Wrapping up with WoW

WoW is certainly a pretty game, I honestly never understood the complaints
about its "cartoonishness", I found it gorgeous. The PvP has great potential
(the kiss-of-death "p" word), although currently it seems a bit pointless.
The crafting system has some great ideas but isn't terribly fun imo. The
combat mechanics, however, are quite fun. I'd say that while my wife and I
played the game, this was the one thing that we enjoyed the most. Coming up
on a pack of mobs, her Rogue would Sap one and start wailing on another. I
would try and pull aggro with my Paladin and heal enough to get some good
ping-pong aggro happening. Backstab seemed weak in comparison to other
abilities but her other positional attacks were quite fun and effective. My
Seals were ok, my stun was fun, but mostly I enjoyed bashing things over the
head and managing Seals, Auras and Judgments, the tactical possibilities
were fabulous. Because the game supported soloing so effectively, we were
able to go through most of our quests and instances as a duo, pulling in
occasional groups for instance completion and other tough challenges. These
are the things I remember most fondly about the WoW experience.

But ultimately it wasn't enough to sustain interest. I won't go into all the
reasons, I think they've been pretty well covered by others and anyway the
discussion would inevitably degenerate into a flamefest and the temptation
will be too strong to respond and get defensive, so I'll just make my
comments and move on. I haven't run into too many posters here who've
reasonably articulated what they liked about the game while avoiding the
name calling and insults, but there are a few and to them I say Thanks for
the discussion and here's to a solid future of updates that continue to
deliver richer content and more stability. If WoW were my only choice for an
MMOG right now, I might very well still be playing. But at level 48 (of 50)
in EQ2, I'm far beyond the point of a meaningful comparison anymore, too
captivated by the challenges of Norrath and its astonishing content, and
unable (and I guess unwilling) to give WoW any more cycles at this time. The
WoW stability issues were a factor in the decision, too, after a while it
became too easy for us to turn a night that was planned for WoW into a
"Let's go finish that EQ2 quest instead" experience, particularly when we
couldn't log on, or had to wait in some bigass queue.

I've said it before and I'll say it this one last time as I wrap up my
involvement with WoW and cancel my two accounts: the biggest downside and
turnoff in my experience was the predominantly kiddie population. I think
without a single exception, every time my wife and I attempted to group with
others we wound up scratching our heads wondering how on earth these players
ever advanced as far as they had. It was truly astonishing the number of
morons, social misfits and just plain selfish brats we ran into on our
server. I suspect we mighthave had a better experience on one of the
roleplaying servers where more adults play; I wish in retrospect we'd done
that instead of trying to play on the server where our son and his friends
play.

When I'm in-game (in either world), I'm amazed at how one-sided each camp
seems to be about its preference. The WoW fanatics usually resort to
name-calling and childish insults when discussing EQ2 and there is
inevitable reliance on WoW's enormous popularity as a validation of its
superiority, while the EQ2 elitists condescendingly reference WoW's
"cartoonishness", shallow quests and legendary server problems. Both sides
overstate their case, and in the end I think the real differences have more
to do with the players going into the game and their expectations for a
community. There's the classic EQ crowd looking for lengthy, substantive,
challenging content, and then there's the action-oriented group that favors
dueling, PvP, quick battles and doesn't want to bother with a death penalty
or too much dialog. Kill-reward, kill-reward, that was actually the mantra
that Bill Roper once used to describe the formula behind Diablo's success,
and his successors have done an excellent job bringing that ethic into the
MMOG world.

My bias is plain and undisguised: I prefer EverQuest. But I also understand
why there are *many* more people who prefer WoW. To use an old analogy I
used during beta, EverQuest II is a classic vintage Bordeaux with depth and
complexity, a little tannic still and a bit of an acquired taste for the
young palette, but I'm dazzled by the complexity and flavor, and delirious
with enthusiasm over what it will become as it ages in the cask. World of
Warcraft is a cool can of Pepsi, refreshing, ice-cold, easy to chug and
sweet. I enjoy both and I think I understand why others enjoy their
preference but I prefer to sit at the wine-tasting table for this one. I
also realize how this comparison comes off sounding, but that's as honest a
comparison as I can make. ;-)

--
Redbeard, the Lore Seeker
<Veritas>

Descendant of the Elder Winterfury Thunderwolf
<Resolution, Retired>
Barbarian Prophet of The Tribunal
Retired Citizen of Firiona Vie

I'm coming from the other direction, started in EQ2 and switched to
WoW.
As an impartial guy this is what I like and dislike of each game:
Graphics: Both are great, EQ2 are spectacular, and although before
playing it I thought WoW graphics were too 'cartoonish', after playing
it I've learned to love them, as much as those in EQ2.
Quests: This is what I love about WoW. Quests I can do without
needing anyone, I can connect, advance or finish one or two quests and
disconnect, not having to wait for 5 other people. I think EQ2 took
the wrong approach here, people can solo mobs if they want, but if they
want to complete most quests they need a group. I prefer the contrary,
quests that I can complete, but if I want to kill mobs for faster exp
or for 'uber lewt' then get a group and tackle the bigger and more
dangerous areas
World: WoW wins here big time too. I am free to go (almost) anywhere
I want, whenever I want. If the area is too dangerous for me, that's
for me to decide. I hate EQ2 requiring me to do access quests to get
anywhere I want to go past lvl 20 or so. I'm ok with access quests for
some very dangerous (i.e. uber lewt zones), but EQ2 took it to the
extreme.
Combat: I like EQ2 better, fights in WoW end too quick, at most some
6 seconds. When I group with someone else it's almost a waste of time
as by the time my spell is going, the mob is dead, unless you fight
elite mobs but these are far and between (unless you 'farm' them I
guess)
Grouping: EQ2 hands down. There is almost no reason to group in WoW,
and the few times you do group it's just to finish a particularly tough
quest, in which case, group forms, fight lasts 5 seconds, group
dissolves. Am I contradicting myself? Not really, I like grouping,
but I don't want to need a group to do quests, as these are my
'personal' quests, I should be able do them myself. I think it would
be much better if fights lasted some 20 seconds (yielding 4 times more
exp), so when you group you see a real benefit (faster killing, less
downtime, etc)
Crafting: EQ2 hands down. The actual crafting process in EQ2 can be as
exciting sometimes as a tough fight, instead of the 'click and forget'
approach in WoW. I do like the auction system in WoW, although a good
tradeoff in EQ2 would just be having NPC merchants in your house
Replayability: WoW hands down. I like exploring new characters, I
loved City of Heroes for that, hundreds of possible combinations. EQ2
is really lacking in this regard, sometimes having to do the same 20
levels just to try a different class.
PvP: No comments, I just don't do PvP

So in the end, if not for the stupid access quests, I think I would
prefer EQ2, although WoW is certainly a fun game.

Well so far in my short WoW experience (lvl 17 priest, lvl 10 warlock
and lvl 7 rogue) I haven't found an instanced quest yet. Guess that's
when you use those meeting stones I read about somewhere? Hopefully
you're right and grouping becomes a better experience, but so far I've
considered myself lucky if anyone in the group even responds with a
'hello' when I join and say 'Hey guys!'

Shadows

Distinguished
May 2, 2003

On 2005-04-07, Bob Perez <myfirstname@thecomdomaincalledSHADOWPIKE> wrote:
> WoW is certainly a pretty game, I honestly never understood the complaints
> about its "cartoonishness", I found it gorgeous. The PvP has great potential
> (the kiss-of-death "p" word), although currently it seems a bit
pointless.

This is the upteenth thread you've started comparing EQ2 to
WoW. You need medication or get a job writing articles for a
games publication.

Thusly "Bob Perez" <myfirstname@thecomdomaincalledSHADOWPIKE> Spake
Unto All:

>WoW is certainly a pretty game, I honestly never understood the complaints
>about its "cartoonishness"

http://gamer.no/bilder/spill/world_of_warcraft/31.jpg
http://www.goblinworkshop.com/pics/misc/xmas-orgrimmar.jpg
http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/2004/reviews/534914_20041129_screen001.jpg
http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/2004/reviews/534914_20041129_screen009.jpg

Looks very cartoonish to me. Or, more accurately, consolish.

>, I found it gorgeous.

I hate it. Truly. It's the reason I wont get WoW. The graphics are
just too kiddie for me to stomach.

>I've said it before and I'll say it this one last time as I wrap up my
>involvement with WoW and cancel my two accounts: the biggest downside and
>turnoff in my experience was the predominantly kiddie population.

Comes with the franchise, IMO. The Diablo and Warcraft crowd aren't
exactly pinnacles of maturity.

>My bias is plain and undisguised: I prefer EverQuest.

And the reason I wont get EQ2 is that it's said not to be soloable. It
seems otherwise interesting, but I'm not interested in socializing.
I've got free broadband and can't find single-player rpg's, so if EQ2
was soloable I'd play it.

--

Avoid cliches like the plague!

"shadows" <shadows@whitefang.com> wrote in message
> On 2005-04-07, Bob Perez <myfirstname@thecomdomaincalledSHADOWPIKE> wrote:
>> WoW is certainly a pretty game, I honestly never understood the
>> complaints

> This is the upteenth thread you've started comparing EQ2 to
> WoW. You need medication or get a job writing articles for a
> games publication.'

Bob just likes listening to himself talk. Who else can write the 50th EQ vs
WoW thread yet again, and still make it 10 paragraphs long?

"Mean_Chlorine" <mike_noren2002@NOSPAMyahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
> Thusly "Bob Perez" <myfirstname@thecomdomaincalledSHADOWPIKE> Spake
> Unto All:
>

> >My bias is plain and undisguised: I prefer EverQuest.
>
> And the reason I wont get EQ2 is that it's said not to be soloable. It
> seems otherwise interesting, but I'm not interested in socializing.
> I've got free broadband and can't find single-player rpg's, so if EQ2
> was soloable I'd play it.

It's not very soloable at the moment, but it is getting more soloable with each
big patch - rearranging the population of zones to make solo mobs easier to get
to, adding more solo quests, increasing the risk v reward for soloers, and so
on.
The hard-core EQ1 crowd are complaining that it's becoming too much like WoW :)

Rich

Shadows

Distinguished
May 2, 2003

On 2005-04-07, Richard Wingrove <rich@privacy.net> wrote:

> It's not very soloable at the moment, but it is getting more soloable with each
> big patch - rearranging the population of zones to make solo mobs easier to get
> to, adding more solo quests, increasing the risk v reward for soloers, and so
> on.
> The hard-core EQ1 crowd are complaining that it's becoming too much like WoW :)

SOE did the same to SWG with their combat upgrade. The effect it
has on crafting is turning the excellent SWG crafting system into
the WoW tradeskill system.

Thank you Ralph Koster for your CREATIVE DIRECTION

wolfing1@yahoo.com once tried to test me with:

> Grouping: EQ2 hands down. There is almost no reason to group in WoW,
> and the few times you do group it's just to finish a particularly tough
> quest, in which case, group forms, fight lasts 5 seconds, group
> dissolves. Am I contradicting myself? Not really, I like grouping,
> but I don't want to need a group to do quests, as these are my
> 'personal' quests, I should be able do them myself. I think it would
> be much better if fights lasted some 20 seconds (yielding 4 times more
> exp), so when you group you see a real benefit (faster killing, less
> downtime, etc)

I disagree. Even as early as level 12 or 15 there are many quests where it
is hard to solo not because any individual mob is hard to kill, but because
they come in groups and those groups are social and when one comes they all
come. If you are a hunter, you can have your pet tank one or two while you
tank the others, but if you're a non-pet class, such as a priest or mage,
you just can't handle that many mobs at one time, so grouping becomes much
more efficient.

On top of that, the more you play the more the game becomes about the
"instance" dungeons, and those require MANDATORY grouping, no matter what
class you are. No one can tank 3 or 4 even-level elite mobs, not even the
hunters. And if you actually want to see the end of an instance, not only
do you need a group, you need a GOOD group, one that can actually work as a
team and use good tactics. And you need a balanced group for maximum
effectiveness. You need some healers, some tanks, and some high-dps
classes.

I'm not saying its impossible to solo in WoW, I'm saying they have given
some good reasons and opportunities to group in WoW, and if you're not
using them that's your own fault not the designers'. The beauty of WoW is
that you can play it how you like, if you like Solo that's doable, and if
you like grouping that's also worthwhile.

Once a Gamer, Always a Gamer.

I find any complaints about the kids in WoW to be essentially dishonest
in nature and basically fatuous. Every MMOG is overrun with stupid
kids, filtering through them to find the worthwhile people to hang out
with is part of learning the ins and outs of a game. CoH, as an
example, seems to be overrun with idiots who have never heard of the
word "tactics". Every MMOG is filled with idiots who use, for example,
area effects that break crowd control abilities and spells.

The amusing thing I notice most in all the name calling over what game
to play is that the EQ1 crowd seems to place a high value on time spent
not playing the game. They seem to really like long down time between
fights, long waits for a boat and long boat rides, long travel time
getting to where you want to hunt, etc. I play WoW for one reason, it
is fun and there is very little time spent not playing the game (OK,
that is two reasons...). I also play WoW despite what looks to my eyes
as the most moronic looking character models of any game in recent
memory.

I am going to check out the EQ2 trial just so I'll have an informed
opinion on the game (and who knows, maybe I'll like it).

Man, if you don't write for a living you should really look into it.
Anyway, I agree with you main negatives about WoW. Although, I did get a
dwarf Warrior to 60. And that's where the bottom feel out for me. If you
don't PvP the game basically ends at 60..Instance run after instance run for
a piece of equipment or weapon? I don't think so.

I tried the EQ-2 trial, but my sorry old computer could barely get the game
to move at all.(1.4 gig Athlon, 512mram, GEforce 3) At least running WoW
fairly well wasn't a problem. But having lower system spec's as a drawing
point isn't the best of arguments either.

If I ever can get a good game playing computer up and running I would
certainly like to give EQ-2 a royal try.
I've never played EQ in any of its iterations before so I come un-tainted.

Anyway, I'm just wrapping up my time in WoW. I wont be renewing. I don't
like the direction the game is going as well.
They are gearing up for primarily PvP and battlegrounds..both of which
really don't interest me.

Paul
"Bob Perez" <myfirstname@thecomdomaincalledSHADOWPIKE> wrote in message
> [...]
> honest a comparison as I can make. ;-)
>
> --
> Redbeard, the Lore Seeker
> <Veritas>
> Dwarven Mystic and Alchemist
> Loyal Citizen of the Antonia Bayle
> Current resident of Qeynos Harbor
> http://veritas.everquest2guilds.com
>
> Descendant of the Elder Winterfury Thunderwolf
> <Resolution, Retired>
> Barbarian Prophet of The Tribunal
> Retired Citizen of Firiona Vie

wolfing1@yahoo.com once tried to test me with:

> Well so far in my short WoW experience (lvl 17 priest, lvl 10 warlock
> and lvl 7 rogue) I haven't found an instanced quest yet. Guess that's
> when you use those meeting stones I read about somewhere? Hopefully
> you're right and grouping becomes a better experience, but so far I've
> considered myself lucky if anyone in the group even responds with a

Your level 17 priest should find it very easy to get into groups. Your
first instance will probably be the Deadmines, which is in Westfall. Do all
the Defias quests there and eventually one of them leads to the Deadmines
where you go kill Van Cleef. There is almost always a group or more of
people doing the deadmines on my server. Deadmines is good for level 20-25
ish.

Once a Gamer, Always a Gamer.

In article <1159vlv7241l969@news.supernews.com>, Bob Perez
<myfirstname@thecomdomaincalledSHADOWPIKE> wrote:
> My bias is plain and undisguised: I prefer EverQuest. But I also understand
> why there are *many* more people who prefer WoW. To use an old analogy I
> used during beta, EverQuest II is a classic vintage Bordeaux with depth and
> complexity, a little tannic still and a bit of an acquired taste for the
> young palette, but I'm dazzled by the complexity and flavor, and delirious
> with enthusiasm over what it will become as it ages in the cask. World of
> Warcraft is a cool can of Pepsi, refreshing, ice-cold, easy to chug and
> sweet. I enjoy both and I think I understand why others enjoy their
> preference but I prefer to sit at the wine-tasting table for this one. I
> also realize how this comparison comes off sounding, but that's as honest a
> comparison as I can make. ;-)

Different tastes for different people. I'd just like to point out that
there are two main reasons why I have an active WoW account, and a
cancelled EQ2 account:

1) My friends play WoW.

2) Total /played of ~15 days across all characters. You mentioned a
/played on 40 days on your EQ2 main. Unless EQ2 has a truly amazingly
larger amount of content than WoW, any complexity and flavor that it
may have is locked behind more grind than I'll ever manage to sit
through.

- Damien

nostromo

Thus spake "Bob Perez" <myfirstname@thecomdomaincalledSHADOWPIKE>, Thu, 7
Apr 2005 02:39:53 -0700, Anno Domini:

>But ultimately it wasn't enough to sustain interest. I won't go into all the
>reasons, I think they've been pretty well covered by others and anyway the
>discussion would inevitably degenerate into a flamefest and the temptation
>will be too strong to respond and get defensive, so I'll just make my
>comments and move on. I haven't run into too many posters here who've
>reasonably articulated what they liked about the game while avoiding the
>name calling and insults, but there are a few and to them I say Thanks for
>the discussion and here's to a solid future of updates that continue to
>deliver richer content and more stability. If WoW were my only choice for an
>MMOG right now, I might very well still be playing. But at level 48 (of 50)
>in EQ2, I'm far beyond the point of a meaningful comparison anymore, too
>captivated by the challenges of Norrath and its astonishing content, and
>unable (and I guess unwilling) to give WoW any more cycles at this time. The
>WoW stability issues were a factor in the decision, too, after a while it
>became too easy for us to turn a night that was planned for WoW into a
>"Let's go finish that EQ2 quest instead" experience, particularly when we
>couldn't log on, or had to wait in some bigass queue.

Just out of interest Bob, how many months has it taken you to get to 48 in
EQ2 at how many hours per night/week on average would you say? Does it hold
anything of interest to a CoH lover entirely unimpressed with his only 4
hours of EQ1 trial experience? ;-)

In article <ck2a51hqi51gafipsbl457kp15njafedoq@4ax.com>,
nostromo@spamfree.net.au says...
> Just out of interest Bob, how many months has it taken you to get to 48 in
> EQ2 at how many hours per night/week on average would you say? Does it hold
> anything of interest to a CoH lover entirely unimpressed with his only 4
> hours of EQ1 trial experience? ;-)

If you did not like EQ1 and you love CoH, the odds are that you will
*HATE* EQ2. It's a 2nd job and requires a time commitment and grouping.
Instead of CoH's mentality of one person can take on many MOBs, EQ2 is
many people take on 1 MOB. They are not bad games, but they are very
different in their approaches. Both have their merits and both have
their problems, but given your preferences above, I highly doubt that
you would like EQ2.

--
Rob Berryhill

"Nostromo" <nostromo@spamfree.net.au> wrote in message

> Just out of interest Bob, how many months has it taken you to get to 48 in
> EQ2 at how many hours per night/week on average would you say? Does it
> hold
> anything of interest to a CoH lover entirely unimpressed with his only 4
> hours of EQ1 trial experience? ;-)

What I do know is that I find myself compelled to log in every night and
play, play, play, because my wife and I are having a great time. We are both
level 17 with our current Heroes (we re-rolled after taking previous Heroes
to 20) and mostly duo together, roaming the streets in seach of bad guys to
kill and missions for our contacts. We played a mission last night that
introduced us to a new map I'd never seen. We were winding our way through
this deep, three-story office complex, taking elevators to three separate
fighting areas, twisting and turning around corners and ambushes that kept
us white-knuckled throughout. We had to save 7 hostages and free them, and
this required locating them hidden away in all kinds of odd places and
taking out the guards (some of whom were wired with self-explosives). It was
outrageously fun and required all of our best tactics to stay alive. As a
Controller and Defender, we don't have a lot of damage dealing to our
credit, and we were fighting the Tsoo, probably the most difficult mobs to
fight at our level, and the battles were furious and fun. We failed the
mission with 1 hostage to go :( but wow, what a fun experience. In the end,
we didn't feel cheated, we felt disappointed! We let our contact down. :(
Tonight we go back and take on the next mission from this contact and
hopefully will redeem ourselves.

--

Bob Perez

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they
quit playing."
- Oliver Wendell Holmes

"Bob Perez" <myfirstname@thecomdomaincalledSHADOWPIKE> once tried to
test me with:

> What I do know is that I find myself compelled to log in every night
> and play, play, play, because my wife and I are having a great time.
> We are both level 17 with our current Heroes (we re-rolled after
> taking previous Heroes to 20) and mostly duo together, roaming the
> streets in seach of bad guys to kill and missions for our contacts.

So you are playing EQ2 and CoH now? And you just stopped your WoW account?
Were you paying for six MMOG accounts prior to killing WoW? :)

Once a Gamer, Always a Gamer.

ROFL, yeah, that comparison was rather pathetic. It's just a video
game, Bob, get the stick out of your ass, no one will think you are
cool for liking EQ2.

I guess the commercial success of WoW makes it the game for kids to
bash if they want to look cool to their friends.

http://everquest2.station.sony.com/

You can download it right from the EQ2 site, or I assume a free
Vileplanet account can get one. I'm going to download it tonight and
try it this weekend.

nostromo

Thus spake Mean_Chlorine <mike_noren2002@NOSPAMyahoo.co.uk>, Thu, 07 Apr
2005 12:14:34 +0200, Anno Domini:

>Thusly "Bob Perez" <myfirstname@thecomdomaincalledSHADOWPIKE> Spake
>Unto All:
>
>>WoW is certainly a pretty game, I honestly never understood the complaints
>>about its "cartoonishness"
>
>http://gamer.no/bilder/spill/world_of_warcraft/31.jpg
>http://www.goblinworkshop.com/pics/misc/xmas-orgrimmar.jpg
>http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/2004/reviews/534914_20041129_screen001.jpg
>http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/2004/reviews/534914_20041129_screen009.jpg
>
>Looks very cartoonish to me. Or, more accurately, consolish.
>
>>, I found it gorgeous.
>
>I hate it. Truly. It's the reason I wont get WoW. The graphics are
>just too kiddie for me to stomach.
>
>>I've said it before and I'll say it this one last time as I wrap up my
>>involvement with WoW and cancel my two accounts: the biggest downside and
>>turnoff in my experience was the predominantly kiddie population.
>
>Comes with the franchise, IMO. The Diablo and Warcraft crowd aren't
>exactly pinnacles of maturity.
>
>>My bias is plain and undisguised: I prefer EverQuest.
>
>And the reason I wont get EQ2 is that it's said not to be soloable. It
>seems otherwise interesting, but I'm not interested in socializing.
>I've got free broadband and can't find single-player rpg's, so if EQ2
>was soloable I'd play it.

I'll solo it with you MC! ;-)

(you play Wolf:ET? you'd *hate* that game :)

Thusly Nostromo <nostromo@spamfree.net.au> Spake Unto All:

>(you play Wolf:ET? you'd *hate* that game :)

Didn't much care for RtCW, no, so I've never even tried ET.

--

Avoid cliches like the plague!

"Bob Perez" <myfirstname@thecomdomaincalledSHADOWPIKE> wrote in message
> To use an old analogy I used during beta, EverQuest II is a classic
> vintage Bordeaux with depth and complexity, a little tannic still and a
> bit of an acquired taste for the young palette, but I'm dazzled by the
> complexity and flavor, and delirious with enthusiasm over what it will
> become as it ages in the cask. World of Warcraft is a cool can of Pepsi,
> refreshing, ice-cold, easy to chug and sweet.

You win the "most-pretentious" award of the month. This may be the most
ridiculous analogy of EQ2 I've ever read. If you want to praise EQ2, biased
as you are, don't exagerate so absurdly.

Let me show you how it's done: WoW is like a Big Mac; EQ2 is like a Whopper.

Vintage Bordeaux my ass.

Reg LeCrisp wrote:

> "shadows" <shadows@whitefang.com> wrote in message
>
>>On 2005-04-07, Bob Perez <myfirstname@thecomdomaincalledSHADOWPIKE> wrote:
>>
>>>WoW is certainly a pretty game, I honestly never understood the
>>>complaints
>

>>This is the upteenth thread you've started comparing EQ2 to
>>WoW. You need medication or get a job writing articles for a
>>games publication.'
>

> Bob just likes listening to himself talk. Who else can write the 50th EQ vs
> WoW thread yet again, and still make it 10 paragraphs long?

Reg STFU. While some of use may not agree with him, we post on other
topics and discuss other things. Your only posts are only to flame bob.

So how much did you spend on it in total?