Sign in with
Your question

Formating my C drive

Last response: in Windows 7
June 5, 2012 6:55:31 PM

Hi,

I had a triple boot system with 4 physical hard drives. My main OS is 64-bit Win7 which is installed on the D: drive. I used to run Vista from the C: drive, but have not booted into Vista in about a year. I also have a very old XP installation I never use but which I keep around in case I run into a disaster. I think I may have caused myself some difficulty because I just formated my C drive from Win7. Now I am thinking that if I reboot, it will not be able to find the system files needed to know to find the boot files on my D drive. I seem to remember that even if you have your OS files on a different partition, the computer still wants to have 2 small system files on the root of the first device, which is then uses to find all the OS's on the entire computer. Were those files on the root of C: ?

The 4 hard drives are :

Disc 0 - 100 GB - G Drive (no OS installed on this drive).
Disc 1 - 500 GB, partitioned into F: drive and C: drive. F: drive houses XP, C: drive used to house Vista (now formated).
Disc 2 - 80 GB SSD D Drive Win7 64-bit
Disc 3 - 1.5 TB external drive (no OS).

Would Win7 have allowed me to destroy the hidden system files? I am worried if I reboot, it will come up with "No boot drive found" or some such error.

More about : formating drive

a b $ Windows 7
June 5, 2012 7:29:39 PM

Also there should have been a 100Mb partition 'System reserved' when you installed Win 7, if that is still in place it houses your boot manager
Actually not sure about that, some say it's there others not. You could use msconfig to check your boot situation.
m
l
June 7, 2012 6:27:22 PM

dodger46 said:
Also there should have been a 100Mb partition 'System reserved' when you installed Win 7, if that is still in place it houses your boot manager
Actually not sure about that, some say it's there others not. You could use msconfig to check your boot situation.

Thanks for the replies. Looks like I was saved by my ancient XP installation. When I went into "Disk Management" in the Computer Management tool, I was relieved to see that my XP partition (called F: drive) was listed as the System partition, meaning it was storing the necessary files to point to other partitions. So when I reformated my C: drive, it had no effect on my System partition (F:)  nor my Boot partition (D:) .

So am down to a dual-boot system now, and have recovered all the disk space long since wasted on Vista.

Thanks,
BM.
m
l
Related resources
!