Sign in with
Your question

winxp blue screens

Last response: in Windows XP
Anonymous
April 5, 2002 1:50:47 AM

well after some time. i installed winxp on my computer to see how well it would run on it. and for weird reasons programs like windows explorer, internet explorer, icq, and some other stuff have been crashing on me. then comes the problem where windows xp prof randomly blue screens and restarts itself. things like ntfs.sys, and stuff like that.
i've try replacing the cpu, video card, ram, and HD and it's still the same old thing.

orginal computer
1.2 ghz t-bird
asus a7v133
256mb pc133 7ns micron
asus 7100/pro (gf2 mx400 32mb with tv out)
SB live value
40gb maxtor ata100
creative 12x10x32 burnner
aopen 52x cd rom

upgrade
amd xp 1700+
same mobo (next month asus a7v333)
same ram (next month 512mb ddr333 samsung)
msi gf3 ti200 128mb vivo
everything else is the same as the one above.

any ideas? i'll be changing the ram and other stuff later so i won't know if it's the ram or mobo that is making the problems. And in a few more minutes i'll be installing windows 2000 pro

oh yeah, i've also tried updating windows, and updating the drivers for everything. it's still the same thing.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by iht on 04/04/02 09:56 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

More about : winxp blue screens

April 5, 2002 6:24:25 AM

Have you reformatted since doing all that? Or ran checkdisk or defraged?

<font color=red>:</font color=red> <font color=white>:</font color=white> <font color=blue>:</font color=blue>
Anonymous
April 5, 2002 3:50:59 PM

yep. done all. still the same old thing.
Related resources
April 5, 2002 4:31:37 PM

What kind of power supply are you running in that rig?

<font color=red> If you design software that is fool-proof, only a fool will want to use it. </font color=red>
Anonymous
April 5, 2002 4:35:03 PM

300watt 18' case.
April 5, 2002 5:35:05 PM

I was going to suggest checking your power supply, but you may also want to swap out the RAM to see if that's the problem.

<font color=red> If you design software that is fool-proof, only a fool will want to use it. </font color=red>
April 5, 2002 6:04:01 PM

I have a similar main system, with a slower Athlon, but pretty stable. Here are some things you might like to try...

You might have some bad sectors on your hard drive. So, I'd back up all the important stuff you need to keep, then do a low level format (erase disk) using the provided software from your hard drive manufacturer (Maxtor). Then, clean install Windows XP using these great guidelines, provided by Toejam31. :smile: <A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/software/modules.php?nam..." target="_new">Great Windows Installation Methodology</A> Just look for where Toey starts talking about the order of installation, that's critical for how your system will run in the future.

Then, you can also test your memory yourself by <i>reading about</i>, downloading <A HREF="http://www.teresaudio.com/memtest86/" target="_new">MemTest86</A>, and running a check overnight. If this fails, and you know you have a cheap power supply (brand), it might be that it's not supplying power efficiently. So look into that as well.

So, post back...

<font color=red><A HREF="http://www.btvillarin.com" target="_new">btvillarin.com</A> - My Windows XP-based Website</font color=red>
April 6, 2002 2:08:18 AM

Aside from a hardware deal, there's two others that will consistantly cause problems.

Via ide drivers can chap you.
The 23.11's can chap you even further.

Grab a red-hot poker and cauterize those problematic hemorrhoids...
Anonymous
April 6, 2002 7:00:57 AM

""winxp blue screens ""

There is nothing to be surpized about. This is Windows OS, even it is called XP (rienced, or it knows how to blue screen already, hehe), nothing else.

Put Win2k on it, u'll forget your troubles.

"akuna mutata" braza... :wink:
April 6, 2002 8:05:48 AM

Quote:
""winxp blue screens ""

There is nothing to be surpized about. This is Windows OS, even it is called XP (rienced, or it knows how to blue screen already, hehe), nothing else.

Put Win2k on it, u'll forget your troubles.

Actually that won't solve a damn thing. You do know thier pretty much the same right? And that blue screens are extremely rare on both?

<font color=red>:</font color=red> <font color=white>:</font color=white> <font color=blue>:</font color=blue>
April 6, 2002 2:49:37 PM

I agree with Zlash, Windows XP is not on the same line as Win9x, it's based on the Win2k kernel and blue screens are generally caused by wrong drivers or defective hardware. Try to swap the RAM, it might be the problem.

It's better to be rich and healthy than poor and sick!
April 6, 2002 9:40:16 PM

"Win2k kernel "

Windows 95 (read: Ms-Dos 7.0)
Windows 98 (read: Ms-Dos 7.5)
Windows Me (read: Ms-Dos 8.0)
Windows NT 4.0 (read: Windows Nt 4.0)
Windows 2000 (read: Windows Nt 5.0)
Windows XP (read: Windows Nt 5.1)

See a pattern?
(hint: marketing geeks)
Anonymous
April 6, 2002 11:15:12 PM

well. i've tried reformatting the way that guy says so. but it's still giving me blue screens. some win32k.sys file, i'm finding it really gay. since mobo, ram, cpu, hd have all been tested and have come out clean. bleh. and to answer the win2k thing? tried it. also gave my blue screens. ^_^

even stock install with ms drivers are still blue screens. lol.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by iht on 04/06/02 07:16 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
April 6, 2002 11:41:15 PM

Gotta be hardware then, i'd double check that memory and make sure it's good.

Anonymous
April 6, 2002 11:52:41 PM

you know what? i'm just going to start ripping out computer components and booting back up to see if that fixed the problem.
April 7, 2002 12:11:48 AM

"i'm just going to start ripping out computer components and booting back up to see if that fixed the problem."

Dude. You rule!!!!!!!
(I thought I was the only one who had come up with the solution...)

iht: 1
Msft: 0

So, anyway. I know now what hardware you have. What else are you loading? Are you loading the 4n1 drivers? How about detonators? Tweaking anything in the registry? Firewall? Mbm temps?
Anonymous
April 7, 2002 3:08:25 AM

let me see.
4 in 1 loaded
detonators. looking for older version but stuck with 28.32 right now.
no reg stuff
firewall: blackice right now (maybe zon alarm pro later)
mbm temps?: running at 51 case on 49 case off (i know it's because i have one of the fans blowing the wrong way hehehe)
mobo temp is 33 case off, 44 case on hehehe
sb live value xp drivers
promise ata 100 winxp drivers
that's about it.
April 7, 2002 3:49:15 PM

Which 4n1's? The 4.38's?

I used to have problems like you have when I first cranked up Winxp. A *WHOLE* bunch of bad cd burns, corrupted .ace and .rar files transfered across the channels, vid card lockups, sound crackles.

Anyway, I just stopped loading the 4n1's. I still load the 4n1's under my dual boot Winme. Hdtach showed me no difference (not significant, anyways) between the two, so I didn't sweat it. Might use up a few more cycles when I'm messing around, but the stability is there. The native XP drivers are doing ok by me so far.

I'm using the 27.42's right now, but I've been hearing some really good rezults with the 28.32's, so I think I'm going to load them up. My gf2 ultra probably won't get any significant boost, so I don't worry about it much.

Mbm is stable. I had some issues with the 5103, but 5104 is stable. The cpu temp is a little more important than the case temp, but a case temp of 33 isn't good at all (unless you're living in Saudi in the middle of august). Work on that cpu temp if it climbs above 55C running stock; if it nails 65C, leave the case panels off.

XP has native promise drivers. I have stuck with those.

My sb live isn't causing any problems that I can tell. I used to think it was the problem, before I nuked the 4n1's from orbit.
Anonymous
April 7, 2002 8:24:45 PM

yeah. well both of them with or without them it's still the same thing. and i've think i've found the problem. now. the only thing now is.... to see if they'll replace that part. lol. i've just tried two different ram sticks, and with the second one it crashs like cz. so i'm starting to think it's the mobo that is making all the problems. i won't know until my friend gets me his other ram stick.

and i can't seem to get ram testers to work. :- ( poohy

well i just tested the ram. it works fine with no errors at all. so i'm out of ideas.

not the video card
not the sound card
not the ram
not the mobo
not the HD
what else is left to check?<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by iht on 04/08/02 00:49 AM.</EM></FONT></P>
April 11, 2002 12:32:14 AM

I had a problem close to yours and spent hours reserching it. IHad just built this system,Asus A7V133,1400 Thunderbird, and it turn out to be the memory. This was brand new memory.I would not accept it at first, but ordered some more from crucial and wam! Had not had a problem in months(just a occasional discomfort). Bruce
April 23, 2002 4:53:04 PM

BSOD's are, 90% of the time caseud bye either Faulty Memory, (or memory controller) a Faulty CPU (or CPU power management) or 10% of the time it's caused by a windows program trying to write to a bit of hard ware.

BSOD's are generated by your processor.. not windows. if you try really really hard you can BSOD dos.

Talk is Cheap.
shall I addit to the Bill?
Anonymous
April 25, 2002 2:00:57 AM

I had the same problem, and it turned out to be the ram, even though several different programs that test the memory said it was ok. I finally downloaded a memory tester that has to be run of a boot floppy, and WOW...little red X's every where!!!

New ram...and not a single crash since.
!