Sign in with
Your question

Suggestions for cascading routers

Last response: in Networking
February 10, 2013 5:07:06 AM

I plan on upgrading my networking hardware as they are quite old and I believe they are causing connectivity issues for me.

My current setup is a cable modem hooked into a D-Link DI-504 wired router in the basement. The LAN ports to this router are connected to various ports throughout the house. One of these ports is fed into a D-Link DI-624 wireless router, which is used as a glorified switch and wireless AP (DHCP set to off, incoming connection from wired router into a LAN port), through which two computers and a printer are hardwired as well as various other devices connected wirelessly.

I'd basically like to have a similar setup but with up-to-date hardware, unless someone can suggest a better setup. I wouldn't mind spending a bit of money for a pair of routers that performs solidly and I want to have gigabit ethernet ports. I have no devices that connect faster than G so I have no need for a bleeding edge AC wireless router unless there's a good argument for one. I do a lot of video streaming from one computer to another computer/device via Windows Media Player (which became a problem after upgrading to Windows 8 and I think it's being caused by my current router setup) as well as some gaming via a PS3.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!
February 10, 2013 4:37:11 PM

The ASUS RT-N66U is worth a look if you want N dual band (2.4GHz and 5GHz).

If you only want 2.4GHz G/N, the D-Link DIR-655 is a very good router and makes a fine AP too. It is significantly cheaper than the dual band or AC units.
m
l
February 11, 2013 10:05:56 PM

It looks like it's tough to find wired-only gigabit routers so am I basically stuck getting two wireless routers? If that's the case, I might as use the wireless functionality on both since I'm paying for it. Would it be possible to have both routers work for one wireless network? In other words, turn on DHCP on the main one in the basement and just have the second one function as a wireless AP and wired switch on the upper floor so that every wireless device is still on the same network?
m
l
Related resources
February 12, 2013 12:48:26 PM

Yes, it is quite easy to configure one as an AP. make an LAN to LAN connection between them. Turn off DHCP on the AP, use the same SSID/security and encryption type/password for both wireless radios, use different radio channels (preferably from 1, 6, 11), assign the AP a static network address in the AP and router (put it outside the DHCP range in the router but in the network range). That's it.
m
l
February 12, 2013 1:04:01 PM

You might also want to look at the Cisco / Linksys EA2700. I am not running mine in a cascade, but I hear of it all the time, and have been very happy with my router...
m
l
February 12, 2013 1:13:30 PM

dbhosttexas said:
You might also want to look at the Cisco / Linksys EA2700. I am not running mine in a cascade, but I hear of it all the time, and have been very happy with my router...
Today's Linksys routers are very good and I would also recommend the EA2700, I just shudder to think what they will be like in a few years from now as Belkin/Linksys though. :) 
m
l
February 12, 2013 2:27:12 PM

RealBeast said:
Today's Linksys routers are very good and I would also recommend the EA2700, I just shudder to think what they will be like in a few years from now as Belkin/Linksys though. :) 

How very, frighteningly true... Hopefully Belkin will learn a thing or two about how to design and build electronics from Linksys...

I never quite understood the Cisco acquisition of Linksys in the first place, and then selling them off made less sense...

There are a couple of "higher end" routers from them, but the price tags shoot up pretty fast, and for features that at least I, honestly won't use.

Never used an Asus router, but I am tickled pink over their WiFi usb adapters.
m
l
February 12, 2013 5:16:44 PM

Nope, I never really understood Cisco buying Linksys.

I've used a few ASUS and they are very good routers, I'll get a pair of their AC routers pretty soon for a long distance media bridge that a buddy with deep pockets needs -- of course I'll play with them for 3 or 4 weeks to see what they can do on the 5GHz 80MHz channel width, it sounds spectacular based on Tom's article and other early reviews, but I'll believe it when I test it in the real world of my house with people using the kitchen microwave (aka the wireless killer).
m
l
February 18, 2013 11:08:29 PM

Thanks for the suggestions. The EA2700 kept coming to mind in my searches. I'll probably give those a go and see how they work out.
m
l
!