Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

SKB cases stack?

Last response: in Home Audio
Share
Anonymous
January 11, 2005 1:55:06 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

Hi,

SKB seems to change their rack case style quite often.
I'm wondering if there are any problems stacking the different
types.

Thanks.

More about : skb cases stack

Anonymous
January 11, 2005 2:23:56 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 22:55:06 GMT, james of tucson
<fishbowl@radagast.home.conservatory.com> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>SKB seems to change their rack case style quite often.
>I'm wondering if there are any problems stacking the different
>types.

They don't stack that well even when they're all of the same type.
Mike T.
Anonymous
January 11, 2005 2:40:43 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

james of tucson wrote:

> SKB seems to change their rack case style quite often.
> I'm wondering if there are any problems stacking the different
> types.

I have several older ones, and a newer one with different styling and
slightly mor depth, but they all stack fine. These are all the
full-depth models, not the shallower ones.

--
ha
Related resources
Anonymous
January 12, 2005 1:43:41 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

In article <ok36u0pu554urhnpmhs75llpeqp1m02eci@4ax.com>, Mike T.
<miket@invalid.net> wrote:

> On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 22:55:06 GMT, james of tucson
> <fishbowl@radagast.home.conservatory.com> wrote:
>
> >Hi,
> >
> >SKB seems to change their rack case style quite often.
> >I'm wondering if there are any problems stacking the different
> >types.
>
> They don't stack that well even when they're all of the same type.
> Mike T.

I'll agree to that. I have 2 older-style 8-spacers, 2 older-style 12
spacers(and wheelbases), 4 12-space RotoRacks(and wheelbases), an
older-style 2-spacer, a 2 and 4 space Roto, and a newer 4-space Roto, in
addition to a 16-space shock mount(with wheelbase) and 2 pop-up mixer
cases(one with bad latches since day 1). They don't stack that great,
matched or not, new or not.

--
The Deadbeats' Hall of Lame: http://www.studio42.org/
Where spammers are exposed for the deadbeats they truly are.
California Resident says: We've upped our standards, so now UP YOURS!
Don't respond to this address. It's invalid and I own the domain.
--
Giang Tien Audio: http://www.giangtien.com/ Sacramento, CA
Anonymous
January 13, 2005 8:06:47 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

"james of tucson" <fishbowl@radagast.home.conservatory.com> wrote in message
news:slrncu61uk.fh1.fishbowl@radagast.home.conservatory.com...
> SKB seems to change their rack case style quite often.
> I'm wondering if there are any problems stacking the different
> types.

The front and back of the same case aren't interchangable because nothing is
square. If anybody had turned in something made like one of those, they'd
have flunked my high school shop class!

--
Bob Olhsson Audio Mastery, Nashville TN
Mastering, Audio for Picture, Mix Evaluation and Quality Control
Over 40 years making people sound better than they ever imagined!
615.385.8051 http://www.hyperback.com
Anonymous
January 13, 2005 8:57:47 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

In article <HlnFd.10867$7N1.6544@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net>, "Bob
Olhsson" <olh@hyperback.com> wrote:

> "james of tucson" <fishbowl@radagast.home.conservatory.com> wrote in message
> news:slrncu61uk.fh1.fishbowl@radagast.home.conservatory.com...
> > SKB seems to change their rack case style quite often.
> > I'm wondering if there are any problems stacking the different
> > types.
>
> The front and back of the same case aren't interchangable because nothing is
> square. If anybody had turned in something made like one of those, they'd
> have flunked my high school shop class!
>
With my 12-space and 8 space older style(and 2 space), the front and backs
are interchangable with like-sized cases. However, over time, they've
"settled during shipping" and it's not so true with the 12-spacers
anymore.

The newer RotoRacks, the front and backs are incompatible. ALSO, the
quality control isn't the same, some simply don't line up the latches to
the hooks properly. To save time, I've used some marking tape so
everything goes to the right case.

With the newer 4-space Roto I've got, it's all plastic, so I can't see it
warping much right now, but later on...

The 16-spacer, the whole frame for the lids are out of whack. Definately a
QC issue.

--
The Deadbeats' Hall of Lame: http://www.studio42.org/
Where spammers are exposed for the deadbeats they truly are.
California Resident says: We've upped our standards, so now UP YOURS!
Don't respond to this address. It's invalid and I own the domain.
--
Giang Tien Audio: http://www.giangtien.com/ Sacramento, CA
Anonymous
January 13, 2005 3:33:47 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

SKB = S#!+ Keeps Breaking

On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 05:57:47 GMT, for_usenet@invalid.studio42.com
(Chris Pickett) wrote:

>In article <HlnFd.10867$7N1.6544@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net>, "Bob
>Olhsson" <olh@hyperback.com> wrote:
>
>> "james of tucson" <fishbowl@radagast.home.conservatory.com> wrote in message
>> news:slrncu61uk.fh1.fishbowl@radagast.home.conservatory.com...
>> > SKB seems to change their rack case style quite often.
>> > I'm wondering if there are any problems stacking the different
>> > types.
>>
>> The front and back of the same case aren't interchangable because nothing is
>> square. If anybody had turned in something made like one of those, they'd
>> have flunked my high school shop class!
>>
>With my 12-space and 8 space older style(and 2 space), the front and backs
>are interchangable with like-sized cases. However, over time, they've
>"settled during shipping" and it's not so true with the 12-spacers
>anymore.
>
>The newer RotoRacks, the front and backs are incompatible. ALSO, the
>quality control isn't the same, some simply don't line up the latches to
>the hooks properly. To save time, I've used some marking tape so
>everything goes to the right case.
>
>With the newer 4-space Roto I've got, it's all plastic, so I can't see it
>warping much right now, but later on...
>
>The 16-spacer, the whole frame for the lids are out of whack. Definately a
>QC issue.
>
>--
>The Deadbeats' Hall of Lame: http://www.studio42.org/
> Where spammers are exposed for the deadbeats they truly are.
>California Resident says: We've upped our standards, so now UP YOURS!
> Don't respond to this address. It's invalid and I own the domain.
>--
>Giang Tien Audio: http://www.giangtien.com/ Sacramento, CA

Willie K. Yee, M.D. http://users.bestweb.net/~wkyee
Developer of Problem Knowledge Couplers for Psychiatry http://www.pkc.com
Webmaster and Guitarist for the Big Blue Big Band http://www.bigbluebigband.org
Anonymous
January 13, 2005 9:30:02 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

Bob Olhsson wrote:

> The front and back of the same case aren't interchangable because nothing is
> square.

Correct. One must keep the lids both with the unit they came with, and
on the face they were first installed. The back cover will mate shittily
with the front, etc.

> If anybody had turned in something made like one of those, they'd
> have flunked my high school shop class!

Yeah, but wooden rack cases don't shed snow nearly as well as SKB's do,
and today that could be a problem for me. <g>

--
ha
Anonymous
January 13, 2005 9:30:03 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

"hank alrich" <walkinay@thegrid.net> wrote in message
news:1gqbkka.1kpe1fp11nvyxbN%walkinay@thegrid.net...
> Bob Olhsson wrote:
> > If anybody had turned in something made like one of those, they'd
> > have flunked my high school shop class!
>
> Yeah, but wooden rack cases don't shed snow nearly as well as SKB's do,
> and today that could be a problem for me. <g>

The only reason I use the SKB racks is 'cause they're so much lighter than
wooden rack cases, and my aging back appreciates every pound I don't make it
carry.

Hal Laurent
Baltimore
Anonymous
January 14, 2005 4:19:06 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

"Hal Laurent" <laurent@charm.net> wrote in message
news:wvCFd.16$Sv5.905@news.abs.net...
> The only reason I use the SKB racks is 'cause they're so much lighter than
> wooden rack cases, and my aging back appreciates every pound I don't make
it
> carry.

I hear you but never SHIP one of those if you want the gear to arrive in one
piece.

--
Bob Olhsson Audio Mastery, Nashville TN
Mastering, Audio for Picture, Mix Evaluation and Quality Control
Over 40 years making people sound better than they ever imagined!
615.385.8051 http://www.hyperback.com
Anonymous
January 14, 2005 4:19:07 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

"Bob Olhsson" <olh@hyperback.com> wrote in message
news:e6FFd.1560$S11.940@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net...
> "Hal Laurent" <laurent@charm.net> wrote in message
> news:wvCFd.16$Sv5.905@news.abs.net...
> > The only reason I use the SKB racks is 'cause they're so much lighter
than
> > wooden rack cases, and my aging back appreciates every pound I don't
make
> it
> > carry.
>
> I hear you but never SHIP one of those if you want the gear to arrive in
one
> piece.

Oh, I agree. I'd never ship anything in an SKB rack. I'm talking about
schlepping them around town with my own back. I've also learned the hard
way to use more small racks rather then fewer large ones.

Hal Laurent
Baltimore
Anonymous
January 14, 2005 8:10:39 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

On 2005-01-13 laurent@charm.net said:
>"hank alrich" <walkinay@thegrid.net> wrote in message
>> > If anybody had turned in something made like one of those,
>>they'd > have flunked my high school shop class!
>> Yeah, but wooden rack cases don't shed snow nearly as well as
>>SKB's do, and today that could be a problem for me. <g>
>The only reason I use the SKB racks is 'cause they're so much
>lighter than wooden rack cases, and my aging back appreciates every
>pound I don't make it carry.

Yah that slick plastic would shed snow quite well and it quite light.
My anvil 14 spacer might not shed snow as well as the skb but is much
better built and I bought it used.

There are plenty of good case manufacturers out there, might be one in
just about every part of the country in fact. SKB is pure junk. I've
noted the same problems others have noted in this thread, and they
seem to warp easily. YOu get it shipped to you and install your stuff
in it and after a gig or two you find out that even the front and back
covers when mated to the appropriate place don't fit anymore.
I found a local manufacturer of cases her in NEw ORleans. Can't think
of the name off the top of my head but I've seen their work and it's
good quality and still lighter than a wood rack.




Richard Webb,
Electric SPider Productions, New Orleans, La.
REplace anything before the @ symbol with elspider for real email

--
Anonymous
January 14, 2005 8:01:00 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

In article <RrFFd.18$Sv5.1061@news.abs.net>, "Hal Laurent"
<laurent@charm.net> wrote:

> "Bob Olhsson" <olh@hyperback.com> wrote in message
> news:e6FFd.1560$S11.940@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net...
> > "Hal Laurent" <laurent@charm.net> wrote in message
> > news:wvCFd.16$Sv5.905@news.abs.net...
> > > The only reason I use the SKB racks is 'cause they're so much lighter
> than
> > > wooden rack cases, and my aging back appreciates every pound I don't
> make
> > it
> > > carry.
> >
> > I hear you but never SHIP one of those if you want the gear to arrive in
> one
> > piece.

Not exactly true. But with the smaller latches of the older stuff, I'm
just not up to trusting them like I used to. My old-style 2-spacer is
solid, I keep my Rickenbacker PA300 amp in there that I use with my
nearfields. I've had that one at least 8 years and it's still good, and
heavily(no pun intended, that amp is 36 pounds) used, even after many
years of road work.

The rest don't fare too well.

>
> Oh, I agree. I'd never ship anything in an SKB rack. I'm talking about
> schlepping them around town with my own back. I've also learned the hard
> way to use more small racks rather then fewer large ones.

I've learned the hard way that more small racks means more set-up time and
interconnects. These days I'm into loading up racks with a LOT of prior
thought and then ensuring wheel bases go on everything.

Well, that and ensure your haul device(be it trailer or box truck) has a
ramp and/or lift gate.

--
The Deadbeats' Hall of Lame: http://www.studio42.org/
Where spammers are exposed for the deadbeats they truly are.
California Resident says: We've upped our standards, so now UP YOURS!
Don't respond to this address. It's invalid and I own the domain.
--
Giang Tien Audio: http://www.giangtien.com/ Sacramento, CA
Anonymous
January 14, 2005 8:01:01 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

"Chris Pickett" <for_usenet@invalid.studio42.com> wrote in message
news:for_usenet-1401050900300001@3.0-24.42.1.10.in-addr.arpa...

> I've learned the hard way that more small racks means more set-up time and
> interconnects. These days I'm into loading up racks with a LOT of prior
> thought and then ensuring wheel bases go on everything.
>
> Well, that and ensure your haul device(be it trailer or box truck) has a
> ramp and/or lift gate.

And make sure you don't take any gigs where you have to carry stuff up (or
down) stairs.

Hal Laurent
Baltimore
Anonymous
January 15, 2005 9:03:31 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

In article <7cUFd.2$PD6.2198@news.abs.net>, "Hal Laurent"
<laurent@charm.net> wrote:

> "Chris Pickett" <for_usenet@invalid.studio42.com> wrote in message
> news:for_usenet-1401050900300001@3.0-24.42.1.10.in-addr.arpa...
>
> > I've learned the hard way that more small racks means more set-up time and
> > interconnects. These days I'm into loading up racks with a LOT of prior
> > thought and then ensuring wheel bases go on everything.
> >
> > Well, that and ensure your haul device(be it trailer or box truck) has a
> > ramp and/or lift gate.
>
> And make sure you don't take any gigs where you have to carry stuff up (or
> down) stairs.

Don't get me going there!!!

I've done TWO shows at this one place, only way up: a big flight of
WIDE(oh thank goodness) stairs. We can put 3-4 guys on a rack if we have
to. They have 2 other rooms on the ground floor.

Another location, I can't reach the loading dock. I can HAUL the trailer,
I can't steer it in reverse if my life depended on it. Even so, it's way
below the loading dock. Had to carry everything up 4 stairs, PLUS fight
for usage of the freight elevators. No thank you, no more gigs there!
After load-in is done, we have maybe 30 minutes for me to direct how to
set stuff up(my crew needs guidance, but they work hard) and do lights.
Then of course the band is always an hour late, but that's another issue
all together.

My "booking agent" is well aware of the difficulties of those two venues.
One is ruled out(the 4 steps) until I get a box truck. The other: we'll
just do scaled down shows up there but otherwise try to avoid.

My new gear is significantly heavier. NO F'ing way in hell am I going to
lug an A&H ML5K 48B console in or out of a flight case up anything more
than a curb. This ain't no Mackie 1604VLZ!!

With a regular case, you can hard-attach the wheel bases. The SKB's will
slosh around and get loose no matter how hard you crank them down(which
may be in part why some of my warping has occured). Plus, better handles
on the regular cases, meaning more bodies can carry a case.

Over the next 3 years, I will be phasing out most of my SKB cases from
road usage to a friend's studio for more static usage. I'm standardizing
on shock mounted racks with rails on both sides and 3" casters with
lockdowns. For smaller racks, they'll have to stack with the other racks,
so I'll have the bumpers done properly to accomodate that. I'll at least
have control over width and depth, and with the casters uniform,
everything will stack nicely and pack well in a box truck or trailer. I'm
going to mix up the colors though to make matching up lids to cases
easier, although anything on stage will need to be either red or black.

I failed to mention my SKB keyboard cases and hardshell bass case. Now,
those are a totally different story. Those have been through hell and back
and are solid as hell! Bought a guitar case for a guitar, same deal, same
issues. I guess I got lucky on all of those. 2 61-note keyboard cases and
1 76-note keyboard case with wheels.

A few years ago I was raving about SKB cases. These days, I'm bemoaning
them. I think the concept is great, but either there are some QA issues,
or some structural issues, perhaps both. There's got to be a way to get
some better rigidity to these case with minimal weight impact. It's just
plastic and aluminum.

--
The Deadbeats' Hall of Lame: http://www.studio42.org/
Where spammers are exposed for the deadbeats they truly are.
California Resident says: We've upped our standards, so now UP YOURS!
Don't respond to this address. It's invalid and I own the domain.
--
Giang Tien Audio: http://www.giangtien.com/ Sacramento, CA
Anonymous
January 15, 2005 2:09:35 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

In article <for_usenet-1401052203000001@3.0-24.42.1.10.in-addr.arpa> for_usenet@invalid.studio42.com writes:

> Another location, I can't reach the loading dock. I can HAUL the trailer,
> I can't steer it in reverse if my life depended on it. Even so, it's way
> below the loading dock. Had to carry everything up 4 stairs

You need wheels on your cases and a ramp. Given the choice of a truck
with a lift gate or a ramp and wheels, I'll take the ramp any time.
You can even rig up a ramp for a van to get things out and down to
street level, then use the wheelchair ramps into the building if
they're available. But you may have to go around to the other side,
which you can almost always do a couple of hours before show time, but
not when it gets too close to time and you're still loading.


--
I'm really Mike Rivers (mrivers@d-and-d.com)
However, until the spam goes away or Hell freezes over,
lots of IP addresses are blocked from this system. If
you e-mail me and it bounces, use your secret decoder ring
and reach me here: double-m-eleven-double-zero at yahoo
Anonymous
January 15, 2005 6:11:51 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

<0junk4me@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
news:jvIFd.4515$Zv5.4116@bignews1.bellsouth.net...
>
> There are plenty of good case manufacturers out there, might be one in
> just about every part of the country in fact. SKB is pure junk.

The best I've seen were the NATO-designed titanium ones. Very expensive but
Maryland Sound claimed to have saved the entire cost of putting touring rigs
in them from reduced shipping expense alone.

--
Bob Olhsson Audio Mastery, Nashville TN
Mastering, Audio for Picture, Mix Evaluation and Quality Control
Over 40 years making people sound better than they ever imagined!
615.385.8051 http://www.hyperback.com
Anonymous
January 15, 2005 6:11:52 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

Bob Olhsson <olh@hyperback.com> wrote:
><0junk4me@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
>news:jvIFd.4515$Zv5.4116@bignews1.bellsouth.net...
>>
>> There are plenty of good case manufacturers out there, might be one in
>> just about every part of the country in fact. SKB is pure junk.
>
>The best I've seen were the NATO-designed titanium ones. Very expensive but
>Maryland Sound claimed to have saved the entire cost of putting touring rigs
>in them from reduced shipping expense alone.

Got a source for them?

I am using the military polyurethane cases from LVW Electronics in Colorado,
which are pretty solid and so far have not been destroyed by the airlines or
FedEx. But they are heavy, and with what FedEx charges, I'd be interested in
something lighter.
--scott

--
"C'est un Nagra. C'est suisse, et tres, tres precis."
Anonymous
January 15, 2005 7:41:49 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

In article <znr1105791855k@trad>, mrivers@d-and-d.com wrote:

> In article <for_usenet-1401052203000001@3.0-24.42.1.10.in-addr.arpa>
for_usenet@invalid.studio42.com writes:
>
> > Another location, I can't reach the loading dock. I can HAUL the trailer,
> > I can't steer it in reverse if my life depended on it. Even so, it's way
> > below the loading dock. Had to carry everything up 4 stairs
>
> You need wheels on your cases and a ramp. Given the choice of a truck
> with a lift gate or a ramp and wheels, I'll take the ramp any time.
> You can even rig up a ramp for a van to get things out and down to
> street level, then use the wheelchair ramps into the building if
> they're available. But you may have to go around to the other side,
> which you can almost always do a couple of hours before show time, but
> not when it gets too close to time and you're still loading.

I'm still going back and forth on the ramp vs. a lift gate. Both have
advantages and disadvantages. I like the idea of a box truck with a
standard deck height.

Show last weekend, I used the wheelchair ramps/access ramps to move
heavier items into the facilities(console, 16-space rack, subs), rest was
light enough for 2 guys to quickly lift. Thank goodness the trailer has a
ramp gate!

As far as the building where I had to go up 4 steps: No ramp, period.
Possibility of pushing stuff around through an alternate entrance: not
allowed. Even so, then getting it DOWN into where the room was I needed
would have been a hassle just the same.

Unfortunately, my main category of customer thinks this way:
"I do not understand, therefore it must be simple. Set up stage, PA and
lights, total time: 15 minutes from time of arrival to show time."

Getting a used U-Haul truck, well, those darn wheel wells creep into the
cargo area and make that whole area rather useless for me, plus they seem
designed to be at the perfect location to really not allow my load to go
in packed as well as it could. I do like the "attic" area, which would be
great for the lights since that's not all that heavy. I'm looking at a
18-20 foot truck since I might also by carrying a 16-foot wrestling ring.
I work with an independent promotion, so we can offer full production
services which makes it easier to sell a show.

Right now I'm leaning towards ramp again.

--
The Deadbeats' Hall of Lame: http://www.studio42.org/
Where spammers are exposed for the deadbeats they truly are.
California Resident says: We've upped our standards, so now UP YOURS!
Don't respond to this address. It's invalid and I own the domain.
--
Giang Tien Audio: http://www.giangtien.com/ Sacramento, CA
Anonymous
January 16, 2005 12:52:08 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

"Scott Dorsey" <kludge@panix.com> wrote in message
news:csbffj$hii$1@panix2.panix.com...
> Bob Olhsson <olh@hyperback.com> wrote:
> >The best I've seen were the NATO-designed titanium ones. Very expensive
but
> >Maryland Sound claimed to have saved the entire cost of putting touring
rigs
> >in them from reduced shipping expense alone.
>
> Got a source for them?

I did a web search but didn't come up with anything. For a while I was
involved in equipment design and prototyping and found myself on a wonderful
mailing list for that sort of thing. Solicitations for charity contributions
to my mother who has been dead for years followed us to Nashville but not
that truly useful mailing list!

--
Bob Olhsson Audio Mastery, Nashville TN
Mastering, Audio for Picture, Mix Evaluation and Quality Control
Over 40 years making people sound better than they ever imagined!
615.385.8051 http://www.hyperback.com
!