What was your first CRPG?

Not the best one you played, but the first.

For me: Sword of Fargoal on the C64.
137 answers Last reply
More about what crpg

    littlemute wrote:
    > Not the best one you played, but the first.
    >
    > For me: Sword of Fargoal on the C64.

    Zork ;-) Actually probably Sun Dog.

    littlemute wrote:
    > Not the best one you played, but the first.
    >
    > For me: Sword of Fargoal on the C64.

    Is the old Lord of the Rings game considered an RPG? If so that was my
    first one and if not then it was Eye of the Beholder 2.

    Paula

    On 30 Mar 2005 12:07:56 -0800, littlemute wrote:

    > Not the best one you played, but the first.
    >
    > For me: Sword of Fargoal on the C64.

    Telengard on the TRS-80
    --
    RJB
    3/30/2005 3:21:49 PM

    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm
    not sure about the former."
    -Albert Einstein

    littlemute wrote:
    > Not the best one you played, but the first.
    >
    > For me: Sword of Fargoal on the C64.

    Either Dragon Warrior on the NES or The Bard's Tale on the C64.

    --
    best regards, mat
    np: [winamp not running]

    www.pdxshows.net

    I always love the one I'm playing the best, because these CRPGs
    are timeless.

    Mark

    Marcel Beaudoin wrote:
    > "littlemute" <littlemute@woodenmen.org> wrote in
    >
    > > Not the best one you played, but the first.
    >
    > Pool of Radiance on the C64.
    > Long live graph paper!!!!
    >

    > --
    > Marcel
    > http://mudbunny.blogspot.com/

    Eye of the Beholder got me hooked on RPG.
    All the time I wasted drawing those square map...;-)

    On 30 Mar 2005 12:07:56 -0800, "littlemute" <littlemute@woodenmen.org>
    wrote:

    >Not the best one you played, but the first.
    >
    >For me: Sword of Fargoal on the C64.

    Eye of the Beholder on a 386. I remember looking at the map that came
    with the game and thinking there was only three levels in the game.

    "Vader des Vaderlands" <vader@vaderlands.nl> wrote in message
    > littlemute wrote:
    >> Not the best one you played, but the first.
    >>
    >> For me: Sword of Fargoal on the C64.
    >>

    > Either Dragon Warrior on the NES or The Bard's Tale on the C64.
    >

    > --
    > best regards, mat
    > np: [winamp not running]
    >
    > www.pdxshows.net

    Exactly the same for me, except Bard's Tale was on a PC
  10. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    On 2005-03-30, littlemute <littlemute@woodenmen.org> wrote:
    > Not the best one you played, but the first.
    >
    > For me: Sword of Fargoal on the C64.

    I think it might have been Pork 2, the Gizzard of Showbiz.

    --
    Toby.
    field to circumvent my email filters.

    In article <1112213276.823664.147900@l41g2000cwc.googlegroups.com>,
    littlemute@woodenmen.org says...

    >Not the best one you played, but the first.

    >For me: Sword of Fargoal on the C64.

    Might & Magic 1 on an Apple //e.

    Civil War Round Table of DC & Concentration Camp made of Lego bricks
    http://members.tripod.com/~kennrice
    Maps of Ultima 7 Parts 1 & 2, Prophecy of the Shadow, Savage Empire,
    Crusaders of Dark Savant & Others.
  12. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    wrote:

    >Not the best one you played, but the first.
    >
    >For me: Sword of Fargoal on the C64.

    Tunnels of Doom. TI-99. I had to save games on my cassette tape
    drive.
  13. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    > Not the best one you played, but the first.
    >
    > For me: Sword of Fargoal on the C64.

    Dragon Ball Z for the Super NES.

    Yes.

    -Moa Dragon
  14. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    "littlemute" <littlemute@woodenmen.org> writes:

    > Not the best one you played, but the first.

    That would probably be The Valley on an Oric-1.
  15. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    littlemute wrote:
    > Not the best one you played, but the first.
    >
    > For me: Sword of Fargoal on the C64.

    Puh. I'd say Wasteland or Ultima 4 on a C64.

    --
    Reclaim Your Inbox!
  16. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    Florian Spisla wrote:

    > littlemute wrote:
    >
    >> Not the best one you played, but the first.
    >>
    >> For me: Sword of Fargoal on the C64.
    >

    > Puh. I'd say Wasteland or Ultima 4 on a C64.

    Oh ya...Ultima 4...I almost forgot about that one....man, my memory is
    fading fast :-(
  17. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    Thusly "littlemute" <littlemute@woodenmen.org> Spake Unto All:

    >Not the best one you played, but the first.
    >
    >For me: Sword of Fargoal on the C64.

    Lords of Midnight. Spectrum 48K.

    (Incidentally there's a remake of Sword of Fargoal for PC. Still
    strangely addictive.)

    --
    Fun Fact of the Day: In exit polls at the election 2004 the percentage of American
    voters citing moral and ethical values as their prime concern was 22 percent,

    On 30 Mar 2005 12:07:56 -0800, in comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg, "littlemute"
    <littlemute@woodenmen.org> wrote:

    >Not the best one you played, but the first.
    >
    >For me: Sword of Fargoal on the C64.

    That was my first CRPG too, but it was a Vic-20 game, not a C-64 game. :-)
    Ran from a cartridge that plugged into the back of the computer.

    --
    Nick <mailto:tanstaafl@pobox.com>

    TANSTAAFL! (There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch!) R.A.H.
  19. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    wrote:

    >Not the best one you played, but the first.
    >
    >For me: Sword of Fargoal on the C64.

    Not sure - Eye of the Beholder, or the Gold Box games - Pools of
    Darkness, etc.

    I wish there ere more games series these days - I loved carrying
    grooups from one game to the next.

    And what's with all the carrots ?
  20. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    On 30 Mar 2005 12:07:56 -0800, "littlemute" <littlemute@woodenmen.org> wrote:

    >Not the best one you played, but the first.
    >
    >For me: Sword of Fargoal on the C64.

    Possibly The Hobbit on the Spectrum 48k.
  21. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    "littlemute" <littlemute@woodenmen.org> once tried to test me with:

    > Not the best one you played, but the first.
    >
    > For me: Sword of Fargoal on the C64.

    There was some RPG on the TRS-80 that was basically like Dungeons & Dragons
    but all text, sort of like a Zork style game but more emphasis on stats and
    combat. That was the first RPG I did.

    And another one similar to that on the Apple II also.

    But I don't remember the names to either of those.

    I do, however, remember the first RPG I ever paid for, and that was
    Wizardry for the IBM PC. I still remember it fondly. MAHALITO! TILTOWAIT!

    Once a Gamer, Always a Gamer.
  22. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    I'll just say Trek on a teletype to a Vax 30 miles away. No one else is
    sticking to the CRPG parameter, why should I?

    --
    Michael Cecil
    http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/

    "littlemute" <littlemute@woodenmen.org> wrote in message news:<1112213276.823664.147900@l41g2000cwc.googlegroups.com>...
    > Not the best one you played, but the first.
    >
    > For me: Sword of Fargoal on the C64.

    Ahhh, nostalgia.

    My first was Ultima V on the Apple IIe.

    I keep hoping that someone's gonna re-make this classic - some folks
    were doing a Dungeon Siege version of it a while ago...

    --
    Josh
  24. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    littlemute wrote:
    > Not the best one you played, but the first.
    >
    > For me: Sword of Fargoal on the C64.

    Ultima Underworld 2 on a 486/66
  25. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    Ultima 5
  26. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    Michael Cecil <macecil@comcast.net> once tried to test me with:

    > I'll just say Trek on a teletype to a Vax 30 miles away. No one else is
    > sticking to the CRPG parameter, why should I?

    Trek isn't an RPG, the stuff I listed was.

    Once a Gamer, Always a Gamer.
  27. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    littlemute wrote:
    > Not the best one you played, but the first.
    >
    > For me: Sword of Fargoal on the C64.

    Rogue. Or as my mom kept calling it back then, "rouge".
  28. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    littlemute bolted into comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg, wreathed in wicked, white hot
    flames, and screamed...

    >Not the best one you played, but the first.
    >
    >For me: Sword of Fargoal on the C64.

    Ultima III on an Apple II+ (without instructions), bought it for the C64 later
    so I could know what the spells did. Was a text adventure hound prior.

    --
    Zag

    I thought I could organize freedom, how very
    Scandinavian of me. ...Björk
  29. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    James Garvin bolted into comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg, wreathed in wicked, white
    hot flames, and screamed...

    >littlemute wrote:
    >> Not the best one you played, but the first.
    >>
    >> For me: Sword of Fargoal on the C64.
    >
    >Zork ;-)

    Gesundheit!

    --
    Zag

    I thought I could organize freedom, how very
    Scandinavian of me. ...Björk
  30. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    littlemute bolted into comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg, wreathed in wicked, white hot
    flames, and screamed...

    >Not the best one you played, but the first.
    >
    >For me: Sword of Fargoal on the C64.

    I take Ultima III back!

    Adventure on the Atari 2600 was my first RPG.

    --
    Zag

    I thought I could organize freedom, how very
    Scandinavian of me. ...Björk
  31. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    littlemute wrote:
    > Not the best one you played, but the first.
    >
    > For me: Sword of Fargoal on the C64.

    Hmm, if Starflight counts as an RPG, I guess that was it. Or maybe it was
    Bard's Tale.

    Hell, I dunno--I've slept since then.

    A lot.
    --
    chainbreaker

    If you need to email, then chainbreaker (naturally) at comcast dot
    net--that's "net" not "com"--should do it.
  32. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    Wizardry on Apple IIe.
  33. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    In article <424b3ea3$1@news.starhub.net.sg>, Zyan <koty@pacific.net.sg> wrote:

    >Wizardry on Apple IIe.

    Ditto. That opened up a whole new universe.

    --
    Kyle Haight
  34. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    Cheers everyone,

    My first was my best - game that is.

    Dungeons of moria, no color, ASCII characters Dos based, but loads of
    fun.

    forget the name but god I hated the creature "l" that mutiplied in that
    game.

    Ah I miss the days, where playability and dungeon building were more
    important than great graphics.

    Hawklan
  35. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    >> Not the best one you played, but the first.

    mb> Pool of Radiance on the C64. Long live graph paper!!!!

    Mine was Bard's Tale, on a PC, ca 1988. Strangely I had been playing
    computer games since 1982 on a C64, on the Amiga, and a bit on PC's, but
    never encountered the early RPG's. I think the whole RPG culture filtered
    through to Europe a little late, and the same's true for computer versions
    of it. Not that they were unavailable, just not very popular.

    Regards, Hartmut "rather played Elite" Schmider
    --
    Hartmut Schmider, Queen's University

    We are capable of sacrificing ourselves for sentiment.
    Sentimentality exacts the sacrifice of others.
    Yoritomo-Tashi
  36. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    Temple of Apshai for me (about 1986), then Wizardry 1 (think beginning
    1987) both on IBM PC. I played Zork before that but that's an
    adventure game
  37. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    The Bards Tale - on a Spectrum 48k - scary as hell.
  38. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    Michael Cecil wrote:

    > I'll just say Trek on a teletype to a Vax 30 miles away. No one else is
    > sticking to the CRPG parameter, why should I?

    Old Fart ;-)
  39. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    Hartmut Schmider wrote:

    > >> Not the best one you played, but the first.
    >
    > mb> Pool of Radiance on the C64. Long live graph paper!!!!
    >
    > Mine was Bard's Tale, on a PC, ca 1988. Strangely I had been playing
    > computer games since 1982 on a C64, on the Amiga, and a bit on PC's, but
    > never encountered the early RPG's. I think the whole RPG culture filtered
    > through to Europe a little late, and the same's true for computer versions
    > of it. Not that they were unavailable, just not very popular.

    I noticed that when I was over their, in the mid 90's, (Heidelberg,
    Germany) that the RPG shops were pretty popular, but the gaming stuff
    was slightly dated (usually about 5 years older than what was in the
    states).
  40. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    In article <mrqdndFh744FlNbfRVn-oA@comcast.com>,
    James Garvin <jgarvin2004@comcast.net> wrote:
    >littlemute wrote:
    >> Not the best one you played, but the first.
    >>
    >> For me: Sword of Fargoal on the C64.
    >
    >Zork ;-) Actually probably Sun Dog.

    What does the C mean? I would presume that it wouldn't
    include HAUNT, DUNGEON, and ADVENT.

    /BAH

    Subtract a hundred and four for e-mail.
  41. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    James Garvin wrote:

    (C64)
    > The tape drive was pretty sweet. For (IRRC) $100 you could STORE
    your
    > programs on a tape!

    Yeah, and you had to adjust azimuth for pretty much every individual
    cassette, and either wait half an hour (literally) while the game
    loaded from tape OR get the cracked version with "tape turbo", and load
    it in one minute instead.
    I remember using a cartridge with a disassembler and tape turbo, and
    the copy program "Pink Floyd", to crack my own games so they wouldn't
    take forever to load...

    No, wait, Pink Floyd was for the floppy, wasn't it? When floppies were
    cutting-edge storage technology, and actually floppy, and one could
    double their capacity with a razorblade...

    L<"",8,1
  42. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    For me the first was probably the Eamon games (written in Applesoft Basic!)
    though it may have been the original Wizardry; after 22 years I'm not sure
    which I played first.

    Any other old Apple II users remember Eamon?

    N.
  43. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    Bitstring <1112213276.823664.147900@l41g2000cwc.googlegroups.com>, from
    the wonderful person littlemute <littlemute@woodenmen.org> said
    >Not the best one you played, but the first.

    Well (the original) 'Pools of Radiance' is the one that sticks in my
    mind, as a proper D&D experience, although I guess 'Adventure' (on a
    Vax) and 'Net hack' (on a TI 990?) were earlier, and might just
    marginally qualify as cRPGs.

    --
    GSV Three Minds in a Can
    SC recommends the use of Firefox; Get smart, or get assimilated.

    "littlemute" <littlemute@woodenmen.org> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    > Not the best one you played, but the first.
    >
    > For me: Sword of Fargoal on the C64.

    The Bards Tale, on C64.
  45. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    littlemute wrote:
    > Not the best one you played, but the first.

    Hmm, I consider games like Zork and Hunt the Wumpus to be adventures
    rather than RPGs, so I imagine the first CRPG I ever played would be
    Alternate Reality for Atari 8-bit computers. (I heard the author was
    working on a PC remake for a while, but never released anything.)

    Also, since I'm currently in the midst of a gaming renaissance that
    began in 2002 after 13 years of non-gaming, I'll name the first CRPG I
    played since getting back into gaming: Arx Fatalis on the PC. What a
    newb!
  46. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    On Thu, 31 Mar 2005 10:32:14 -0700, James Garvin <jgarvin2004@comcast.net>
    wrote:

    >Michael Cecil wrote:
    >
    >> I'll just say Trek on a teletype to a Vax 30 miles away. No one else is
    >> sticking to the CRPG parameter, why should I?
    >
    >Old Fart ;-)

    After that I played Wizardry on a friends Apple II, then Ultima II and
    Bard's Tale on my shiny new C=. :) But playing Trek was what first got
    me started, I think. I sure did waste a lot of paper.

    --
    Michael Cecil
    http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/
    http://home.comcast.net/~safehex/
  47. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    Thusly jmfbahciv@aol.com Spake Unto All:

    >>> For me: Sword of Fargoal on the C64.

    >What does the C mean?

    You serious? Commodore. For a long time the C64 was the most sold
    computer*, with, if memory serves, over 12 million units.

    * by todays standards it was a console with keyboard; by the standards
    of the day it was a computer.

    --
    Fun Fact of the Day: In exit polls at the election 2004 the percentage of American
    voters citing moral and ethical values as their prime concern was 22 percent,
    continuing a trend of *decreasing* perceived importance of morals: In the 2000
    election 35 percent cited morals & ethical values as their prime concern, and in
    1996 a whopping 40%, almost twice as many as in 2004.
    (Bet you hadn't gotten that impression from the press, had you?)
  48. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    In article <70qn411dk65ore581o4b59guibkie8ovgp@4ax.com>,
    Mean_Chlorine <mike_noren2002@NOSPAMyahoo.co.uk> wrote:
    >Thusly jmfbahciv@aol.com Spake Unto All:

    >>What does the C mean?
    >
    >You serious?

    Yup. In the computer world, C has many, many meanings.

    > ...Commodore.

    Thank you. That was my guess but I didn't know for sure.

    > ..For a long time the C64 was the most sold
    >computer*, with, if memory serves, over 12 million units.
    >
    >* by todays standards it was a console with keyboard; by the standards
    >of the day it was a computer.

    Yea, there's different ways of defining computing access.

    /BAH

    Subtract a hundred and four for e-mail.
  49. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    "Mean_Chlorine" <mike_noren2002@NOSPAMyahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
    > Thusly jmfbahciv@aol.com Spake Unto All:

    >>What does the C mean?
    >
    > You serious? Commodore. For a long time the C64 was the most sold
    > computer*, with, if memory serves, over 12 million units.

    I thought he was asking about the C in CRPG, not the C in C64.

    Thusly: if that's so, it just means "computer." There are other kinds of
    role-playing games, though of course they're not discussed in a PC games
    newsgroup so the "C" is usually not needed.

    N.

PC gaming Games IBM RPG Video Games