mmorpg newbie -- new laptop no 3d accelerator -- any game ..

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.games.development.design (More info?)

I have 512megs or RAM and a 2.2ghz processor but a shared memory vid
card. What is the biggest and best game I can play with these
restrictions?

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.games.development.design (More info?)

In article <1112484703.667874.212310@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com>,
walkingbird@insightbb.com wrote:

> I have 512megs or RAM and a 2.2ghz processor but a shared memory vid
> card. What is the biggest and best game I can play with these
> restrictions?

<http://www.ClanLord.com>

....But they're currently in the middle of their April-fool's wackiness
(running a version of the world from 1997), so maybe hold off until
Sunday night ;)

--
Please take off your shoes before arriving at my in-box.
I will not, no matter how "good" the deal, patronise any business which sends

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.games.development.design (More info?)

walkingbird@insightbb.com once tried to test me with:

> I have 512megs or RAM and a 2.2ghz processor but a shared memory vid
> card. What is the biggest and best game I can play with these
> restrictions?

Ultima ONline? Maybe. You're pretty much screwed, almost all of them
require at least a GeForce 2 or better type card. The thing is, and this is
the killer, even the older games like Everquest require it, because they
constantly update the game and keep it updated, and so while EQ ran good on
an original Geforce 256 back in the day, it won't anymore.

Once a Gamer, Always a Gamer.

Knight37 wrote:
> Ultima ONline? Maybe. You're pretty much screwed, almost all of them
> require at least a GeForce 2 or better type card.

Note that 'a shared memory vid card' may well be a Geforce 2 or better.
Without knowing what kind of card it is, it's hard to tell what games
will run on it.

Mark

Knight37 <knight37m@email.com> writes:

> Ultima ONline? Maybe. You're pretty much screwed, almost all of them
> require at least a GeForce 2 or better type card. The thing is, and
> this is the killer, even the older games like Everquest require it,
> because they constantly update the game and keep it updated, and so
> while EQ ran good on an original Geforce 256 back in the day, it
> won't anymore.

Until they come out with the improved graphics engine, Asheron's Call
1 should run well enough.