure it is listed as a
conjuration spell. There is one that is not assigned to any magic class and
is useless.

BTW there are times when the atronach is a difficult class. I am playing
Children of the Night 2 which has no access to temples and an atronach would
have a hard time there.

ALMA ENGELS wrote:

> The travel guide in Balmora has a number of conjuration spells and it may be
> there. Think another mage in the group also has conjuration spells. What
> level is conjuration? If it is a major you start with 30. Lesser you will
> have to raise. Unfortunately I never found a really mana-cheap conjuration
> spell to practice with.

Try the undead swarm approach. Create a spell: summon skeleton + ghost +
bonewalker + etc. for 5 seconds (cheap & easy to cast). Buy 5 of these
with different names and keep casting them in turn. You then have a
horde harassing the enemy, and you don't waste much mana when they die,
and you get lots of casting practice.

Or you could run around casting cheap 1-point training spells, but
that's boring.

"Mark Earnest" <mark45@SPAMLESSairmail.net> wrote:

>"ALMA ENGELS" <thirinel@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
>>
>> "Mark Earnest" <mark45@SPAMLESSairmail.net> wrote in message
>>>
>>> "Greg Johnson" <greg.gsj@gmail.com> wrote in message

>>> Thanks Greg. You make it sound like the best, so I may just have to try
>>> it. I suppose I will have to buy restore magika potions before I can
>>> summon ancestor ghost.
>>>
>>> Mark
>>>
>> Make Conjuration a major skill and you will be able to summon a ghost
>> immediately. Can't remember if it is 100% at start but if not it is very
>> high. You also are able to conjure a dagger immediately.
>
>Thanks. Now I have been teleporting everywhere trying to find
>summon ancestor ghost. Where is it sold to a beginner?

With Conjuration as major you should start with it.

"Cardinal Fang" <fang@spam.me> wrote in message
> ALMA ENGELS wrote:
>>
>> The travel guide in Balmora has a number of conjuration spells and it may
>> be there. Think another mage in the group also has conjuration spells.
>> What level is conjuration? If it is a major you start with 30. Lesser
>> you will have to raise. Unfortunately I never found a really mana-cheap
>> conjuration spell to practice with.
>
> Try the undead swarm approach. Create a spell: summon skeleton + ghost +
> bonewalker + etc. for 5 seconds (cheap & easy to cast). Buy 5 of these
> with different names and keep casting them in turn. You then have a horde
> harassing the enemy, and you don't waste much mana when they die, and you
> get lots of casting practice.
>
> Or you could run around casting cheap 1-point training spells, but that's
> boring.
I never create cheap 1-point training spells but there are at least two in
the game: one in Caldera and the other in Gnisis if you do the Imperial Cult
quest. The Caldera one is a lock 10 and I use it with a picklock to raise
one or the other or both skills. My characters will use their mana before
they sleep-- especially if they are non-mage types. My current Imperial
will probably never cast a destruction spell but his security is now quite
high. There are also 2 mana spells in the game for mysticism and illusion
and destruction. My characters will also cast spells prior to travelling as
the travel rest restores health and mana. I could train these skills as my
character has mucho gold but he prefers to mostly learn by practice.

As for summoning spells I once had a Breton cast many of these including
Golden Saint to defeat Gaynor -- she watched from the sidelines.

> "Mark Earnest" <mark45@SPAMLESSairmail.net> wrote in message
>>
>> "ALMA ENGELS" <thirinel@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
>>>
>>> "Mark Earnest" <mark45@SPAMLESSairmail.net> wrote in message

>>> Make Conjuration a major skill and you will be able to summon a ghost
>>> immediately. Can't remember if it is 100% at start but if not it is
>>> very high. You also are able to conjure a dagger immediately.
>>
>> Thanks. Now I have been teleporting everywhere trying to find
>> summon ancestor ghost. Where is it sold to a beginner?
>>
> The travel guide in Balmora has a number of conjuration spells and it may
> be there. Think another mage in the group also has conjuration spells.
> What level is conjuration? If it is a major you start with 30. Lesser
> you will have to raise. Unfortunately I never found a really mana-cheap
> conjuration spell to practice with. There is 'turn undead' which uses 5
> mana (BTW turn undead doesn't work). If you find this spell be sure it
> is listed as a conjuration spell. There is one that is not assigned to
> any magic class and is useless.

Thanks for the help. You've got both me and a friend playing the atronach
now. Just wish you didn't have to kill the ancestral ghost
for helping you out!

Mark

He's already dead. He doesn't mind being killed.

Rick R.

> "ALMA ENGELS" <thirinel@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
>>
>> "Mark Earnest" <mark45@SPAMLESSairmail.net> wrote in message
>>>
>>> "ALMA ENGELS" <thirinel@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message

>>> Thanks. Now I have been teleporting everywhere trying to find
>>> summon ancestor ghost. Where is it sold to a beginner?
>>>
>> The travel guide in Balmora has a number of conjuration spells and it may
>> be there. Think another mage in the group also has conjuration spells.
>> What level is conjuration? If it is a major you start with 30. Lesser
>> you will have to raise. Unfortunately I never found a really mana-cheap
>> conjuration spell to practice with. There is 'turn undead' which uses 5
>> mana (BTW turn undead doesn't work). If you find this spell be sure it
>> is listed as a conjuration spell. There is one that is not assigned to
>> any magic class and is useless.
>
> Thanks for the help. You've got both me and a friend playing the atronach
> now. Just wish you didn't have to kill the ancestral ghost
> for helping you out!
>
> Mark

You don't have to kill ancestral ghosts if you don't want to. You can get
mana recharged at altars and in battles by capturing some of the magic the
monsters use on you and also sometimes restore mana from traps you haven't
disarmed.

BTW the ancestor ghost is wonderful in the first dungeon. If you have one
with you, you can position it between yourself and the dart thrower. Since
the dart thrower hasn't actually attacked you yet, she will throw her darts
and the ghost will stop them.

> "Cardinal Fang" <fang@spam.me> wrote in message
>> Or you could run around casting cheap 1-point training spells, but
>> that's boring.
> I never create cheap 1-point training spells but there are at least
> two in the game: one in Caldera and the other in Gnisis if you do the
> Imperial Cult quest.

There are some cheap 1-point spells you can create that are actually
useful. A short levitate, strength 1 spell will get you flying, and who
cares if you have to recast it every few seconds? It gives good training in
magic, and if you forget to recast it in time you get training in
acrobatics and healing instead :)

I also find a one second detect magic item useful. Even using one spell
point it can get a fairly good range, and you can use it as a sonar,
"pinging" regularly on the way out of a dungeon to see if you've missed
anything.

Thomas Palm in <Xns9621E17365BF5ThomasPalmchellose@212.83.64.229>:

> > > casting cheap 1-point training spells, but that's boring.
> > I never create cheap 1-point training spells but there are at least
> > two in the game: one in Caldera and the other in Gnisis if you do the
> > Imperial Cult quest.
>
> There are some cheap 1-point spells you can create that are actually
> useful. A short levitate, strength 1 spell will get you flying, and who
> cares if you have to recast it every few seconds? It gives good training in
> magic, and if you forget to recast it in time you get training in
> acrobatics and healing instead :)

It doesn't have to be a cheap and useless spell. Night-Eye with pleasant
strength for a few seconds, so that you can explore dark corners. Bound
<weapon> combined with the appropriate Fortify <skill> for 10..15 seconds,
enough for taking out a single enemy. Fortify Speed for 3..4 seconds but
otherwise as strong as you can make it at that time, for travelling fast.

In fact, the fastest way of travelling is equipping an item with CE
Levitate (at least one point) and casting after-burner spells with
500..1000 points of Fortify Speed and/or Levitate for 3..4 seconds. You'll
burn a lot of fuel that way but Restore Magicka potions are cheap,
especially if you brew them yourself. On my computer the load intervals at
tile borders got really annoying at speeds higher than 600..800, but YMMV.

For some schools there is no way of training in a fashion that is useful at
the same time. You could cast training spells (preferrably at self, to
avoid mishaps) while going/flying from A to B when you don't have anything
else to do anyway. There's no way around it, to fully learn a skill a can
either do the required 3000..10000 whacks (a.k.a. 'successful uses') in
some way or pay a trainer. This is completely brain-damaged but so is
pretty much everything else in the game (obviously it took a lot of time to
hand-place the hundreds/thousands of cups, knives, platters etc. pp. and so
Bethesda never got around to progressing the underlying game itself beyond
the earliest prototype stages).