Planescape:torment is on its way

Just bought myself a copy of it off of eBay, and it should make it's way to
me in the next xouple of days/weeks.

I am currently running a PIII 1000, will I need to use any programs to slow
things down a bit to play it, or will it run like that. IIRC, it is from
the same era as BG, which runs just fine.

I am also getting Soulbringer with it, so if I ever play that, I will be
able to provide a short review.

--
Marcel
http://mudbunny.blogspot.com/

    1) Congratulations.
    2) No, you don't need to slow it down, or take any precautions to get
    it to run.

    Marcel Beaudoin wrote:
    > Just bought myself a copy of it off of eBay, and it should make it's
    way to
    > me in the next xouple of days/weeks.
    >
    > I am currently running a PIII 1000, will I need to use any programs
    to slow
    > things down a bit to play it, or will it run like that. IIRC, it is
    from
    > the same era as BG, which runs just fine.

    You should be okay. If you're getting the original, 4 CD version,
    you'll need to download the patch, though, as the unpatched version has
    a rather nasty slowdown bug. Don't do this if you're getting the 2 CD
    version, though - that version is already patched, and from what I've
    heard, patching it again can cause problems.

    Otherwise, enjoy the game!

    Good point about the patch, forgot all about it.

    There's also the fan-patch, which fixes a number of additional things.
    Could be worth installing.

    On 2005-03-30, mike_noren2002@yahoo.co.uk <mike_noren2002@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
    > 1) Congratulations.
    > 2) No, you don't need to slow it down, or take any precautions to get
    > it to run.
    3) Just book some time off work ;)

    --
    Toby.
    field to circumvent my email filters.

    Toby <google@asktoby.com> wrote in

    > On 2005-03-30, mike_noren2002@yahoo.co.uk <mike_noren2002@yahoo.co.uk>
    > wrote:
    >> 1) Congratulations.
    >> 2) No, you don't need to slow it down, or take any precautions to get
    >> it to run.
    > 3) Just book some time off work ;)

    So ordering it 3 weeks after my wife gave birth was a bad idea then??
    Perhaps a webcam into the child's bedroom so I can watch her grow??

    --
    Marcel
    http://mudbunny.blogspot.com/

    Toby wrote:

    > On 2005-03-30, mike_noren2002@yahoo.co.uk <mike_noren2002@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
    >
    >>1) Congratulations.
    >>2) No, you don't need to slow it down, or take any precautions to get
    >>it to run.
    >
    > 3) Just book some time off work ;)

    At least 3 days of solid play time ;-)

    Marcel Beaudoin wrote:

    > Toby <google@asktoby.com> wrote in
    >

    >>On 2005-03-30, mike_noren2002@yahoo.co.uk <mike_noren2002@yahoo.co.uk>
    >>wrote:
    >>
    >>>1) Congratulations.
    >>>2) No, you don't need to slow it down, or take any precautions to get
    >>>it to run.
    >>
    >>3) Just book some time off work ;)
    >

    > So ordering it 3 weeks after my wife gave birth was a bad idea then??
    > Perhaps a webcam into the child's bedroom so I can watch her grow??

    Lock the door, stock up on pizza and beer, and tell the wife you are on
    a "business trip" for the next few days :-)

    On 2005-03-30, Marcel Beaudoin <me@privacy.net> wrote:
    > Toby <google@asktoby.com> wrote in
    >
    >> On 2005-03-30, mike_noren2002@yahoo.co.uk <mike_noren2002@yahoo.co.uk>
    >> wrote:
    >>> 1) Congratulations.
    >>> 2) No, you don't need to slow it down, or take any precautions to get
    >>> it to run.
    >> 3) Just book some time off work ;)
    >
    > So ordering it 3 weeks after my wife gave birth was a bad idea then??
    > Perhaps a webcam into the child's bedroom so I can watch her grow??

    I think the wife might want to visit her parents for a weekend or
    something. At least it's a good idea if you have PST.

    On 30 Mar 2005 15:00:55 GMT, Marcel Beaudoin <me@privacy.net> wrote:

    >Just bought myself a copy of it off of eBay, and it should make it's way to
    >me in the next xouple of days/weeks.
    >
    >I am currently running a PIII 1000, will I need to use any programs to slow
    >things down a bit to play it, or will it run like that. IIRC, it is from
    >the same era as BG, which runs just fine.
    >
    >I am also getting Soulbringer with it, so if I ever play that, I will be
    >able to provide a short review.

    Get psyched. You are in for a great experience. It's such a cool
    game.

    P3 1000 should be fine for you. I played it on a P4 2.66 GHz, and it
    was fine.
  10. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    Marcel Beaudoin wrote:
    > I am also getting Soulbringer with it, so if I ever play that, I will be
    > able to provide a short review.

    Great. I'll call 1995 and let them know.
  11. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    James Garvin <jgarvin2004@comcast.net> once tried to test me with:

    > Toby wrote:
    >
    >> On 2005-03-30, mike_noren2002@yahoo.co.uk
    >> <mike_noren2002@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
    >>
    >>>1) Congratulations.
    >>>2) No, you don't need to slow it down, or take any precautions to get
    >>>it to run.
    >>
    >> 3) Just book some time off work ;)
    >
    > At least 3 days of solid play time ;-)

    Not really. You can finish it in 20 or 30 hours. Max.

    But that's the first time through.

    Then you'll want to start over and play a different way. :)

    Once a Gamer, Always a Gamer.
  12. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    burt1112@hotmail.com once tried to test me with:

    > Marcel Beaudoin wrote:
    >> Just bought myself a copy of it off of eBay, and it should make it's
    > way to
    >> me in the next xouple of days/weeks.
    >>
    >> I am currently running a PIII 1000, will I need to use any programs
    > to slow
    >> things down a bit to play it, or will it run like that. IIRC, it is
    > from
    >> the same era as BG, which runs just fine.
    >
    > You should be okay. If you're getting the original, 4 CD version,
    > you'll need to download the patch, though, as the unpatched version has
    > a rather nasty slowdown bug. Don't do this if you're getting the 2 CD
    > version, though - that version is already patched, and from what I've
    > heard, patching it again can cause problems.

    If he's getting the Soulbringer/Torment jewel-CD bundle it's the patched
    version already.

    Once a Gamer, Always a Gamer.
  13. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    Walter <waltersibbons@hotmail.com> wrote in

    > Marcel Beaudoin wrote:
    >> I am also getting Soulbringer with it, so if I ever play that, I will
    >> be able to provide a short review.
    >
    > Great. I'll call 1995 and let them know.

    While I bask in the glow of your wit, check out this message
    and you will see why I mentioned a review of Soulbringer.

    --
    Marcel
    http://mudbunny.blogspot.com/

    Mike typed:
    > There's also the fan-patch, which fixes a number
    > of additional things. Could be worth installing.

    Very much worth it. Get the fan patch here:
    http://www.planescape-torment.org/

    It fixes *heaps* of inconsistencies as you can read on that
    page, but do not read it - for there are possible spoilers. ;)

    --
    };> Matt v3.2 <:{
  15. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    On 2005-03-31, mec'devil <delusions@fools.paradise.net.nz> wrote:
    > Mike typed:
    >> There's also the fan-patch, which fixes a number
    >> of additional things. Could be worth installing.
    >
    > Very much worth it. Get the fan patch here:
    > http://www.planescape-torment.org/
    >
    > It fixes *heaps* of inconsistencies as you can read on that
    > page, but do not read it - for there are possible spoilers. ;)

    I'm playing PS:T for the second time at the moment, and this time I
    applied that patch. I actually can't notice any difference, which
    implies that it doesn't do any harm, at least!

    --
    Toby.
    field to circumvent my email filters.
  16. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    Thusly Toby <google@asktoby.com> Spake Unto All:

    >> Very much worth it. Get the fan patch here:
    >> http://www.planescape-torment.org/
    >>
    >> It fixes *heaps* of inconsistencies as you can read on that
    >> page, but do not read it - for there are possible spoilers. ;)
    >
    >I'm playing PS:T for the second time at the moment, and this time I
    >applied that patch. I actually can't notice any difference, which
    >implies that it doesn't do any harm, at least!

    Same here. I'm only halfway through (for the fifth! time), this time
    with the fan-patch, but so far no noticeable difference.

    --
    Fun Fact of the Day: In exit polls at the election 2004 the percentage of American
    voters citing moral and ethical values as their prime concern was 22 percent,

    Mean_Chlorine wrote:
    > Thusly Toby <google@asktoby.com> Spake Unto All:
    >
    >>> Very much worth it. Get the fan patch here:
    >>> http://www.planescape-torment.org/
    >>>
    >>> It fixes *heaps* of inconsistencies as you can read on that
    >>> page, but do not read it - for there are possible spoilers. ;)
    >>
    >> I'm playing PS:T for the second time at the moment, and this time I
    >> applied that patch. I actually can't notice any difference, which
    >> implies that it doesn't do any harm, at least!
    >
    > Same here. I'm only halfway through (for the fifth! time), this time
    > with the fan-patch, but so far no noticeable difference.

    I just recently finished replaying it (still a fantastic game) with the fan
    patch, and didn't notice any major difference. Certainly nothing was broken.

    --
    Mark.

PC gaming Video Games