KOTOR 2 Patch

Where is the KOTOR 2 patch? What is taking so damn long.
Obsidian Entertainment and Chris Avellone. If you have time to do a
blurb on No Mutants Allowed, then you have time to release a patch for
KOTOR 2. Maybe it is such a bug fest you can't even write a patch?

AARRRRGGGG...Obsidian let it be known that I won't be burned by your
company again. I will not buy NWN 2 until I am SURE that it is bug free
and stable. I will not buy ANY game from you until it has been patched.

/frustration
42 answers Last reply
More about kotor patch

    Got tired of waiting and finished the game as is. No reason not to ,since
    the patch won't ass any content. Just bug fixes. There weren't any game
    stoppers or any bad bugs so the patch wouldn't have done much for me anyway.

    James Garvin in <k56dnSgcfJec0dHfRVn-iQ@comcast.com>:

    > Where is the KOTOR 2 patch?

    Official word is that the patch was handed to LucasArts for QA last week.

    > AARRRRGGGG...Obsidian let it be known that I won't be burned by your
    > company again.

    LOL, 'burned'? The game plays fine as it is unless you have an ATI card,
    and you really can't blame game devs for *your* choice in gfx boards.

    On 2005-03-31, Darth Frog <sherlog@t-online.de> wrote:
    > James Garvin in <k56dnSgcfJec0dHfRVn-iQ@comcast.com>:
    >
    >> Where is the KOTOR 2 patch?
    >
    > Official word is that the patch was handed to LucasArts for QA last week.
    >
    >> AARRRRGGGG...Obsidian let it be known that I won't be burned by your
    >> company again.
    >
    > LOL, 'burned'? The game plays fine as it is unless you have an ATI card,
    > and you really can't blame game devs for *your* choice in gfx boards.

    No it doesn't. Try influencing Atton so his alignment
    changes. Save. Reload. His alignment goes back to neutral. It's a
    bug preventing you from doing things which probably open up more
    of the game content.

    This has been mentioned here before.

    You might now notice the bugs but they are in there.

    "Darth Frog" <sherlog@t-online.de> wrote in message
    > James Garvin in <k56dnSgcfJec0dHfRVn-iQ@comcast.com>:
    >
    >> Where is the KOTOR 2 patch?
    >
    > Official word is that the patch was handed to LucasArts for QA last week.
    >
    >> AARRRRGGGG...Obsidian let it be known that I won't be burned by your
    >> company again.
    >
    > LOL, 'burned'? The game plays fine as it is unless you have an ATI card,
    > and you really can't blame game devs for *your* choice in gfx boards.

    it's their job to make the game work on all recent graphics cards. It's
    great that
    they go it working on both AMD and Intel though, im sure even you wouldve
    been
    pissed off if it didnt work on your computer just becuase you chosed
    "wrong".

    Idiot...

    shadows wrote:

    > On 2005-03-31, Darth Frog <sherlog@t-online.de> wrote:
    >
    >>James Garvin in <k56dnSgcfJec0dHfRVn-iQ@comcast.com>:
    >>

    >>>Where is the KOTOR 2 patch?
    >>
    >>Official word is that the patch was handed to LucasArts for QA last week.
    >>

    >>>AARRRRGGGG...Obsidian let it be known that I won't be burned by your
    >>>company again.
    >>
    >>LOL, 'burned'? The game plays fine as it is unless you have an ATI card,
    >>and you really can't blame game devs for *your* choice in gfx boards.
    >

    > No it doesn't. Try influencing Atton so his alignment
    > changes. Save. Reload. His alignment goes back to neutral. It's a
    > bug preventing you from doing things which probably open up more
    > of the game content.
    >
    > This has been mentioned here before.
    >
    > You might now notice the bugs but they are in there.

    Wow, shadows...for once you and I agree!

    >> LOL, 'burned'? The game plays fine as it is unless you have an ATI card,
    >> and you really can't blame game devs for *your* choice in gfx boards.

    Hm. I didn't see "Nvidia Card only" on the box. Class action lawsuit, anyone?

    "LOL".

    C//

    "Darth Frog" <sherlog@t-online.de> wrote in message
    > James Garvin in <k56dnSgcfJec0dHfRVn-iQ@comcast.com>:
    >
    > LOL, 'burned'? The game plays fine as it is unless you have an ATI card,
    > and you really can't blame game devs for *your* choice in gfx boards.

    What's the problem with KOTOR2 and ATI video cards? Just asking since the
    game seems to run fine for me.

    On Thu, 31 Mar 2005 21:57:01 +0200, Darth Frog <sherlog@t-online.de> wrote:

    >James Garvin in <k56dnSgcfJec0dHfRVn-iQ@comcast.com>:
    >
    >> Where is the KOTOR 2 patch?
    >
    >Official word is that the patch was handed to LucasArts for QA last week.
    >
    >> AARRRRGGGG...Obsidian let it be known that I won't be burned by your
    >> company again.
    >
    >LOL, 'burned'? The game plays fine as it is unless you have an ATI card,
    >and you really can't blame game devs for *your* choice in gfx boards.

    Well you can for writing them poorly I guess. Or not consulting with ATI to
    resolve an issue.

    James Garvin <jgarvin2004@comcast.net> once tried to test me with:

    > Where is the KOTOR 2 patch?

    These aren't the patches you're looking for. You can go about your
    business. Move along. Move along.

    Once a Gamer, Always a Gamer.
  10. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    Courageous wrote:
    >>>LOL, 'burned'? The game plays fine as it is unless you have an ATI card,
    >>>and you really can't blame game devs for *your* choice in gfx boards.
    >

    > Hm. I didn't see "Nvidia Card only" on the box. Class action lawsuit, anyone?
    >
    > "LOL".
    >
    > C//

    If the problem is with ATI not implementing functionality required by
    DirectX properly, then you can't blame the software developer.

    That said, I'm about 90% of the way through, and I've only encountered
    one major bug with my Radeon 9500 - the first time I entered the ship
    docking with Peragus, the screen went completely black, even though the
    cut scene audio continued and the game was still working. After I
    reloaded back to the autosave, everything worked normally and has ever
    since.
  11. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    Thusly "Paul Fedorenko" <pfedorenko@bite-me.look.ca> Spake Unto All:

    >What's the problem with KOTOR2 and ATI video cards? Just asking since the
    >game seems to run fine for me.

    More than likely that ATI does not have a fully functioning OpenGL
    API. Never have, probably never will.

    Most, if not all, OpenGL games have issues with ATI cards. Yes, the
    developers can work around missing/buggy calls, but it'd be better if
    ATI got their act together and finally wrote functioning drivers.

    They work great for Direct3D games, though.

    --
    Fun Fact of the Day: In exit polls at the election 2004 the percentage of American
    voters citing moral and ethical values as their prime concern was 22 percent,

    Knight37 wrote:

    > James Garvin <jgarvin2004@comcast.net> once tried to test me with:
    >

    >>Where is the KOTOR 2 patch?
    >

    > These aren't the patches you're looking for. You can go about your
    > business. Move along. Move along.

    Man it is so frustrating to buy a game using the same engine, the same
    textures, the same skins, the same EVERYTHING but plot...and it is
    buggier than the original...

    I have to wonder how Obsidian managed to do that.
  13. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    moral: Buy Nvidia cards. They may or may not be faster than their ATI
    counterpart... but at least they work in all games without having to
    wait for a patch
  14. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    "Troll" <newstroll@shaw.ca> wrote in message

    >> Hm. I didn't see "Nvidia Card only" on the box. Class action lawsuit,
    >> anyone?
    >>
    >> "LOL".
    >>
    >> C//
    >>

    > If the problem is with ATI not implementing functionality required by
    > DirectX properly, then you can't blame the software developer.

    KOTOR is OpenGL. ATI's DX is fine.

    > That said, I'm about 90% of the way through, and I've only encountered one
    > major bug with my Radeon 9500 - the first time I entered the ship docking
    > with Peragus, the screen went completely black, even though the cut scene
    > audio continued and the game was still working. After I reloaded back to
    > the autosave, everything worked normally and has ever since.

    --
    Derek
  15. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    shadows in <slrnd4onaq.1775.shadows@helena.whitefang.com>:

    > On 2005-03-31, Darth Frog <sherlog@t-online.de> wrote:
    > > LOL, 'burned'? The game plays fine as it is unless you have an ATI card
    > No it doesn't. Try influencing Atton so his alignment
    > changes. Save. Reload. His alignment goes back to neutral.

    Never noticed that. I tried to get Bao-Dur, Visas, Disciple and Handmaiden
    to LS mastery during my first two games but their alignment stayed put once
    it reached the point just below the top. So I watched their alignment bars
    closely and I sure would have noticed something like you described. Never
    bothered with Atton and Mira once I had heard their stories, because I
    didn't like them much.

    Of course, later I learned that only Consulars (and perhaps some
    Consular-style prestige classes) are supposed to be able to lead their
    sidekicks to alignment mastery, with some class-specific feat or other. You
    can call that a design bug if you will and I'd agree, but Bioware used a
    similar approach for selling the Scout/Sentinel classes (via HK-47) in the
    original game. <shrug>

    > It's a bug preventing you from doing things which probably open up more
    > of the game content.

    Sidekick alignment does not change anything besides appearance, apart from
    mastery boni. This could have been done better, and it leads to incongruous
    situations like (almost) light side master Visas wanting to commit random
    gratuitous mass murder of civilians and acting peeved if you forbid this.

    So in this particular case this particular bug seems to be of little
    consequence. There are some more bugs, some inherited from the original
    game, some new. Some can be rather annoying for a moment, like when you
    touch a door while stealthed and the game cancels stealth because the door
    has a 'helpful' popup message attached to it (old bug from KotOR).

    So the game certainly isn't bugfree and it certainly isn't as polished as
    it could have been. But would you call it a bugfest?
  16. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    On 2005-04-01, Darth Frog <sherlog@t-online.de> wrote:
    > shadows in <slrnd4onaq.1775.shadows@helena.whitefang.com>:
    >
    >> On 2005-03-31, Darth Frog <sherlog@t-online.de> wrote:
    >> > LOL, 'burned'? The game plays fine as it is unless you have an ATI card
    >> No it doesn't. Try influencing Atton so his alignment
    >> changes. Save. Reload. His alignment goes back to neutral.
    >
    > Never noticed that. I tried to get Bao-Dur, Visas, Disciple and Handmaiden
    > to LS mastery during my first two games but their alignment stayed put once
    > it reached the point just below the top. So I watched their alignment bars
    > closely and I sure would have noticed something like you described. Never
    > bothered with Atton and Mira once I had heard their stories, because I
    > didn't like them much.

    It's a real bug. Atton will have his alignment reset with any
    reloads. I didn't care at first either but it bugs me now and I
    want the patch to fix the issue before playing again.

    > Of course, later I learned that only Consulars (and perhaps some
    > Consular-style prestige classes) are supposed to be able to lead their
    > sidekicks to alignment mastery, with some class-specific feat or other. You
    > can call that a design bug if you will and I'd agree, but Bioware used a
    > similar approach for selling the Scout/Sentinel classes (via HK-47) in the
    > original game. <shrug>

    Where does it say you need a specific prestige class? In the
    manual? I'll need to check it out when I get home.

    > So the game certainly isn't bugfree and it certainly isn't as polished as
    > it could have been. But would you call it a bugfest?

    No but there are a handful of bugs which are glaring enough to
    ruin the game for me in some ways. One other bug is in Nar Shadaa
    with the quests affecting the refugees. Everything felt broken
    whichever way I went about doing it.
  17. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    "Paul Fedorenko" <pfedorenko@bite-me.look.ca> writes:

    > What's the problem with KOTOR2 and ATI video cards? Just asking since the
    > game seems to run fine for me.

    There's very bad slowdown in some places. Nar Shaddaa is where I first
    noticed it, in the main area near a parked airspeeder. The airspeeder
    won't be parked there when you get to Nar Shaddaa, though, and you
    don't really have to walk near it.

    This slowdown thing happens on Dantooine as well. It helped to turn
    off frame buffer effects in the video settings. Apparently it's good
    to have somewhat oldish Catalyst drivers, I have 4.9 or 4.10 with my
    9600.
  18. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    <wolfing1@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > moral: Buy Nvidia cards. They may or may not be faster than their ATI
    > counterpart... but at least they work in all games without having to
    > wait for a patch

    I didn't need a patch for my X800 - though I did have to roll back the
    driver.

    --
    Derek
  19. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    On 2005-04-01, Derek Baker <me@xyzderekbaker.eclipse.co.uk> wrote:
    ><wolfing1@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >> moral: Buy Nvidia cards. They may or may not be faster than their ATI
    >> counterpart... but at least they work in all games without having to
    >> wait for a patch
    >>

    > I didn't need a patch for my X800 - though I did have to roll back the
    > driver.

    I think the average PC gamer would be frustrated at having to
    roll back drivers. This certainly fixed the issue for you but its
    a major inconvenience when you have two games that work with two
    driver revisions.

    I certainly wouldn't put up with it which is why I'm willing to
    pay 200-300% more for an Nvidia card.
  20. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    Knight37 typed:
    > These aren't the patches you're looking for. You can
    > go about your business. Move along. Move along.

    The (Ge)Force ... can have a strong influence on the weak
    minded. ;) ;P

    (Or so I've been told ;>)

    --
    };> Matt v3.2 <:{
    Professional Devil

    Thusly "mec'devil" <delusions@fools.paradise.net.nz> Spake Unto All:

    >Knight37 typed:
    >> These aren't the patches you're looking for. You can
    >> go about your business. Move along. Move along.
    >
    >The (Ge)Force ... can have a strong influence on the weak
    >minded. ;) ;P

    The Force can have a strong influence on the weak minded.

    >(Or so I've been told ;>)

    Or so I've been told.

    --
    Fun Fact of the Day: In exit polls at the election 2004 the percentage of American
    voters citing moral and ethical values as their prime concern was 22 percent,
    continuing a trend of *decreasing* perceived importance of morals: In the 2000
    election 35 percent cited morals & ethical values as their prime concern, and in
    1996 a whopping 40%, almost twice as many as in 2004.
    (Bet you hadn't gotten that impression from the press, had you?)
  22. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    "Derek Baker" <me@xyzderekbaker.eclipse.co.uk> wrote in message

    > I didn't need a patch for my X800 - though I did have to roll back the
    > driver.

    Haven't noticed any graphics glitches or slowdowns with my Radeon 9000
    either, which is why I posted asking about what sorts of problems to look
    for. My drivers are a revision or two behind the most recent.
  23. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    wrote:

    >LOL, 'burned'? The game plays fine as it is unless you have an ATI card,
    >and you really can't blame game devs for *your* choice in gfx boards.

    There are only two graphics cards gamers buy, ATI or Nvidia. If they
    can't make their game work on just those two cards then they are
    dumbasses.
  24. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    On Fri, 01 Apr 2005 06:19:49 GMT, Troll <newstroll@shaw.ca> wrote:

    >If the problem is with ATI not implementing functionality required by
    >DirectX properly, then you can't blame the software developer.

    ATI does comply with the Directx API. In fact, it's Nvidia that
    doesn't.
  25. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    "Paul Fedorenko" <pfedorenko@bite-me.look.ca> wrote in message

    > "Derek Baker" <me@xyzderekbaker.eclipse.co.uk> wrote in message
    >
    >> I didn't need a patch for my X800 - though I did have to roll back the
    >> driver.
    >
    > Haven't noticed any graphics glitches or slowdowns with my Radeon 9000
    > either, which is why I posted asking about what sorts of problems to look
    > for. My drivers are a revision or two behind the most recent.

    Bad stuttering on Dantooine. I was running Cat 5.2.

    Derek
  26. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    Derek Baker wrote:
    > "Troll" <newstroll@shaw.ca> wrote in message

    >>>Hm. I didn't see "Nvidia Card only" on the box. Class action lawsuit,
    >>>anyone?
    >>>
    >>>"LOL".
    >>>
    >>>C//
    >>>

    >>If the problem is with ATI not implementing functionality required by
    >>DirectX properly, then you can't blame the software developer.
    >

    > KOTOR is OpenGL. ATI's DX is fine.

    Huh, so it is. I hadn't really paid attention - I just assumed that
    since KotOR II was an X-Box port, it would be written in Microsoftese.
  27. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    Thusly Redmond du Barrymond <redmond@STUFFIT.invalid> Spake Unto All:

    >>If the problem is with ATI not implementing functionality required by
    >>DirectX properly, then you can't blame the software developer.
    >
    >ATI does comply with the Directx API. In fact, it's Nvidia that
    >doesn't.

    ?
    Anyway, KOTOR is OpenGL, not DirectX.

    --
    Fun Fact of the Day: In exit polls at the election 2004 the percentage of American
    voters citing moral and ethical values as their prime concern was 22 percent,
    continuing a trend of *decreasing* perceived importance of morals: In the 2000
    election 35 percent cited morals & ethical values as their prime concern, and in
    1996 a whopping 40%, almost twice as many as in 2004.
    (Bet you hadn't gotten that impression from the press, had you?)
  28. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    >Anyway, KOTOR is OpenGL, not DirectX.

    That's a stupid move these days.

    C//
  29. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    Courageous wrote:

    >>Anyway, KOTOR is OpenGL, not DirectX.
    >

    > That's a stupid move these days.

    Boy...100% agree here. I would say OpenGL has lived its life and it is
    time to move on...
  30. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    On 2005-04-03, Courageous <dontwant@spam.com> wrote:

    >>Anyway, KOTOR is OpenGL, not DirectX.
    >
    > That's a stupid move these days.

    If you've programmed with either you'd know OpenGL is a far
    superior API. It's a lot nicer to work with.
  31. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    On 2005-04-03, Troll <newstroll@shaw.ca> wrote:

    > Huh, so it is. I hadn't really paid attention - I just assumed that
    > since KotOR II was an X-Box port, it would be written in Microsoftese.

    AFAIK Xbox uses two Nvidia GPUs.
  32. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    shadows wrote:

    > On 2005-04-03, Courageous <dontwant@spam.com> wrote:
    >
    >>>Anyway, KOTOR is OpenGL, not DirectX.
    >>
    >>That's a stupid move these days.
    >

    > If you've programmed with either you'd know OpenGL is a far
    > superior API. It's a lot nicer to work with.

    I tend to like directx as a lot of the tools are "plugged" right into
    the .Net framework.
  33. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    "shadows" <shadows@whitefang.com> wrote in message
    > On 2005-04-03, Troll <newstroll@shaw.ca> wrote:
    >
    >> Huh, so it is. I hadn't really paid attention - I just assumed that
    >> since KotOR II was an X-Box port, it would be written in Microsoftese.
    >
    > AFAIK Xbox uses two Nvidia GPUs.

    One GPU. I think there's another Nvidia chip for sound and i/o, though I
    can't find a link at the moment.

    --
    Derek
  34. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    Found one: http://hardware.gamespot.com/Microsoft-Xbox-9399-S-4-4

    --
    Derek
  35. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    On 2005-04-04, Mean_Chlorine <mike_noren2002@NOSPAMyahoo.co.uk> wrote:

    > The real interesting bit will be when xbox2 is released. It's powerpc
    > based, like the macs, so I wonder what API devs will use for it.

    Probably just DirectX and OpenGL like it is now. If you want to
    you can roll your own 3D API that talks to the Xbox hardware but
    that's usually just reinventing the wheel.

    The underlining processor shouldn't affect the development API at
    all. That's the point of having a high level development API.
  36. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    shadows wrote:

    > The underlining processor shouldn't affect the development API at
    > all. That's the point of having a high level development API.

    Provided Microsoft develops a DirectX API for PowerPC, that is. Have
    they?
  37. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    mike_noren2002@yahoo.co.uk wrote:

    > shadows wrote:
    >

    >>The underlining processor shouldn't affect the development API at
    >>all. That's the point of having a high level development API.
    >

    > Provided Microsoft develops a DirectX API for PowerPC, that is. Have
    > they?

    Perhaps they are funding OpenGL to grow and become the product it should
    be? That would be nice...then the games could work on any platform
    (XBox2, Mac, Windows, Linux)...
  38. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    On 2005-04-04, mike_noren2002@yahoo.co.uk <mike_noren2002@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
    > shadows wrote:
    >
    >> The underlining processor shouldn't affect the development API at
    >> all. That's the point of having a high level development API.
    >
    > Provided Microsoft develops a DirectX API for PowerPC, that is. Have
    > they?

    Of course they will. Too many game programmers know DX and pay
    Microsoft to ship them materials so they can stay current with
    DX developments. It's a little lame to do a 180 degree turn.

    You're assuming DX is all written in assembly language. Most of
    it is probably just C code that wraps drivers and does a little
    work in between.
  39. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    shadows <shadows@whitefang.com> once tried to test me with:

    > The underlining processor shouldn't affect the development API at
    > all. That's the point of having a high level development API.

    I agree with the "shouldn't" but that doesn't make it a "doesn't".

    Unfortunately different implementations of the API on different platforms
    can make a program behave very differently using essentially the same code.
    So programmers have to "tweak" their game for the platform, even if it uses
    the same API as on the original platform the game was developed under.

    Once a Gamer, Always a Gamer.
  40. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    On 2005-04-04, Knight37 <knight37m@email.com> wrote:

    > Unfortunately different implementations of the API on different platforms
    > can make a program behave very differently using essentially the same code.
    > So programmers have to "tweak" their game for the platform, even if it uses
    > the same API as on the original platform the game was developed under.

    Rarely. I remember "Uplink" was done with OpenGL. The game looked
    the same under Windows and Linux. The only difference is Linux
    has a different scheduling algorithm. The result was some erratic
    behaviour in the Linux version unless you dropped priority for
    the process running X.

    In either case though OpenGL worked as expected for graphics.

    We've had "write once, build everywhere" for a very long time
    now. The problem is 95% of the "programmers" out there don't
    understand what's safe and what isn't.
  41. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    >If you've programmed with either you'd know OpenGL is a far
    >superior API. It's a lot nicer to work with.

    I'm aware. One's appreciation of a cleaner API isn't as important
    as other factors these days, though. And DirectX isn't the abortion
    it used to be.

    C//
  42. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    >Perhaps they (MS) are funding OpenGL to grow and become the product it should
    >be? That would be nice...then the games could work on any platform
    >(XBox2, Mac, Windows, Linux)...

    *gawk*

    Did you post this on 1 April?

    C//