Question for Tomshardware reviewers.

kopykat

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2004
Although nowadays Lcd screens have become cheaper and more popular they are still not comparable to some crt advantages such as response times/refresh rate, and ofcourse most of all PRICE! My question is why don't you ever review any CRT monitors anymore as if they dont exsist anymore and as if everyone can afford an Lcd screen. Im pretty sure the magority of people still own a CRT rather than a more desirable lcd screen, and when looking for a new CRT, tomshardware unfortunatly doesnt come to aid in anyway. This is my personal opinion as someone who visits your site at least once a day and is just yearning for some reviews on CRTs (They still produce them). Thank you.

p05esto

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2001
They are probably doing articles on what the marority of people are interested in....Personally I hope they do another LCD review instead of some CRT one. CRT technology is not changing anymore so you can go buy the best Sony monitor and be certain you've got the best. The price will also be pretty good too as people are phasing them out into extinction.

I'm sure if you search around there are still some reviews out there. You should post this in the CRT board as this one is just for LCD conversations...I'd think.

Sony & Samsung are my choices for good CRT monitors still being produced. The great thing is their all good and you can just pick a style you like with good stats (refresh, dot pitch, screen type etc) and you'll be happy.

<A HREF="http://www.proactivedesign.net/eric" target="_new">More than you want to know about me . . .</A>

alex74

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2004
There're plenty of CRT reviews out there. Toms is just preoccupied with LCD. CRT is not fasing out by the way. LCD is still a BIG disappointment for hardcore gamers. I already posted my impression about 12ms panels and they matched what Toms told in the last review. They're ghosting a lot. I don't know where those people who blamed me, looked at when teste them in UT. If you don't see ghosting in ut2k3 or 2k4, try UT99. Try to play Instagib even on Hydis. Good luck because you'll be fragged alot.
There're some good new CRT models out there. By the way, Samsung budget flat CRT's have geometry distortions and unfocused in corners. It's proved by reviews and my subjective observations. Not all Sony models are good either. I'm just behind Dell monitor 21'' made by Sony and I've never be able to calibrate colors correctly for photo work. I've heard same complaints from other people. Viewsonics G series from other hand, are not really flat, but the best at color rendition.

kopykat

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2004
Just like everything in life and computers in particular, there is always something comparable between different brands. Saying just get a new sony doesnt make any sense. I have read reviews on CRT models on other sites and on comparisons of so many CRTs you will see so many differences. As an owner of a new 21" Sony crt i can definetly tell you they arent the best ;). Anyway, back to my point, Tomshardware have infulenced alot of my computer buying decisions and I was just hoping they can be of some aid in this feild as well. Just now they reviewed 2 new lcds - 12ms - and once again we see that for even someone who doesnt consider himself a "hardcore" gamer these "top of the line" panels wont do, and only CRTs are the best for gamers at the moment until further notice. But till then shouldnt the gamers amongst us get some reviews on CRTs as well?