MMORPG - Den for immature Kids?

Last response: in Video Games
March 31, 2005 12:44:01 PM

Recently I came back to RPG market,

My first MMORPG (not counting the old BBS games) was a recent venture into
an indie game advertised here no so long ago - Mordisle.
I don't want to generalize based on one indie MMORPG game but I am
concerned about this experience (wondering whether MMORPG is for me?)

Essentially, I found many of the juvenile antics in the PVP area
ridiculous. In fact I asked the age of one of the players, when he
answered 14 I apologized and said "I guess you are just acting your age"

Up until recently I though I was the only person in their 30's still
playing RPG's (the 1st CRPG played topic suggests otherwise - man you guys
were playing way back when I was :)

For fear of generalizing this expereincing I would just like to ask the
more experienced MMORPG players, is this commonplace?

THIS being immature trash talking, killing the same repeatedly etc... I
mean I like PVP and I Know some people need to get the short end of the
stick but aren't there any rules? (huge question I know)

Cheers,

Hawklan
Anonymous
March 31, 2005 12:44:02 PM

Hawklan wrote:
> Essentially, I found many of the juvenile antics in the PVP area
> ridiculous. In fact I asked the age of one of the players, when he
> answered 14 I apologized and said "I guess you are just acting your
age"

Why do you think that, when given the choice, most people prefer
non-PvP games to PvP? Particularly where it's level and gear-based, so
a player with ten more levels and the best gear in the game can gank
the average player with impunity?

Heck, you don't think that games like that would _attract_ the
immature, do you?

Mark
Anonymous
March 31, 2005 12:44:02 PM

Mean_Chlorine wrote:
> If you want MMORPG, people in this newsgroup seem to prefer City of
> Heroes, World of Warcraft, or Everquest2.

Or if you want fantasy PvP without ganking, Guild Wars is worth a look.
It's not a 'real' MMORPG since everything is instanced, but it is quite
fun and, because everything is instanced, it's more mission-based than
the traditional 'kill ten rats and bring me their ears and I'll give
you a rusty sword' MMORPG.

Mark
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
March 31, 2005 12:44:02 PM

Hawklan wrote:
> What is 'instanced' - remember I am new to MMORPG's.

In a traditional MMORPG there's one copy of each zone in the game, and
all players enter that zone: e.g. if a hundred players go into the
'Dungeon of Doom' zone then you'll see all ninety-nine other players
there with you.

In an instanced game, each group goes into their own copy of the zone.
So even if a hundred players go into the 'Dungeon of Doom', you'll only
see the other four or five people in your group there... for a hundred
people the server would be running 15-20 _different_ copies of the
'Dungeon of Doom' zone rather than just one.

Mark
Anonymous
March 31, 2005 3:00:18 PM

Saw the box and ws intrigued(by Guild Wars that is.)

What is 'instanced' - remember I am new to MMORPG's.

Cheers,
Anonymous
March 31, 2005 6:12:17 PM

"Hawklan" <kristan.miller@nospamdnd.ca> wrote in

> Essentially, I found many of the juvenile antics in the PVP area
> ridiculous. In fact I asked the age of one of the players, when he
> answered 14 I apologized and said "I guess you are just acting your
> age"

Yes 14 seems to be a common age for that type of thing. Im surprised at
how often it comes up. Must he hormonal or something.

> Up until recently I though I was the only person in their 30's still
> playing RPG's (the 1st CRPG played topic suggests otherwise - man you
> guys were playing way back when I was :)

Heehee. Im nearing half a century and more often than not I dont even win
the "oldest person" contest in even fairly small groups.

> THIS being immature trash talking, killing the same repeatedly etc...
> I mean I like PVP and I Know some people need to get the short end of
> the stick but aren't there any rules? (huge question I know)

Keep looking around. You will find one you like. Persently Im scouting
around in the free shards that work with the old Ultima Online software.
Lots of fun. But I see many that are obvious kiddy clubs, and others that
are run and played by much more mature people. It usually doesnt take
long to find out which is which. Ive found that those with language
controls tend to have an older player base.

Actually, I knew that long before. Its a basic truism from the MUD days
and even back to BBSs. The kids think that language rules are to make the
place a 'kiddy' place but it tends to have quite the oppossite affect

Gandalf Parker
Anonymous
March 31, 2005 6:12:18 PM

Hey good to hear from ya Gandalf,

I've heard alot about WOW. I like the world ( As experienced in past
games). The concept seems nice, other than technical issues how does it
hold up?

Can it be played as a CRPG? (I used to play Diablo online and offline
in multi-player for a thougher challenge when my characters got too
strong).

Cheers,
Anonymous
March 31, 2005 7:17:30 PM

> Hey good to hear from ya Gandalf,
>
> I've heard alot about WOW. I like the world ( As experienced in past
> games). The concept seems nice, other than technical issues how does it
> hold up?

Believe it or not I havent tried that one yet. About the only one I havent.
:)

> Can it be played as a CRPG? (I used to play Diablo online and offline
> in multi-player for a thougher challenge when my characters got too
> strong).

I still jump into Diablo when I want a quick no-thought game. I wouldnt
mind them doing another one.

Im amazed that they keep those servers going.

Gandalf Parker
Anonymous
March 31, 2005 8:48:54 PM

Thusly "Hawklan" <kristan.miller@nospamdnd.ca> Spake Unto All:

>For fear of generalizing this expereincing I would just like to ask the
>more experienced MMORPG players, is this commonplace?

Not universal, but commonplace, yes.

>THIS being immature trash talking, killing the same repeatedly etc... I
>mean I like PVP and I Know some people need to get the short end of the
>stick but aren't there any rules? (huge question I know)

The bulk of the playerbase are juveniles. The c.s.i.p.g.r group is a
relic from the old days, WE'RE relics - most of the people playing
MMORPGs don't even know the newsgroups exist.

You can get enjoyable multiplayer RPG'ing, but you need to find good
people. The easiest and most agreeable is to gather your own friends
into a LAN session of Neverwinter Nights or Diablo II.

There was an attempt at catering to a more mature audience of MMORPG
players in A Tale In The Desert, but it sortof went overboard in the
other direction. I think it's still around if you want to check it
out.

--
Fun Fact of the Day: In exit polls at the election 2004 the percentage of American
voters citing moral and ethical values as their prime concern was 22 percent,

On 2005-03-31, Mean_Chlorine <mike_noren2002@NOSPAMyahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> The bulk of the playerbase are juveniles. The c.s.i.p.g.r group is a
> relic from the old days, WE'RE relics - most of the people playing
> MMORPGs don't even know the newsgroups exist.

Very true. In fact the reason is this newsgroup barely serves a
purpose anymore. Pre-google and pre-most-of-the-web we came here
to ask questions, write faqs about games, and discuss them. Now
you're better off using a web forum, kiddiness aside, there's
more content there.
Anonymous
March 31, 2005 8:48:56 PM

shadows wrote:

> On 2005-03-31, Mean_Chlorine <mike_noren2002@NOSPAMyahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>

>>The bulk of the playerbase are juveniles. The c.s.i.p.g.r group is a
>>relic from the old days, WE'RE relics - most of the people playing
>>MMORPGs don't even know the newsgroups exist.
>

> Very true. In fact the reason is this newsgroup barely serves a
> purpose anymore. Pre-google and pre-most-of-the-web we came here
> to ask questions, write faqs about games, and discuss them. Now
> you're better off using a web forum, kiddiness aside, there's
> more content there.

*shudder* I'd sooner dive into a swimming pool filled with double edged
razor blades than spend one more minute in a web forum (thanks weird al!)
Anonymous
March 31, 2005 9:01:29 PM

Stay away from the non-RP servers in WOW. The non-RP servers is where the
kiddie set tends to hang out.

Jonah Falcon
Anonymous
March 31, 2005 9:01:30 PM

On Thu, 31 Mar 2005 17:01:29 GMT, Jonah Falcon wrote:

> Stay away from the non-RP servers in WOW. The non-RP servers is where the
> kiddie set tends to hang out.
>
> Jonah Falcon

Unfortunately having "RP" next to a server name is no ward against the
juvenile mindset. There are not enough GMs in *any* MMOG to police every
server (and the policeing they *do* do is so watered down as to be either
pointless or ineffective). You might run into the "RP Nazi"* as often as
the juvenile ganker. Either way it is usually an unpleasant experience.

*When will people learn that phrasing questions with "thou" and "art" is
*not* roleplaying.
--
RJB
3/31/2005 2:25:59 PM

Hanlon's Razor:
"Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by
stupidity."
-Anon.
Anonymous
March 31, 2005 9:03:19 PM

If an MMORPG has an RP (role playing) server, head there. They're more
closely moderated, and far less kiddies there.

Jonah Falcon
Anonymous
April 1, 2005 6:11:54 AM

"Hawklan" <kristan.miller@nospamdnd.ca> once tried to test me with:

> THIS being immature trash talking, killing the same repeatedly etc... I
> mean I like PVP and I Know some people need to get the short end of the
> stick but aren't there any rules? (huge question I know)

LOL, WTF, OMG. N3wb. I pwnz j000!

(ahem)

Yeah, people can be pricks online.

I still really enjoy World of Warcraft though. When it works.

Once a Gamer, Always a Gamer.
Anonymous
April 1, 2005 10:27:14 AM

James Garvin wrote:

> shadows wrote:
>
>> On 2005-03-31, Mean_Chlorine <mike_noren2002@NOSPAMyahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>>

>>> The bulk of the playerbase are juveniles. The c.s.i.p.g.r group is a
>>> relic from the old days, WE'RE relics - most of the people playing
>>> MMORPGs don't even know the newsgroups exist.
>>

>> Very true. In fact the reason is this newsgroup barely serves a
>> purpose anymore. Pre-google and pre-most-of-the-web we came here
>> to ask questions, write faqs about games, and discuss them. Now
>> you're better off using a web forum, kiddiness aside, there's
>> more content there.
>

> *shudder* I'd sooner dive into a swimming pool filled with double edged
> razor blades than spend one more minute in a web forum (thanks weird al!)

Ah, but would you rather clean all the bathrooms in Grand Central
Station with your tongue?
Anonymous
April 1, 2005 10:31:09 AM

Knight37 wrote:

> "Hawklan" <kristan.miller@nospamdnd.ca> once tried to test me with:
>

>>THIS being immature trash talking, killing the same repeatedly etc... I
>>mean I like PVP and I Know some people need to get the short end of the
>>stick but aren't there any rules? (huge question I know)
>

> LOL, WTF, OMG. N3wb. I pwnz j000!

OMGWTFBBQ! What does "pwnz j000" translate to in adult?
Anonymous
April 1, 2005 11:43:34 AM

Thx for the info,

Unfortunately it looks like my early impressions of MMORPG can be
generalized to WOW. I am sad in a sense because I see so much potential
for solid, strategic gaming with online play.

Back in the day on BBS's playing games like Trade Wars showed that
potential. I think I will stay away from WOW and just keep playing CRPG's.
Just played BG2 for the first time!

Cheers & Thanks,

Hawklan
Anonymous
April 1, 2005 2:09:21 PM

Hawklan wrote:

> Thx for the info,
>
> Unfortunately it looks like my early impressions of MMORPG can be
> generalized to WOW. I am sad in a sense because I see so much potential
> for solid, strategic gaming with online play.
>
> Back in the day on BBS's playing games like Trade Wars showed that
> potential. I think I will stay away from WOW and just keep playing CRPG's.
> Just played BG2 for the first time!

They really should make a Trade Wars MMORPG!
April 1, 2005 11:13:59 PM

Thus spake Troll <newstroll@shaw.ca>, Fri, 01 Apr 2005 06:31:09 GMT, Anno
Domini:

>Knight37 wrote:
>
>> "Hawklan" <kristan.miller@nospamdnd.ca> once tried to test me with:
>>

>>>THIS being immature trash talking, killing the same repeatedly etc... I
>>>mean I like PVP and I Know some people need to get the short end of the
>>>stick but aren't there any rules? (huge question I know)
>>

>> LOL, WTF, OMG. N3wb. I pwnz j000!
>
>OMGWTFBBQ! What does "pwnz j000" translate to in adult?

there ya go....:)

April 2, 2005 9:16:41 PM

"Hawklan" <kristan.miller@nospamdnd.ca> wrote in message
> Recently I came back to RPG market,
>
> My first MMORPG (not counting the old BBS games) was a recent venture into
> an indie game advertised here no so long ago - Mordisle.
> I don't want to generalize based on one indie MMORPG game but I am
> concerned about this experience (wondering whether MMORPG is for me?)
>
> Essentially, I found many of the juvenile antics in the PVP area
> ridiculous. In fact I asked the age of one of the players, when he
> answered 14 I apologized and said "I guess you are just acting your age"
>
> Up until recently I though I was the only person in their 30's still
> playing RPG's (the 1st CRPG played topic suggests otherwise - man you guys
> were playing way back when I was :)
>
> For fear of generalizing this expereincing I would just like to ask the
> more experienced MMORPG players, is this commonplace?
>
> THIS being immature trash talking, killing the same repeatedly etc... I
> mean I like PVP and I Know some people need to get the short end of the
> stick but aren't there any rules? (huge question I know)
>
> Cheers,
>
> Hawklan

There are certainly some guilds in these games composed exclusively of
adults. Try advertising, I'm sure they would be happy to recruit someone
with a driver's license who also shaves regularly.
Anonymous
April 2, 2005 9:19:52 PM

<mmaker@my-deja.com> wrote in message
> Hawklan wrote:
>> What is 'instanced' - remember I am new to MMORPG's.
>
> In a traditional MMORPG there's one copy of each zone in the game, and
> all players enter that zone: e.g. if a hundred players go into the
> 'Dungeon of Doom' zone then you'll see all ninety-nine other players
> there with you.
>
> In an instanced game, each group goes into their own copy of the zone.
> So even if a hundred players go into the 'Dungeon of Doom', you'll only
> see the other four or five people in your group there... for a hundred
> people the server would be running 15-20 _different_ copies of the
> 'Dungeon of Doom' zone rather than just one.
>
> Mark

Well, that throws me off Guild Wars for good -- I didn't know. I don't like
the isolation produced by instanced dungeons. I can play a single-player
game for that.
Anonymous
April 3, 2005 12:11:25 PM

Grackle wrote:
> That takes away the most important aspect of an mmorpg, which is to
have
> people inhabiting the same world as yourself.

If you like camping, kill-stealing, ninja-looting, training, respawning
mobs and all the other delights that occur in MMOGs as a result. I'm
not a huge fan of instancing either, but it does have big benefits if
you want to create an online game that's more like a traditional RPG.

> All single-player rpgs
> are essentially linear storylines with milestones that trigger new
events.

As are the 'story' missions in Guild Wars. Again, I'm not convinced
it's the best way to design a game, but for the game they've developed,
it works pretty well.

Mark
April 3, 2005 10:21:57 PM

Thus spake "Grackle" <nobody@lalaland.ca>, Sat, 2 Apr 2005 17:19:52 -0500,
Anno Domini:

><mmaker@my-deja.com> wrote in message
>> Hawklan wrote:
>>> What is 'instanced' - remember I am new to MMORPG's.
>>
>> In a traditional MMORPG there's one copy of each zone in the game, and
>> all players enter that zone: e.g. if a hundred players go into the
>> 'Dungeon of Doom' zone then you'll see all ninety-nine other players
>> there with you.
>>
>> In an instanced game, each group goes into their own copy of the zone.
>> So even if a hundred players go into the 'Dungeon of Doom', you'll only
>> see the other four or five people in your group there... for a hundred
>> people the server would be running 15-20 _different_ copies of the
>> 'Dungeon of Doom' zone rather than just one.
>>
>> Mark
>
>Well, that throws me off Guild Wars for good -- I didn't know. I don't like
>the isolation produced by instanced dungeons. I can play a single-player
>game for that.

I posted a suggestion for a semi-mmog concept a couple months back that I
thought would have a market: basically, you have a decent SP/co-op style
crpg (ala Gothic1/2, NWN, etc. Then you create an online framework for it,
kinda like D2/Guildwars where you can chat, trade & do other non-ingame
stuff. So, you get the feeling of a mmorpg, but you can still be the central
focus of the storyline (because the entire game is *your* instanced version,
along with none, 1 or more friends for co-op play. Games like BG1/2's style
would even benefit from this approach. You would have Steam-like *duck*
online content updates (w/o the bullshit manual patching); you could get
help & maybe even 'call in' a mate or two for a particularly tough battle,
rather than use dumb NPCs. The beauty of it is, you'd feel like you were in
a thriving, living world, with real people for background chatter. Perhaps
even common inns & taverns (with limited players per instance) where people
can 'team-up'. Of course, any progress has to apply to the host's world
snapshot, or optionally to all (but handled much better than D2's mission
structure which was just beggin to be exploited from day 1). Different
players could even be playing in different adventures/modules/area as part
of the illusion of a seamless world, but again, each players controls his
own character, savegames & quest progress. The way mmogs do it today leaves
a lot to be desired, with the storyline & quest depth & complexity
suffering. There's gotta a be a better way where everyone can feel like the
central hero, rather than a treadmill hamster or sheep *sigh*...

April 3, 2005 10:21:58 PM

"Nostromo" <nostromo@spamfree.net.au> wrote in message
news:o i8v41tmnr2cs4sblh8tninj19l04mvgc4@4ax.com...
> [...]
> snapshot, or optionally to all (but handled much better than D2's mission
> structure which was just beggin to be exploited from day 1). Different
> players could even be playing in different adventures/modules/area as part
> of the illusion of a seamless world, but again, each players controls his
> own character, savegames & quest progress. The way mmogs do it today
> leaves
> a lot to be desired, with the storyline & quest depth & complexity
> suffering. There's gotta a be a better way where everyone can feel like
> the
> central hero, rather than a treadmill hamster or sheep *sigh*...
>
> --
> Replace 'spamfree' with the other word for 'maze' to reply via email.

That takes away the most important aspect of an mmorpg, which is to have
people inhabiting the same world as yourself. In your system, the chat
would work fine (although it can lead to quest spoilers), but the item
trading would cause 'synchronization problems' because not everyone in the
single-player game has progressed to the same place. All single-player rpgs
are essentially linear storylines with milestones that trigger new events.
Anonymous
April 3, 2005 11:29:39 PM

mmaker@my-deja.com writes:

> As are the 'story' missions in Guild Wars. Again, I'm not convinced
> it's the best way to design a game, but for the game they've developed,
> it works pretty well.

The Guild Wars concept has been tried before in sci-fi trappings:
Phantasy Star Online on Dreamcast and later editions on GameCube used
the hub + instances concept. Not the world's greatest successes, but
mostly because of too much cheating.
Anonymous
April 4, 2005 6:25:25 AM

Thusly Tor Iver Wilhelmsen <tor.iver.wilhelmsen@broadpark.no> Spake
Unto All:

>mmaker@my-deja.com writes:
>
>> As are the 'story' missions in Guild Wars. Again, I'm not convinced
>> it's the best way to design a game, but for the game they've developed,
>> it works pretty well.
>
>The Guild Wars concept has been tried before in sci-fi trappings:
>Phantasy Star Online on Dreamcast and later editions on GameCube used
>the hub + instances concept. Not the world's greatest successes, but
>mostly because of too much cheating.

Personally I think hub + instancing sounds great. You can meet and
pick up groups at the hub, and, I mean, are other groups of players
anything but an annoyance once you're in a dungeon bashing the minions
of evil? Who wants to stand in line to kill the Evil Wotzit?

--
Fun Fact of the Day: In exit polls at the election 2004 the percentage of American
voters citing moral and ethical values as their prime concern was 22 percent,
continuing a trend of *decreasing* perceived importance of morals: In the 2000
election 35 percent cited morals & ethical values as their prime concern, and in
1996 a whopping 40%, almost twice as many as in 2004.
(Bet you hadn't gotten that impression from the press, had you?)
Anonymous
April 6, 2005 7:29:11 AM

>>The Guild Wars concept has been tried before in sci-fi trappings:
>>Phantasy Star Online on Dreamcast and later editions on GameCube used

>>the hub + instances concept. Not the world's greatest successes, but
>>mostly because of too much cheating.

>Personally I think hub + instancing sounds great. You can meet and
>pick up groups at the hub, and, I mean, are other groups of players
>anything but an annoyance once you're in a dungeon bashing the minions

>of evil? Who wants to stand in line to kill the Evil Wotzit?

The original PSO was very successful. Played it for more hours then I
care to admit. Put Sega failed to move the game on and charged
increasing amount for updates that only added a few new features.
Hence, people gave up and went elsewhere.

The hub (or lobbies as it was called) was great for meting up with your
mates. Everyone had their own lobby they used and there were ones for
general pick up groups (Although that's was where all the hackers
were, so you'll be nuts to play on them!) You log on, see who's on
and join them straight away. None of this travelling to met people.
Anonymous
April 6, 2005 8:41:59 AM

I'd modify that concept slightly : While each world instanced, everyone
share the same world, somehw SIm-like
That is action of one player updatet to all instances then other
players join hub. Loot dropped appear, chests get looted, NPC get
killed, other NPC get spawned, player made structures built, other
player's pets could be fought. One player can build stronghold to hide
his possession and defend it with traps and hired NPC, other loot it.
The protocol for conflicting time-branch resolution is not difficalt to
devise. The main problem how to prevent exploits.
Anonymous
April 6, 2005 1:14:55 PM

You know it's funny I also stopped playing games - ugh not 18 though -
sometime in University... Recently I got back into the market with my son
(who needs dads help the play - age appropriate games of course :)

Unfortunately I can relate with thrasher, whether those vic 20, 64 and
early pc games were actually as good as I remember them or not is
immaterial - the end result is, I am disapointed.

Yes we have grown up, and maybe the experience of gaming itself was more
fun at that age, but it seems like the games themsleves were more
compelling.

A recent example, is when I go to a pc gaming store (ugh- don't exist
anymore right?) I mean electronics store. The merchandising section for Pc
games is nowhere near as extensive as it used to be. It does appear that
the growth of the console market has done so at the expense of the PC
Gaming industry (even though many publishers produce for both).

I can tolerate immaturity, even from adults - but stupidity is hard to
bear. I don't intellectual discussion (I mean I have a wife for that!) but
someone using Messenger to say "nah, nah , nah ," after ganking me (I've
learned this is the most appropriate term), I mean come on.

I don't remember ever partaking in those antics even when I was that age.
I mean I argued with my buddy over who got the spoils for our party in
Bard's Tale Thief of Fate.

Anyways, gaming is just not the same. Maybe we are different and maybe the
industry is different but god I wish I could find my C64 again.

Cheers,

Hawklan
Anonymous
April 6, 2005 4:55:24 PM

On Sat, 2 Apr 2005 17:16:41 -0500, Grackle wrote:

<snip>
> There are certainly some guilds in these games composed exclusively of
> adults. Try advertising, I'm sure they would be happy to recruit someone
> with a driver's license who also shaves regularly.
Don't put much into the theory of post-pubescent females playing MMOGs did
ya? Or are you considering armpits and legs as well? ;)

--
RJB
4/6/2005 12:54:32 PM

"Civilization is unbearable, but it is less unbearable at the top."
-Timothy Leary
Anonymous
April 7, 2005 12:49:01 AM

"RJB" <robartle@NOSPAM.hotmail.com> wrote in message
> On Sat, 2 Apr 2005 17:16:41 -0500, Grackle wrote:
>
> <snip>
>> There are certainly some guilds in these games composed exclusively of
>> adults. Try advertising, I'm sure they would be happy to recruit someone
>> with a driver's license who also shaves regularly.
> Don't put much into the theory of post-pubescent females playing MMOGs did
> ya? Or are you considering armpits and legs as well? ;)

I assume the original poster is male. But yeah, women included; the ones
from North America shave their legs and pits, while the ones from Europe
shave their beards.
Anonymous
April 7, 2005 11:58:13 PM

"Hawklan" <kris@nospamdnd.ca> wrote in message

> I guess in the New landscape in MMORPG's there is very little room for
> father's, grown-ups or otherwise serious gamers. Maybe I can re-live it
> through my children? :)

Your children are a great excuse for allowing you to act like a child
yourself, without other people looking at you weird. You're very lucky, and
if you have a daughter, you can even finally get to play with Barbie (don't
deny it, you want to).
Anonymous
April 8, 2005 12:35:09 PM

Unfortunately, I have always preferred the life size barbie's, hence the
children. I say unfortunately because they look great - but don't listen
as well as the plastic variety ;) .

Yea, I guess children are a good excuse to act like a kid. I would not be
playing pc games again had it not been for my son. Football and video
games ,woo hoo!

Cheers,

Hawklan
Anonymous
April 8, 2005 1:47:50 PM

Xocyll wrote:

> Really depended on the BBS software you chose.
> Some were dead easy to set up, some took a lot more fiddling.
> Then of course there was the question of 1-line or multiline.
> Anyone could set up an ok single line BBS, if they got a good BBS
> package (and for a single line BBS you could use any BBS software.)
> For multiline though there were only a few, commercial, BBS packages and
> they tended to be a bit harder to configure.

Agreed. By todays standard they are impossible. Software today is very
install and run. Most software is pretty easy to configure (unless it
is MS Exchange) and isn't that hard to get running out of the box. The
old BBS were a pain in the butt. The multiline package I uses was
f----bbs (I don't remember the full name...it was like fragglebbs or
something like that). It was hard as hell to make multiline work.

Today a web server (Apache comes to mind) is basically install and
go...can't much easier than that!

I think the average user isn't smarter and the average kid isn't more
tech savvy, but the software and hardware are FAR easier for the average
joe.

> From the user's perspective, really all you had to know was how to start
> your comm package and dial in.

IRRC Procomm (Promodem???) was an excellent dial in package that was
"easy" to use (although you still had to know some of the modem commands).

> Frankly, I miss jumpers.

I agree...Jumpers did make it a little less plug and play, but it would
work right out of the box...right after you configured the jumpers ;-)

> I miss being able to set a modem to a specific comm port and IRQ, then
> install it and have it there, instead of fighting windows for where it's
> going to go (and windows always of course trying to share the IRQ with
> something else unless forced not to.)

Agreed. IRQ sharing is par for the course now. Honestly 15 IRQs is too
few. In modern computers IRQ sharing works (sorta), but really we
should have more IRQs.

> I found the Read Docs, Set Jumper, Install routine to be much faster and
> easier than the Install, Hope windows identifies the hardware properly,
> Fight windows to not share IRQs and to use settings the software can see
> routine.
> The number of times I had windows decide the modem was really a printer,
> or a soundcard or whatever and when finally convinced it was a modem it
> would decide to stick it on Comm Port 15 and share the video cards IRQ,
> making it totally non functional.

Yup! It has gotten better, but there are still tons of problems!

> Yeah, I guess sometimes windows gets it right the first time, but i've
> never seen it happen.

I've had it happen with name brand stuff, but generally it doesn't
happen if the hardware is really new or if the hardware is generic.
April 8, 2005 6:22:45 PM

Thus spake "Grackle" <nobody@lalaland.ca>, Thu, 7 Apr 2005 19:58:13 -0400,
Anno Domini:

>"Hawklan" <kris@nospamdnd.ca> wrote in message
>>
>> I guess in the New landscape in MMORPG's there is very little room for
>> father's, grown-ups or otherwise serious gamers. Maybe I can re-live it
>> through my children? :)
>>

>Your children are a great excuse for allowing you to act like a child
>yourself, without other people looking at you weird. You're very lucky, and
>if you have a daughter, you can even finally get to play with Barbie (don't
>deny it, you want to).

I played a lot with a nurse barbie once. Only lasted a month though :-/

--
A killfile is a friend for life.

April 12, 2005 4:28:24 PM

Xocyll <Xocyll@kingston.net> wrote in

> It also let me automate bluewave fido echo downloads.

Oh yeah, I remember Blue Wave, which was an offline reader for fidonet
messages. Very cool little reader, I wish they'd have converted into a
USENET reader ;) .

Once a Gamer, Always a Gamer.
Anonymous
April 12, 2005 4:28:25 PM

knight37 <knight37m@gmail.com> looked up from reading the entrails of

>Xocyll <Xocyll@kingston.net> wrote in
>
>> It also let me automate bluewave fido echo downloads.
>>

>Oh yeah, I remember Blue Wave, which was an offline reader for fidonet
>messages. Very cool little reader, I wish they'd have converted into a
>USENET reader ;) .

Oh hell yes.
When I first started using Agent I REALLY missed bluewave - especially
so since I first started reading usenet groups via BBS/Bluewave since
certain select groups were ported over by some local sysops.

Xocyll
April 12, 2005 8:54:44 PM

>>> It also let me automate bluewave fido echo downloads.
>>>

>>Oh yeah, I remember Blue Wave, which was an offline reader for fidonet
>>messages. Very cool little reader, I wish they'd have converted into a
>>USENET reader ;) .
>
> Oh hell yes.
> When I first started using Agent I REALLY missed bluewave - especially
> so since I first started reading usenet groups via BBS/Bluewave since
> certain select groups were ported over by some local sysops.

Yeah, man I wonder if the guy that wrote Blue Wave still has the source
code. Seems like a great project for sourceforge.

Once a Gamer, Always a Gamer.
Anonymous
April 16, 2005 4:10:09 AM

James Garvin <jgarvin2004@comcast.net> wrote in news:gtOdnQkn4ddCmsffRVn-
vA@comcast.com:

> I hate that you can't stop it from "detecting" the hardware. It does
> that with one of my mobos. It keeps on "seeing" the onboard ethernet
> connection and I DON'T WANT IT! The driver breaks my USB ports!! Quite
> annoying...

You can probably disable onboard ethernet in your BIOS.
!