Upgrade to 64 bit

Hello guys,

I have a 64 bit mobo but i am currently using 32 bit windows 7. i wish to use a 64 bit OS so that i can use my resources well.

I heard that to upgrade i have to do a clean install. I fail to understand this.

I wouldnt worry if all my installed apps are deleted as i have all my setup files backed up but would a clean install delete my files from the other drives like D, E and F.

Can i move my files from C drive to the others and do the upgrade? will the other drives be affected with the upgrade?

I am not worried about installed files.. i am worried about my docs photos movies and music files.

Please help..

Thank You

PS- this is my first post here :bounce:
16 answers Last reply
More about upgrade
  1. A clean install will only affect your C drive, format it to get best results. The installation procedure will not affect your data drives unless you tell it to... If you are still worried disconnect your data drives until you've installed windows!
  2. sorry but i cant understand what is meant by disconnect data drives?
  3. nilot27 said:
    sorry but i cant understand what is meant by disconnect data drives?

Simply remove the connections to the motherboard. (SATA cables, red ones...) Unless you have partitioned one drive?
  4. I have only one hard disc
  5. OK. 'D' 'E' etcetera are logical drives, but no matter. Transfer all your docs pics and music to D or E along with your downloaded setup files. I'll get back to you shortly with the next step...
  6. Before you initiate setup go to Computer and make a note of the size of the drives, especially 'C'. When you get to the installation screen the drives are listed as partitions
    not by their letters, and we don't want to install to the wrong one...
  7. When you're ready boot from your Installation disk, choose Language etc., 'Install Now' and 'Custom' (Advanced).
    Next screen is 'Where do you want to Install Windows'.
    You should see Partition 1 'System Reserved' Partition 2 'Primary' (Should correspond in size to your 'C'drive) and then Partition 3 etcetera.
    Select partition 2 and 'Advanced Drive options'
    Choose 'Format' and then Install to that drive. Your logical drives should not be touched, but it is always best to backup your really important stuff to an external drive if you can.
  8. Don't have a external drive..don't know how to backup 300gb...
  9. Do you even have 4GB+ of RAM? Do you want to use applications that will benefit from 4GB+ of RAM? If not, then I seriously wouldn't bother. You will gain literally NOTHING "upgrading" to a 64bit OS... except that it will use more disk space and potentially unavailable drivers for old hardware.
  10. Well, it shouldn't go wrong! Just make sure you install to the right partition...or buy a 500 gig internal drive and back up to that, cheapest option for peace-of-mind.
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Seagate-500-GB-Internal-7200-RPM-8-89-cm-3-5-ST3500411SV-Hard-Drive-/280892526238?pt=UK_Computing_Other_Computing_Networking&hash=item41667fce9e
  11. I have 2 gb ram but will soon upgrade..frnd told me upgrading would increase performance..
  12. nilot27 said:
    I have 2 gb ram but will soon upgrade..frnd told me upgrading would increase performance..

64 bit OSes DO NOT have better performance than their 32 bit counterparts when both only have 2GB of RAM available running 32bit applications (which frankly is about 99% of apps). Any performance increase in any given application is due to the 64bit OS being able to utlilize more RAM - but only if you have 4GB or more. The fact is MOST apps only use 2GB anyway (because they are 32bit apps), so most users gain NOTHING performance-wise from switching to a 64bit OS.
  13. That's the main advantage of 64bit OS, 32 bit can't handle greater than 4Gb RAM. BUT unless you have a specific reason for using greater than 4 Gb, the upgrade won't be worth the hassle. Do your upgrade to 4 Gb then keep an eye on your memory usage.
  14. So first upgrade RAM...then I upgrade os if ram is not utilized..am I right?
  15. nilot27 said:
    So first upgrade RAM...then I upgrade os if ram is not utilized..am I right?

Upgrade OS if you find whatever you're doing needs more than 4Gb RAM. Like video editing/rendering etc. Most apps will run happily with 4 Gb installed.
  16. dodger46 said:
    Upgrade OS if you find whatever you're doing needs more than 4Gb RAM. Like video editing/rendering etc. Most apps will run happily with 4 Gb installed.

Yep.
Ask a new question

Read More

Clean Install Windows 7