Remote viewing over a home network

bnot

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2007
My neighbours are stealing my WIFI, hacking in to my PC and also throwing empty beer cans and used condoms in my garden, i have changed my password a few times but they keep getting in.

im looking for a way that i can remote into there omputers and teach them a lesson

is this possible?

Im running windows 7 and by their computers names i think there running a windows xp and 7

can anyone help me?!?!

P.s im not looking for anything malicious just to change there backgrounds or a message warning them

tons of things you could do to them if they are on your network

but not going to go down that road

why not concentrate on why they are able to get into your network

what security is on your wireless network?

Hello,

That's quite disgusting of your "neighbor".

However you should be using WPA2 for your wireless connection with at least a 12character password with numbers and letters.

By the way - there are some laws in certain parts of the country where stealing a wifi connection is illegal. You might want to look into this.

First off if they are getting into your secured WIFI then this is a federal offense. Call the FBI and have them come visit them. You could also call your local police.

Do not do anything back to them because then you can also get in trouble.

i would assume they are not in the usa by the spelling of neighbour--neighbor in the usa

if you are in the uk its against the Computer Misuse Act to do what they are doing

though very rare to see anyone in the news being prosecuted for it

djscribbles

Honorable
Apr 6, 2012
First, set your wifi up with WPA2 as Chainzsaw said, if it's configured properly, it should be difficult for them to get in.
http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9002706/Tutorial_How_to_set_up_WPA2_on_your_wireless_network_

Second, change the name of your network (if it's linksys, change it to BotNet82 or something technical sounding) this should make just about anyone semi-tech-affluent think twice about connecting. (Don't switch to non-broadcast mode, as if they are actually cracking your passwords, they maybe able to do more malicious things if you are connecting to a fixed network name). Any network named linksys/dlink/etc is just asking for trouble, simply changing the name makes you less of a target.

Lastly, set up a Wifi address whitelist. It will be kinda technical to do, but you can basically choose which computers are allowed to be on your wifi by their mac address, which is a unique hardware ID given to your wifi card. If you set it up so only your computers can access it, then they will never be able to access it because they are not on the list (this is called a whitelist) but it makes adding new devices (such as a friends laptop) a pain. Alternatively, you can setup a blacklist, and choose to block their computers MAC addresses, however it is possible to get around this.

If you do all of these, things, you can easily keep them out of your network. Keeping their trash out of your yard is another problem entirely though :). I wouldn't suggest retaliating though, since you may escalate the situation. (or get in legal trouble)

If you post what kind of router you have, I can try to find you a good guide for setting up a white/black list.

djscribbles

Honorable
Apr 6, 2012
Also, disable wifi logins on the router, so that they cannot access your routers setup menu via wifi, you'll have to login from a wired connection; but if they are on your network, they can really screw with your router if they want to.

You can also see what mac addresses have been accessing your wifi, to confirm if or not they are accessing it.

before changing anything in your router

you MUST connect to the router with an ethernet cable and turn off wireless--any changes you make wirelessly they

could also see them

@ djscribbles

mac address filtering is only good against someone who doesnt know what they are doing

spoofing mac addresses is simple--if they got the password in the beginning they have at least a basic understanding

the best security is to run ethernet cables and turn off wireless altogether

even if you manage to totally secure your wireless network if they know what they are doing they could just turn to

dos attacking you wirelessly to prevent you from using your internet out of spite

edit--and they could have cleared the router log to prevent checking access records

djscribbles

Honorable
Apr 6, 2012
@mcnumpty

Simply going through some basic measures. (though I've never had cause to go far beyond the basics for wifi security, as I live in a pretty rural area, with not many technical types nearby).
What other steps could be taken without completely shutting down wifi?

One possible solution would be to simply move the router to the other end of your house, (not sure if you can turn down signal power, but do that too if you can) so that they get weak/no signal from their house. (or put the router in a metal box, remove antenna's etc, try to make it not worth their trouble to connect).

If you really want to be a pest, you can make the network more trouble than it's worth, by turning it off periodically while they are connected, so they can never get anything done. Or you could simply start disabling it except when you need wireless (a week or two of that and they will probably get sick of trying anyway).

Periodically changing the WPA password at the same time would add another dose of spite :)

edit: Nice article on the subject of WPA2 and staying secure: http://netsecurity.about.com/od/secureyourwifinetwork/a/WPA2-Crack.htm states that a 30+ character WPA key becomes impractical to crack, so simply using a long random password with a long unique SSID should be able to discourage them without toying around :)

GOS

Honorable
Feb 27, 2013
I think that guy, only needs to get in their network, using that story as an excuse, in order to collect details of how to do that.