Sign in with
Your question

Mobo kaput but HD etc fine: How to rebuild?

Last response: in Windows 7
June 5, 2012 12:25:44 PM

Its official - my Intel DP55WB motherboard is dead :sweat: 

Fortunately all data, Win7+WinXP files, programs and partitions on my HD are fine, as is PSU, memory and all other components. Whew!

So I have just bought a new Intel DQ57TM motherboard that as far as I can see is fully compatible with the same CPU and memory as my old mobo :sol: 

Now I have to figure out how to rebuild my system that if possible I would prefer to do without having to completely reformat my HD. Is this possible?

The HD is divided into 4 NTFS partitions:
a) WIN 7 os + program files
b) data
c) more data
d) WIN XP + program files

My understanding is that it is NOT advisable to just hook up my original Win7 os formatted HD to my new mobo and expect it to run smoothly if at all, right?

Would it be possible to do the following:
step 1: mount my new mobo w PSU, CPU, memory, fans, etc but not original HD
step 2: hook up an extra HD I have gathering dust to my new mobo
step 3: reformat and install Win XP os on this extra HD
step 4: mount original HD (as well as the extra HD that now has WinXP os)
step 5: run Win XP on extra HD, open original HD, reformat partition (d) on original HD, delete WIN7 os files from partition (a)
step 6: restart computer via WINXP on extra HD then install WIN 7 as os upgrade on partition (a) of original HD
step 8: remove extra HD
step 9: restart via Win7 os on original HD

Is this doable???

question 1: Instead of starting out by installing Win XP on an extra HD could I just reformat partition (d) thereby removing old version of WinXP as part of a fresh Win XP install on partition (d)
question 2: If I remove WIN 7 os from partition (a) that I must do sooner or later, then do I also have to remove and reinstall all the program files on partition (a) or will all the programs continue to work fine after I remove and reinstall Win7 on partition (a)?

OR….???

As you can see I don't know very much about computers so any advice you can give will be much appreciated.
June 5, 2012 1:39:35 PM

lowep said:

My understanding is that it is NOT advisable to just hook up my original Win7 os formatted HD to my new mobo and expect it to run smoothly if at all, right?

Check support section (under motherboards) on Intel's Website and see if you current CPU is compatible. I didn't lookup your boards but if the form factor didn't change, you shouldn't have any issues hooking up Power supply etc. to the new mother board. Hooking up the HDD to new Motherboard will be an iffy. Most times (and this can vary) the OS will find the new hardware and add it. Few times, you might run into freezes and other issues.

I'd say, backup your drive (maybe on another system) - use Active Diskimage like tool (google it) and try plugging in the drive and boot. If it works, then it will add the new hardware and/or any new components. This is the quick and dirty way.

The correct way would be to reinstall your OS into the partitions you already have. The data partitions should not be affected if you don't repartition the drive and/or format them. Of course, you should format the OS partitions if you are going this route.

Good Luck!
June 5, 2012 3:44:00 PM

try plugging in the drive and boot...

thanks tester,

will do. i guess if it freezes I should cut the power and try starting again by reinstalling the os as you suggest.

if it does work (ie boots up) should I just go ahead and keep using the computer as if nothing has happened, or:

remove anything?
reinstall anything?
install the drivers that came on the CD with the new mobo?
knock on wood?
Related resources
a c 431 V Motherboard
a b $ Windows 7
June 5, 2012 4:24:54 PM

check the chipset of the old and new mb. if there not the same you want tot boot into safe mode and under device manager remove everything. then reboot. have the driver cd or usb stick with intel newest chipset driver.
June 6, 2012 2:03:07 AM

If you want my honest opinion, I'd say, reformat the partitions and start over installing OS of your choice and customize it to your preferences.

See, that's the reason why I use tools like DiskImage. I can just take a whole disk image (it includes MBR, Partition info, Boot, OS etc.). So, you can just backup a certain partition or the whole disk.

The thing with running over the existing install is that, you MAY have a fully working version after all the Scan/Add hardware sessions. Still, there would be some stuff left from previous install that is not part of the current configuration. Should it matter? Maybe not. But, if you think like I do, you'd rather put in the work now to do a fresh install so that you don't have to keep troubleshooting stuff later. plus, its not that complicated.

Like I said, BACKUP YOUR DRIVE. FIRST! Before you do anything. This way, you can afford to screw up (not that I suggest you do) :-)
!