Connecting a LAN network to a wireless router

shadyx

Honorable
Feb 12, 2013
Hello,
I've got a wireless TP-LINK router with an ADSL connection.It got 1 ADSL port and 4 LAN ports. I will be temporarily moving to another house for a couple of months.The internet connection type in that house is LAN.I'm not so sure that this the right term but it's not ADSL or dial up,it's just a cable connected to the PC from the rooftop which got a small device that's connected to the provider's office .I need wifi for my galaxy s3 .So my questions are:
1-Is it actually possible to connect a LAN connection to a router and use wifi ? If so,are there any installion steps other than just connecting the cable to the router?
2-Will this affect my adsl connection when I go back to the house with the adsl connection ?

dbhosttexas

Honorable
Jan 15, 2013

Okay, now we need to clarify exactly what type of ISP connection you have, or rather will have.

You say the internet connection type in that house is LAN. Which by definition isn't correct. a LAN network connection means that you are connecting to a Local Area Network. Local meaning the building, or group of buildings within close proximity. Your uplink is going to be some flavor or WAN network connectivity.

The most common for residential are, and I am not certain about the order, but I am pretty confident I am right, so in descending order of popularity / commonality...

#1. Cable broadband. This would enter the house via means of a coaxial cable, attach to a cable modem, and then provide an RJ-45 (looks like a fat modular phone jack) port. Which in turn connects to the WAN port on your router.
#2. DSL / ADSL. Comes in via a phone line, to the DSL modem, and then out of the modem with an RJ-45 port to the WAN port on your router.
#3. Dial up networking. Pretty much everyone and their dog knows how this works. Plenty slow, hardly worth talking about.
#4. ISDN. The predecessor of DSL, requires special dual line phone service, and a special modem, but in generality the same as DSL, just slower. (If I recall the fastest ISDN would work was 256K).
#5. Satelite broadband. Uses a dish similar to satelite TV. Pretty rare except in rural areas. Beats the snot out of dial up, but plenty expensive. Not familiar enough with the architecture, but should be dish to coax, to modem, to RJ-45 to router.
#6. Ethernet. Simply put, some providers will pull an ethernet cable to your facility. FAR more common in shared residential buildings, and apartment complexes. And you are really just sharing a WAN with other users...
#7. Fiber network. Verizon FiOS, Google Fiber and others use this. Not certain of the architecture, but I suspect again, modem or media attachment device of some sort to RJ-45 to your network router to your network...

So you see the common thread. SOMETHING in there must provide a WAN connection via an RJ-45 connector. The bigger question is how to get an IP and authenticate to it if it requires authentication.. Once you are getting an IP and are past any authentication processes, it is merely a matter of setting up your router to share it to you, and you are good to go...

shadyx

Honorable
Feb 12, 2013
Hey guys,sorry for taking too long to post an update,I was really busy.
1st of all,the network is temporiraly disabled till I can go and pay to the provider so if I tired anything,I may not be really sure if it works or not.

@emerlad I will try this if evrything else failed,unless if you are 100% it's the only way.Thanks.
@I'm almost certain it's an ethernet connection,it's also shared because I know that the speed is unstable.

ok so I tried connecting the ethernet cable to the router and connected the router's power cable.My phone recieved the wifi signal and the username/password are still the same that I used for my ADSL connection.The only lights that are turned on in the router are the ones above "power" and "WLAN*,the light above "internet" was turned on for a few sec then turned off.