New PSU fan doesn't work?

YATLA

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2002
Ok, I tried to save some money and upgrade the noisy fan in my old Deer 300 W PSU with an Antec 80mm thermal control Smartfan. The fan that was in the PSU is a Power Logic 12V 0.14A 80mm fan. When I started the PSU with the Antec installed, the fan wouldn't spin. I spliced and soldered the 2 pin connector from the old fan to the Antec (red/red and blk/blk). I thought maybe the wiring was bad, and tested the Antec with a 9V transistor battery and it works fine, so it starts at 9V. Why doesn't the fan spin when connected to the PSU board? I noticed that it start and spins for a second or so after the PSU power switch is turned off... Does it maybe need more amps to start than the board gives? Amp rating of the Antec is from 0.109 to 0.225 as it spins from 1600 to 2900 rpm. Any thoughts on why the fan won't spin???

YATLA

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2002
Well, I replaced the Antec with a pctoys stealth (aka Vantec stealth) and the vantec works fine. I had the vantec as the case fan, and so swapped the Antec with the Vantec. Maybe I should have had a clue when the Antec comes with a 4 pin psu connector for the 12 v instead of a 3 pin. The Antec must pull more starting amps than the PSU board delivers. Also, noticed that the Antec indicated 3600 rpm from the start - some thermal control...if I hadn't cut the wires, I'd return it.

YATLA

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2002
I must be somewhat lucky with the Deer I have. It's been reliable (just noisy) and runs my ECS K7S5A with a simple setup w/HD, CD RW, DVD, and GF2 without complaint. Given all the problems and bad press the K7S5A gets, I'm surprized I don't have more problems with the combo Deer and ECS. Maybe some problems will show up when I upgrade the 1.3 Duron to something faster.