Question about installing windows 7 on multiple PC from network driv

efx2001

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2011
I would like to setup a network system where I can install windows 7 on multiple PC using a network drive. Does anybody know of a guide where I can setup a network drive that will be plugged into a router? Then when I need to install windows on multiple pc I can just connect those pc to router and boot from network. Please help if you can. Thank You! :D

Solution
No, you would have to setup a server to administer the installs whether you choose ghost or PXE. Then you could plug your network drive into the server to store your images. Is this for a home office style setting?

indyitguy

Honorable
Feb 7, 2013
You can use Symantec Ghost:
Easy to setup, but you have to create a bootable USB/CD/DVD to boot the system from. So if you want to install on 20 machines at once you have to create 20 bootable USB/CD/DVD.

You can setup a PXE/TFTP server:
Takes more to setup but you can boot every machine from the network.

You also want to make sure your network can handle that kind of load. I can install on 10 machines using our ghost setup in a little more than an hour. Our Ghost server and system stations are all connected up to a gig switch.

indyitguy

Honorable
Feb 7, 2013
No, you would have to setup a server to administer the installs whether you choose ghost or PXE. Then you could plug your network drive into the server to store your images. Is this for a home office style setting?

Solution