[WoW] How I got World of Warcraft to run on Linux

Archived from groups: comp.os.linux.x,alt.games.warcraft,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

Here's how I got _World of Warcraft_ to run on my Linux box and ATI
video card with excellent results. Since I see a *lot* of weeping and
moaning online about how problematic the process is, I thought I'd
share wisdom gleaned from my experience.

BACKGROUND
System: Athlon 1400GHz, 512MB RAM
Card: ATI Radeon 9500 Pro, 128MB video RAM
Driver: fglrx_6_8_0-8.10.19 RPM available at ATI Website
Emulator: CVS Cedega
Game version: 1.2.4

STEPS
* Follow all the directions at
<URL:http://www.linux-gamers.net/modules/wfsection/article.php?articleid=45>
to install the CVS version of Cedega. I captured the snapshot on
Saturday, 19 March early in the morning.

The default Cedega installation puts all files in your home
directory. Make sure you have enough free space there, or do what I
did and, after Cedega installs, move ~/.cvscedega and ~/.WineCVS to
another partition or drive and create softlinks to the original
locations.

* I don't know how often Transgaming updates the CVS archive. I do
know that, regardless of the company's claims for its latest
4.3 commercial release
(<URL:http://downloads.transgaming.com/files/cedega-4.3_releasenotes.html>),
on my system I *do* have to follow the exec-shield, legacy VA layout,
and noexec steps outlined at
<URL:http://transgaming.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1325>. (To be
accurate, I *know* at least one of these three steps is required for
me. I haven't bothered to experiment to figure out which one; perhaps
they all are.) I did *not* have to disable automatic prelinking, also
mentioned in the previous link, so presumably Transgaming's work there
has migrated into the CVS code.

* Copy the contents of each World of Warcraft CD (or the DVD) to a
single directory on your computer.

* Install the game with something like

$ cvscedega /path/to/previous/directory/Installer.exe

It's a long installation process, but fortunately there's no need to
swap CDs (which is problematic on Cedega; thus our installing it this
way in the first place). Don't be surprised if the installer crashes
at the end.

* Make sure ~/.cvscedega/config (the Cedega configuration file) has a
section that reads something like this:

[d3dgl]
"AnisotropicTextureFiltering" = "Y"
"VertexShaders" = "Y"
"VertexShaderMode" = "Hardware"
"PixelShaders" = "N"
"ClipSpaceFix" = "Y"

Also, where it reads

; Use a desktop window of 640x480 for Wine
"Desktop" = "800x600"

Make sure to comment out the "Desktop" line. This ensures WoW will run
in full screen mode, which is important.

* Run the game with something like

$ cvscedega -- \
~/.cvscedega/c_drive/Program\Files/World\ of\ Warcraft/WoW.exe \
-opengl

The game will repeatedly download patches then restart. Again, don't
be surprised if there are crashes; simply run WoW.exe again. However,
give each patch download some time to get started before assuming
Cedega has crashed; it's a slow process.

* Run the game again. Log into an existing World of Warcraft account
(I don't have firsthand experience with creating one on Linux, but
don't see why it wouldn't work) and character. Yay! The game is
running, with decent graphical performance and good sound. However,
note the horrible graphical corruption that occurs.

* Never fear; go to
<URL:http://digital-conquest.ath.cx/wiki/index.php/World_of_Warcraft>)
and follow the steps under "How to use OpenGL rendering" up through
step 4. Since we're not using Point2Play, modify the path in step 1
accordingly. These are the lines that magically enable the WoW/CVS
Cedega/ATI combination to work without bugs.

* Run the game again. Note how 99% of the graphical corruption has
disappeared. On my computer, with the lowest graphical detail settings
according to Ctrl-R I get about 10-25 fps outdoors, which is eminently
playable in my book (I'm used to similar settings when playing WoW on
my 800MHz iBook G4). The absolute, positive worst I've seen is 1-2 fps
in the Ironforge auction house, but then lag there is horrible for
everyone. Overall, all is well with Linux in the land of Azeroth.

CAVEATS
* I am writing this from memory and quite possibly forgot important
steps.
* I also tried running the game with the latest (also as of 19 March)
CVS version of Wine (<URL:http://www.winehq.org/>), Cedega's
cousin. Without going into details, I found that while the game ran
much faster than under CVS Cedega, sound did not work well, with
many buffer overruns. This is possibly because the ~/.wine/config as
installed by the Wine CVS installation script appears incomplete.
* In any case, the WoW 1.3 released today reportedly breaks
compatibility with Wine and, thus, quite possibly breaks Cedega
compatibility as well, but I haven't had a chance to see for
myself. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

--
<URL:http://www.pobox.com/~ylee/> PERTH ----> *
Cpu(s): 23.2% us, 4.6% sy, 0.5% ni, 67.6% id, 3.8% wa, 0.3% hi, 0.0% si

Archived from groups: comp.os.linux.x,alt.games.warcraft,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

[WoW] How I got World of Warcraft to run on Win32

I went to the store, bought WoW, and installed it on my home machine while I
ate a bag of Doritos.

"Grackle" <nowhere@lalaland.ca> wrote in message
> [WoW] How I got World of Warcraft to run on Win32
>
> I went to the store, bought WoW, and installed it on my home machine while
> I ate a bag of Doritos.

*voiceover*

There's no wrong way to install WoW on Win32.

Archived from groups: comp.os.linux.x,alt.games.warcraft,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

"Grackle" <nowhere@lalaland.ca> wrote in

> [WoW] How I got World of Warcraft to run on Win32
>
> I went to the store, bought WoW, and installed it on my home machine
> while I ate a bag of Doritos.

So what? Any idiot can install WoW on Win32. Installing it on Linux is an
accomplishment. You can't brag about installing WoW on Win32.

--
~ Cyde Weys ~
So say we all.

"Cyde Weys" <cyde@umd.edu> wrote in message
> "Grackle" <nowhere@lalaland.ca> wrote in
>
>> [WoW] How I got World of Warcraft to run on Win32
>>
>> I went to the store, bought WoW, and installed it on my home machine
>> while I ate a bag of Doritos.
>
> So what? Any idiot can install WoW on Win32. Installing it on Linux is
> an
> accomplishment. You can't brag about installing WoW on Win32.

Riding a pogo-stick to work on the highway is also an accomplishment. But
you don't impress anyone but other pogo-commuters. The rest of us take the
car, get to work on time, and do more productive things with the time we
saved. Just because you have a narrow and specialized knowledge about a
particular OS doesn't actually make you smarter.

Archived from groups: comp.os.linux.x,alt.games.warcraft,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

Yeechang Lee <ylee@pobox.com> once tried to test me with:

> * Follow all the directions at
><URL:http://www.linux-gamers.net/modules/wfsection/article.php?articleid
>=45>
> to install the CVS version of Cedega. I captured the snapshot on
> Saturday, 19 March early in the morning.

I assume that Cedega is a windows emulator for Linux? Does this work on a
lot of games? Like can you name some other ones it works with besides WoW?
Also is this for a particular flavor of Linux or what?

Once a Gamer, Always a Gamer.

Archived from groups: comp.os.linux.x,alt.games.warcraft,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

In article <Xns9621D328B55AD2galopagosterrapincy@199.45.49.11
>, Cyde Weys <cyde@umd.edu> wrote:

>"Grackle" <nowhere@lalaland.ca> wrote in
>
>> [WoW] How I got World of Warcraft to run on Win32
>>
>> I went to the store, bought WoW, and installed it on my home machine
>> while I ate a bag of Doritos.
>
>So what? Any idiot can install WoW on Win32. Installing it on Linux is an
>accomplishment. You can't brag about installing WoW on Win32.

Clyde, Clyde, Clyde. * sigh * [ and this is being posted through a university
server ? ].

Jim

bombelly@wahs.ac (foamy) wrote in news:Sy50e.761522$6l.71621@pd7tw2no:

> In article <Xns9621D328B55AD2galopagosterrapincy@199.45.49.11
>>, Cyde Weys <cyde@umd.edu> wrote:
>
>>So what? Any idiot can install WoW on Win32. Installing it on Linux
>>is an accomplishment. You can't brag about installing WoW on Win32.
>

> Clyde, Clyde, Clyde. * sigh * [ and this is being posted through a
> university server ? ].

Actually, if you bothered to read the posting headers you'd see that it's
being posted through Verizon. :p

And the name is Cyde, not Clyde.

--
~ Cyde Weys ~
So say we all.

Archived from groups: comp.os.linux.x,alt.games.warcraft,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

Knight37 <knight37m@email.com> wrote in

> Yeechang Lee <ylee@pobox.com> once tried to test me with:
>
>> * Follow all the directions at
>><URL:http://www.linux-gamers.net/modules/wfsection/article.php?articlei
>>d =45>
>> to install the CVS version of Cedega. I captured the snapshot on
>> Saturday, 19 March early in the morning.
>
> I assume that Cedega is a windows emulator for Linux? Does this work
> on a lot of games? Like can you name some other ones it works with
> besides WoW? Also is this for a particular flavor of Linux or what?

Actual Cedega isn't so much a Windows emulator as it is a set of packages
made for specific games that lets you run them under Linux. It's made in
conjunction with the game developers. Here's the link for ya (Transgaming
is the company that makes Cedega):

http://www.transgaming.com/

--
~ Cyde Weys ~
So say we all.

Archived from groups: comp.os.linux.x,alt.games.warcraft,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

In article <Xns9621E943F15B22galopagosterrapincy
@199.45.49.11>, Cyde Weys <cyde@umd.edu> wrote:

>> Clyde, Clyde, Clyde. * sigh * [ and this is being posted through a
>> university server ? ].
>
>Actually, if you bothered to read the posting headers you'd see that it's
>being posted through Verizon. :p
>
>And the name is Cyde, not Clyde.

Sorry about the name, my mind filled in the ' l ' , I guess because I've never
seen ' Cyde ' as a name.

I was just referring to your email addy indicating that you most likely aren't
humorless, addled-brained, locked in the basement of the Happy Trails
Nursing Home, and I would have expected you to see the humor in his post. <g>

Jim

bombelly@wahs.ac (foamy) wrote in news:qb60e.758187$Xk.565414@pd7tw3no:

> In article <Xns9621E943F15B22galopagosterrapincy
> @199.45.49.11>, Cyde Weys <cyde@umd.edu> wrote:
>
>>> Clyde, Clyde, Clyde. * sigh * [ and this is being posted through a
>>> university server ? ].
>>
>>Actually, if you bothered to read the posting headers you'd see that
>>it's being posted through Verizon. :p
>>
>>And the name is Cyde, not Clyde.
>

> Sorry about the name, my mind filled in the ' l ' , I guess because
> I've never seen ' Cyde ' as a name.

Don't worry, it gets a lot of people.

> I was just referring to your email addy indicating that you most
> likely aren't humorless, addled-brained, locked in the basement of the
> Happy Trails Nursing Home, and I would have expected you to see the
> humor in his post. <g>

Don't worry, I did. I don't think Grackle got it, though.

--
~ Cyde Weys ~
So say we all.

> "Cyde Weys" <cyde@umd.edu> wrote in message
>> "Grackle" <nowhere@lalaland.ca> wrote in
>>
>>> [WoW] How I got World of Warcraft to run on Win32
>>>
>>> I went to the store, bought WoW, and installed it on my home machine
>>> while I ate a bag of Doritos.
>>
>> So what? Any idiot can install WoW on Win32. Installing it on Linux
>> is an
>> accomplishment. You can't brag about installing WoW on Win32.
>>

> Riding a pogo-stick to work on the highway is also an accomplishment.
> But you don't impress anyone but other pogo-commuters.

I am not a pogo-commuter and it would still impress the hell outta me.

> The rest of us
> take the car, get to work on time, and do more productive things with
> the time we saved. Just because you have a narrow and specialized
> knowledge about a particular OS doesn't actually make you smarter.

Nobody claimed that it made you smarter. All I'm saying is I recognize
the difficulty in getting something to run on a system which it wasn't
made to run on. While putting a rover on Mars has no immediate benefit
to me right now, I still appreciate the genius of the people who did it.

Linux is good for many things. Because it doesn't have a large desktop
share, gaming is not one of those. The OP stated that his iBook is in
the shop and the only computer he has left in the house is a Linux
machine, so he installed WoW on it.

--
~ Cyde Weys ~
So say we all.

Archived from groups: comp.os.linux.x,alt.games.warcraft,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

In article <Xns96229FA9F10B2galopagosterrapincy
@199.45.49.11>, Cyde Weys <cyde@umd.edu> wrote:

>> Sorry about the name, my mind filled in the ' l ' , I guess because
>> I've never seen ' Cyde ' as a name.
>
>Don't worry, it gets a lot of people.
>
>> I was just referring to your email addy indicating that you most
>> likely aren't humorless, addled-brained, locked in the basement of the
>> Happy Trails Nursing Home, and I would have expected you to see the
>> humor in his post. <g>
>
>Don't worry, I did. I don't think Grackle got it, though.

Sadly, in seeing his response, I think you are right.

I've got to crank up my ' unintended humor ' filter. :)

Jim

Cyde Weys wrote:

> Knight37 <knight37m@email.com> wrote in
>

>>Yeechang Lee <ylee@pobox.com> once tried to test me with:
>>

>>>* Follow all the directions at
>>><URL:http://www.linux-gamers.net/modules/wfsection/article.php?articlei
>>>d =45>
>>>to install the CVS version of Cedega. I captured the snapshot on
>>>Saturday, 19 March early in the morning.
>>
>>I assume that Cedega is a windows emulator for Linux? Does this work
>>on a lot of games? Like can you name some other ones it works with
>>besides WoW? Also is this for a particular flavor of Linux or what?
>

> Actual Cedega isn't so much a Windows emulator as it is a set of packages
> made for specific games that lets you run them under Linux. It's made in
> conjunction with the game developers. Here's the link for ya (Transgaming
> is the company that makes Cedega):
>
> http://www.transgaming.com/

I have to say:
A) I'm not a big fan of Cedega. Some games run well while others bog down
B) Linux needs to have better drivers for their video cards before Linux
can be a gaming platform
C) Gah! DirectX nightmare!!!
D) Thank god we have something that is going in the right direction.
Linux makes a better platform for games (IMHO) and should be utilized

I do wish more developers would develop for Linux and I wish NVidia and
ATI were better about their Linux drivers. I also wish wireless
(802.11) worked better in Linux...as it is I can't play online games if
I am using my wireless card. Madwifi is a step in the right direction,
but the VENDOR needs to actually write the drivers...

/rant

Archived from groups: comp.os.linux.x,alt.games.warcraft,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

This is a really cool post. I'd love to get WoW to work on Linux....if
I ever get the darned sound to work under Linux. :)

I have everything else up and running great, but can't get my sound to
work....Any suggestions? Pointers to FAQ's or HOW-TO's?

Todd

James Garvin wrote:
> C) Gah! DirectX nightmare!!!

In the original post he said he ran WoW under Linux with the -opengl
switch, so there was no directx involved.

Archived from groups: comp.os.linux.x,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.os.linux.hardware (More info?)

[ Inappropriate crossposting trimmed a bit ]
["Followup-To:" header set to comp.os.linux.hardware.]
On 23 Mar 2005 14:14:08 -0800, Todd Carnes staggered into the Black Sun
and said:
> This is a really cool post. I'd love to get WoW to work on Linux....if
> I ever get the darned sound to work under Linux. :) I have everything
> else up and running great, but can't get my sound to work....Any
> suggestions? Pointers to FAQ's or HOW-TO's?

This is a question involving hardware support under Linux, therefore it
fits best in comp.os.linux.hardware, *not* any of the other groups this
has been posted to.

For help in getting your sound to work, post the output of "lspci | grep
audio", the output of "uname -a", the output of "lsmod", and the name
and version number of the distro you're using. Someone will probably be
able to tell you exactly what you need to do to get your sound to work
if you provide that information.

http://www.brainbench.com / Hire me!

Todd Carnes wrote:

> This is a really cool post. I'd love to get WoW to work on Linux....if
> I ever get the darned sound to work under Linux. :)
>
> I have everything else up and running great, but can't get my sound to
> work....Any suggestions? Pointers to FAQ's or HOW-TO's?

What kernel are you running? Are you using Alsa?

Todd Carnes wrote:

> James Garvin wrote:
>
>>C) Gah! DirectX nightmare!!!
>

> In the original post he said he ran WoW under Linux with the -opengl
> switch, so there was no directx involved.

My point exactly...

James Garvin wrote:
> Todd Carnes wrote:
>
>> James Garvin wrote:
>>
>>> C) Gah! DirectX nightmare!!!
>>

>> In the original post he said he ran WoW under Linux with the -opengl
>> switch, so there was no directx involved.
>

> My point exactly...

I guess I'm dense. I still don't get what you're trying to say.

My point was that he wasn't using directx. He was using opengl. So, he
didn't have to worry about dealing with the directx BS at all. The way I
read your post you think it's bad that linux doesn't deal well with
directx, but I don't see why that should matter when you're not using
directx to begin with.

Todd Carnes wrote:

> James Garvin wrote:
>
>> Todd Carnes wrote:

>>> In the original post he said he ran WoW under Linux with the -opengl
>>> switch, so there was no directx involved.
>>

>> My point exactly...
>

> I guess I'm dense. I still don't get what you're trying to say.
>
> My point was that he wasn't using directx. He was using opengl. So, he
> didn't have to worry about dealing with the directx BS at all. The way I
> read your post you think it's bad that linux doesn't deal well with
> directx, but I don't see why that should matter when you're not using
> directx to begin with.

Ah, I am the dense one. I suppose that your mind reading isn't quite up
to par so I will have to explain. :)

My point is that DirectX is a mess and that not much in Linux can deal
well with it (or anything that requires it). However, the stuff that
doesn't require DirectX usually works fine (like your example OpenGL)...

I think that may make more sense???

Shadows

Distinguished
May 2, 2003
Archived from groups: comp.os.linux.x,alt.games.warcraft,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

["Followup-To:" header set to comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg.]
On 2005-03-24, Todd Carnes <tcarnes@tds.net> wrote:
> James Garvin wrote:
>> Todd Carnes wrote:

>>> In the original post he said he ran WoW under Linux with the -opengl
>>> switch, so there was no directx involved.
>>

>> My point exactly...
>
> I guess I'm dense. I still don't get what you're trying to say.

You're not dense. James never has successfully been able to have
a technical discussion. It always becomes wierd until it slowly
dawns on you that he has no idea what he's talking about.

shadows wrote:

> ["Followup-To:" header set to comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg.]
> On 2005-03-24, Todd Carnes <tcarnes@tds.net> wrote:
>
>>James Garvin wrote:

>>>My point exactly...
>>
>>I guess I'm dense. I still don't get what you're trying to say.
>

> You're not dense. James never has successfully been able to have
> a technical discussion. It always becomes wierd until it slowly
> dawns on you that he has no idea what he's talking about.

Or that you haven't a clue. You still don't know what a firewall is, do
you?

Archived from groups: comp.os.linux.x,alt.games.warcraft,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

Ok, got it....Basically we're agreeing with each other. :)

Todd Carnes wrote:
> I have everything else up and running great, but can't get my sound
> work....Any suggestions? Pointers to FAQ's or HOW-TO's?

I've seen a program that will let you run virtually any program out
there flawlessly. It also lets your software recognize and work with
almost any hardware device you can name. And it's only about $100. I'll
post a link:

http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=20361035&spf=1&sp=1

-Eric