Winbench 99 disk tests only go up to 106 mb/s?

kal326

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I tested out my raid array today and got the same max transfer rate as Tom did when he tested. However, I am running my scsi raid on a 64bit 33mhz PCI meaning that I should be able to transfer upwards of 266mb/s or atleast be able to reach up near 160mb/s which is the scsi max for my card. Anybody else ever try on a similiar setup? HD Tach is was off on its tranfer rate test, anybody else know of another benchmark to try out?

Error RAID!!! Error RAID!!! Heads crashing down everywhere, oh the humanity!!!!

mindspan

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2003
I ran into a similar problem when testing my 3ware 8 drive ide array w/ matrox's test utility (from their rt2500 video editing suite). It maxed out at about 112mb/s, although it should have been able to hit closer to 200mb/s...

I decided in the end that either the test program had a cap to it (likely, since that was the high speed on several tests), or it was just limited by the 64bit/33mhz pci (one of these days I may upgrade the old Thunder k7 and get to try the card on a 64bit/66mhz, or pci-x bus)

not much of an answer, but if you run the test several times, and always come up with the exact same number as peak...I would suspect the test program.

-Aaron

kal326

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Raid0 array, all 4 drives are IBM 15,000 rpm U160 drives, all on one channel. Each drive should have a sustained transfer of 30-50 mb/s. Even the scsi bus should allow for transfer up to 160mb/s. Its a dual channel card, but I only have one cable for all the drives. If I put two drives on each channel then there would be no way that it would be a scsi bandwidth problem. On top of that the card is a 64bit 33Mhz PCI in a 64/33 slot so it should have a available bandwidth of around 266mb/s because its the only card on that PCI bus. I just think the Winbench program has problem running that high of throughput.

Error RAID!!! Error RAID!!! Heads crashing down everywhere, oh the humanity!!!!