question regarding beyer dynamic condenser mic mc740

Last response: in Home Audio
January 10, 2005 3:38:36 PM

beyer dynamic condenser mic
i see one of these mc740's studio condenser mics on ebay,
does anyone have an opinion on them ?
how they sound ? what are they worth ?

thanks

jim
Anonymous
January 10, 2005 6:32:19 PM

jimsnith@yahoo.com wrote:
> beyer dynamic condenser mic
> i see one of these mc740's studio condenser mics on ebay,
> does anyone have an opinion on them ?
> how they sound ? what are they worth ?
>
> thanks
>
> jim

I've been through several. They have a similar design to the U-89
circuit. The BC european transistors have a bit of spit but that can be
fixed with Hitachi bipolar transistors with a fast fet transistor.
Silky smooth when fixed, a fave of the Classical crowd as it has a
fairly flat response.

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades
Anonymous
January 11, 2005 12:47:31 AM

<jimsnith@yahoo.comedy> wrote:

> beyer dynamic condenser mic

One or the other - it's a condensor mic.

> i see one of these mc740's studio condenser mics on ebay,
> does anyone have an opinion on them ?
> how they sound ? what are they worth ?

This is so that everybody who could bid against you will also know what
to pay? <g>

Google it; there has been some talk about it here in the past. I've
never used one.

http://www.google.com/advanced_group_search?hl=en

--
ha
Related resources

I don't like that the one for sale has been dropped... but, I do
remember about 10 years ago, they were starting to get rid of them at
the pro audio shops for around $900. I think they started off a few
hundred more than that.

Mike
Anonymous
January 11, 2005 6:49:36 AM

Hank,
BeyerDynamic is the brand name....

--
Martin Harrington
www.lendanear-sound.com
> <jimsnith@yahoo.comedy> wrote:
>
>> beyer dynamic condenser mic
>
> One or the other - it's a condensor mic.
>
>> i see one of these mc740's studio condenser mics on ebay,
>> does anyone have an opinion on them ?
>> how they sound ? what are they worth ?
>
> This is so that everybody who could bid against you will also know what
> to pay? <g>
>
> Google it; there has been some talk about it here in the past. I've
> never used one.
>
> http://www.google.com/advanced_group_search?hl=en
>
> --
> ha
Anonymous
January 11, 2005 7:58:44 AM

Martin Harrington wrote:

> Hank,
> BeyerDynamic is the brand name....

You're absolutely right; thank you, Martin. You'd think I'd realize that
given how many Beyer dynamic mics I have here. <g>

--
ha
Anonymous

On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 23:58:44 -0500, hank alrich wrote
(in article <1gq6y4d.1tiuyi1wwnsokN%walkinay@thegrid.net>):

> Martin Harrington wrote:
>
>> Hank,
>> BeyerDynamic is the brand name....
>
> You're absolutely right; thank you, Martin. You'd think I'd realize that
> given how many Beyer dynamic mics I have here. <g>
>
> --
> ha

And I thought you were just being opaquely oblique!

Ty

stuff are at www.tyford.com
Anonymous
January 11, 2005 4:52:19 PM

A few hundred? Try $2000 list price in the lastest Sweetwater catalog.
Their discounted price is $1750.
later,
January 11, 2005 7:27:11 PM

mwood5nospam@yahoo.com wrote:

> A few hundred? Try $2000 list price in the lastest Sweetwater catalog.
> Their discounted price is $1750.
> later,

Going pretty cheap used, I doubt they can get 1750 for it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3775...

They reduced the price. The previous action at 600 got no bids.

Here's one that sold for 495.00:
January 11, 2005 8:15:27 PM

The one for $495 is the one I bought. I think I'm going to dig it from
what little I've played with it.
Just because they don't sell for much used, doesn't make it a bad mic.
It might not be your cup of tea, but it's still a top notch mic from a
well respected manufacturer. For $500, I'd take another...not dropped.
;-)

later,
January 11, 2005 10:21:56 PM

mwood5nospam@yahoo.com wrote:

> The one for $495 is the one I bought. I think I'm going to dig it from
> what little I've played with it.
> Just because they don't sell for much used, doesn't make it a bad mic.
> It might not be your cup of tea, but it's still a top notch mic from a
> well respected manufacturer. For $500, I'd take another...not dropped.

Absolutely. And mid level used mics seem to have come down lately.
1000-1500 range seems closer to 500-1000 now. Times are tough.
Anonymous
January 12, 2005 12:06:34 AM

That's right. It was only a $1200 mic 10+ years ago and I recall them
going on sale for under $1000. It was a little more than the AKG
414B-ULS and about the same as the AKG 414 TL. Why is the price so high
now? Probably due to lack of sales. The AKG prices dropped and the
Beyer went up since then.

Mike

mwood5nospam@yahoo.com wrote:
> A few hundred? Try $2000 list price in the lastest Sweetwater
catalog.
> Their discounted price is $1750.
> later,
January 12, 2005 2:21:16 AM

Jim wrote:
> beyer dynamic condenser mic
> i see one of these mc740's studio condenser mics on ebay,
> does anyone have an opinion on them ?
> how they sound ? what are they worth ?

They're bright. A couple dB brighter than an AKG 414TL-II or a TLM-103. I
personally like mine, but it can occasionally be sibilant on some female
vocals. If you put it in figure-8, the rear side is not quite as bright but
does sound good, and I've used that to some advantage when doing male/female
voiceover duet using one mic.

If you look at the freq. response plots on the Beyer site, you'll see that
the high end does not really change depending on polar pattern, and that is
indeed the fact. Very consistent. I'd say use an MC740 anywhere you'd use
a 414EB or TL-II. The proximity effect on the MC740 seems to start at a
lower frequency, so it doesn't sound nearly as woofy up close as the TL-II
or TLM-103. That might be due to its "medium" 20mm diaphragm, as opposed to
the AKG's 25mm or the TLM's even larger diameter (27mm?). The MC740 also
seems to be a bit more forgiving off-axis as well, but I have not done
formal tests.

The output is not as hot or clean as the AKG or TLM-103, but on the other
hand noise has not been a problem, ever. The pad has occasionally come in
handy, as has the 80Hz and 160Hz bass cut filter. My favorite patterns on
it are hypercardioid and figure-8, but all sound good. If you need
versatility in a mic, I'd choose it over a TLM-103. For one thing, the
Beyer does filter out the extremely low freq. garbage such as street rumble
that the 103 and TL-II pass quite happily. With it's degree of
high-frequency boost, I'd think the MC740 would also be a very pleasing ORTF
pair. Startlingly clear. (Altho that might be too bright for Scott or Ty.)

I'd say in perfect condition, an MC740 should be worth about the same as a
414 TL-II in mint condition, about $750-$850. Make sure the grill fits
snugly, or you can get some nasty distortion buildup due to RF.
Incidentally, you'll need the stand clip; the Beyer shock mount is
worthless, flimsy, and will not hold in position. If you find another
secure shock mount that'll fit, please let me know. Fortunately, I've never
genuinely needed the shock mount and the clip has been just fine.

My suggestion is that you audition the new AKG 414XL-II before making a
purchase. It has the same pattern selection, more bass rolloff options, and
probably a somewhat tamer high end. But when you need the *brightest* mic
with no midrange schmutz, the 740 is hard to beat.

Jeff Jasper
Jeff Jasper Productions, West Funroe, La.
Anonymous
January 12, 2005 8:13:01 AM

10+ years ago, what were the other German mics selling for? A TLM103?
U87? Didn't the 103 have a list price of $749 and sell for about
$600-650? Now they have a list of $1300 or so and sell for a grand.
later,
January 12, 2005 12:03:03 PM

It is. My day job is working for a global software distributor. I
must get 1/2 my questions from our reps trying to sell to global
companies and they're all trying to purchase through the US right now.
Some of them can save nearly 50% if they could just do this vs.
purchasing in Europe and paying with Euros.
Crazy stuff....
later,
January 12, 2005 12:51:30 PM

<mwood5nospam@yahoo.com> wrote:
>10+ years ago, what were the other German mics selling for? A TLM103?
>U87? Didn't the 103 have a list price of $749 and sell for about
>$600-650? Now they have a list of $1300 or so and sell for a grand.

Yes, but compare what the Euro was worth when they first went over to it
with what it's worth today. Scary, isn't it?
--scott
January 12, 2005 5:21:51 PM

mwood wrote:

> 10+ years ago, what were the other German mics selling for? A TLM103?
> U87? Didn't the 103 have a list price of $749 and sell for about
> $600-650? Now they have a list of $1300 or so and sell for a grand.

This thing called the "exchange rate" will prove entertaining over the
next few years. Add to that stout increases in the cost of petroleum
products (ust about everything nowadays) and my money will be shrinking.

--
ha
Anonymous

On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 14:21:51 GMT, walkinay@thegrid.net (hank alrich)
wrote:

>mwood wrote:
>
>> 10+ years ago, what were the other German mics selling for? A TLM103?
>> U87? Didn't the 103 have a list price of $749 and sell for about
>> $600-650? Now they have a list of $1300 or so and sell for a grand.
>
>This thing called the "exchange rate" will prove entertaining over the
>next few years. Add to that stout increases in the cost of petroleum
>products (ust about everything nowadays) and my money will be shrinking.

Yeah but your gear equity will be in good shape...

Al
Anonymous
January 12, 2005 5:58:55 PM

<mwood5nospam@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> 10+ years ago, what were the other German mics selling for? A TLM103?
> U87? Didn't the 103 have a list price of $749 and sell for about
> $600-650? Now they have a list of $1300 or so and sell for a grand.

The TLM 103 didn't exist 10 years ago. Apart from that, you have a point.

Predrag
Anonymous
January 12, 2005 6:27:04 PM

I found it for $1350 (new) at a store in Germany. At the same store,
the Neumann U-89 is $2300. I compare it to the U-89 because that is the
Neumann mic which has the closest capsule and pattern design. The U-89
has been seen recently on the used market for $900-1100. So the
new/used ratio holds up between these two mics despite the fact that
the U89 is a much more popular microphone, though nowhere near the
popularity of the U-87.

Mike
Anonymous
January 13, 2005 7:27:53 PM

In article <1105542289.711216.223210@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>,
mwood5nospam@yahoo.com wrote:

> It is. My day job is working for a global software distributor. I
> must get 1/2 my questions from our reps trying to sell to global
> companies and they're all trying to purchase through the US right now.
> Some of them can save nearly 50% if they could just do this vs.
> purchasing in Europe and paying with Euros.
> Crazy stuff....

I had a slew of odd gear (lefty basses & guitars, misc dinosaur stuff)
on various net boards that got no serious interest for a year. All of a
sudden this Fall I got Europe responses to all of them and they ALL were
sold (I talking 7 items) to people who all wanted to PayPal me the money
immediately before the rate changed and would pick it up when they came
to the US some time within the next year!

Crazy stuff indeed. There's definitely exchange rate fever goin' on
out there.

DW

--
remove 555 from address to reply
Anonymous

DW Griffi <dwgriffi555@sprynet.com> wrote:

>Crazy stuff indeed. There's definitely exchange rate fever goin' on
>out there.

I just sold a whole stack of manuals for boatanchor video gear, and a couple
old radios (basically parts junkers) to Europe and there was actually a
bidding war going on!
--scott

January 13, 2005 7:27:54 PM

I've had the same experience with our vintage acoustic guitar sales
(shameless plug: www.jetcityguitars.com) with a lot of Europeans now
viewing high-priced old Martins, Nationals and Gibsons as a relative
bargain in Euros. As a result I am less inclined to bargain or shave
prices when customers call, and if the dollar continues to fall
further we may have to raise prices a bit.

Al

On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 16:27:53 GMT, DW Griffi <dwgriffi555@sprynet.com>
wrote:

>In article <1105542289.711216.223210@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>,
> mwood5nospam@yahoo.com wrote:
>
>> It is. My day job is working for a global software distributor. I
>> must get 1/2 my questions from our reps trying to sell to global
>> companies and they're all trying to purchase through the US right now.
>> Some of them can save nearly 50% if they could just do this vs.
>> purchasing in Europe and paying with Euros.
>> Crazy stuff....
>

>I had a slew of odd gear (lefty basses & guitars, misc dinosaur stuff)
>on various net boards that got no serious interest for a year. All of a
>sudden this Fall I got Europe responses to all of them and they ALL were
>sold (I talking 7 items) to people who all wanted to PayPal me the money
>immediately before the rate changed and would pick it up when they came
>to the US some time within the next year!
>

>Crazy stuff indeed. There's definitely exchange rate fever goin' on
>out there.
>
>DW
Anonymous
January 14, 2005 6:03:14 PM

DeserTBoB <desertb@rglobal.net> wrote:

>The bad news here is that new European audio gear will skyrocket in
>price, and since we no longer manufacture much of anything here, all
>we can do is sell our old junk back to them along with some SM-57s.

No, the SM-57 is made in Mexico now, so expect that to be going up too.
The peso is pretty well tied to the dollar but not totally because Mexico
does have other trading partners.
--scott

January 14, 2005 9:08:12 PM

> DeserTBoB <desertb@rglobal.net> wrote:
>>
>> The bad news here is that new European audio gear will skyrocket in
>> price, and since we no longer manufacture much of anything here, all
>> we can do is sell our old junk back to them along with some SM-57s.
>
> No, the SM-57 is made in Mexico now, so expect that to be going up
> too. The peso is pretty well tied to the dollar but not totally
> because Mexico does have other trading partners.

When I was just in Mexico, I saw signs of the devaluation of the $$$.
Anonymous
January 15, 2005 10:33:45 AM

kludge@panix.com (Scott Dorsey) writes:

> DeserTBoB <desertb@rglobal.net> wrote:

>>The bad news here is that new European audio gear will skyrocket in
>>price, and since we no longer manufacture much of anything here, all
>>we can do is sell our old junk back to them along with some SM-57s.

> No, the SM-57 is made in Mexico now, so expect that to be going up
> too. The peso is pretty well tied to the dollar but not totally
> because Mexico does have other trading partners.

A happy note for all... Once the world switches to the EU as the
trading currency for oil, it will be all over for the $US. I doubt
that the chimp can see that though. But look at the bright side,
you will have little johny along for the ride. Alas, we have to
go with the bastard :(

--
Paul Repacholi 1 Crescent Rd.,
+61 (08) 9257-1001 Kalamunda.

DeserTBoB wrote:

>>> Crazy stuff indeed. There's definitely exchange rate fever goin'
>>> on out there. <snip>
>

> It'll get worse before it gets better, too.

Agreed.

> The bad news here is that new European audio gear will skyrocket in
> in price

Already has, between the exchange rate and last year's price increases (Schoeps and Microtech Gefell come to mind.)

> we no longer manufacture much of anything here, all
> we can do is sell our old junk back to them along with some SM-57s.

Not true. It's a perfect time to buy mics from AEA, Josephson, and Royer. A good portion of the top-flight analog electronics are domestic as well.
Anonymous
January 15, 2005 2:38:36 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro,alt.politics (More info?)

On Sat, 15 Jan 2005 07:33:45 +0800, prep@prep.synonet.com wrote:

>A happy note for all... Once the world switches to the EU as the
>trading currency for oil, it will be all over for the $US. I doubt
>that the chimp can see that though. <snip>

Oh, yes he does...well, maybe not him, but "President" Dickhead Cheney
sure does. There are some pretty credible people inside the beltway
who are theorizing that Cheney, with the support of the neocons they
installed in the Pentagon (Wolfowitz, Perle and that crowd) told Bush
to invade Iraq because Saddam switched selling Iraqi oil from US
dollars to Euros, which put an immediate spike in the value of the
Euro and accelerated the slide of the US dollar. It wasn't long after
Saddam did this that we started getting all the posturing for the
Iraqi invasion from Monkey Boy and his Repuke toadies. We'll probably
never know the truth, but it's quite obvious from the results that the
stated reasons were all lies, and that Bush is responsible for
dereliction of duty in Afghanistan...he simply let the enemy go while
he went after that Iraqi oil, all probably at Cheney's behest!

Go look on the spot market...what's Iraqi oil now going for? US
dollars...JUST the way Cheney wanted it. However, the damage is
already done, insurgent activity has prevented Halliburton from
ramping up production in the Iraqi fields, and the dollar is
continuing to slide every day, something that the White House is still
in denial over.

dB
Anonymous
January 15, 2005 4:55:08 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro,alt.politics (More info?)

Did anyone else hear the piece on NPR about how even drug dealers in
other countries are now preferring the Euro over the dollar? It's
really getting bad when even the crooks don't want it.

Al
!