Might & Magic 6 TIME?

Hi,
I'm wondering if my team will be old and in wheel chairs by the time we
finish the game, our ages seem to be moving along quickly?

I'm concerned that we are forwarding the clock a lot, seems to me that
you can't do much in town after 5PM Mon-Sun, so we advance the clock to
an active time, but will we pay a price for this? What happens when we
get 'old? Do we lose strength? Are we easily caught by the slowest of
monsters?

We're at level 25 and the team is 25-27 yrs old. The other thing is
that when you want to go to a certain place, often the ship is not
going there for maybe 2-3days, so we advance time so that we can
continue to play.

I'm not sure how I feel about the whole time thing? Seems like a pain,
I guess?

Tucsonjim
44 answers Last reply
More about might magic time

    "tucsonjim" <jim@kanewebdesign.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    > I'm wondering if my team will be old and in wheel chairs by the time we
    > finish the game, our ages seem to be moving along quickly?
    >
    > I'm concerned that we are forwarding the clock a lot, seems to me that
    > you can't do much in town after 5PM Mon-Sun, so we advance the clock to
    > an active time, but will we pay a price for this? What happens when we
    > get 'old? Do we lose strength? Are we easily caught by the slowest of
    > monsters?

    I wondered about that myself. But I completed M&M 6, 7 and 8 without any bad
    effects from aging that I could see. However, it seems to me that I read
    somewhere that if your party gets *really* old they do start to lose stats
    or otherwise deteriorate--I don't recall details.

    I did make a point of not wasting time any more than necessary, and I think
    I completed each game in something like two years of "game time," maybe
    less. On the other hand, a friend of mine had about five years of game time
    in MM6 and was only about half way through it.

    One thing to note is that when you train up a level, it uses up eight days
    (as I recall) in MM6. This is so whether you train a single party member or
    the whole party. So in most cases I waited until I could train everyone up
    at the same time. My friend on the other hand trained every party member as
    soon as he or she had enough experience points to go up a level. This I
    think is wasteful of time. But on the other hand some party members will
    gain experience faster than others, particularly as some can have higher
    rankings of Learning than others--so for example you may have to train one
    or two members up two levels while others can only go up one, which still
    uses up sixteen days.

    > We're at level 25 and the team is 25-27 yrs old. The other thing is
    > that when you want to go to a certain place, often the ship is not
    > going there for maybe 2-3days, so we advance time so that we can
    > continue to play.
    >
    > I'm not sure how I feel about the whole time thing? Seems like a pain,
    > I guess?

    Having to wait a day or more for a ship or coach can be mildly irksome, but
    I usually found something useful to do, something to explore or some
    monsters to kill to gain some experience points while waiting. I don't think
    I ever had to waste *too* much time while waiting for transportation. If I
    had to wait more than a day, usually I'd just set out on foot for the next
    nearest place, even if it wasn't my first choice of where to go. Once you
    have Town Portal and Lloyd's Beacon you don't have to put up with waiting
    around too much.

    N.

    On 24 Mar 2005 15:58:12 -0800, "tucsonjim" <jim@kanewebdesign.com> wrote:

    >Hi,
    >I'm wondering if my team will be old and in wheel chairs by the time we
    >finish the game, our ages seem to be moving along quickly?

    Time also weny by quickly in the older games, but there should be more than
    enough to complete the game.

    >I'm concerned that we are forwarding the clock a lot, seems to me that
    >you can't do much in town after 5PM Mon-Sun, so we advance the clock to
    >an active time, but will we pay a price for this? What happens when we
    >get 'old? Do we lose strength? Are we easily caught by the slowest of
    >monsters?
    >
    >We're at level 25 and the team is 25-27 yrs old. The other thing is
    >that when you want to go to a certain place, often the ship is not
    >going there for maybe 2-3days, so we advance time so that we can
    >continue to play.

    25-27? That's not too bad. You should only worry if you start getting to
    at least age 40, and you're probably near the endgame by that time.

    wrote:

    >Hi,
    >I'm wondering if my team will be old and in wheel chairs by the time we
    >finish the game, our ages seem to be moving along quickly?

    Unless you dawdle ridiculously, there should be no problems with age:
    no bad effects happen until you hit 50. If you are concerned about
    time, though:

    1) Training: probably the thing that eats up the most time. Make
    sure you train your characters at the same time. Each level of
    training takes 1 week, but if you train all 4 characters in the same
    visit, it still only takes 1 week. If you train 1 character, leave
    and come back and train another, time will have advanced 2 weeks, but
    if you train them both in 1 visit, it'll only take one. Also, IIRC,
    there's a bug in MM6 where no matter how many levels you train in one
    visit, it still only takes one week (instead of 1 week per level.)
    That may have been fixed in the patch, though.

    2) Traveling: travel time matters a lot more in the early game.
    Later on, you get Town Portal and Lloyd's Beacon, which are instant.
    You should definitely try to get these for your character ASAP (and
    especially Master Water Magic, for Lloyd's Beacon.)

    3) Healing: if you visit a temple and pay a small amount of gold,
    they'll heal your character and refill their mana. A lot faster than
    sleeping for 8 hours each time instead. If you're in a dungeon, just
    drop a Lloyd's Beacon, Town Portal out, heal and use the Lloyd's
    Beacon to return.

    The above tips should take care of any time problems you may have.

    Thanks for the help Nostrobino. I have tried 'waiting it out' by
    killing monsters, but when it gets dark it was not much fun because you
    couldn't see much of the enemy, and I used torch light and wizard eye
    to help. Tough especially against monsters with long range weapons?

    You say you would set out on foot if you had to wait more than a day,
    every time I walked from one town/section to another it cost me 5 days?

    I have Town Portal & Lloyd's but get confused as to how much time I
    have left on my recall location? Do you record what day/time you set
    the beacon so you'll know how much time you have?

    Thanks again for the insight.
    Tucsonjim

    Thanks Raymond.
    Tucsonjim

    Seriously? Is there one in MM6?
    Tucsonjim

    The training is a good thing to know, thanks.

    You're right about the sleeping 8 hrs, I do that a lot, sometimes if
    it's a tough Temple I'll do the 8 hr. sleep maybe as much as 10 times
    or whatever amount it takes. I fight, get ripped, fall back, sleep 8
    hrs. and head back to the fight. I'll try using Town Portal and Lloyd's
    to get to a Temple and get healed, instead of sleeping and killing 8
    hrs.

    Thanks for the help.
    Tucsonjim

    Choy, I don't accept death/irradication/dusted, so I make sure that I
    save a lot and then if killed I restart the game from the last save. Am
    I taking the easy way out...yep!

    Also, it would not be a bunch of old nuts, it would be a bunch of WISE
    old nuts!

    Tucsonjim

    Thanks Raymond, somehow this reply went to the wrong place, sorry.
    Tucsonjim
  10. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    There seems to be something wrong with this thread, the replies aren't
    going to the correct locations? Anyhow, I'm putting this one here
    again:

    Drocket, thanks for the help, appreciate it!

    The training is a good thing to know..

    You're right about the sleeping 8 hrs, I do that a lot, sometimes if
    it's a tough Temple I'll do the 8 hr. sleep maybe as much as 10 times
    or whatever amount it takes. I fight, get ripped, fall back, sleep 8
    hrs. and head back to the fight. I'll try using Town Portal and Lloyd's
    to get to a Temple and get healed, instead of sleeping and killing 8
    hrs.

    Tucsonjim
  11. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    Hi Jim,
    I'll go back and check, I hope you're right because that would make it
    a lot easier. But, I think that the time on Lloyd's is based skill
    level. I seem to have maybe 3-4 days or less. My Sorcorer is at EXPERT
    skill level. I definitely recall the beacon being gone after less than
    a 3-4 days. If I set a beacon in a town and then travel, that travel
    time (coach, walk, ship) I believe goes against whatever total time
    there is on that beacon. Hope you are right, I'll check it tonight.

    Thanks
    Tucsonjim
  12. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    Geeze...this game is so huge and has so many directions that you can go
    off in...phew! I bet there were some nightmarish times for the
    creators, no way could an immense game like this just 'fall into place'
    as it was being designed.

    I never thought about the fountain thing, good idea.

    Question: do you know how I can open a door in Hall of The Fire Lord
    that says 'door is warded', what the heck does that mean? I think
    warded means notched or slotted or something like that? I'm stuck until
    I can get through that door.

    Thanks
    Tucsonjim
  13. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    tucsonjim wrote:
    > Hi Jim,
    > I'll go back and check, I hope you're right because that would make
    it
    > a lot easier. But, I think that the time on Lloyd's is based skill
    > level. I seem to have maybe 3-4 days or less. My Sorcorer is at
    EXPERT
    > skill level. I definitely recall the beacon being gone after less
    than
    > a 3-4 days. If I set a beacon in a town and then travel, that travel
    > time (coach, walk, ship) I believe goes against whatever total time
    > there is on that beacon. Hope you are right, I'll check it tonight.
    >
    > Thanks
    > Tucsonjim

    When you reach master level in water magic, the beacons last for 1
    week/skill point instead of 1 day/skill point. That makes water magic
    mastery something that's definitely worth going after early in the
    game. In the meanwhile, you can put a couple more points in the skill
    to make them last longer.

    There IS a fountain of youth in the game, but unless I'm remembering
    incorrectly, it only removes unnatural aging. There are a lot of ways
    to aquire unnatural age in the game (the mentioned 'eradicated' being
    one, as well as the Divine Intervention spell and the special attack of
    some monsters.) There's also a potion that you can make to remove
    unnatural aging. Neither one of them do anything for the character's
    true age, though. I think it would be difficult to take so long in the
    game, though, that your characters would get old enough to matter.
    Actually, age isn't a bad thing for mages/clerics: old age gives a
    large bonus to intelligence/wisdom.
  14. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    > Thanks for the help Nostrobino. I have tried 'waiting it out' by
    > killing monsters, but when it gets dark it was not much fun because you
    > couldn't see much of the enemy, and I used torch light and wizard eye
    > to help. Tough especially against monsters with long range weapons?

    I also used up extra time by going around to sell loot in shops, but in most
    towns they close at 6 PM. As you say, after dark it gets tougher fighting
    bad critters. Only solution is find a nice inn and go to bed early. :-)

    > You say you would set out on foot if you had to wait more than a day,
    > every time I walked from one town/section to another it cost me 5 days?

    True, but of course if you have to wait two or three days for a ship or
    coach, then you have a few *more* days of travel time on that conveyance,
    which you have to pay for as well. Usually I think you can get to another
    town on foot at least as fast as waiting two or more days for a ship. And
    it's less boring than waiting out the time in town, and at least gives you
    the *illusion* that you're doing something rather than just killing time.

    > I have Town Portal & Lloyd's but get confused as to how much time I
    > have left on my recall location? Do you record what day/time you set
    > the beacon so you'll know how much time you have?

    That's probably a good idea but I'm just too disorganized to do it. ;-)

    Yes, running out of time in the Lloyd's locations is a nuisance that has
    often left me cussing my carelessness. I don't think there's any good
    solution but to just keep visiting and updating all your locations
    regularly, particularly before doing some time-consuming thing like
    traveling. Especially try to remember to do this before up-leveling in a
    training center, which always uses up several days (or weeks if you do more
    levels at a time). That's something I often forgot to do, and then of course
    found most of my locations gone.

    N.
  15. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    > Seriously? Is there one in MM6?
    > Tucsonjim

    That's news to me too. I don't remember any Fountain of Youth in MM6. But
    then I'm sure there were many places I never got to, secondary quests, etc.
    Actually this is one of the things that gives the game some replay value.

    N.
  16. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    > Choy, I don't accept death/irradication/dusted, so I make sure that I
    > save a lot and then if killed I restart the game from the last save. Am
    > I taking the easy way out...yep!

    But as I remember, there are some fountains or wells that will give you
    significant stats boots *and* kill or eradicate you. Two outside some palace
    up in the north country (don't recall the name), and maybe one or two
    others. It can be worthwhile drinking from the fatal fountains, dying, then
    resurrecting (or whatever) your characters. If you have a sufficiently
    advanced cleric, she may be able to do that for the other three, then drink
    herself to death and they can take her to a temple and get her restored for
    the usual stiff fee.

    Dang, I really will have to get back to MM6. I've forgotten enough of it to
    make replaying challenging now.

    N.
  17. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    "tucsonjim" <jim@kanewebdesign.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    > I'm wondering if my team will be old and in wheel chairs by the time we
    > finish the game, our ages seem to be moving along quickly?
    >
    > I'm concerned that we are forwarding the clock a lot, seems to me that
    > you can't do much in town after 5PM Mon-Sun, so we advance the clock to
    > an active time, but will we pay a price for this? What happens when we
    > get 'old? Do we lose strength? Are we easily caught by the slowest of
    > monsters?

    Lots of good replies to this original post... but I was going to add:

    I wouldn't worry too much about time. There is a point where eventually
    your party can be so old that they die from old age (you go to rest and
    their pictures turn to tombstones)

    But... though that can happen it will pretty much only happen from your
    party being aged unnaturally... and there are ways around that as well
    (fountain of 'youth' as well as rejuvenate potions)

    As for natuaral aging... I wouldn't worry about it because if your whole
    party was 30 years old and you wanted to "rest" or waste time until they
    were 50... even if there was 100 days in a year you would have to sleep
    6,000 times to get that far (I can't remember how many days there are in a
    MM6 year tho... if its more than 100 then its ALOT more sleeping to get to
    50)

    You might still think "We still sleep an awful lot!" but once you get to
    certain levels you almost stop sleeping altogether... using Lloyd's Beacon
    and Town Portals to get around... visiting temples for your healing...
    infact it sometimes can become a pain where some event might only happen on
    a certain day of the week but because the party hasn't slept in a
    loooooooong time you have to stay at an inn or somewhere and sleep 10-15
    days in a row just to advance the date to a certain day of the week
  18. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    tucsonjim wrote:

    > Hi,
    > I'm wondering if my team will be old and in wheel chairs by the time we
    > finish the game, our ages seem to be moving along quickly?
    >
    > I'm concerned that we are forwarding the clock a lot, seems to me that
    > you can't do much in town after 5PM Mon-Sun, so we advance the clock to
    > an active time, but will we pay a price for this? What happens when we
    > get 'old? Do we lose strength? Are we easily caught by the slowest of
    > monsters?
    >
    > We're at level 25 and the team is 25-27 yrs old. The other thing is
    > that when you want to go to a certain place, often the ship is not
    > going there for maybe 2-3days, so we advance time so that we can
    > continue to play.
    >
    > I'm not sure how I feel about the whole time thing? Seems like a pain,
    > I guess?
    >
    > Tucsonjim
    <end quote>

    IIRC, you will find a Fountain of Youth (?) late in the game where you could
    rejuvinile(sp?) your chars.

    "Aaaaah yourself!.....Uh, oh-o!"
    -Serious 'Second Encounter' Sam-
  19. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    > Geeze...this game is so huge and has so many directions that you can go
    > off in...phew! I bet there were some nightmarish times for the
    > creators, no way could an immense game like this just 'fall into place'
    > as it was being designed.
    >
    > I never thought about the fountain thing, good idea.
    >
    > Question: do you know how I can open a door in Hall of The Fire Lord
    > that says 'door is warded', what the heck does that mean? I think
    > warded means notched or slotted or something like that? I'm stuck until
    > I can get through that door.

    I got stuck there too, and *never* completed the Hall of the Fire Lord
    thing. It's not necessary to complete the game (many quests aren't) and
    another thing I'll have to get into when replaying it.

    Like you I had never seen "warded" used in that way and don't know exactly
    what it means, but apparently it basically means locked.

    N.
  20. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    "tucsonjim" <jim@kanewebdesign.com> wrote in message

    > I have Town Portal & Lloyd's but get confused as to how much time I
    > have left on my recall location? Do you record what day/time you set
    > the beacon so you'll know how much time you have?

    Huh? What do you mean, "time have left on recall location"? Town Portal
    takes you to town, period. A Lloyd's Beacon stays set until you set a new
    location for it.

    --
    Multiversal Mercenaries. You name it, we kill it. Any time, any reality.
  21. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    drocket wrote:

    > On 24 Mar 2005 15:58:12 -0800, "tucsonjim" <jim@kanewebdesign.com>
    > wrote:
    >
    > > Hi,
    > > I'm wondering if my team will be old and in wheel chairs by the time we
    > > finish the game, our ages seem to be moving along quickly?
    >
    > Unless you dawdle ridiculously, there should be no problems with age:
    > no bad effects happen until you hit 50. If you are concerned about
    > time, though:
    >
    > 1) Training: probably the thing that eats up the most time. Make
    > sure you train your characters at the same time. Each level of
    > training takes 1 week, but if you train all 4 characters in the same
    > visit, it still only takes 1 week. If you train 1 character, leave
    > and come back and train another, time will have advanced 2 weeks, but
    > if you train them both in 1 visit, it'll only take one. Also, IIRC,
    > there's a bug in MM6 where no matter how many levels you train in one
    > visit, it still only takes one week (instead of 1 week per level.)
    > That may have been fixed in the patch, though.
    >
    > 2) Traveling: travel time matters a lot more in the early game.
    > Later on, you get Town Portal and Lloyd's Beacon, which are instant.
    > You should definitely try to get these for your character ASAP (and
    > especially Master Water Magic, for Lloyd's Beacon.)
    >
    > 3) Healing: if you visit a temple and pay a small amount of gold,
    > they'll heal your character and refill their mana. A lot faster than
    > sleeping for 8 hours each time instead. If you're in a dungeon, just
    > drop a Lloyd's Beacon, Town Portal out, heal and use the Lloyd's
    > Beacon to return.
    >
    > The above tips should take care of any time problems you may have.
    <end quote>

    Isn't that if your char got irradicated (turned to dust), and when he/she got
    revived, he/she will gain 10 years _bonus_ in age? If you got irradicated
    regularly, you'll have to play with a bunch of old nuts.

    "Aaaaah yourself!.....Uh, oh-o!"
    -Serious 'Second Encounter' Sam-
  22. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    "tucsonjim" <jim@kanewebdesign.com> wrote in news:1111774175.723455.183560
    @f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

    > Hi Jim,
    > I'll go back and check, I hope you're right because that would make it
    > a lot easier. But, I think that the time on Lloyd's is based skill
    > level. I seem to have maybe 3-4 days or less. My Sorcorer is at EXPERT
    > skill level. I definitely recall the beacon being gone after less than
    > a 3-4 days. If I set a beacon in a town and then travel, that travel
    > time (coach, walk, ship) I believe goes against whatever total time
    > there is on that beacon. Hope you are right, I'll check it tonight.

    You are right, at expert level beacons disappear after one day per skill
    level. Try hiring one of the npc:s that boost spell power before casting it
    so that it lasts longer, and remember to travel back to refresh it now and
    then. You could also hire a npa to reduce travel time to reach a new
    destination before the old beacons disappear. When you eventually reach
    master in water this problem will disappear.

    Once you've played through MM VI once you can try to speed play it. Doing
    it in less than one month game time is possible. Or you can try doing it
    solo, killing off three of the characters in the start and letting them
    remain dead. I've done the latter in six months, but then I wasn't really
    trying to minimze time.
  23. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    "Augustus" <Imperial.Palace@Rome.com> wrote in message

    > "tucsonjim" <jim@kanewebdesign.com> wrote in message
    >> Hi,
    >> I'm wondering if my team will be old and in wheel chairs by the time we
    >> finish the game, our ages seem to be moving along quickly?
    >>
    >> I'm concerned that we are forwarding the clock a lot, seems to me that
    >> you can't do much in town after 5PM Mon-Sun, so we advance the clock to
    >> an active time, but will we pay a price for this? What happens when we
    >> get 'old? Do we lose strength? Are we easily caught by the slowest of
    >> monsters?
    >
    > Lots of good replies to this original post... but I was going to add:
    >
    > I wouldn't worry too much about time. There is a point where eventually
    > your party can be so old that they die from old age (you go to rest and
    > their pictures turn to tombstones)

    Interesting!

    > But... though that can happen it will pretty much only happen from your
    > party being aged unnaturally... and there are ways around that as well
    > (fountain of 'youth' as well as rejuvenate potions)
    >
    > As for natuaral aging... I wouldn't worry about it because if your whole
    > party was 30 years old and you wanted to "rest" or waste time until they
    > were 50... even if there was 100 days in a year you would have to sleep
    > 6,000 times to get that far (I can't remember how many days there are in a
    > MM6 year tho... if its more than 100 then its ALOT more sleeping to get to
    > 50)

    I think all Might and Magic months are 28 days (at least they are in MM7
    which I'm replaying now), so 336 days in a year.

    > You might still think "We still sleep an awful lot!" but once you get to
    > certain levels you almost stop sleeping altogether... using Lloyd's Beacon
    > and Town Portals to get around... visiting temples for your healing...
    > infact it sometimes can become a pain where some event might only happen
    > on
    > a certain day of the week but because the party hasn't slept in a
    > loooooooong time you have to stay at an inn or somewhere and sleep 10-15
    > days in a row just to advance the date to a certain day of the week

    Yes, like visiting a Druid circle on a solstice or equinox. Time and time
    again I've missed those dates because I was just too far away to make it
    back in time, so had to wait for the next one. Of course judicious use of
    Lloyd's Beacon would have taken care of that, but I've never had one of
    those locations placed when I needed it for that.

    N.
  24. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    tucsonjim wrote:
    > Geeze...this game is so huge and has so many directions that you can
    go
    > off in...phew! I bet there were some nightmarish times for the
    > creators, no way could an immense game like this just 'fall into
    place'
    > as it was being designed.
    >
    > I never thought about the fountain thing, good idea.
    >
    > Question: do you know how I can open a door in Hall of The Fire Lord
    > that says 'door is warded', what the heck does that mean? I think
    > warded means notched or slotted or something like that? I'm stuck
    until
    > I can get through that door.

    That quest is kind of a pain.... Just keep walking around and opening
    doors, eventually you'll solve it. I think there are 2 doors you have
    to open, and you need amber to open them both. So don't use the faces
    to teleport back to the entrance unless you absolutely have to, because
    I think they take a piece of amber each time they do it.

    Also, once you kill the boss of that particular dungeon, you'll find a
    key that opens a chest. In that chest you'll find a crystal skull. Hang
    on to it. It may seem useless now, but it'll come in handy later in the
    game (MUCH later, like almost the end of the game actually).

    One more piece of advice - DON'T go into Castle Darkmoor until the
    Oracle gives you the quest to do so. You can get a quest in Darkmoor
    villiage to destroy the Book of Liches at level 20-30 or so, but you'll
    want to be around 80th level before you go in there. It's probably the
    toughest dungeon in the entire game next to the Control Center. My
    advice is to do every other quest on your list first and power up as
    much as you can before attempting it.
  25. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    On that special day, Nostrobino, (not@home.today) said...

    > That's news to me too. I don't remember any Fountain of Youth in MM6.

    It is found near the endgame, in the Hermit Isle area. It is not
    exactly a fountain of youth, rather a restore drained attributes well.
    Look for the source of water near the obelisk.

    Gabriele Neukam

    Gabriele.Spamfighter.Neukam@t-online.de

    just so, at no cost.
  26. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    "Gabriele Neukam" <Gabriele.Spamfighter.Neukam@t-online.de> wrote in message
    > On that special day, Nostrobino, (not@home.today) said...
    >
    >> That's news to me too. I don't remember any Fountain of Youth in MM6.
    >
    > It is found near the endgame, in the Hermit Isle area. It is not
    > exactly a fountain of youth, rather a restore drained attributes well.
    > Look for the source of water near the obelisk.

    Ah, thanks!

    All this is making me eager for the game again. I'm going to start replaying
    MM6 as soon as I can find the discs.

    N.
  27. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    On that special day, Nostrobino, (not@home.today) said...

    > Two outside some palace
    > up in the north country (don't recall the name),

    I guess you mean frozen highlands...

    Gabriele Neukam

    Gabriele.Spamfighter.Neukam@t-online.de

    just so, at no cost.
  28. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    > On that special day, Nostrobino, (not@home.today) said...
    >
    >> Two outside some palace
    >> up in the north country (don't recall the name),
    >
    > I guess you mean frozen highlands...

    Right, that's it.

    N.
  29. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    "tucsonjim" <jim@kanewebdesign.com> wrote in news:1111775394.545913.239000
    @z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com:

    > Question: do you know how I can open a door in Hall of The Fire Lord
    > that says 'door is warded', what the heck does that mean? I think
    > warded means notched or slotted or something like that? I'm stuck until
    > I can get through that door.

    I have no idea how that quest worked even though I've solved it twice. Go
    around as much as you can and open the doors you can making sure you always
    carry some amber (I think this is needed for some doors). You may have to
    return to the same area as I think some doors rely onothers having been
    unwarded and you don't have to open all of them. In the end you find some
    boss monster, kill him and can collect the reward.

    Not that you have to solve this quest. Like most quests it's voluntary and
    the reward isn't that significant.
  30. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    I played last night, and the answer is Llyod's Beacon does decay and
    reset to zero after a given period of time depending on your level
    (Beginner, Expert, Master or if available Grand Master).Llyod's Beacon
    use WATER magic and you are good (at Expert level) for 1 day/1 point
    of Water magic. So, if your Sorcerer has say 5 points of Water magic
    you would have 5 days until the Beacon decayed and was gone. Also, any
    time spent traveling or sleeping is deducted from that time.

    One cool thing is that the remaining time on each Beacon is shown in
    the display window for Llyod's Beacon, and if there is less than a day
    remaining,it shows the hours remaining...cool! Also cool, you have 1
    Beacon at Beginner, 3 at Expert and 5 at Master, so at Master you can
    be jumping all over the place.

    Jim, my guess is that you may have been at Master or Grand Master level
    if there is one, and had a lot of Water points. This would give you a
    big bunch of days, and so your Beacon(s) never ran out.

    Tucsonjim
  31. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    > Jim, my guess is that you may have been at Master or Grand Master level
    > if there is one, and had a lot of Water points. This would give you a
    > big bunch of days, and so your Beacon(s) never ran out.

    Your level does work as a multiplier to how many days the beacon will
    last... sound about right that "expert" would be 1x(water level) in days...
    "master" would be 2x(water level) in days... "grand master" would be
    3x(water level) in days...

    You can also get rings and amulets "of water mastery" that will increase
    your skill in that school of magic while worn (each school of magic can have
    items "of ________ mastery"

    Its been awhile... I can't remember if the "of _____ master" items double
    your skill or increase it by 50% but they are great items to have for your
    spell casting characters.
  32. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    tucsonjim wrote:

    > Seriously? Is there one in MM6?
    > Tucsonjim
    <end quote>

    I'm not sure if it's in MM6, it could be in MM7, but given that I've found one
    Fountain of Youth in MM1 - Secrets of the Inner Secntum on my good old NES (and
    it's in Japanese, pure Katakana! yucks), I suspect the fountain exists in all
    of the MM series.

    One hint on finding the fountain: it is normally located at locations very hard
    to reach, i.e. surrounded by cliffs or other hard to access terrains, so check
    your maps for suspecious spots. IIRC the one in MM1 loacted deep in a series of
    cliffs and some tree maze with illusionary trees blocking the entrance to the
    fountain. Hint no.2 is, of course, it's guarded by very tough monsters.

    "Aaaaah yourself!.....Uh, oh-o!"
    -Serious 'Second Encounter' Sam-
  33. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    tucsonjim wrote:

    > Choy, I don't accept death/irradication/dusted, so I make sure that I
    > save a lot and then if killed I restart the game from the last save. Am
    > I taking the easy way out...yep!

    Oh...the Iron Man approach. (not really Iron Man, since save and reload is not
    Iron Man style) Believe me, later in the game, you'll give up this approach as
    your guys will get irradicated/patrified quite frequently.

    > Also, it would not be a bunch of old nuts, it would be a bunch of WISE
    > old nuts!
    >
    > Tucsonjim
    <end quote>

    Yeah, imagine (actually, you don't need to imagine, just get yourself Lord of
    The Rings - Fellowship of the Ring DvD - it's a classic! a must have) Gandalf
    swinging the sword....A WISE old nut swinging his sword.... ROFLMAO :)

    Well it kinda bother me seeing a wizzard weilding a sword... it's too long to
    be a Ceramonial Dagger, it should be in the class of short swords or simply
    swords.

    "Aaaaah yourself!.....Uh, oh-o!"
    -Serious 'Second Encounter' Sam-
  34. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    Nostrobino wrote:

    > "tucsonjim" <jim@kanewebdesign.com> wrote in message
    > > Geeze...this game is so huge and has so many directions that you can go
    > > off in...phew! I bet there were some nightmarish times for the
    > > creators, no way could an immense game like this just 'fall into place'
    > > as it was being designed.
    > >
    > > I never thought about the fountain thing, good idea.
    > >
    > > Question: do you know how I can open a door in Hall of The Fire Lord
    > > that says 'door is warded', what the heck does that mean? I think
    > > warded means notched or slotted or something like that? I'm stuck until
    > > I can get through that door.
    >
    > I got stuck there too, and never completed the Hall of the Fire Lord
    > thing. It's not necessary to complete the game (many quests aren't) and
    > another thing I'll have to get into when replaying it.
    >
    > Like you I had never seen "warded" used in that way and don't know exactly
    > what it means, but apparently it basically means locked.
    >
    > N.
    <end quote>

    Isn't warded means sealed magically? like "I've put a ward on
    such-and-such-thing, and no one should be able to touch it!"

    "Aaaaah yourself!.....Uh, oh-o!"
    -Serious 'Second Encounter' Sam-
  35. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    "ChoyKw" <newsreader@newsgroup.com> wrote in message
    > Nostrobino wrote:
    >

    >> "tucsonjim" <jim@kanewebdesign.com> wrote in message
    >> > Geeze...this game is so huge and has so many directions that you can go
    >> > off in...phew! I bet there were some nightmarish times for the
    >> > creators, no way could an immense game like this just 'fall into place'
    >> > as it was being designed.
    >> >
    >> > I never thought about the fountain thing, good idea.
    >> >
    >> > Question: do you know how I can open a door in Hall of The Fire Lord
    >> > that says 'door is warded', what the heck does that mean? I think
    >> > warded means notched or slotted or something like that? I'm stuck until
    >> > I can get through that door.
    >>
    >> I got stuck there too, and never completed the Hall of the Fire Lord
    >> thing. It's not necessary to complete the game (many quests aren't) and
    >> another thing I'll have to get into when replaying it.
    >>
    >> Like you I had never seen "warded" used in that way and don't know
    >> exactly
    >> what it means, but apparently it basically means locked.
    >>
    >> N.
    > <end quote>
    >
    > Isn't warded means sealed magically? like "I've put a ward on
    > such-and-such-thing, and no one should be able to touch it!"

    You're probably right. Checking an online dictionary just now, I see that
    "ward" (the noun) has several meanings along the lines of "a means of
    protection; a defense," and "ward" (the transitive verb) means "to guard or
    protect." So by extension, "the door is warded" in the game most likely does
    mean "the door is sealed magically."

    N.
  36. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    In article <4244cee0$1_1@news.tm.net.my>, newsreader@newsgroup.com says...

    >tucsonjim wrote:

    >> Seriously? Is there one in MM6?
    >> Tucsonjim
    ><end quote>

    >I'm not sure if it's in MM6, it could be in MM7, but given that I've found one
    >Fountain of Youth in MM1 - Secrets of the Inner Secntum on my good old NES
    >(and it's in Japanese, pure Katakana! yucks), I suspect the fountain exists
    >in all of the MM series.

    >One hint on finding the fountain: it is normally located at locations very
    >hard to reach, i.e. surrounded by cliffs or other hard to access terrains,
    >so check your maps for suspecious spots. IIRC the one in MM1 loacted deep in
    >a series of cliffs and some tree maze with illusionary trees blocking the
    >entrance to the fountain. Hint no.2 is, of course, it's guarded by very tough
    >monsters.

    I do remember the Fountain of youth being the M&M 1-5 and SoX. I don't recall
    it in M&M 6-9, but a little research revealed the following location for a
    Fountain of Youth:

    M&M6: Hermit's Isle (top-center of SE quadrant)

    I have had no luck finding references to them in M&M7-9.

    Maybe 3DO didn't like Fountain's of Youth.

    Civil War Round Table of DC & Concentration Camp made of Lego bricks
    http://members.tripod.com/~kennrice
    Maps of Ultima 7 Parts 1 & 2, Prophecy of the Shadow, Savage Empire,
    Crusaders of Dark Savant & Others.
  37. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    On that special day, ChoyKw, (newsreader@newsgroup.com) said...

    > Well it kinda bother me seeing a wizzard weilding a sword...

    But it is part of the story. Also, he is riding an untameable (except
    by him) horse, which listens to the name of Shadowfax, which is
    uncommon for wizards, too.

    Gabriele Neukam

    Gabriele.Spamfighter.Neukam@t-online.de

    just so, at no cost.
  38. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    drocket wrote:
    > On Sat, 26 Mar 2005 09:10:35 -0800, "Augustus"
    > <Imperial.Palace@Rome.com> wrote:
    >
    > >Your level does work as a multiplier to how many days the beacon
    will
    > >last... sound about right that "expert" would be 1x(water level) in
    days...
    > >"master" would be 2x(water level) in days... "grand master" would be
    > >3x(water level) in days...
    > In MM6, its 1 hour/point for 'normal' skill level, 1 day/point for
    > expert, and 1 week/point for master. Grandmaster skill wasn't
    > introducted until MM7 (in which you couldn't even get the Lloyd's
    > Beacon spell until grandmaster level, at a rate of 1 week/point.)
    >
    > Basically, in MM6, one of the most important things to make the game
    > easier is to get Master Water magic ASAP in the game. At that point,
    > you'll have 5 beacons that each last 7 weeks (since mastery requires
    7
    > skill points), which is more than enough time for just about anything
    > other than training sessions. All you ever really need to do is
    > refresh them before you train and otherwise you never need to worry
    > about them.

    Actually, in MM6 you needed a skill level of 12 to get Master rank. I
    just replayed not too long ago and the threshold for mastery of skills
    was 8 for weapons, 10 for armor, 12 for magic, and 7 for misc. skills.

    > (another nice thing about MM6 is that archers and druids can also get
    > master water magic, so you most likely have 2, possibly even 3,
    > characters who can each have 5 beacon points.)
    >
    > >Its been awhile... I can't remember if the "of _____ master" items
    double
    > >your skill or increase it by 50% but they are great items to have
    for your
    > >spell casting characters.
    >
    > 50%, and they don't stack (which isn't immediately obvious.)

    Multiple magic items of _____ magic won't stack, but if you have a
    magic item of, say, Fire Magic, and an artifact that is also "of Fire
    Magic", they WILL stack. You get a 50% bonus, then another 50% bonus on
    top of that, for a total bonus of 125% (*2.25) to the skill.

    I remember reading that there was a bug that kicked in if you boosted a
    skill level over 64 in this way, but I never got any skill high enough
    for that to be an issue (I prefered to diversify instead).
  39. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    drocket wrote:
    > On 26 Mar 2005 19:47:17 -0800, burt1112@hotmail.com wrote:
    >
    > >Actually, in MM6 you needed a skill level of 12 to get Master rank.
    > >just replayed not too long ago and the threshold for mastery of
    skills
    > >was 8 for weapons, 10 for armor, 12 for magic, and 7 for misc.
    skills.

    > Ah, ok. its been a while since I played MM6. I'm rather tempted to
    week.

    > Overall, I think MM7 was the best. It wasn't perfect: the dungeons
    > were way too small and there just weren't as many things to fight as
    > there should have been (a reaction to the insanely sprawling size in
    > MM6, I would guess), but overall I found it to be the most balanced
    > and enjoyable of the trilogy (MM6, 7 and 8.) MM8 had some nice
    > graphical updates and interface improvements (and I LOVE the
    > spellbook, with its 'sketchbook' appearance), but I disliked the
    > changes to the party system (only one fixed character, and the rest
    > can be swapped in and out. Its just not MM.) MM8 definitely had an
    > interesting story, though, and it nicely wrapped up the trilogy.

    I agree, MM7 was definitely the best of the 6/7/8 trilogy. The classes
    were MUCH better balanced in that one - Knights were actually a very
    good class in MM7, as opposed to being almost useless in MM6. The
    storyline was quite good (at least for an MM game - it wasn't on the
    level of Planescape: Torment, or anything). And the choice between the
    light and dark paths made for a lot more replayability than most other
    MM games had.

    I agree it was flawed - the dungeons could have been a bit bigger, and
    there could have been a few more monsters. Actually, the reduced number
    of monsters in MM7 made the Learning skill almost useless, since it
    only increased the XP you got for killing monsters, and not for quest
    rewards. I think my Sorceror with rank 7 Master in learning (for a 30%
    XP bonus) was only two levels higher than my Knight with rank 1 Basic
    learning (10% bonus) at the end of the game.

    So yeah, more monsters to kill would have been nice, and it also would
    have been nice to see at least one or two really big dungeons. But I
    still think it was the best of the three.

    I didn't like MM8 at all - I really felt it was a subpar effort. The
    first half of the game was okay, but it really fell apart after Regna,
    IMO. The elemental planes were total amateur work, just big empty
    spaces without much of anything to see in them. Ditto for that last
    plane (whatever it was called). And the class balance they'd achieved
    in MM7 was totally destroyed in this one. Dragons were blatantly
    overpowered, and other classes like Trolls and Minotaurs were basically
    useless. Just not a very good game all around, IMO.
  40. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    On Sat, 26 Mar 2005 09:10:35 -0800, "Augustus"
    <Imperial.Palace@Rome.com> wrote:

    >Your level does work as a multiplier to how many days the beacon will
    >last... sound about right that "expert" would be 1x(water level) in days...
    >"master" would be 2x(water level) in days... "grand master" would be
    >3x(water level) in days...
    In MM6, its 1 hour/point for 'normal' skill level, 1 day/point for
    expert, and 1 week/point for master. Grandmaster skill wasn't
    introducted until MM7 (in which you couldn't even get the Lloyd's
    Beacon spell until grandmaster level, at a rate of 1 week/point.)

    Basically, in MM6, one of the most important things to make the game
    easier is to get Master Water magic ASAP in the game. At that point,
    you'll have 5 beacons that each last 7 weeks (since mastery requires 7
    skill points), which is more than enough time for just about anything
    other than training sessions. All you ever really need to do is
    refresh them before you train and otherwise you never need to worry
    about them.

    (another nice thing about MM6 is that archers and druids can also get
    master water magic, so you most likely have 2, possibly even 3,
    characters who can each have 5 beacon points.)

    >Its been awhile... I can't remember if the "of _____ master" items double
    >your skill or increase it by 50% but they are great items to have for your
    >spell casting characters.

    50%, and they don't stack (which isn't immediately obvious.)
  41. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    On 26 Mar 2005 19:47:17 -0800, burt1112@hotmail.com wrote:

    >Actually, in MM6 you needed a skill level of 12 to get Master rank. I
    >just replayed not too long ago and the threshold for mastery of skills
    >was 8 for weapons, 10 for armor, 12 for magic, and 7 for misc. skills.

    Ah, ok. its been a while since I played MM6. I'm rather tempted to

    Overall, I think MM7 was the best. It wasn't perfect: the dungeons
    were way too small and there just weren't as many things to fight as
    there should have been (a reaction to the insanely sprawling size in
    MM6, I would guess), but overall I found it to be the most balanced
    and enjoyable of the trilogy (MM6, 7 and 8.) MM8 had some nice
    graphical updates and interface improvements (and I LOVE the
    spellbook, with its 'sketchbook' appearance), but I disliked the
    changes to the party system (only one fixed character, and the rest
    can be swapped in and out. Its just not MM.) MM8 definitely had an
    interesting story, though, and it nicely wrapped up the trilogy.

    I wish someone would remake MM4&5 (Xeen) with a new graphical engine
    and interface. Keep the storyline, the 'feel' of the game, the game
    balance, etc. I'd drop $50 on that in a minute... Actually, I'd
    happily repurchase MM6/7/8 remade with a new engine for $50...
  42. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    On Sun, 27 Mar 2005 06:38:09 GMT, drocket <drocket@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >I wish someone would remake MM4&5 (Xeen) with a new graphical engine
    >and interface. Keep the storyline, the 'feel' of the game, the game
    >balance, etc.

    Actually, MM4/5 need a whole re-write. When you get close to the end-game,
    your characters become powerful enough that they can take everything down
    in one single hit - the only excpeiton would be monsters resistant to
    normal damage.

    Also, the monsters at that stage were also known to do one-hit kills - thus
    it became a case of who had a higher initiative. (Worst case scenario is
    Swords of Xeen, where you had to defeat the underworld guardian that wipes
    out the entire team in one hit.)
  43. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    Gabriele Neukam wrote:

    > On that special day, ChoyKw, (newsreader@newsgroup.com) said...
    >
    > > Well it kinda bother me seeing a wizzard weilding a sword...
    >
    > But it is part of the story. Also, he is riding an untameable (except
    > by him) horse, which listens to the name of Shadowfax, which is
    > uncommon for wizards, too.
    >

    > Gabriele Neukam
    >
    > Gabriele.Spamfighter.Neukam@t-online.de
    <end quote>

    I guess Mr Tolkien was having a problem with the fax machine while trying to
    name the horsie....

    "Aaaaah yourself!.....Uh, oh-o!"
    -Serious 'Second Encounter' Sam-
  44. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    <burt1112@hotmail.com> wrote in message

    > drocket wrote:
    >> On 26 Mar 2005 19:47:17 -0800, burt1112@hotmail.com wrote:
    >>
    >> >Actually, in MM6 you needed a skill level of 12 to get Master rank.
    >> >just replayed not too long ago and the threshold for mastery of
    > skills
    >> >was 8 for weapons, 10 for armor, 12 for magic, and 7 for misc.
    > skills.
    >>
    >> Ah, ok. its been a while since I played MM6. I'm rather tempted to
    > week.
    >>
    >> Overall, I think MM7 was the best. It wasn't perfect: the dungeons
    >> were way too small and there just weren't as many things to fight as
    >> there should have been (a reaction to the insanely sprawling size in
    >> MM6, I would guess), but overall I found it to be the most balanced
    >> and enjoyable of the trilogy (MM6, 7 and 8.) MM8 had some nice
    >> graphical updates and interface improvements (and I LOVE the
    >> spellbook, with its 'sketchbook' appearance), but I disliked the
    >> changes to the party system (only one fixed character, and the rest
    >> can be swapped in and out. Its just not MM.) MM8 definitely had an
    >> interesting story, though, and it nicely wrapped up the trilogy.
    >
    > I agree, MM7 was definitely the best of the 6/7/8 trilogy. The classes
    > were MUCH better balanced in that one - Knights were actually a very
    > good class in MM7, as opposed to being almost useless in MM6. The
    > storyline was quite good (at least for an MM game - it wasn't on the
    > level of Planescape: Torment, or anything). And the choice between the
    > light and dark paths made for a lot more replayability than most other
    > MM games had.
    >
    > I agree it was flawed - the dungeons could have been a bit bigger, and
    > there could have been a few more monsters. Actually, the reduced number
    > of monsters in MM7 made the Learning skill almost useless, since it
    > only increased the XP you got for killing monsters, and not for quest
    > rewards. I think my Sorceror with rank 7 Master in learning (for a 30%
    > XP bonus) was only two levels higher than my Knight with rank 1 Basic
    > learning (10% bonus) at the end of the game.
    >
    > So yeah, more monsters to kill would have been nice, and it also would
    > have been nice to see at least one or two really big dungeons. But I
    > still think it was the best of the three.
    >
    > I didn't like MM8 at all - I really felt it was a subpar effort. The
    > first half of the game was okay, but it really fell apart after Regna,
    > IMO. The elemental planes were total amateur work, just big empty
    > spaces without much of anything to see in them. Ditto for that last
    > plane (whatever it was called).

    The Plane Between the Planes, I think.

    > And the class balance they'd achieved
    > in MM7 was totally destroyed in this one. Dragons were blatantly
    > overpowered, and other classes like Trolls and Minotaurs were basically
    > useless. Just not a very good game all around, IMO.

    I liked MM8. Of course it was substantially smaller than 6 and 7, and I
    suppose that would be considered a fault by many. Also a couple of the
    places you could enter seemed pointless, unless I just missed the point. But
    I liked the map improvements, and being able to swap out characters in your
    party (I did that hardly at all, but appreciated the option). I liked having
    a vampire, though I agree the later option to have a dragon in your party
    was ridiculous--I never did that myself, but everyone seems to agree it was
    a game spoiler. I did have a troll for a while, and that was interesting. On
    the whole I thought it made a decent finale to the trilogy, though I sort of
    agree with you that it lost steam after Regna.

    N.

PC gaming Games Video Games