Gothic 3 German Scheduled for Jan 1 2006

Just read on RPGdot that Gothic 3 is scheduled to be released in German-
speaking territories on Jan 1, 2006. So That means over a year for the rest
of us. How can we cope?!

Once a Gamer, Always a Gamer.

Mean_Chlorine wrote:
> Also, if the reviews of Gothic and Gothic2 are any indication, it
> will get bad reviews regardless of the quality of the game*.
>
> * I still wonder what that was about. At first I thought it was just
> bias against european games, but games like Riddick get good reviews,
> so why the heck was Gothic and Gothic2 panned? Especially considering
> the glowing praise for turds like Neverwinter Nights OC.

I would guess that most reviewers just didn't stick with the game
long enough to appreciate it. I know I was ready to uninstall the
thing after dying to goblins and sheep for the 30th time. "What
the heck kind of twitch game is this??", I wondered. Plus, the
retro 90's look to the game can be a little off-putting. I can
understand why most of today's "professional" reviewers would pan
it after an hour of play.

I imagine it's similar to folks who only suffer through NWN's OC
module and label the entire game as a "turd".

-st

James Garvin wrote:
> Retro 90's look?

Yeah, the game looked like it was 10 years old.
Some simply referred to it as "European charm".

I can't believe I forgot about the maddening control system.
I'm sure that was the deal-breaker for more than a few.

-st

Steve T wrote:

> Mean_Chlorine wrote:
>
>>Also, if the reviews of Gothic and Gothic2 are any indication, it
>>will get bad reviews regardless of the quality of the game*.
>>
>>* I still wonder what that was about. At first I thought it was just
>>bias against european games, but games like Riddick get good reviews,
>>so why the heck was Gothic and Gothic2 panned? Especially considering
>>the glowing praise for turds like Neverwinter Nights OC.
>

> I would guess that most reviewers just didn't stick with the game
> long enough to appreciate it. I know I was ready to uninstall the
> thing after dying to goblins and sheep for the 30th time. "What
> the heck kind of twitch game is this??", I wondered. Plus, the
> retro 90's look to the game can be a little off-putting. I can
> understand why most of today's "professional" reviewers would pan
> it after an hour of play.

Retro 90's look?

"Knight37" <knight37m@email.com> wrote in message
> Just read on RPGdot that Gothic 3 is scheduled to be released in German-
> speaking territories on Jan 1, 2006. So That means over a year for the
rest
> of us. How can we cope?!

As I understood it, they were planning on an English release *first* this
time around.

Knight37 wrote:
> Just read on RPGdot that Gothic 3 is scheduled to be released in
> German- speaking territories on Jan 1, 2006. So That means over a
> year for the rest of us. How can we cope?!

It's a strange strategi only to release a game in German.
How difficult can it be to translate it in to English?
I just don't understand it.

Steve T wrote:
> James Garvin wrote:
>
>>Retro 90's look?
>

> Yeah, the game looked like it was 10 years old.
> Some simply referred to it as "European charm".

What!!?? The graphics were excellent!
http://www.gamenavigator.ru/pub/videos/gothic_2-e3_trailer-hires.zip.jpg
http://www.igrograd.com.ua/images/79-139/gotika/Gothik03.jpg
http://www.ixbt.com/video/itogi-video/gal1003/r9800-gothic2-2.jpg

How do they look like 1995 graphics?

> I can't believe I forgot about the maddening control system.
> I'm sure that was the deal-breaker for more than a few.

You just had to get used to it. The control scheme wasn't as bad as
everyone is making it out. It was just keyboad controls that make
logical sense. It actually made the "twitch" combat far easier than
using a mouse.

Thusly "LIV" <spammers@goto.hell> Spake Unto All:

>> Just read on RPGdot that Gothic 3 is scheduled to be released in
>> German- speaking territories on Jan 1, 2006. So That means over a
>> year for the rest of us. How can we cope?!
>
>It's a strange strategi only to release a game in German.
>How difficult can it be to translate it in to English?
>I just don't understand it.

They may have problems finding an english publisher.
Also, if the reviews of Gothic and Gothic2 are any indication, it will
get bad reviews regardless of the quality of the game*.

* I still wonder what that was about. At first I thought it was just
bias against european games, but games like Riddick get good reviews,
so why the heck was Gothic and Gothic2 panned? Especially considering
the glowing praise for turds like Neverwinter Nights OC.
I'm not *quite* cynical enough to believe it's a matter of buying
reviewers, but this is one case where the suspicion strikes me.

--
Fun Fact of the Day: In exit polls at the election 2004 the percentage of American
voters citing moral and ethical values as their prime concern was 22 percent,

Mean_Chlorine <mike_noren2002@NOSPAMyahoo.co.uk> looked up from reading
the entrails of the porn spammer to utter "The Augury is good, the
signs say:

>Thusly "LIV" <spammers@goto.hell> Spake Unto All:
>
>>> Just read on RPGdot that Gothic 3 is scheduled to be released in
>>> German- speaking territories on Jan 1, 2006. So That means over a
>>> year for the rest of us. How can we cope?!
>>
>>It's a strange strategi only to release a game in German.
>>How difficult can it be to translate it in to English?
>>I just don't understand it.
>
>They may have problems finding an english publisher.
>Also, if the reviews of Gothic and Gothic2 are any indication, it will
>get bad reviews regardless of the quality of the game*.
>
>* I still wonder what that was about. At first I thought it was just
>bias against european games, but games like Riddick get good reviews,
>so why the heck was Gothic and Gothic2 panned? Especially considering
>the glowing praise for turds like Neverwinter Nights OC.
>I'm not *quite* cynical enough to believe it's a matter of buying
>reviewers, but this is one case where the suspicion strikes me.

Personally i'd guess it was just plain old prejudice.

"How dare those Euros make a better product than us."

Riddick is a shooter and North America has loads of those, both good and
bad, so it's a tossup whether Riddick "beats" the N.A. offerings like
HL2 or DOOM3.

The Gothics on the other hand, don't have a lot of North American
competition, and wonky interface and everything, Gothic 1 showed exactly
how far N.A. game makers had to go yet to make a living, breathing
world.

I like Morrowind; I bought both the addons.
I recognize that it's pretty sterile compared to Gothic, though in it's
favor it is considerably larger and a Gothic level of character
interaction would have resulted in it still not being out yet.

Oh yeah, I forgot one point - there's no multiplayer.
How can a N.A. reviewer possibly give a good score to a game he can't
pvp in?

Xocyll

Mean_Chlorine wrote:

> Thusly "LIV" <spammers@goto.hell> Spake Unto All:
>

>>>Just read on RPGdot that Gothic 3 is scheduled to be released in
>>>German- speaking territories on Jan 1, 2006. So That means over a
>>>year for the rest of us. How can we cope?!
>>
>>It's a strange strategi only to release a game in German.
>>How difficult can it be to translate it in to English?
>>I just don't understand it.
>

> They may have problems finding an english publisher.
> Also, if the reviews of Gothic and Gothic2 are any indication, it will
> get bad reviews regardless of the quality of the game*.
>
> * I still wonder what that was about. At first I thought it was just
> bias against european games, but games like Riddick get good reviews,
> so why the heck was Gothic and Gothic2 panned? Especially considering
> the glowing praise for turds like Neverwinter Nights OC.
> I'm not *quite* cynical enough to believe it's a matter of buying
> reviewers, but this is one case where the suspicion strikes me.

I really wonder about some reviews. While Riddick was "interesting" it
wasn't anything special. You also have game like PS:T that only get
decent reviews (usually in the high 80s). I really wonder if game
reviewer REALLY play the game all the way through or just play for 15
minutes and give it a review.

Sam Jones wrote:
> "Knight37" <knight37m@email.com> wrote in message
>> Just read on RPGdot that Gothic 3 is scheduled to be released in
>> German- speaking territories on Jan 1, 2006. So That means over a
>> year for the rest of us. How can we cope?!
>
> As I understood it, they were planning on an English release *first*
> this time around.

Where did you learn that?

On 5 Apr 2005 00:40:24 GMT, Knight37 <knight37m@email.com> wrote:

>Just read on RPGdot that Gothic 3 is scheduled to be released in German-
>speaking territories on Jan 1, 2006. So That means over a year for the rest
>of us. How can we cope?!

I haven't even played Night of the Raven yet! Hopefully we'll get that first.
;-)

> I really wonder about some reviews. While Riddick was "interesting" it
> wasn't anything special. You also have game like PS:T that only get
> decent reviews (usually in the high 80s). I really wonder if game
> reviewer REALLY play the game all the way through or just play for 15
> minutes and give it a review.

Of course they don't play the game all the way through most often,
if they had to complete every game they reviewed... geesh,
that'd be hard. So it's perfectly understoodable for PS:T in a way,
that feeling you get when you see the end of the story, the
reviewers probably didn't experience it.

-Mickmils

Thusly James Garvin <jgarvin2004@comcast.net> Spake Unto All:

>> I would guess that most reviewers just didn't stick with the game
>> long enough to appreciate it. I know I was ready to uninstall the
>> thing after dying to goblins and sheep for the 30th time. "What
>> the heck kind of twitch game is this??", I wondered. Plus, the
>> retro 90's look to the game can be a little off-putting. I can
>> understand why most of today's "professional" reviewers would pan
>> it after an hour of play.
>
>Retro 90's look?

If that was it, they should've thrown up all over NWN OC.
Instead they got high scores for their *really* weak gfx.

--

Thusly "Steve T" <joe_fatties_boo@hotmail.com> Spake Unto All:

>> Retro 90's look?
>
>Yeah, the game looked like it was 10 years old.
>Some simply referred to it as "European charm".

Gothic is quite dated now, but it's 7 years old, so it's got a good
excuse.

Gothic2 looked like Morrowind:
http://www.gamershell.com/screenpop.php?id=39365
http://www.gamershell.com/screenpop.php?id=39358
And that's pretty fricking good for a three year old rpg.

Slightly better than Morrowind IMO, at least once I'd found the full
viewdistance button.

>I can't believe I forgot about the maddening control system.

That'd be Gothic1. Yeah, that was a dealbreaker. I couldn't play it.

--
Fun Fact of the Day: In exit polls at the election 2004 the percentage of American
voters citing moral and ethical values as their prime concern was 22 percent,
continuing a trend of *decreasing* perceived importance of morals: In the 2000
election 35 percent cited morals & ethical values as their prime concern, and in
1996 a whopping 40%, almost twice as many as in 2004.
(Bet you hadn't gotten that impression from the press, had you?)

nostromo

Thus spake Xocyll <Xocyll@kingston.net>, Tue, 05 Apr 2005 08:19:36 -0400,
Anno Domini:

>Oh yeah, I forgot one point - there's no multiplayer.
>How can a N.A. reviewer possibly give a good score to a game he can't
>pvp in?

He, he, yup - how can you be a l33t d00d w/o any noobs to preen your
feathers in front of, ey? ;-)

Mean_Chlorine wrote:
> Thusly "Steve T" <joe_fatties_boo@hotmail.com> Spake Unto All:
>

>>>Retro 90's look?
>>
>>Yeah, the game looked like it was 10 years old.
>>Some simply referred to it as "European charm".
>

> Gothic is quite dated now, but it's 7 years old, so it's got a good
> excuse.

More like 4 years old according to Mobygames.

mrlg wrote:

> More like 4 years old according to Mobygames.

It has to be older than that. IRRC it came out in 2k in the US and a
year or more before that in Europe.

"LIV" <spammers@goto.hell> wrote in message
> Sam Jones wrote:
> > "Knight37" <knight37m@email.com> wrote in message
> >> Just read on RPGdot that Gothic 3 is scheduled to be released in
> >> German- speaking territories on Jan 1, 2006. So That means over a
> >> year for the rest of us. How can we cope?!
> >
> > As I understood it, they were planning on an English release *first*
> > this time around.
>
> Where did you learn that?

Sorry, I misremembered the details from this forum posting over at Gamers
With Jobs:

"English version "will show up sooner than the Germans may like""

http://www.gamerswithjobs.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=9243

"James Garvin" <jgarvin2004@comcast.net> schrieb im Newsbeitrag

> It has to be older than that. IRRC it came out in 2k in the US and a
> year or more before that in Europe.

It says 2001 on my german first edition box. Didn't want to believe it at
first too, but there it is...

Alfred Pum wrote:

> "James Garvin" <jgarvin2004@comcast.net> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
>
>>It has to be older than that. IRRC it came out in 2k in the US and a
>>year or more before that in Europe.
>

> It says 2001 on my german first edition box. Didn't want to believe it at
> first too, but there it is...

YIKES! It seems so long ago!! Still even for a four year old game the
graphics are very good. It is just as clean (if not cleaner) than
Morrowind.

> YIKES! It seems so long ago!! Still even for a four year old game the
> graphics are very good. It is just as clean (if not cleaner) than
> Morrowind.

Not to mention that the world in both Gothic's feels sooo much more alive
than Morrowind's (which I liked just fine).

Thusly mrlg <nospam@nospam.com> Spake Unto All:

>> Gothic is quite dated now, but it's 7 years old, so it's got a good
>> excuse.
>

>More like 4 years old according to Mobygames.

D'oh!