DVD and CDRW master or slave

hashashin106

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2003
HI all , well i am very close to finishing my first computer , dvd/cdrom is set as master and cdrw as slave and the hd was set up by itself as primary in 2nd ide slot, i had some problems first i want the dvd to work as a regular cd and dvd player i would like to have my cdrw to work as a burner for copies either from hd or cd's ,now last night the dvd would not turn on and the cdrw would just keep going i couldn't open either bay. also when i put a graphics card in my monitor would not show any thing black screen ,what am i doing wrong any help would be great.

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
It shouldnt really matter which is master or slave, just ensure that they are jumpered properly.
as other wierd things are happening one would assume that something else is the cauze.
A few more system details would be helpful!
e.g. cpu, cooling, mobo, psu etcetcetc

<b>My Computer is so powerful Sauron Desires it and mortal men Covet it, <i>My Precioussssssss</i></b>

elzt

Distinguished
May 10, 2002
Black screen could mean bad video cable or connection. It could also mean bad graphics card. Check whether your graphics card is working. After running for a few minutes, it should be warm when touched. Also did your pc give any beep code during power up?

Civilized

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2001
HI all , well i am very close to finishing my first computer , dvd/cdrom is set as master and cdrw as slave and the hd was set up by itself as primary in 2nd ide slot, i had some problems first i want the dvd to work as a regular cd and dvd player i would like to have my cdrw to work as a burner for copies either from hd or cd's ,now last night the dvd would not turn on and the cdrw would just keep going i couldn't open either bay. also when i put a graphics card in my monitor would not show any thing black screen ,what am i doing wrong any help would be great.

First of all why would you set up your harddrive off of the secondary IDE slot?...I usually put my main drive and other drives off of the Primary ide slot. I have had some problems in the past setting the cdrw as slave....for what reason im not sure but try this configuration..

-Put your harddrive on the primary slot and set as master or cable select it really doesnt matter...
-Put your cd writer as master on the secondary ide
-Put your dvd on primary slave or cable select

This would seperate the cdwriter and the dvd onto two seperate channels which will improve performance when copying cd to cd....

Make sure you have the jumpers set right on the back of all of your drives. Cable select is usually what I use. Your video problem sounds a little weird...what video card are you using?...list the rest of your system specfications please..

After you figure out your video problem and actually get a workable system screen and windows installed make sure you have the latest and greatest chipset drivers installed for your motherboard (via 4in1 drivers or intels inf & application accelarator)