CD Drive and Hard Drive on same ide cable

LtBlue14

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2002
my friend got delled a few years ago and wants to put a new hard drive in
the case configuration is such that it's much easier to put the hdd in right under the cd drive and use the same ide cable for them both
i searched the archives and came up with the answer that it IS possible to do this, but the question was really answered in passing, so i wanted to ask directly and make sure

can i put the cd rom and hard drive on the same ide channel? and should the drive be put in slave mode, or does it matter? she's leaving the original drive in the computer

--------------

<A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=faq&notfound=1&code=1" target="_new">mubla otohp eht ni ecaf ruoy teg</A>

scamtrOn

Illustrious
Nov 20, 2001
there is no problem with that as far as it working goes. but as for performance, there are different ways of doing it. if its a cdrw and she want to burn stuff from the new hd to the cdrw, i would say put them on different cables. other than that... there is really nothing to worry about. and its nice having your hds on two ide channels (much faster transfers).

<font color=orange><b>Crying Stripper</b> - I can make all of your fantasies come true

LtBlue14

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2002
make the hdd a slave?
thanks for your help

--------------

<A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=faq&notfound=1&code=1" target="_new">mubla otohp eht ni ecaf ruoy teg</A>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Yes, you can do that. Make the hard drive master, and set the CD-ROM as slave. The only small hangup is that hard drive performance will suffer a little when you used the CD drive.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

LtBlue14

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2002
sorry to bring this back to the top but i didn't know it had gotten another response
should i make the hdd the master or the slave, or does it matter at all
as you can see there are conflicting responses
(this is also for the information of people who search the boards in the future, i like to tell myself that that actually happens..)

--------------

Lamoni

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2002
I would also make the Hard Drive master, but if you need to twist the cable or anything to do it, it will work just fine as a slave. Just make sure that you use 80 wire cable. The CD-ROM does fine with 40 wire cable, but it would cripple the Hard drive. That is much more important than whether it is put as slave or master.

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
And dont forget to check the master/slave setting on the cdrom drive... most likely its set to cable select, and may cauze problems.

<b>My Computer is so powerful Sauron Desires it and mortal men Covet it, <i>My Precioussssssss</i></b>