wrathofrath

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2003
I just installed a new Maxtor 120 GB Hardrive. It's coming up as a 32 Gb Hardrive. I tried formating it, partitioning it,and resizing it but it's still coming up 32 Gb.Anyone ever seen this before.

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
Its a problem of fat32 with certain windows revisions... you need to enable large drive support. Even so, having more than 32Gb per partition with fat32 is inneficient and terribly wastefull. Its better using NTFS (if you have win2k or XP), or partitioning the drive 4 ways.

what os do u use?

<b>My Computer is so powerful Suron Desires it and mortal men Covert it, <i>My Precioussssssss</i></b>

DCB_AU

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2002
Are you using Win98/SE.
If you are there's a updated bootdisk/Fdisk at www.bootdisk.com for recognizing larger drives with Win98/SE. Check the whole section as I'am not sure/remember if it was upgraded by a patch located at the end of the section. {two downloads "might" be required}

DCB_AU

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I've heard of it but never seen it, the Fat32 32GB limitation. I've formated an 80GB drive at full size in Fat32 using a Windows98SE boot disk, never tried on an earlier version. But the first thing I'd check is whether your BOARD sees it at full size or not, as some BIOS's had a 32GB limit. Go into BIOS and use the "detect hard drive" utility and see what comes up.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

Cruthin

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2003
A lot of Motherboards I’ve seen that do not support Hard Disks above 32GB will simply not detect the large Hard Disk or will hang on the POST screen. So I would think that BIOS is not at fault in this case, as the Hard Disk appears to be detected, albeit, as the wrong size. To be certain you could always update your Motherboard’s BIOS to the most recent version (if you haven’t done so already).

Since you didn’t list what OS you’re using, be aware the limitations of FAT32, as mentioned in some of the above posts. You also haven’t mentioned which model of Maxtor Hard Disk you have. Some large Hard Disks can be configured via jumpers to limit their size to 32GB. I’m not sure if this is true about Maxtor Hard Disks, but this is definitely the case with certain models of IBM Hard Disk. So check the jumper settings on the Hard Disk or go to www.maxtor.com to get further help with whatever model of Hard Disk you have.

Hope this is of some help.

wrathofrath

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2003
I read the jumper diagram wrong. I'm using it as a slave drive so there should be no jumper on there. I took it off and now it shows up 120 Gb. Figures something stupid like that. Thanks so much for all who replied. I'm now a much happier man.

marneus

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
one of 2 things here, eith you have the 32gb limiter on in your jumper settings or you need the latest version of fdisk (Me edition or newer if it exists) to recognise such a large drive (i needed a newer fdisk version when I installed my 80gig drive)

Hmmm, wonder if I can get a valid page fault ???
these invalid ones are far too commonplace...