What was your first CRPG?

Last response: in Video Games
March 30, 2005 4:07:56 PM

Not the best one you played, but the first.

For me: Sword of Fargoal on the C64.

More about : crpg

Anonymous
March 30, 2005 5:30:31 PM

littlemute wrote:
> Not the best one you played, but the first.
>
> For me: Sword of Fargoal on the C64.

Zork ;-) Actually probably Sun Dog.
Anonymous
March 30, 2005 7:20:02 PM

littlemute wrote:
> Not the best one you played, but the first.
>
> For me: Sword of Fargoal on the C64.

Is the old Lord of the Rings game considered an RPG? If so that was my
first one and if not then it was Eye of the Beholder 2.

Paula
March 30, 2005 7:22:04 PM

On 30 Mar 2005 12:07:56 -0800, littlemute wrote:

> Not the best one you played, but the first.
>
> For me: Sword of Fargoal on the C64.

Telengard on the TRS-80
--
RJB
3/30/2005 3:21:49 PM

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm
not sure about the former."
-Albert Einstein
Anonymous
March 30, 2005 7:23:25 PM

littlemute wrote:
> Not the best one you played, but the first.
>
> For me: Sword of Fargoal on the C64.

Either Dragon Warrior on the NES or The Bard's Tale on the C64.

--
best regards, mat
np: [winamp not running]

www.pdxshows.net
Anonymous
March 30, 2005 8:43:34 PM

I always love the one I'm playing the best, because these CRPGs
are timeless.

Mark

"littlemute" <littlemute@woodenmen.org> wrote in message
> Not the best one you played, but the first.
>
> For me: Sword of Fargoal on the C64.

Anonymous
March 30, 2005 10:23:34 PM

Marcel Beaudoin wrote:
> "littlemute" <littlemute@woodenmen.org> wrote in
>
> > Not the best one you played, but the first.
>
> Pool of Radiance on the C64.
> Long live graph paper!!!!
>

> --
> Marcel
> http://mudbunny.blogspot.com/

Eye of the Beholder got me hooked on RPG.
All the time I wasted drawing those square map...;-)
Anonymous
March 31, 2005 12:10:00 AM

"littlemute" <littlemute@woodenmen.org> wrote in

> Not the best one you played, but the first.

Pool of Radiance on the C64.
Long live graph paper!!!!

--
Marcel
http://mudbunny.blogspot.com/
Anonymous
March 31, 2005 1:19:01 AM

On 30 Mar 2005 12:07:56 -0800, "littlemute" <littlemute@woodenmen.org>
wrote:

>Not the best one you played, but the first.
>
>For me: Sword of Fargoal on the C64.

Eye of the Beholder on a 386. I remember looking at the map that came
with the game and thinking there was only three levels in the game.
Anonymous
March 31, 2005 1:31:27 AM

"Vader des Vaderlands" <vader@vaderlands.nl> wrote in message
> littlemute wrote:
>> Not the best one you played, but the first.
>>
>> For me: Sword of Fargoal on the C64.
>>

> Either Dragon Warrior on the NES or The Bard's Tale on the C64.
>

> --
> best regards, mat
> np: [winamp not running]
>
> www.pdxshows.net

Exactly the same for me, except Bard's Tale was on a PC
March 31, 2005 2:09:01 AM

On 2005-03-30, littlemute <littlemute@woodenmen.org> wrote:
> Not the best one you played, but the first.
>
> For me: Sword of Fargoal on the C64.

I think it might have been Pork 2, the Gizzard of Showbiz.

--
Toby.
field to circumvent my email filters.

In article <1112213276.823664.147900@l41g2000cwc.googlegroups.com>,
littlemute@woodenmen.org says...

>Not the best one you played, but the first.

>For me: Sword of Fargoal on the C64.

Might & Magic 1 on an Apple //e.

Civil War Round Table of DC & Concentration Camp made of Lego bricks
http://members.tripod.com/~kennrice
Maps of Ultima 7 Parts 1 & 2, Prophecy of the Shadow, Savage Empire,
Crusaders of Dark Savant & Others.
Anonymous
March 31, 2005 2:47:16 AM

wrote:

>Not the best one you played, but the first.
>
>For me: Sword of Fargoal on the C64.

Tunnels of Doom. TI-99. I had to save games on my cassette tape
drive.
Anonymous
March 31, 2005 2:48:15 AM

> Not the best one you played, but the first.
>
> For me: Sword of Fargoal on the C64.

Dragon Ball Z for the Super NES.

Yes.

-Moa Dragon
Anonymous
March 31, 2005 3:00:59 AM

"littlemute" <littlemute@woodenmen.org> writes:

> Not the best one you played, but the first.

That would probably be The Valley on an Oric-1.
Anonymous
March 31, 2005 3:18:53 AM

littlemute wrote:
> Not the best one you played, but the first.
>
> For me: Sword of Fargoal on the C64.

Puh. I'd say Wasteland or Ultima 4 on a C64.

--
Reclaim Your Inbox!
March 31, 2005 3:18:54 AM

Florian Spisla wrote:

> littlemute wrote:
>
>> Not the best one you played, but the first.
>>
>> For me: Sword of Fargoal on the C64.
>

> Puh. I'd say Wasteland or Ultima 4 on a C64.

Oh ya...Ultima 4...I almost forgot about that one....man, my memory is
fading fast :-(
Anonymous
March 31, 2005 3:39:42 AM

Thusly "littlemute" <littlemute@woodenmen.org> Spake Unto All:

>Not the best one you played, but the first.
>
>For me: Sword of Fargoal on the C64.

Lords of Midnight. Spectrum 48K.

(Incidentally there's a remake of Sword of Fargoal for PC. Still
strangely addictive.)

--
Fun Fact of the Day: In exit polls at the election 2004 the percentage of American
voters citing moral and ethical values as their prime concern was 22 percent,

On 30 Mar 2005 12:07:56 -0800, in comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg, "littlemute"
<littlemute@woodenmen.org> wrote:

>Not the best one you played, but the first.
>
>For me: Sword of Fargoal on the C64.

That was my first CRPG too, but it was a Vic-20 game, not a C-64 game. :-)
Ran from a cartridge that plugged into the back of the computer.

--
Nick <mailto:tanstaafl@pobox.com>

TANSTAAFL! (There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch!) R.A.H.
Anonymous
March 31, 2005 4:14:44 AM

wrote:

>Not the best one you played, but the first.
>
>For me: Sword of Fargoal on the C64.

Not sure - Eye of the Beholder, or the Gold Box games - Pools of
Darkness, etc.

I wish there ere more games series these days - I loved carrying
grooups from one game to the next.

And what's with all the carrots ?
March 31, 2005 4:26:30 AM

On 30 Mar 2005 12:07:56 -0800, "littlemute" <littlemute@woodenmen.org> wrote:

>Not the best one you played, but the first.
>
>For me: Sword of Fargoal on the C64.

Possibly The Hobbit on the Spectrum 48k.
Anonymous
March 31, 2005 4:53:04 AM

"littlemute" <littlemute@woodenmen.org> once tried to test me with:

> Not the best one you played, but the first.
>
> For me: Sword of Fargoal on the C64.

There was some RPG on the TRS-80 that was basically like Dungeons & Dragons
but all text, sort of like a Zork style game but more emphasis on stats and
combat. That was the first RPG I did.

And another one similar to that on the Apple II also.

But I don't remember the names to either of those.

I do, however, remember the first RPG I ever paid for, and that was
Wizardry for the IBM PC. I still remember it fondly. MAHALITO! TILTOWAIT!

Once a Gamer, Always a Gamer.
Anonymous
March 31, 2005 5:31:26 AM

"littlemute" <littlemute@woodenmen.org> wrote in message news:<1112213276.823664.147900@l41g2000cwc.googlegroups.com>...
> Not the best one you played, but the first.
>
> For me: Sword of Fargoal on the C64.

Ahhh, nostalgia.

My first was Ultima V on the Apple IIe.

I keep hoping that someone's gonna re-make this classic - some folks
were doing a Dungeon Siege version of it a while ago...

--
Josh
Anonymous

littlemute wrote:
> Not the best one you played, but the first.
>
> For me: Sword of Fargoal on the C64.

Ultima Underworld 2 on a 486/66
Anonymous
March 31, 2005 6:27:44 AM

Ultima 5
Anonymous
March 31, 2005 7:32:02 AM

Michael Cecil <macecil@comcast.net> once tried to test me with:

> I'll just say Trek on a teletype to a Vax 30 miles away. No one else is
> sticking to the CRPG parameter, why should I?

Trek isn't an RPG, the stuff I listed was.

Once a Gamer, Always a Gamer.
Anonymous
March 31, 2005 8:17:05 AM

littlemute wrote:
> Not the best one you played, but the first.
>
> For me: Sword of Fargoal on the C64.

Rogue. Or as my mom kept calling it back then, "rouge".
Anonymous
March 31, 2005 9:44:27 AM

littlemute bolted into comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg, wreathed in wicked, white hot
flames, and screamed...

>Not the best one you played, but the first.
>
>For me: Sword of Fargoal on the C64.

Ultima III on an Apple II+ (without instructions), bought it for the C64 later
so I could know what the spells did. Was a text adventure hound prior.

--
Zag

I thought I could organize freedom, how very
Scandinavian of me. ...Björk
Anonymous
March 31, 2005 9:45:24 AM

James Garvin bolted into comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg, wreathed in wicked, white
hot flames, and screamed...

>littlemute wrote:
>> Not the best one you played, but the first.
>>
>> For me: Sword of Fargoal on the C64.
>
>Zork ;-)

Gesundheit!

--
Zag

I thought I could organize freedom, how very
Scandinavian of me. ...Björk
Anonymous
March 31, 2005 9:48:54 AM

littlemute bolted into comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg, wreathed in wicked, white hot
flames, and screamed...

>Not the best one you played, but the first.
>
>For me: Sword of Fargoal on the C64.

I take Ultima III back!

Adventure on the Atari 2600 was my first RPG.

--
Zag

I thought I could organize freedom, how very
Scandinavian of me. ...Björk
Anonymous
March 31, 2005 11:21:39 AM

littlemute wrote:
> Not the best one you played, but the first.
>
> For me: Sword of Fargoal on the C64.

Hmm, if Starflight counts as an RPG, I guess that was it. Or maybe it was
Bard's Tale.

Hell, I dunno--I've slept since then.

A lot.
--
chainbreaker

If you need to email, then chainbreaker (naturally) at comcast dot
net--that's "net" not "com"--should do it.
Anonymous
March 31, 2005 12:03:11 PM

Wizardry on Apple IIe.
Anonymous
March 31, 2005 12:03:12 PM

In article <424b3ea3$1@news.starhub.net.sg>, Zyan <koty@pacific.net.sg> wrote:

>Wizardry on Apple IIe.

Ditto. That opened up a whole new universe.

--
Kyle Haight
Anonymous

Cheers everyone,

My first was my best - game that is.

Dungeons of moria, no color, ASCII characters Dos based, but loads of
fun.

forget the name but god I hated the creature "l" that mutiplied in that
game.

Ah I miss the days, where playability and dungeon building were more
important than great graphics.

Hawklan
Anonymous
March 31, 2005 12:56:03 PM

>> Not the best one you played, but the first.

mb> Pool of Radiance on the C64. Long live graph paper!!!!

Mine was Bard's Tale, on a PC, ca 1988. Strangely I had been playing
computer games since 1982 on a C64, on the Amiga, and a bit on PC's, but
never encountered the early RPG's. I think the whole RPG culture filtered
through to Europe a little late, and the same's true for computer versions
of it. Not that they were unavailable, just not very popular.

Regards, Hartmut "rather played Elite" Schmider
--
Hartmut Schmider, Queen's University

We are capable of sacrificing ourselves for sentiment.
Sentimentality exacts the sacrifice of others.
Yoritomo-Tashi
Anonymous
March 31, 2005 2:09:47 PM

Temple of Apshai for me (about 1986), then Wizardry 1 (think beginning
1987) both on IBM PC. I played Zork before that but that's an
adventure game
March 31, 2005 2:15:11 PM

The Bards Tale - on a Spectrum 48k - scary as hell.
Anonymous
March 31, 2005 2:32:14 PM

Michael Cecil wrote:

> I'll just say Trek on a teletype to a Vax 30 miles away. No one else is
> sticking to the CRPG parameter, why should I?

Old Fart ;-)
Anonymous
March 31, 2005 3:02:37 PM

Hartmut Schmider wrote:

> >> Not the best one you played, but the first.
>
> mb> Pool of Radiance on the C64. Long live graph paper!!!!
>
> Mine was Bard's Tale, on a PC, ca 1988. Strangely I had been playing
> computer games since 1982 on a C64, on the Amiga, and a bit on PC's, but
> never encountered the early RPG's. I think the whole RPG culture filtered
> through to Europe a little late, and the same's true for computer versions
> of it. Not that they were unavailable, just not very popular.

I noticed that when I was over their, in the mid 90's, (Heidelberg,
Germany) that the RPG shops were pretty popular, but the gaming stuff
was slightly dated (usually about 5 years older than what was in the
states).
Anonymous
March 31, 2005 3:08:42 PM

In article <mrqdndFh744FlNbfRVn-oA@comcast.com>,
James Garvin <jgarvin2004@comcast.net> wrote:
>littlemute wrote:
>> Not the best one you played, but the first.
>>
>> For me: Sword of Fargoal on the C64.
>
>Zork ;-) Actually probably Sun Dog.

What does the C mean? I would presume that it wouldn't
include HAUNT, DUNGEON, and ADVENT.

/BAH

Subtract a hundred and four for e-mail.
Anonymous
March 31, 2005 3:39:39 PM

James Garvin wrote:

(C64)
> The tape drive was pretty sweet. For (IRRC) $100 you could STORE
your
> programs on a tape!

Yeah, and you had to adjust azimuth for pretty much every individual
cassette, and either wait half an hour (literally) while the game
loaded from tape OR get the cracked version with "tape turbo", and load
it in one minute instead.
I remember using a cartridge with a disassembler and tape turbo, and
the copy program "Pink Floyd", to crack my own games so they wouldn't
take forever to load...

No, wait, Pink Floyd was for the floppy, wasn't it? When floppies were
cutting-edge storage technology, and actually floppy, and one could
double their capacity with a razorblade...

L<"",8,1
Anonymous
March 31, 2005 3:42:47 PM

For me the first was probably the Eamon games (written in Applesoft Basic!)
though it may have been the original Wizardry; after 22 years I'm not sure
which I played first.

Any other old Apple II users remember Eamon?

N.
Anonymous
March 31, 2005 4:46:45 PM

Bitstring <1112213276.823664.147900@l41g2000cwc.googlegroups.com>, from
the wonderful person littlemute <littlemute@woodenmen.org> said
>Not the best one you played, but the first.

Well (the original) 'Pools of Radiance' is the one that sticks in my
mind, as a proper D&D experience, although I guess 'Adventure' (on a
Vax) and 'Net hack' (on a TI 990?) were earlier, and might just
marginally qualify as cRPGs.

--
GSV Three Minds in a Can
SC recommends the use of Firefox; Get smart, or get assimilated.

"littlemute" <littlemute@woodenmen.org> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> Not the best one you played, but the first.
>
> For me: Sword of Fargoal on the C64.

The Bards Tale, on C64.
Anonymous
March 31, 2005 5:29:21 PM

littlemute wrote:
> Not the best one you played, but the first.

Hmm, I consider games like Zork and Hunt the Wumpus to be adventures
rather than RPGs, so I imagine the first CRPG I ever played would be
Alternate Reality for Atari 8-bit computers. (I heard the author was
working on a PC remake for a while, but never released anything.)

Also, since I'm currently in the midst of a gaming renaissance that
began in 2002 after 13 years of non-gaming, I'll name the first CRPG I
played since getting back into gaming: Arx Fatalis on the PC. What a
newb!
Anonymous
March 31, 2005 5:33:52 PM

On Thu, 31 Mar 2005 10:32:14 -0700, James Garvin <jgarvin2004@comcast.net>
wrote:

>Michael Cecil wrote:
>
>> I'll just say Trek on a teletype to a Vax 30 miles away. No one else is
>> sticking to the CRPG parameter, why should I?
>
>Old Fart ;-)

After that I played Wizardry on a friends Apple II, then Ultima II and
Bard's Tale on my shiny new C=. :)  But playing Trek was what first got
me started, I think. I sure did waste a lot of paper.

--
Michael Cecil
http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/

Thusly jmfbahciv@aol.com Spake Unto All:

>>> For me: Sword of Fargoal on the C64.

>What does the C mean?

You serious? Commodore. For a long time the C64 was the most sold
computer*, with, if memory serves, over 12 million units.

* by todays standards it was a console with keyboard; by the standards
of the day it was a computer.

--
Fun Fact of the Day: In exit polls at the election 2004 the percentage of American
voters citing moral and ethical values as their prime concern was 22 percent,
continuing a trend of *decreasing* perceived importance of morals: In the 2000
election 35 percent cited morals & ethical values as their prime concern, and in
1996 a whopping 40%, almost twice as many as in 2004.
(Bet you hadn't gotten that impression from the press, had you?)
Anonymous
March 31, 2005 6:11:20 PM

In article <70qn411dk65ore581o4b59guibkie8ovgp@4ax.com>,
Mean_Chlorine <mike_noren2002@NOSPAMyahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>Thusly jmfbahciv@aol.com Spake Unto All:

>>What does the C mean?
>
>You serious?

Yup. In the computer world, C has many, many meanings.

> ...Commodore.

Thank you. That was my guess but I didn't know for sure.

> ..For a long time the C64 was the most sold
>computer*, with, if memory serves, over 12 million units.
>
>* by todays standards it was a console with keyboard; by the standards
>of the day it was a computer.

Yea, there's different ways of defining computing access.

"Mean_Chlorine" <mike_noren2002@NOSPAMyahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
> Thusly jmfbahciv@aol.com Spake Unto All:

>>What does the C mean?
>
> You serious? Commodore. For a long time the C64 was the most sold
> computer*, with, if memory serves, over 12 million units.

I thought he was asking about the C in CRPG, not the C in C64.

Thusly: if that's so, it just means "computer." There are other kinds of
role-playing games, though of course they're not discussed in a PC games
newsgroup so the "C" is usually not needed.

N.
!