Account Unknown - Appearing in security tab on folder properties??

aizza

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2011
Hi to all reading this thread i hope you can help,

I am concerned about these "Unknown Accounts" that are appearing in the security tab on folder options the type of unknown accounts are:

Account Unknown(S-15-21-etc
Account Unknown(S-15-21-etc
Account Unknown(S-15-80-etc

In terms of security on my computer it leaves a concern; i just want to known if its safe to have these unknown accounts and they're not for example a remote hacker of some sort especially when the last "account unknown" is related to a network of somesort that has access to files on my computer through a network/proxy which does concern me quite a bit and i hope not... although ive done some brief research on unknown accounts each forum is telling me a different story. If its any relation there was a standard user account that was created on windows 7 but has been deleted im just wondering if any one of them accounts has any relation to the unknown accounts.

Thanks,

Aaron.

Hello,

Was this computer on a domain? If it was on a domain - and you took it off there might have been domain accounts that did exist but now do not if your off the domain now.

Also - most likely those "unkown" accounts are from a deleted account - most likely what you mentioned (standard user).

Some software also creates accounts to be used by the program only. When removing these programs they sometimes leave files behind and since they no longer have an owner, they will show up like this.

You can most likely remove those accounts from the file's permissions with no ill effects. You might want to make sure someone (a valid account) has ownership of those files so that you can delete the file if needed.

aizza

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2011
Thanks for your replies :) im just thinking in terms of home network i have an dab radio downstairs that you can also stream of the computer music etc that might be to do with the: Account Unknown(S-15-80, and the device has been removed of the network so maybe and hawkeye i will do that or just remove all permisions for now on those mysterious accounts :) Cheers

aizza

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2011

Do you think it will be probably the device that was removed from my home network thats left a profile/account on the tab ?

tester321

Honorable
Jun 5, 2012
Was the Hard drive pulled from another machine? Or is it always in the original system? Run Malwarebytes. If all checks out ok, Just delete them and see if they are showing up again.

Unless you know / use certain software that create user accounts to run services and other tasks, a general use Win 7 system shouldn't have these. Homegroup could add accounts I suppose but, I don't use Homegroup so, you might want to dig a bit about that -if you are into sharing via homegroup.

Dark Lord of Tech

Retired Moderator
Some software also creates accounts to be used by the program only. When removing these programs they sometimes leave files behind and since they no longer have an owner, they will show up like this.

Plus 1 Hawkeye!

pow1

Reputable
Jun 22, 2014
what did it for me. I reinstalled win7 and found these unknown accounts on all folders on other partitions and other storage drive folders. with a clean install using the same user name and admin name. I took control of each folder one by one. by using right click/ properties/ security/ highlight admin or users click advanced/ highlight admin or users/ change permissions/ highlight admin or users and click to tick both boxes called include inheritable and replace all child object permissions/click apply or ok/ next you will be back on the :advanced security setting page. click owner/ edit and choose who you want to take control of the folder. when you go back to your security page you will find that you can delete all of these unknown accounts. if you get an error on a folder unable to do stuff it means you already have ownership of that folder or files. this might help prevent the ones who hijacked my credentials from entering my system as an authorized user. after you clean install you don't actually own your own files until you take ownership of them.

pow1

Reputable
Jun 22, 2014
what did it for me. I reinstalled win7 and found these unknown accounts on all folders on other partitions and other storage drive folders. with a clean install using the same user name and admin name. I took control of each folder one by one. by using right click/ properties/ security/ highlight admin or users click advanced/ highlight admin or users/ change permissions/ highlight admin or users and click to tick both boxes called include inheritable and replace all child object child permissions/click apply or ok/ next you will be back on the :advanced security setting page. click owner/ edit and choose who you want to take control of the folder. when you go back to your security page you will find that you can delete all of these unknown accounts. if you get an error on a folder unable to do stuff it means you already have ownership of that folder or files. this might help prevent the ones who hijacked my credentials from entering my system as an authorized user. after you clean install you don't actually own your own files until you take ownership of them.
oops posted twice appols