Is Soulbringer worth getting?

Hi all

Just wanted to ask what you guys think of Soulbringer?
I think it's more than five years old now - so probably showing its
age, but I do have an old "Bits" review which said (i think):
"Souldbringer has a very intuitive and easy to use interface for such a
complex game..."
In summery they gave quite a favourable review.

Do you think the above rings true? b/c I've just come across a copy in
the bargin bin the other day for £2.99?
My previous experience with computer rpgs ranges from Dizzy on the old
Amstrad to more recently NWN - although I found it difficult to hold my
interest with the OC...
Should I maybe try another rpg intead - one thats a little less
complex?
Thanks

Michael

thrasher

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2004

On 29 Mar 2005 08:55:28 -0800, "mikepro"
<michael_near_to_baldersgate@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

>Just wanted to ask what you guys think of Soulbringer?

It's a bad game. It was a bad game the day it was released.

>Do you think the above rings true? b/c I've just come across a copy in
>the bargin bin the other day for £2.99?

Well, that's not much money, even for a bad game...

>My previous experience with computer rpgs ranges from Dizzy on the old
>Amstrad to more recently NWN - although I found it difficult to hold my
>interest with the OC...

That's not much experience. I'd suggest Baldur's Gate 2 and Icewind
Dake 2, Torment, the Fallout games... those are all roughly from the
same time perios as Soulbringer and are *much* better games.

Soulbringer was one of the many really bad RPGs that were released in
the aftermath of Baldur's Gate, Fallout and Might & Magic 6 - a
"cashing in on the free meney" game. You know, because anything that
had "roleplaying" on the box would sell a certain number of copies, no
matter how bad it was.

>Should I maybe try another rpg intead - one thats a little less
>complex?

Personally, I don't consider a game that isn't complex (in content,
not interface) an RPG. And it wasn't complexity that made Soulbringer
a loser, it was everything about it. If you are bent on an RPG-lite
from that time perios, though, I'd suggest Nox. It's the only one I
can recall that was fairly good. Good enough that I played it all the
way through, at least. Also, Diablo 2, but that's a given.

I had fun with it. Not a AAA title but not bad either.

"mikepro" <michael_near_to_baldersgate@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
Hi all

Just wanted to ask what you guys think of Soulbringer?
I think it's more than five years old now - so probably showing its
age, but I do have an old "Bits" review which said (i think):
"Souldbringer has a very intuitive and easy to use interface for such a
complex game..."
In summery they gave quite a favourable review.

Do you think the above rings true? b/c I've just come across a copy in
the bargin bin the other day for £2.99?
My previous experience with computer rpgs ranges from Dizzy on the old
Amstrad to more recently NWN - although I found it difficult to hold my
interest with the OC...
Should I maybe try another rpg intead - one thats a little less
complex?
Thanks

Michael

"mikepro" <michael_near_to_baldersgate@yahoo.co.uk> once tried to test me
with:

> Just wanted to ask what you guys think of Soulbringer?

Meh.

> I think it's more than five years old now - so probably showing its
> age, but I do have an old "Bits" review which said (i think):
> "Souldbringer has a very intuitive and easy to use interface for such a
> complex game..."
> In summery they gave quite a favourable review.

It got an avg rating of 67% out of 100% on GameRankings (based on review
scores written by the gaming press).

On GameSpot the readers there gave it an avg of 6.6 out of 10.

> Do you think the above rings true? b/c I've just come across a copy in
> the bargin bin the other day for £2.99?

No, I don't, actually, I felt the interface of Soulbringer was one of the
downsides to it, it didn't feel that intuitive to me. But it wasn't god
aweful either. For example, Gothic has a much worse interface but I loved
that game. For such a small price why not just get it and see?

> My previous experience with computer rpgs ranges from Dizzy on the old
> Amstrad to more recently NWN - although I found it difficult to hold my
> interest with the OC...

Sounds like you haven't played the classics. I'd recommend one of the
following way sooner than I'd recommend Soulbringer:

Planescape: Torment
Gothic
Fallout 1 & 2
Baldur's Gate series (esp. 2)
Betrayal at Krondor
Diablo II (get the Battlechest version)
Ultima series (esp. 7)
Might & Magic series (esp. 4 & 5)
Wizardry series (esp. 7 & 8)
Icewind Dale series

For more modern selections I'd go with:
Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic
Gothic 2
Freedom Force 1 & 2
World of Warcraft

> Should I maybe try another rpg intead - one thats a little less
> complex?

Any good RPG is going to be pretty complex, that's what sets them apart
from adventure games.

One of our regulars here Bob Perez really liked Soulbringer, you can read
his review of it here:

http://tinyurl.com/6wg7q [ google groups link ]

If you do end up playing Soulbringer, tell us what you think of it.

Once a Gamer, Always a Gamer.

In message <1112115328.507273.106920@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com>,
mikepro <michael_near_to_baldersgate@yahoo.co.uk> writes
>Hi all
>
>Just wanted to ask what you guys think of Soulbringer?
>I think it's more than five years old now - so probably showing its
>age, but I do have an old "Bits" review which said (i think):
>"Souldbringer has a very intuitive and easy to use interface for such a

Get it !! You'll love it.

Pretty hard to get into, but once the game gets going it's one of the
best around. I have it on my "must keep" shelf with the likes of
Planescape & Baldurs Gate.

--
Edward Cowling London UK

mikepro wrote:
> Hi all
>
> Just wanted to ask what you guys think of Soulbringer?
> I think it's more than five years old now - so probably showing its
> age, but I do have an old "Bits" review which said (i think):
> "Souldbringer has a very intuitive and easy to use interface for such a
> complex game..."
> In summery they gave quite a favourable review.
>
> Do you think the above rings true? b/c I've just come across a copy in
> the bargin bin the other day for £2.99?
> My previous experience with computer rpgs ranges from Dizzy on the old
> Amstrad to more recently NWN - although I found it difficult to hold my
> interest with the OC...
> Should I maybe try another rpg intead - one thats a little less
> complex?
> Thanks
>
> Michael

Here's a positive review of it
http://www.just-rpg.com/default.asp?pid=94

Knight37 <knight37m@email.com> writes:

> Sounds like you haven't played the classics. I'd recommend one of the
> following way sooner than I'd recommend Soulbringer:
>
> Planescape: Torment

Both of these games come packaged together and this is the easiest way
to find either of them. No need to choose between them. Soulbringer
had some quirks, but it was fun.

--
Darin Johnson
The opinions expressed are not necessarily those of the

Knight37 <knight37m@email.com> wrote:
>"mikepro" <michael_near_to_baldersgate@yahoo.co.uk> once tried to test me
>with:
>
>> Just wanted to ask what you guys think of Soulbringer?
>
>Meh.
>
>> I think it's more than five years old now - so probably showing its
>> age, but I do have an old "Bits" review which said (i think):
>> "Souldbringer has a very intuitive and easy to use interface for such a
>> complex game..."
>> In summery they gave quite a favourable review.
>
>It got an avg rating of 67% out of 100% on GameRankings (based on review
>scores written by the gaming press).

67 per hundred out of 100 per hundred?

>On GameSpot the readers there gave it an avg of 6.6 out of 10.
>
>> Do you think the above rings true? b/c I've just come across a copy in
>> the bargin bin the other day for £2.99?
>
>No, I don't, actually, I felt the interface of Soulbringer was one of the
>downsides to it, it didn't feel that intuitive to me. But it wasn't god
>aweful either. For example, Gothic has a much worse interface but I loved
>that game. For such a small price why not just get it and see?
>
>> My previous experience with computer rpgs ranges from Dizzy on the old
>> Amstrad to more recently NWN - although I found it difficult to hold my
>> interest with the OC...
>
>Sounds like you haven't played the classics. I'd recommend one of the
>following way sooner than I'd recommend Soulbringer:
>
>Planescape: Torment
>Gothic
>Fallout 1 & 2
>Baldur's Gate series (esp. 2)