V551 Battery life question(s)

Last response: in Brands
August 8, 2005 11:44:38 AM

I just got my Cingular V551, Friday night. I charged it overnight, but
because I wasn't yet able to transfer any of my phonebook from my ATT V180,
didn't activate it till late Saturday afternoon. In the meantime, I bought
the download version of MPT & a USB bluetooth adaptor. As I expected,
turning on bluetooth lessened battery life, but the Targus branded Widcomm
bluetooth adaptor wouldn't recognize the V551. So, I turned off the
bluetooth, recharged the phone & manually entered 80 entries. :-) That
pretty well killed the battery somewhere around #72 -- I added the rest
with the charger attached.

Is data entry that draining on a battery that this should kill it? Or might
I have a defective battery? I probably had 30 minutes of talk time since
the second charge. Are there other settings I may not be thinking of that
would improve battery life?

Bill K
August 8, 2005 11:44:39 AM

Bill Kraski wrote:
> I just got my Cingular V551, Friday night. I charged it overnight, but
> because I wasn't yet able to transfer any of my phonebook from my ATT V180,
> didn't activate it till late Saturday afternoon. In the meantime, I bought
> the download version of MPT & a USB bluetooth adaptor. As I expected,
> turning on bluetooth lessened battery life, but the Targus branded Widcomm
> bluetooth adaptor wouldn't recognize the V551. So, I turned off the
> bluetooth, recharged the phone & manually entered 80 entries. :-) That
> pretty well killed the battery somewhere around #72 -- I added the rest
> with the charger attached.
>
> Is data entry that draining on a battery that this should kill it? Or might
> I have a defective battery? I probably had 30 minutes of talk time since
> the second charge. Are there other settings I may not be thinking of that
> would improve battery life?
>
> Bill K

Data entry itself, not likely, except that the display is on for the
duration which I think is significant - and there are some settings that
change the display's 'lag' time & brightness for other times as well.
I've always thought new batteries like to be cycled a time or two before
nirvana kicks in. BT is an issue, but I think BT turns down the heat
after a few moments of non-use. The ringer choice/volume has to weigh
in, w/ or w/o vibration alert.

I've been well satisfied with my two 551s.

--
jer
email reply - I am not a 'ten'

Jer wrote:

> Data entry itself, not likely, except that the display is on for the
> duration which I think is significant - and there are some settings that
> change the display's 'lag' time & brightness for other times as well.

OK. I've turned down brightness a notch (to 2, out of 5).

> I've always thought new batteries like to be cycled a time or two before
> nirvana kicks in. BT is an issue, but I think BT turns down the heat
> after a few moments of non-use. The ringer choice/volume has to weigh
> in, w/ or w/o vibration alert.

I'll try that at 5, instead of 7.

> I've been well satisfied with my two 551s.

If you're right about the initial battery breakin period, I think I will be,
too.

Thanks for the input.

Bill K
August 8, 2005 8:23:50 PM

[POSTED TO alt.cellular.motorola - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

In <T1KJe.9$0d.8@trnddc07> on Mon, 08 Aug 2005 14:32:19 GMT, Bill Kraski
<Bill.Kraski.NoSpam@verizon.invalid> wrote:

>Jer wrote:
>
>> Data entry itself, not likely, except that the display is on for the
>> duration which I think is significant - and there are some settings that
>> change the display's 'lag' time & brightness for other times as well.
>
>OK. I've turned down brightness a notch (to 2, out of 5).

The bright color display is indeed a big consumer of battery power, which is
why continuous data entry (which keeps the display on) can rapidly deplete the
battery. In normal use, the display shuts off fairly quickly.

>> I've always thought new batteries like to be cycled a time or two before
>> nirvana kicks in. BT is an issue, but I think BT turns down the heat
>> after a few moments of non-use. The ringer choice/volume has to weigh
>> in, w/ or w/o vibration alert.
>
>I'll try that at 5, instead of 7.
>
>> I've been well satisfied with my two 551s.
>
>If you're right about the initial battery breakin period, I think I will be,
>too.

Unfortunately, the bright color display, along with mediocre power management,
results in relatively short battery life, one of the few drawbacks to the V551
-- for example, real world battery life of the V551 is only about half that of
the Sony Ericsson Z600 (which uses less bright, lower power display
technology) -- but if you recharge the V551 each night, that probably won't be
a significant issue.

August 9, 2005 1:25:05 AM

Bill Kraski <Bill.Kraski.NoSpam@verizon.invalid> wrote:
> the download version of MPT & a USB bluetooth adaptor. As I expected,
> turning on bluetooth lessened battery life, but the Targus branded Widcomm
> bluetooth adaptor wouldn't recognize the V551.

I have a DLink-branded Widcom. Did you follow the steps for removing the
WinXP-SP2 bluetooth drivers? How many Bluetooth icons do you have in your
system tray? Do you have "Dial Up Networking" enabled? The MPT talks to
the phone on a comm port that isn't there if you don't have DUN.
Does the V551 show up at all in the "My Bluetooth Places"?

--
---
August 9, 2005 10:13:38 PM

dold@XReXXV551X.usenet.us.com wrote:

> I have a DLink-branded Widcom. Did you follow the steps for removing the
> WinXP-SP2 bluetooth drivers? How many Bluetooth icons do you have in your
> system tray? Do you have "Dial Up Networking" enabled? The MPT talks to
> the phone on a comm port that isn't there if you don't have DUN.
> Does the V551 show up at all in the "My Bluetooth Places"?

I originally followed the Targus instructions. I've now followed yours &
D-Link's & all is well. The DUN stuff was already there for the winmodem
that came on the machine, so the v551 set up pretty much automatically.
Now to get my Palm set up right (which also has bluetooth).

A couple of security questions. The Targus is only supposed to have a range
of 33 feet, which means only on the property (including the three other
apartments in my duplex). Since I know & trust the people in the other
apartments, is it safer & operationally better to just include the phone &
the palm or am I pretty safe in setting the pc to be discoverable by
anything? And am I better off removing the bluetooth dongle when I'm not
using it?

Bill K
Anonymous
August 9, 2005 10:26:23 PM

Bill Kraski <Bill.Kraski.NoSpam@verizon.invalid> wrote:

> A couple of security questions. The Targus is only supposed to have a range
> of 33 feet, which means only on the property (including the three other
> apartments in my duplex). Since I know & trust the people in the other

In the Bluetooth Advanced Configuration, on the Accessibility tab, uncheck
"Let other devices...". You want to drive the bluetooth connection from
your computer, and not let any devices find you. On the "discovery tab,
uncheck that box as well. You'll go looking when you are ready to go
looking.

In the bluetooth neighborhood, you have associated a private pairing with
the phone. It won't associate with a new device unless you pair it.

--
---