Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Same router but drastically different speed

Last response: in Networking
February 12, 2013 3:05:52 AM

Hi,
I have two PCs at home sharing the same router but both of them received drastically different speed.
I'm currently on my ISP 200mbps fiber optics plans.
One pc is receiving 190+mbps while the other receives only 90mbps.
I've tested the speed while only connecting one pc but there wasnt any difference.
Ive called the ISP technician and he told me it wasnt the internet issue and had something to do with my PC and its beyond his jobscope. (which annoys me really).

Hope someone here can help me resolve my issue.
Thanks!

Best solution

February 12, 2013 12:08:26 PM

The ethernet adapter can make a difference as well as the version of the network driver it's using. Other components in the PC can make a huge difference also. I have a gigabit LAN at home. Backups from one PC to the other used to take 5 hours or so. I replaced the drive that it backs up to and the backup time dropped to one hour. This is without changing LAN adapters or their drivers. Both drives were in good working order. The only difference is the slower drive was 5 years old. Basically new systems have faster buses, faster drives, and faster ram.

For a simple test, have you tried switching the ports the PC's are connected to at the router? This will at least tell you if both router ports are functioning properly.
February 13, 2013 10:52:48 AM

Hawkeye22 said:
The ethernet adapter can make a difference as well as the version of the network driver it's using. Other components in the PC can make a huge difference also. I have a gigabit LAN at home. Backups from one PC to the other used to take 5 hours or so. I replaced the drive that it backs up to and the backup time dropped to one hour. This is without changing LAN adapters or their drivers. Both drives were in good working order. The only difference is the slower drive was 5 years old. Basically new systems have faster buses, faster drives, and faster ram.

For a simple test, have you tried switching the ports the PC's are connected to at the router? This will at least tell you if both router ports are functioning properly.

Yes i did. I switched the ports around, switched the cables around too.
m
l
Related resources
February 13, 2013 10:58:47 AM

My problem is solved, upon checking the properties of my network card. the link speed is capped at 100mbps. i switched it to auto and it works now. thanks!
m
l
February 13, 2013 11:09:36 AM

That would definately do it. Glad you found the problem.
m
l
February 13, 2013 11:51:12 AM

Best answer selected by wraze.
m
l
!