Might & Magic 6 TIME?

Hi,
I'm wondering if my team will be old and in wheel chairs by the time we
finish the game, our ages seem to be moving along quickly?

I'm concerned that we are forwarding the clock a lot, seems to me that
you can't do much in town after 5PM Mon-Sun, so we advance the clock to
an active time, but will we pay a price for this? What happens when we
get 'old? Do we lose strength? Are we easily caught by the slowest of
monsters?

We're at level 25 and the team is 25-27 yrs old. The other thing is
that when you want to go to a certain place, often the ship is not
going there for maybe 2-3days, so we advance time so that we can
continue to play.

I'm not sure how I feel about the whole time thing? Seems like a pain,
I guess?

Tucsonjim

"tucsonjim" <jim@kanewebdesign.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
> I'm wondering if my team will be old and in wheel chairs by the time we
> finish the game, our ages seem to be moving along quickly?
>
> I'm concerned that we are forwarding the clock a lot, seems to me that
> you can't do much in town after 5PM Mon-Sun, so we advance the clock to
> an active time, but will we pay a price for this? What happens when we
> get 'old? Do we lose strength? Are we easily caught by the slowest of
> monsters?

I wondered about that myself. But I completed M&M 6, 7 and 8 without any bad
effects from aging that I could see. However, it seems to me that I read
somewhere that if your party gets *really* old they do start to lose stats
or otherwise deteriorate--I don't recall details.

I did make a point of not wasting time any more than necessary, and I think
I completed each game in something like two years of "game time," maybe
less. On the other hand, a friend of mine had about five years of game time
in MM6 and was only about half way through it.

One thing to note is that when you train up a level, it uses up eight days
(as I recall) in MM6. This is so whether you train a single party member or
the whole party. So in most cases I waited until I could train everyone up
at the same time. My friend on the other hand trained every party member as
soon as he or she had enough experience points to go up a level. This I
think is wasteful of time. But on the other hand some party members will
gain experience faster than others, particularly as some can have higher
rankings of Learning than others--so for example you may have to train one
or two members up two levels while others can only go up one, which still
uses up sixteen days.

> We're at level 25 and the team is 25-27 yrs old. The other thing is
> that when you want to go to a certain place, often the ship is not
> going there for maybe 2-3days, so we advance time so that we can
> continue to play.
>
> I'm not sure how I feel about the whole time thing? Seems like a pain,
> I guess?

Having to wait a day or more for a ship or coach can be mildly irksome, but
I usually found something useful to do, something to explore or some
monsters to kill to gain some experience points while waiting. I don't think
I ever had to waste *too* much time while waiting for transportation. If I
had to wait more than a day, usually I'd just set out on foot for the next
nearest place, even if it wasn't my first choice of where to go. Once you
have Town Portal and Lloyd's Beacon you don't have to put up with waiting
around too much.

N.

On 24 Mar 2005 15:58:12 -0800, "tucsonjim" <jim@kanewebdesign.com> wrote:

>Hi,
>I'm wondering if my team will be old and in wheel chairs by the time we
>finish the game, our ages seem to be moving along quickly?

Time also weny by quickly in the older games, but there should be more than
enough to complete the game.

>I'm concerned that we are forwarding the clock a lot, seems to me that
>you can't do much in town after 5PM Mon-Sun, so we advance the clock to
>an active time, but will we pay a price for this? What happens when we
>get 'old? Do we lose strength? Are we easily caught by the slowest of
>monsters?
>
>We're at level 25 and the team is 25-27 yrs old. The other thing is
>that when you want to go to a certain place, often the ship is not
>going there for maybe 2-3days, so we advance time so that we can
>continue to play.

25-27? That's not too bad. You should only worry if you start getting to
at least age 40, and you're probably near the endgame by that time.

wrote:

>Hi,
>I'm wondering if my team will be old and in wheel chairs by the time we
>finish the game, our ages seem to be moving along quickly?

Unless you dawdle ridiculously, there should be no problems with age:
no bad effects happen until you hit 50. If you are concerned about
time, though:

1) Training: probably the thing that eats up the most time. Make
sure you train your characters at the same time. Each level of
training takes 1 week, but if you train all 4 characters in the same
visit, it still only takes 1 week. If you train 1 character, leave
and come back and train another, time will have advanced 2 weeks, but
if you train them both in 1 visit, it'll only take one. Also, IIRC,
there's a bug in MM6 where no matter how many levels you train in one
visit, it still only takes one week (instead of 1 week per level.)
That may have been fixed in the patch, though.

2) Traveling: travel time matters a lot more in the early game.
Later on, you get Town Portal and Lloyd's Beacon, which are instant.
You should definitely try to get these for your character ASAP (and
especially Master Water Magic, for Lloyd's Beacon.)

3) Healing: if you visit a temple and pay a small amount of gold,
they'll heal your character and refill their mana. A lot faster than
sleeping for 8 hours each time instead. If you're in a dungeon, just
drop a Lloyd's Beacon, Town Portal out, heal and use the Lloyd's
Beacon to return.

The above tips should take care of any time problems you may have.

Thanks for the help Nostrobino. I have tried 'waiting it out' by
killing monsters, but when it gets dark it was not much fun because you
couldn't see much of the enemy, and I used torch light and wizard eye
to help. Tough especially against monsters with long range weapons?

You say you would set out on foot if you had to wait more than a day,
every time I walked from one town/section to another it cost me 5 days?

I have Town Portal & Lloyd's but get confused as to how much time I
have left on my recall location? Do you record what day/time you set
the beacon so you'll know how much time you have?

Thanks again for the insight.
Tucsonjim

The training is a good thing to know, thanks.

You're right about the sleeping 8 hrs, I do that a lot, sometimes if
it's a tough Temple I'll do the 8 hr. sleep maybe as much as 10 times
or whatever amount it takes. I fight, get ripped, fall back, sleep 8
hrs. and head back to the fight. I'll try using Town Portal and Lloyd's
to get to a Temple and get healed, instead of sleeping and killing 8
hrs.

Thanks for the help.
Tucsonjim

Choy, I don't accept death/irradication/dusted, so I make sure that I
save a lot and then if killed I restart the game from the last save. Am
I taking the easy way out...yep!

Also, it would not be a bunch of old nuts, it would be a bunch of WISE
old nuts!

Tucsonjim

Thanks Raymond, somehow this reply went to the wrong place, sorry.
Tucsonjim

There seems to be something wrong with this thread, the replies aren't
going to the correct locations? Anyhow, I'm putting this one here
again:

Drocket, thanks for the help, appreciate it!

The training is a good thing to know..

You're right about the sleeping 8 hrs, I do that a lot, sometimes if
it's a tough Temple I'll do the 8 hr. sleep maybe as much as 10 times
or whatever amount it takes. I fight, get ripped, fall back, sleep 8
hrs. and head back to the fight. I'll try using Town Portal and Lloyd's
to get to a Temple and get healed, instead of sleeping and killing 8
hrs.

Tucsonjim

Hi Jim,
I'll go back and check, I hope you're right because that would make it
a lot easier. But, I think that the time on Lloyd's is based skill
level. I seem to have maybe 3-4 days or less. My Sorcorer is at EXPERT
skill level. I definitely recall the beacon being gone after less than
a 3-4 days. If I set a beacon in a town and then travel, that travel
time (coach, walk, ship) I believe goes against whatever total time
there is on that beacon. Hope you are right, I'll check it tonight.

Thanks
Tucsonjim

Geeze...this game is so huge and has so many directions that you can go
off in...phew! I bet there were some nightmarish times for the
creators, no way could an immense game like this just 'fall into place'
as it was being designed.

I never thought about the fountain thing, good idea.

Question: do you know how I can open a door in Hall of The Fire Lord
that says 'door is warded', what the heck does that mean? I think
warded means notched or slotted or something like that? I'm stuck until
I can get through that door.

Thanks
Tucsonjim

tucsonjim wrote:
> Hi Jim,
> I'll go back and check, I hope you're right because that would make
it
> a lot easier. But, I think that the time on Lloyd's is based skill
> level. I seem to have maybe 3-4 days or less. My Sorcorer is at
EXPERT
> skill level. I definitely recall the beacon being gone after less
than
> a 3-4 days. If I set a beacon in a town and then travel, that travel
> time (coach, walk, ship) I believe goes against whatever total time
> there is on that beacon. Hope you are right, I'll check it tonight.
>
> Thanks
> Tucsonjim

When you reach master level in water magic, the beacons last for 1
week/skill point instead of 1 day/skill point. That makes water magic
mastery something that's definitely worth going after early in the
game. In the meanwhile, you can put a couple more points in the skill
to make them last longer.

There IS a fountain of youth in the game, but unless I'm remembering
incorrectly, it only removes unnatural aging. There are a lot of ways
to aquire unnatural age in the game (the mentioned 'eradicated' being
one, as well as the Divine Intervention spell and the special attack of
some monsters.) There's also a potion that you can make to remove
unnatural aging. Neither one of them do anything for the character's
true age, though. I think it would be difficult to take so long in the
game, though, that your characters would get old enough to matter.
Actually, age isn't a bad thing for mages/clerics: old age gives a
large bonus to intelligence/wisdom.

> Thanks for the help Nostrobino. I have tried 'waiting it out' by
> killing monsters, but when it gets dark it was not much fun because you
> couldn't see much of the enemy, and I used torch light and wizard eye
> to help. Tough especially against monsters with long range weapons?

I also used up extra time by going around to sell loot in shops, but in most
towns they close at 6 PM. As you say, after dark it gets tougher fighting
bad critters. Only solution is find a nice inn and go to bed early. :)

> You say you would set out on foot if you had to wait more than a day,
> every time I walked from one town/section to another it cost me 5 days?

True, but of course if you have to wait two or three days for a ship or
coach, then you have a few *more* days of travel time on that conveyance,
which you have to pay for as well. Usually I think you can get to another
town on foot at least as fast as waiting two or more days for a ship. And
it's less boring than waiting out the time in town, and at least gives you
the *illusion* that you're doing something rather than just killing time.

> I have Town Portal & Lloyd's but get confused as to how much time I
> have left on my recall location? Do you record what day/time you set
> the beacon so you'll know how much time you have?

That's probably a good idea but I'm just too disorganized to do it. ;-)

Yes, running out of time in the Lloyd's locations is a nuisance that has
often left me cussing my carelessness. I don't think there's any good
solution but to just keep visiting and updating all your locations
regularly, particularly before doing some time-consuming thing like
traveling. Especially try to remember to do this before up-leveling in a
training center, which always uses up several days (or weeks if you do more
levels at a time). That's something I often forgot to do, and then of course
found most of my locations gone.

N.

> Seriously? Is there one in MM6?
> Tucsonjim

That's news to me too. I don't remember any Fountain of Youth in MM6. But
then I'm sure there were many places I never got to, secondary quests, etc.
Actually this is one of the things that gives the game some replay value.

N.

> Choy, I don't accept death/irradication/dusted, so I make sure that I
> save a lot and then if killed I restart the game from the last save. Am
> I taking the easy way out...yep!

But as I remember, there are some fountains or wells that will give you
significant stats boots *and* kill or eradicate you. Two outside some palace
up in the north country (don't recall the name), and maybe one or two
others. It can be worthwhile drinking from the fatal fountains, dying, then
resurrecting (or whatever) your characters. If you have a sufficiently
advanced cleric, she may be able to do that for the other three, then drink
herself to death and they can take her to a temple and get her restored for
the usual stiff fee.

Dang, I really will have to get back to MM6. I've forgotten enough of it to
make replaying challenging now.

N.

augustus

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2003

"tucsonjim" <jim@kanewebdesign.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
> I'm wondering if my team will be old and in wheel chairs by the time we
> finish the game, our ages seem to be moving along quickly?
>
> I'm concerned that we are forwarding the clock a lot, seems to me that
> you can't do much in town after 5PM Mon-Sun, so we advance the clock to
> an active time, but will we pay a price for this? What happens when we
> get 'old? Do we lose strength? Are we easily caught by the slowest of
> monsters?

Lots of good replies to this original post... but I was going to add:

I wouldn't worry too much about time. There is a point where eventually
your party can be so old that they die from old age (you go to rest and
their pictures turn to tombstones)

But... though that can happen it will pretty much only happen from your
party being aged unnaturally... and there are ways around that as well
(fountain of 'youth' as well as rejuvenate potions)

As for natuaral aging... I wouldn't worry about it because if your whole
party was 30 years old and you wanted to "rest" or waste time until they
were 50... even if there was 100 days in a year you would have to sleep
6,000 times to get that far (I can't remember how many days there are in a
MM6 year tho... if its more than 100 then its ALOT more sleeping to get to
50)

You might still think "We still sleep an awful lot!" but once you get to
certain levels you almost stop sleeping altogether... using Lloyd's Beacon
and Town Portals to get around... visiting temples for your healing...
infact it sometimes can become a pain where some event might only happen on
a certain day of the week but because the party hasn't slept in a
loooooooong time you have to stay at an inn or somewhere and sleep 10-15
days in a row just to advance the date to a certain day of the week

tucsonjim wrote:

> Hi,
> I'm wondering if my team will be old and in wheel chairs by the time we
> finish the game, our ages seem to be moving along quickly?
>
> I'm concerned that we are forwarding the clock a lot, seems to me that
> you can't do much in town after 5PM Mon-Sun, so we advance the clock to
> an active time, but will we pay a price for this? What happens when we
> get 'old? Do we lose strength? Are we easily caught by the slowest of
> monsters?
>
> We're at level 25 and the team is 25-27 yrs old. The other thing is
> that when you want to go to a certain place, often the ship is not
> going there for maybe 2-3days, so we advance time so that we can
> continue to play.
>
> I'm not sure how I feel about the whole time thing? Seems like a pain,
> I guess?
>
> Tucsonjim
<end quote>

IIRC, you will find a Fountain of Youth (?) late in the game where you could
rejuvinile(sp?) your chars.

"Aaaaah yourself!.....Uh, oh-o!"
-Serious 'Second Encounter' Sam-

> Geeze...this game is so huge and has so many directions that you can go
> off in...phew! I bet there were some nightmarish times for the
> creators, no way could an immense game like this just 'fall into place'
> as it was being designed.
>
> I never thought about the fountain thing, good idea.
>
> Question: do you know how I can open a door in Hall of The Fire Lord
> that says 'door is warded', what the heck does that mean? I think
> warded means notched or slotted or something like that? I'm stuck until
> I can get through that door.

I got stuck there too, and *never* completed the Hall of the Fire Lord
thing. It's not necessary to complete the game (many quests aren't) and
another thing I'll have to get into when replaying it.

Like you I had never seen "warded" used in that way and don't know exactly
what it means, but apparently it basically means locked.

N.

"tucsonjim" <jim@kanewebdesign.com> wrote in message

> I have Town Portal & Lloyd's but get confused as to how much time I
> have left on my recall location? Do you record what day/time you set
> the beacon so you'll know how much time you have?

Huh? What do you mean, "time have left on recall location"? Town Portal
takes you to town, period. A Lloyd's Beacon stays set until you set a new
location for it.

--
Multiversal Mercenaries. You name it, we kill it. Any time, any reality.

drocket wrote:

> On 24 Mar 2005 15:58:12 -0800, "tucsonjim" <jim@kanewebdesign.com>
> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> > I'm wondering if my team will be old and in wheel chairs by the time we
> > finish the game, our ages seem to be moving along quickly?
>
> Unless you dawdle ridiculously, there should be no problems with age:
> no bad effects happen until you hit 50. If you are concerned about
> time, though:
>
> 1) Training: probably the thing that eats up the most time. Make
> sure you train your characters at the same time. Each level of
> training takes 1 week, but if you train all 4 characters in the same
> visit, it still only takes 1 week. If you train 1 character, leave
> and come back and train another, time will have advanced 2 weeks, but
> if you train them both in 1 visit, it'll only take one. Also, IIRC,
> there's a bug in MM6 where no matter how many levels you train in one
> visit, it still only takes one week (instead of 1 week per level.)
> That may have been fixed in the patch, though.
>
> 2) Traveling: travel time matters a lot more in the early game.
> Later on, you get Town Portal and Lloyd's Beacon, which are instant.
> You should definitely try to get these for your character ASAP (and
> especially Master Water Magic, for Lloyd's Beacon.)
>
> 3) Healing: if you visit a temple and pay a small amount of gold,
> they'll heal your character and refill their mana. A lot faster than
> sleeping for 8 hours each time instead. If you're in a dungeon, just
> drop a Lloyd's Beacon, Town Portal out, heal and use the Lloyd's
> Beacon to return.
>
> The above tips should take care of any time problems you may have.
<end quote>

Isn't that if your char got irradicated (turned to dust), and when he/she got
revived, he/she will gain 10 years _bonus_ in age? If you got irradicated
regularly, you'll have to play with a bunch of old nuts.

"tucsonjim" <jim@kanewebdesign.com> wrote in news:1111774175.723455.183560
@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

> Hi Jim,
> I'll go back and check, I hope you're right because that would make it
> a lot easier. But, I think that the time on Lloyd's is based skill
> level. I seem to have maybe 3-4 days or less. My Sorcorer is at EXPERT
> skill level. I definitely recall the beacon being gone after less than
> a 3-4 days. If I set a beacon in a town and then travel, that travel
> time (coach, walk, ship) I believe goes against whatever total time
> there is on that beacon. Hope you are right, I'll check it tonight.

You are right, at expert level beacons disappear after one day per skill
level. Try hiring one of the npc:s that boost spell power before casting it
so that it lasts longer, and remember to travel back to refresh it now and
then. You could also hire a npa to reduce travel time to reach a new
destination before the old beacons disappear. When you eventually reach
master in water this problem will disappear.

Once you've played through MM VI once you can try to speed play it. Doing
it in less than one month game time is possible. Or you can try doing it
solo, killing off three of the characters in the start and letting them
remain dead. I've done the latter in six months, but then I wasn't really
trying to minimze time.

"Augustus" <Imperial.Palace@Rome.com> wrote in message

> "tucsonjim" <jim@kanewebdesign.com> wrote in message
>> Hi,
>> I'm wondering if my team will be old and in wheel chairs by the time we
>> finish the game, our ages seem to be moving along quickly?
>>
>> I'm concerned that we are forwarding the clock a lot, seems to me that
>> you can't do much in town after 5PM Mon-Sun, so we advance the clock to
>> an active time, but will we pay a price for this? What happens when we
>> get 'old? Do we lose strength? Are we easily caught by the slowest of
>> monsters?
>
> Lots of good replies to this original post... but I was going to add:
>
> I wouldn't worry too much about time. There is a point where eventually
> your party can be so old that they die from old age (you go to rest and
> their pictures turn to tombstones)

Interesting!

> But... though that can happen it will pretty much only happen from your
> party being aged unnaturally... and there are ways around that as well
> (fountain of 'youth' as well as rejuvenate potions)
>
> As for natuaral aging... I wouldn't worry about it because if your whole
> party was 30 years old and you wanted to "rest" or waste time until they
> were 50... even if there was 100 days in a year you would have to sleep
> 6,000 times to get that far (I can't remember how many days there are in a
> MM6 year tho... if its more than 100 then its ALOT more sleeping to get to
> 50)

I think all Might and Magic months are 28 days (at least they are in MM7
which I'm replaying now), so 336 days in a year.

> You might still think "We still sleep an awful lot!" but once you get to
> certain levels you almost stop sleeping altogether... using Lloyd's Beacon
> and Town Portals to get around... visiting temples for your healing...
> infact it sometimes can become a pain where some event might only happen
> on
> a certain day of the week but because the party hasn't slept in a
> loooooooong time you have to stay at an inn or somewhere and sleep 10-15
> days in a row just to advance the date to a certain day of the week

Yes, like visiting a Druid circle on a solstice or equinox. Time and time
again I've missed those dates because I was just too far away to make it
back in time, so had to wait for the next one. Of course judicious use of
Lloyd's Beacon would have taken care of that, but I've never had one of
those locations placed when I needed it for that.

N.

tucsonjim wrote:
> Geeze...this game is so huge and has so many directions that you can
go
> off in...phew! I bet there were some nightmarish times for the
> creators, no way could an immense game like this just 'fall into
place'
> as it was being designed.
>
> I never thought about the fountain thing, good idea.
>
> Question: do you know how I can open a door in Hall of The Fire Lord
> that says 'door is warded', what the heck does that mean? I think
> warded means notched or slotted or something like that? I'm stuck
until
> I can get through that door.

That quest is kind of a pain.... Just keep walking around and opening
doors, eventually you'll solve it. I think there are 2 doors you have
to open, and you need amber to open them both. So don't use the faces
to teleport back to the entrance unless you absolutely have to, because
I think they take a piece of amber each time they do it.

Also, once you kill the boss of that particular dungeon, you'll find a
key that opens a chest. In that chest you'll find a crystal skull. Hang
on to it. It may seem useless now, but it'll come in handy later in the
game (MUCH later, like almost the end of the game actually).

One more piece of advice - DON'T go into Castle Darkmoor until the
Oracle gives you the quest to do so. You can get a quest in Darkmoor
villiage to destroy the Book of Liches at level 20-30 or so, but you'll
want to be around 80th level before you go in there. It's probably the
toughest dungeon in the entire game next to the Control Center. My
advice is to do every other quest on your list first and power up as
much as you can before attempting it.