[WoW] Did I meet a gold farmer?

Archived from groups: alt.games.warcraft,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

So I'm on one of the many kill-x-undead quests in Raven Hill when I
see a high-20s Night Elf also killing them. He seems to be going after
the same types I need, so when he pops up an invite I accept.

As I normally do, I repeatedly try to make conversation, something
along the "geez, repeatedly killing these guys is tedious and gross"
lines. Not a word in response. As we move into the underground crypt,
I try suggesting ways we can more efficiently kill the enemies, how we
should be going this way or that, etc. Nothing. Eventually I got
creeped out and quit. Again, no response.

A day or two later, a group I'm in hits the ogre mound in southwestern
Duskwood for a quest. As we approach the cavern entrance, I see a duel
flag up, which is odd. Then I get a duel challenge from the
above-mentioned player. I've read that gold farmers use repeated duel
challenges to scare ordinary players from areas they're farming, and
the ogre mound has the toughest enemies in Darkshire (alhtough I only
got that one challenge and we entered the cavern without further
interference).

So, did I meet my first gold farmer?

--
<URL:http://www.pobox.com/~ylee/> PERTH ----> *
Cpu(s): 6.3% us, 1.5% sy, 4.0% ni, 84.6% id, 3.4% wa, 0.3% hi, 0.0% si

    << So, did I meet my first gold farmer? >>

    No.
  2. Archived from groups: alt.games.warcraft,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    "Yeechang Lee" <ylee@pobox.com> wrote in message news:slrnd4bka9.jjt.ylee@pobox.com...
    > So I'm on one of the many kill-x-undead quests in Raven Hill when I
    > see a high-20s Night Elf also killing them. He seems to be going after
    > the same types I need, so when he pops up an invite I accept.
    >
    > As I normally do, I repeatedly try to make conversation, something
    > along the "geez, repeatedly killing these guys is tedious and gross"
    > lines. Not a word in response. As we move into the underground crypt,
    > I try suggesting ways we can more efficiently kill the enemies, how we
    > should be going this way or that, etc. Nothing. Eventually I got
    > creeped out and quit. Again, no response.
    >
    > A day or two later, a group I'm in hits the ogre mound in southwestern
    > Duskwood for a quest. As we approach the cavern entrance, I see a duel
    > flag up, which is odd. Then I get a duel challenge from the
    > above-mentioned player. I've read that gold farmers use repeated duel
    > challenges to scare ordinary players from areas they're farming, and
    > the ogre mound has the toughest enemies in Darkshire (alhtough I only
    > got that one challenge and we entered the cavern without further
    > interference).
    >
    > So, did I meet my first gold farmer?

    Sounds about like the typical player in WoW. Actually, silence is step up from what I normally
    heard.
  3. Archived from groups: alt.games.warcraft,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    "Yeechang Lee" <ylee@pobox.com> wrote in message
    > So I'm on one of the many kill-x-undead quests in Raven Hill when I
    > see a high-20s Night Elf also killing them. He seems to be going after
    > the same types I need, so when he pops up an invite I accept.
    >
    > As I normally do, I repeatedly try to make conversation, something
    > along the "geez, repeatedly killing these guys is tedious and gross"
    > lines. Not a word in response. As we move into the underground crypt,
    > I try suggesting ways we can more efficiently kill the enemies, how we
    > should be going this way or that, etc. Nothing. Eventually I got
    > creeped out and quit. Again, no response.
    >
    > A day or two later, a group I'm in hits the ogre mound in southwestern
    > Duskwood for a quest. As we approach the cavern entrance, I see a duel
    > flag up, which is odd. Then I get a duel challenge from the
    > above-mentioned player. I've read that gold farmers use repeated duel
    > challenges to scare ordinary players from areas they're farming, and
    > the ogre mound has the toughest enemies in Darkshire (alhtough I only
    > got that one challenge and we entered the cavern without further
    > interference).
    >
    > So, did I meet my first gold farmer?

    Not at that level.
  4. Archived from groups: alt.games.warcraft,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    Yeechang Lee wrote:
    > So I'm on one of the many kill-x-undead quests in Raven Hill when I
    > see a high-20s Night Elf also killing them. He seems to be going
    after
    > the same types I need, so when he pops up an invite I accept.
    >
    > As I normally do, I repeatedly try to make conversation, something
    > along the "geez, repeatedly killing these guys is tedious and gross"
    > lines. Not a word in response. As we move into the underground crypt,
    > I try suggesting ways we can more efficiently kill the enemies, how
    we
    > should be going this way or that, etc. Nothing. Eventually I got
    > creeped out and quit. Again, no response.
    >
    > A day or two later, a group I'm in hits the ogre mound in
    southwestern
    > Duskwood for a quest. As we approach the cavern entrance, I see a
    duel
    > flag up, which is odd. Then I get a duel challenge from the
    > above-mentioned player. I've read that gold farmers use repeated duel
    > challenges to scare ordinary players from areas they're farming, and
    > the ogre mound has the toughest enemies in Darkshire (alhtough I only
    > got that one challenge and we entered the cavern without further
    > interference).
    >
    > So, did I meet my first gold farmer?

    Maybe you just met your first asshat. I don't know why a gold farmer
    would be wasting time in Darkshire, lots of better places to get money.

    Knight37

    (posting this as a test to see if I can post from Google)
  5. Archived from groups: alt.games.warcraft,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    knight37m@gmail.com wrote:
    > Maybe you just met your first asshat. I don't know why a gold farmer
    > would be wasting time in Darkshire, lots of better places to get
    > money.
    >
    > Knight37
    >
    > (posting this as a test to see if I can post from Google)

    Google test worked.

    It sounds to me like the he met just exactly the kind of asshats I kept
    running into, which was the major impetus behind me canceling my sub.

    --
    chainbreaker
  6. Archived from groups: alt.games.warcraft,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    Yeechang Lee wrote:
    > So I'm on one of the many kill-x-undead quests in Raven Hill when I
    > see a high-20s Night Elf also killing them. He seems to be going after
    > the same types I need, so when he pops up an invite I accept.

    You're braver than I am. I normally avoid unsolicited
    pick-ups these days. If someone sends a /tell or a /say
    and makes an intelligible non-"leet" proposal for mutual
    mayhem I'll go for it, but there are a lot of creeps and
    cretins in the world and I am not there to help them
    earn XP.

    > As I normally do, I repeatedly try to make conversation, something
    > along the "geez, repeatedly killing these guys is tedious and gross"
    > lines. Not a word in response.

    The strong silent type? At least silent. Tough to say
    about strong.

    > As we move into the underground crypt,
    > I try suggesting ways we can more efficiently kill the enemies, how we
    > should be going this way or that, etc. Nothing. Eventually I got
    > creeped out and quit. Again, no response.
    >
    > A day or two later, a group I'm in hits the ogre mound in southwestern
    > Duskwood for a quest. As we approach the cavern entrance, I see a duel
    > flag up, which is odd. Then I get a duel challenge from the
    > above-mentioned player. I've read that gold farmers use repeated duel
    > challenges to scare ordinary players from areas they're farming, and
    > the ogre mound has the toughest enemies in Darkshire (alhtough I only
    > got that one challenge and we entered the cavern without further
    > interference).

    Well, for what it's worth I know of one enclave of 40th level
    guys in Duskwood (east of Darkshire back behind Stalvan's
    luxurious one-room "manor" house). And some of the Worgen
    places scare me more than the ogre mound. And Mor'Ladim is
    tougher than any ogre. But yeah, dueling in a place that
    frequently spawns monsters is the act of a major retard OR
    of a gold farmer. I had a similar encounter with one in
    Stranglethorn a couple of weeks ago, though without the
    previous team experience. The idiot just started spamming
    me with duel challenges right in the middle of a field of
    basilisks. But mercy of all mercies, /ignore is a wonderful
    thing - he will never issue another challenge to me ever
    again. And some people on my server have begun an all-out
    war of grief against farmers; who says there's no post-60
    content? You just need to know how to make your own fun...

    > So, did I meet my first gold farmer?

    With the caveat that it's tough to say that you've "met"
    a person with whom you exchange only one-sided conversation,
    probably yes.

    --
    Nathan Engle Computer Support, IUB Psych Dept
    nengle@indiana.edu http://mypage.iu.edu/~nengle

    ["Followup-To:" header set to comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg.]
    On 2005-03-29, Nathan Engle <nengle@indiana.edu> wrote:
    > Yeechang Lee wrote:
    >> So I'm on one of the many kill-x-undead quests in Raven Hill when I
    >> see a high-20s Night Elf also killing them. He seems to be going after
    >> the same types I need, so when he pops up an invite I accept.
    >
    > You're braver than I am. I normally avoid unsolicited
    > pick-ups these days. If someone sends a /tell or a /say
    > and makes an intelligible non-"leet" proposal for mutual
    > mayhem I'll go for it, but there are a lot of creeps and
    > cretins in the world and I am not there to help them
    > earn XP.

    In SWG I met a lot of folks after 3 am EST that didn't speak
    much. One did though, and offered a female character I was
    playing some "clothes" to wear. I accepted and it was hilarious
    to see he offered some pretty skanky clothes.

    I then asked them where they were from. One word was typed
    "Japan."

    It's just a clash of cultures. They may seem really creepy to us
    but they're probably just kids out of school playing an MMO in
    their bedroom with their buddies.

    They're probably busy talking to their buddies and don't really
    want to talk to you.

    I remember reading about a group of Korean friends who would meet
    up every night and play EQ in a basement together with some six
    PCs. They'd party up and go kill things. They weren't very
    talkative to other players but they didn't need to be.

    Are they all gold farmers? Probably not. Some of them might
    be. Some of them might be trying to gold farm.

PC gaming World Of Warcraft Games Video Games