The Bard's Tale (inXile entertainment) PC demo out

-spotted it at FilePlanet a few minutes ago.

http://www.fileplanet.com/151519/150000/fileinfo/The-Bard's-Tale-Demo

Mirrors are likely available at your favorite file hosting site.

I loved the original trilogy and currently I have a party that's
slogging their way through the ice world in the third Bard's Tale.
People here have pointed out that no connection exists between the
trilogy and this new game which is unfortunate. Hopefully it has
redeeming qualities of its own.

--
best regards, mat
np: [winamp not running]

www.pdxshows.net
10 answers Last reply
More about bard tale inxile entertainment demo

    Vader des Vaderlands wrote:
    > -spotted it at FilePlanet a few minutes ago.
    >
    > http://www.fileplanet.com/151519/150000/fileinfo/The-Bard's-Tale-Demo
    >
    > Mirrors are likely available at your favorite file hosting site.
    >
    > I loved the original trilogy and currently I have a party that's
    > slogging their way through the ice world in the third Bard's Tale.
    > People here have pointed out that no connection exists between the
    > trilogy and this new game which is unfortunate. Hopefully it has
    > redeeming qualities of its own.

    Mildly entertaining voice acting.

    That's about it, as far as my experience with the PS2 version.

    The game, such as it is, is repetitive, boring, and simplistic.

    And no RPG.

    --
    chainbreaker

    Vader des Vaderlands wrote:
    > -spotted it at FilePlanet a few minutes ago.
    >
    > http://www.fileplanet.com/151519/150000/fileinfo/The-Bard's-Tale-Demo
    >
    > Mirrors are likely available at your favorite file hosting site.
    >
    > I loved the original trilogy and currently I have a party that's
    > slogging their way through the ice world in the third Bard's Tale.
    > People here have pointed out that no connection exists between the
    > trilogy and this new game which is unfortunate. Hopefully it has
    > redeeming qualities of its own.

    That was just terrible. The camera was atrociously limited in its view
    of even the very room the party was standing in and some of these rooms
    weren't all that large even.

    I wasn't quite sure what was going on either. A fellow behind a wall of
    ice asked for our help in freeing him and we managed to find the Raven
    Stone he mentioned. I wasn't able to figure out what to do next since
    the only other places were interaction was allowed was at a locked door
    with a symbol of a lifetree. I believe the trapped fellow has the key
    but I could no longer speak with him. Apparenlty the dialogue options
    were exhausted. I started pressing individual keys seeing what they
    would do and all of a sudden the demo crashed and the system rebooted.
    Oops! Hmmm. It's a good thing I saved just before then.

    Apparently the Raven Stone opens that locked door but I could've sworn
    it didn't work. I'll just have to try again.

    Another strange thing about the demo is that it failed to create any
    start menu shortcuts. I had to locate the program and execute it
    directly.

    --
    best regards, mat
    np: [winamp not running]

    www.pdxshows.net

    http://www.demoindex.com/ has the demo to...seems to be a pop.
    download...but I
    have seen these sort of comments...

    "the humor and the dialogues is good, the gameplay boring (judged on the
    demo) and the bugs are VERY annoying. Crash to desktop three times in 1
    hour...."

    ".....a bad, buggy console port......."

    @@@@@@@@@@

    On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 12:56:58 -0800, Vader des Vaderlands
    <vader@vaderlands.nl> wrote:

    >-spotted it at FilePlanet a few minutes ago.
    >
    >http://www.fileplanet.com/151519/150000/fileinfo/The-Bard's-Tale-Demo
    >
    >Mirrors are likely available at your favorite file hosting site.
    >
    >I loved the original trilogy and currently I have a party that's
    >slogging their way through the ice world in the third Bard's Tale.
    >People here have pointed out that no connection exists between the
    >trilogy and this new game which is unfortunate. Hopefully it has
    >redeeming qualities of its own.

    Had a quick try, didn't like it - unintuitive interface, no pop-ups
    telling you what's what, etc. It terms of looks, it it's similar to
    Neverwinter Nights, ie 3d isometric.

    And what's with all the carrots ?

    On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 21:37:23 +0000, Mark Morrison <drdpikeuk@aol.com>
    wrote:

    >On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 12:56:58 -0800, Vader des Vaderlands
    ><vader@vaderlands.nl> wrote:
    >
    >>-spotted it at FilePlanet a few minutes ago.
    >>
    >>http://www.fileplanet.com/151519/150000/fileinfo/The-Bard's-Tale-Demo
    >>
    >>Mirrors are likely available at your favorite file hosting site.
    >>
    >>I loved the original trilogy and currently I have a party that's
    >>slogging their way through the ice world in the third Bard's Tale.
    >>People here have pointed out that no connection exists between the
    >>trilogy and this new game which is unfortunate. Hopefully it has
    >>redeeming qualities of its own.
    >
    >Had a quick try, didn't like it - unintuitive interface, no pop-ups
    >telling you what's what, etc. It terms of looks, it it's similar to
    >Neverwinter Nights, ie 3d isometric.

    It wouldn't install to my E: drive despite giving no error messages. Just
    happily installed to c:\program files. If that's the level of programming
    excellence, then I guess I'd rather go use an emulator to play the
    originals.

    --
    Michael Cecil
    http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/

    Actually the reviews for XBOX / PlAyStaTioN thingies-toy-box versions are
    preety good...its not great..
    but fun...worth the demo perhaps ?? ...look here for many reviews ....
    http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/xbx/bardstale

    Luv mouse
    @@@@

    Mark Morrison wrote:
    > But I don't care - I went shopping for games today, and bought a bunch
    > of second hand games I'm playing through - Jedi Academy, Arx Fatalis
    > (£5 !), The Watchmaker, Painkiller and NOLF (for 99p !!!).

    99p -such a steal for the quality gaming hours it'll provide! I
    finished NOLF1 for the first time about half a year ago and had a great
    time despite the graphics being a bit crude in places. There are even
    people playing the game online still. The DM is a bit too fast-paced
    for me but it's good to see a game with that kind of lasting quality.

    --
    best regards, mat
    np: [winamp not running]

    www.pdxshows.net

    play it for the humor, not for the RPG or the gameplay really. Of
    course, guess you could just rent a Monty Python movie or episode and
    have a laugh in 1-2 hours instead of playing through 15 hours or so to
    get funny bits here and there.

    I don't know about the demo
    Played the xbox vers found the game standard action RPG stuff <diablo like >
    But the humor had me LOL if you like monty python holy grail type stuff you
    will love this game ;)
    Rick

    "Vader des Vaderlands" <vader@vaderlands.nl> wrote in message
    > -spotted it at FilePlanet a few minutes ago.
    >
    > http://www.fileplanet.com/151519/150000/fileinfo/The-Bard's-Tale-Demo
    >
    > Mirrors are likely available at your favorite file hosting site.
    >
    > I loved the original trilogy and currently I have a party that's slogging
    > their way through the ice world in the third Bard's Tale. People here have
    > pointed out that no connection exists between the trilogy and this new
    > game which is unfortunate. Hopefully it has redeeming qualities of its
    > own.
    >

    > --
    > best regards, mat
    > np: [winamp not running]
    >
    > www.pdxshows.net
  10. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    <vader@vaderlands.nl> wrote:

    >-spotted it at FilePlanet a few minutes ago.
    >
    >http://www.fileplanet.com/151519/150000/fileinfo/The-Bard's-Tale-Demo
    >
    >Mirrors are likely available at your favorite file hosting site.

    I found it an average game. The biggest issue is the restricting
    camera angle. You are looking down at the world from an almost 90°
    perspective. It can be zoomed out only a certain amount.

    The basic interface is very simple. You can control most things from
    circular menus (each with four options, selectable by W A S D keys).
    For example Shift-W brings up combat menu and then you hit W, A, S or
    D key to select further actions (like weapons in both hands or
    weapon/shield combo). Shift-S brings up the summon menu and then you
    can select sub-menus to summon a particular being. The same keys, with
    combination of Ctrl key sets commands to your minions.

    The gameplay is fast paced but repetitive. Each major weapon class
    (sword, axe, bows etc) has its own progression tree and subtrees. So
    the game can easily determine if a particular weapon that you just
    found is inferior or superior to something you already have or whether
    it belongs to a different tree or subtree. If the weapon is a better
    copy of some thing you already have (let's going from one handed sword
    5 physical, 5 fire to 10 physical, 5 fire damage), the new weapon is
    automatically added to inventory (and also equipped, if you were using
    its older counterpart before). In all cases unneeded weapons are
    automatically converter to gold. It's a interesting gameplay mechanic,
    since it does allow you freedom to choose/equip items and yet
    minimises the trips back to item vendors for selling the loot.

    The character can be moved in few ways, by holding down the mouse
    button or by clicking or by toggling the character into walk mode and
    then controlling him using mouse movement alone (without any clicks).
    Combat is very monotonous. I could see some limited tactics, such as
    summoning elementals when the opponents are weak against that
    particular element. Or summoning a bowman or a melee fighter to adjust
    with your play style.

    Dialogues are generally above average. On certain occassions you are
    given a choice of how to respond to certain characters, whether you
    want the bard to be a nice guy or not.

    There are hotkeys to turn auto-map on/off (which is fairly well done)
    or to heal the entire party.

    Overall, I would have liked the game a lot better if the world could
    be viewed from an angle such as that in Diablo2 or the old Crusader
    games. However, with its restrictive camera and monotonous combat, I
    am not planning to buy it until it hits the bargain bin. Sorry inXile.

    My 2¢
    --
    Noman

PC gaming Games Video Games