[WoW] Where to go next for almost-30 Paladin?

Archived from groups: alt.games.warcraft,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

Earlier, I wrote in
<URL:http://groups.google.ca/groups?selm=slrnd3g9gd.hq0.ylee%40pobox.com>:
> Speaking of which, how many different paths are there in the game? I
> know that were I to start a new Human Warlock character I'd also
> start at Goldshire and face the same quests as I'm doing now, minus
> the few character-specific quests like the Paladin one I'm doing
> now. But what if I began as a Gnome Warlock, and thus start off at
> (I think) Dun Morogh? Where would the two story paths merge? (Given
> that I've begun to receive 25-30 level Gnomeragan quests I suspect
> I've reached the merge point.) If I began as a Night Elf Mage on the
> other side of the world, what about then? Is there a point where I'd
> "permanently" migrate to the Eastern continent?

Later, I explained why I asked the above:
> I'd want the experience for my next character to be as different as
> possible from my Paladin.

To clarify, if/when my human Paladin makes 60, I'd like to then start
working my 3 gnome Mage--currently serving as an Ironforge Auction
House mule--and would like his storyline to be as fresh to me as
possible. Then after that, perhaps I'd work a Night Elf Druid. Then
I'd start tackling Horde storylines. But if it turns out that, say,
all post-30 Alliance characters' storylines overlap, I'll understand.

That's the future. Currently my Paladin is about to make level 30, and
I've completely cleared Goldshire, Westfall (through VanCleef and even
the lighthouse, which I bet many never find; I know I had to be told
about it, I think here. I've also helped in finishing the
Rogue-specific quest in the tower), Redridge (through Gath'Ilzogg and
Lt. Fangore, plus Rethban Ore), and Duskwood (through Morbent Fel,
plus Look to the Stars). I've completed all the Stockades quests, have
obtained the Paladin-specific weapon, and have pursued the overarching
Alliance storyline into its two (for now) dead ends, having defeated
the private outside Theramore and killing those two guys in the
Stormwind Keep garden.

For quest purposes I've visited Ironforge/Kharanos, Thelsamar/Loch
Modan, Menethil, Southshore, Theramore, Shadowfang Keep, Auberdine,
and the Zoram Strand. In each case I've tried to see as little as
possible; for example, in Theramore I made sure to go no further north
than to the private's camp.

The only quests left on my log are a half-dozen Gnomeragon quests. I'd
thought of skipping them in favor of my gnome Mage, but am considering
doing them with my Paladin as well because, after all, an instance is
designed to be replayed multiple times. I'd definitely do them if
necessary for the overarching Alliance storyline to continue, but my
sense is they aren't.

So, where to next for me, keeping in mind my desire to follow a
storyline that will overlap as little as possible with future
characters? I tried Stranglethorn Vale, making it all the way to Booty
Bay (those ?? gorillas are quite a sight), but it seems just a little
bit high for me.

--
<URL:http://www.pobox.com/~ylee/> PERTH ----> *
Cpu(s): 8.9% us, 2.2% sy, 0.2% ni, 83.1% id, 5.1% wa, 0.4% hi, 0.0% si

Archived from groups: alt.games.warcraft,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

Yeechang Lee <ylee@pobox.com> wrote in

> To clarify, if/when my human Paladin makes 60, I'd like to then start
> working my 3 gnome Mage--currently serving as an Ironforge Auction
> House mule--and would like his storyline to be as fresh to me as
> possible. Then after that, perhaps I'd work a Night Elf Druid. Then
> I'd start tackling Horde storylines. But if it turns out that, say,
> all post-30 Alliance characters' storylines overlap, I'll understand.

It takes until 30 for the storylines to overlap on the Alliance side? I
was getting Horde overlap by level 10 .. it all depends on where you want
to quest, I suppose. I took a brief stint working on Undead quests in
Undercity when my Tauren was young.

Anyway, I would definitely recommend playing a Horde character as your next
instead of another Alliance.

--
~ Cyde Weys ~
So say we all.

Archived from groups: alt.games.warcraft,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

Yeechang Lee <ylee@pobox.com> once tried to test me with:

> So, where to next for me, keeping in mind my desire to follow a
> storyline that will overlap as little as possible with future
> characters? I tried Stranglethorn Vale, making it all the way to Booty
> Bay (those ?? gorillas are quite a sight), but it seems just a little
> bit high for me.

Just go wherever you want. You won't be able to see all of the level-
appropriate content on just one character. Eventually you'll pass the level
of whatever area you haven't gone to yet and grey quests won't show up on
your radar. The thing is, even if you prefer a human warlock, you can
always leave the Stormwind area and go adventure somewhere else. Take the
human over to Teldrassil and play fun with the elves. Or whereever. Or just
do the quests you think are fun in all the zones.

Once a Gamer, Always a Gamer.

Archived from groups: alt.games.warcraft,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

In article <slrnd4dcl6.c06.ylee@pobox.com>,
Yeechang Lee <ylee@pobox.com> wrote:

> Earlier, I wrote in
> <URL:http://groups.google.ca/groups?selm=slrnd3g9gd.hq0.ylee%40pobox.com>:
> > Speaking of which, how many different paths are there in the game? I
> > know that were I to start a new Human Warlock character I'd also
> > start at Goldshire and face the same quests as I'm doing now, minus
> > the few character-specific quests like the Paladin one I'm doing
> > now. But what if I began as a Gnome Warlock, and thus start off at
> > (I think) Dun Morogh? Where would the two story paths merge? (Given
> > that I've begun to receive 25-30 level Gnomeragan quests I suspect
> > I've reached the merge point.) If I began as a Night Elf Mage on the
> > other side of the world, what about then? Is there a point where I'd
> > "permanently" migrate to the Eastern continent?
>
> Later, I explained why I asked the above:
> > I'd want the experience for my next character to be as different as
> > possible from my Paladin.
>
> To clarify, if/when my human Paladin makes 60, I'd like to then start
> working my 3 gnome Mage--currently serving as an Ironforge Auction
> House mule--and would like his storyline to be as fresh to me as
> possible. Then after that, perhaps I'd work a Night Elf Druid. Then
> I'd start tackling Horde storylines. But if it turns out that, say,
> all post-30 Alliance characters' storylines overlap, I'll understand.
>
> That's the future. Currently my Paladin is about to make level 30, and
> I've completely cleared Goldshire, Westfall (through VanCleef and even
> the lighthouse, which I bet many never find; I know I had to be told
> about it, I think here. I've also helped in finishing the
> Rogue-specific quest in the tower), Redridge (through Gath'Ilzogg and
> Lt. Fangore, plus Rethban Ore), and Duskwood (through Morbent Fel,
> plus Look to the Stars). I've completed all the Stockades quests, have
> obtained the Paladin-specific weapon, and have pursued the overarching
> Alliance storyline into its two (for now) dead ends, having defeated
> the private outside Theramore and killing those two guys in the
> Stormwind Keep garden.
>
> For quest purposes I've visited Ironforge/Kharanos, Thelsamar/Loch
> Modan, Menethil, Southshore, Theramore, Shadowfang Keep, Auberdine,
> and the Zoram Strand. In each case I've tried to see as little as
> possible; for example, in Theramore I made sure to go no further north
> than to the private's camp.
>
> The only quests left on my log are a half-dozen Gnomeragon quests. I'd
> thought of skipping them in favor of my gnome Mage, but am considering
> doing them with my Paladin as well because, after all, an instance is
> designed to be replayed multiple times. I'd definitely do them if
> necessary for the overarching Alliance storyline to continue, but my
> sense is they aren't.

You won't get far soloing Gnomeregan at 30, if that's your intent.

> So, where to next for me, keeping in mind my desire to follow a
> storyline that will overlap as little as possible with future
> characters? I tried Stranglethorn Vale, making it all the way to Booty
> Bay (those ?? gorillas are quite a sight), but it seems just a little
> bit high for me.

Stranglethorn is too hard for your level, if you're soloing.

You should have done the Wetlands, it gives you the Dark Iron Dwarves
quests, and leads you to Hillsbrad Foothills, which is the next level
after Duskwood. There's overlap, but all the Level/Zone grids, like the
one on allakhazam.com show Wetlands, Duskwood, then Hillsbrad. Note: I
have no idea if that follows any story arcs.

Quite frankly, I'd like to see you report later what the next step is,
because trying to figure out what the main story arc IS, is giving me a
headache, there's so many story arcs in the game!

"Davian" <davian@nospammindspring.com> wrote in message

> Going to and from the elf lands, in addition to running to / from capital
> cities, you will have to brave the entire length of Wetlands to take ship
> at
> Methenil Harbor. Wetlands is a low 20's zone, so a level 1 passing
> through
> has a large enough aggro range that the crocs will come out of the water
> after
> him. It can be done, (especially if you're willing to take a few deaths
> while the repair costs are 5 copper)... but it's a lot more effort.

Just bank everything. That's what I did with Katase when I ran her across
to Anvilmar. And, yes, the aggro radius is helluva large in Wetlands. This
made shadow meld useless (I don't know if they would have seen through
anyways). I'd have aggro before I ever knew I needed to use it, so all that
would be left was to try to get past their "turn back" range. Thankfully,
they aggroed from so far away, this wasn't difficult, except when they were
in front of me.

Doppleganger wrote:
> Quite frankly, I'd like to see you report later what the next step
> is,

It's probably going to be Gnomeregan on the basis that instances are
supposed to be repeatable. I will see, once I get to 30, whether
another Paladin-specific and/or ongoing main Alliance
storyline-related quest pops up at the Cathedral or the Keep in
Stormwind.

> because trying to figure out what the main story arc IS, is giving
> me a headache, there's so many story arcs in the game!

There are, but (at least for the Alliance) isn't there *one* big,
overarching one? I don't want to spoil anyone, so am being coy here,
but as I mentioned in my original post I've already defeated Private
Hendel and killed the two men in the Keep's indoor garden. In turn, I
know from both firsthand witnessing (twice happened to be in the Keep
at the right time; there have been threads on it here, too) and some
commonsensical ability to read between the lines of the onscreen text
and descriptions that said storyline concludes in a big, big way
around level 60.

And what's the Horde's equivalent?

--
<URL:http://www.pobox.com/~ylee/> PERTH ----> *
Cpu(s): 14.3% us, 2.6% sy, 0.5% ni, 78.3% id, 4.2% wa, 0.2% hi, 0.0% si

Yeechang Lee wrote:

> It's probably going to be Gnomeregan on the basis that instances are
> supposed to be repeatable.

Instance quests are not repeatable. You can make repeated runs on the
instance for the loot is all. No different than anything else.
Everything respawns. You can keep redoing the same outdoors areas as
much as you want as well. I don't know where you got this thing that
instances are especially repeatable.

> I will see, once I get to 30, whether
> another Paladin-specific and/or ongoing main Alliance
> storyline-related quest pops up at the Cathedral or the Keep in
> Stormwind.

There should be. Every class I have seen so far has a class specific
quest at 30.

> > because trying to figure out what the main story arc IS, is giving
> > me a headache, there's so many story arcs in the game!
>
> There are, but (at least for the Alliance) isn't there *one* big,
> overarching one? I don't want to spoil anyone, so am being coy here,
> but as I mentioned in my original post I've already defeated Private
> Hendel and killed the two men in the Keep's indoor garden. In turn, I
> know from both firsthand witnessing (twice happened to be in the Keep
> at the right time; there have been threads on it here, too) and some
> commonsensical ability to read between the lines of the onscreen text
> and descriptions that said storyline concludes in a big, big way
> around level 60.
>
> And what's the Horde's equivalent?

I haven't seen any of the major storylines come to any sort of real
conclusion. There're a few major arcs you go through. Creating the
new plague, rooting out the Burning Blade, stopping the Silithid,
defeating the centaurs.

You do have some quests that score major victories and such. But none
of them seem to have any sort of final conclusion to them. The
Silithid comes close, you do finally defeat their queen in the 50s but
then you just find "Oh but they were being controlled by a far more
sinister force." But the story stops there -- no way to go after this
demonic influence or whatever it is.

All the centaur stuff might come to a satisfying conclusion. I'm not
sure. You creat a false alliance with one of the clans to turn it
against the other, and then defeat that clan afterwards. I got up to
the last quest for the Gelki clan storyarc but then I outleveled the
quest before I got a group together to do it so I never saw the rest of
the chain.

I haven't played an undead character up to the higher levels. The
forsaken may eventually succeed in creating the plague. I don't know.
I did, however, pop into the story briefly with my Tauren to do the
sample collection stuff and kill the Spider God in the 50s so at least
at that point they were still researching the plauge.

The real major endgame quests are the ones in Plaguelands and in
Blackrock but from what I've seen it's just a collection of random
stuff. No ongoing story of their own, and no connection to any of the
earlier continuing storylines.

patrick.barnes@standardregister.com wrote:
> > It's probably going to be Gnomeregan on the basis that instances are
> > supposed to be repeatable.
>
> Instance quests are not repeatable. You can make repeated runs on
> the instance for the loot is all. No different than anything else.
> Everything respawns. You can keep redoing the same outdoors areas
> as much as you want as well. I don't know where you got this thing
> that instances are especially repeatable.

I think people know what I meant. Really, is there much difference
(other than some additional XP, which really isn't very much in the
grand scheme of things) between getting VanCleef's head for your own
quest and helping someone else get it for his? Isn't isn't as if your
strategy for accomplishing this, or for all the fighting that led up
to the big man himself, is any different. No, the real attraction of
the instances is the loot, experiences, and XP along the way, and
that's certainly repeatable.

--
<URL:http://www.pobox.com/~ylee/> PERTH ----> *
Cpu(s): 11.1% us, 2.0% sy, 0.4% ni, 83.5% id, 2.8% wa, 0.1% hi, 0.0% si

TRENDING THREADS