512mb cas2.5 pc2100 ram
Shuttle AK31 v3.1
LG 16x CDRW
Western Digital 100gb 7200rpm HDD
Leadtek Geforce 4 ti 4400
Creative Labs SB Audigy OEM
SMC NIC
Aopen 56k v92 modem

That's my setup.. the whole system posts fine, I can use a bootdisk to get into DOS and all, access cds and fdisk and format the hard drive.

The problem comes when installing any Windows OS:

With Windows 95 it goes smoothly until it gets to actually loading windows: prints some error regarding IOS.

With Windows 2000 I can start to copy files over for the installation but when it goes to "start windows" to continu the installation process, it gives me a Stop error regarding ntoskrnl.exe.

With Windows XP Pro it's pretty much the same as Win2k, it copies over all the files from the setup boot disks/i386 folder and then when I press Enter to install on, it prints a Stop error: 0x00000050 ntfs.sys with mention of PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA.

What does this all mean and how can I resolve it? Stop errors usually refer to software, drivers, or hardware incompatibilities..

Is my HDD faulty? did I not partition it right and format it okay? Any ideas?

More about : install windows inside

April 5, 2002 3:31:10 PM

With W2K and WXP, why are you formating prior to install?

I would just delete the partition and let it format the drive during setup.

As for W95, I wonder if it's because of the FAT32 not being compatible. Either that or it maybe that problem that W95 had with K6 chips faster than 300 mHz, maybe it affects Athlons?

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/myanandtech.html?member=87962" target="_new">My Rigs </A>
April 5, 2002 4:33:48 PM

Check the hard drive for errors if you can... also try swapping RAM.

<font color=red> If you design software that is fool-proof, only a fool will want to use it. </font color=red>
Related resources
Anonymous
April 5, 2002 5:04:43 PM

Well, I took out the modem sound card and NIC, and actually had the installation going through, at one point it locked up though and I figured I'd try it from scratch.

Now it comes up with a Stop error 0x00000024 with ntfs.sys (versus a 0x00000050 error before)

I looked the error code up and it points to a File System error.. urgh, what to do now?

I also ran diagnostics on my HDD and all seems okay.
Anonymous
April 5, 2002 5:17:41 PM

I just tried booting the setup from the cdrom, it starts up and loads all the files that the boot disks do, then when i press ENTER to continu with the setup it displays a (gasp) new error.. 0x000000BE with ntfs.sys.

I looked the error code up and it is ATTEMPTED_WRITE_TO_READONLY_MEMORY, which means that a driver attempted to write to read-only memory. Commonly occurs after installing a faulty device driver, system service, or firmware.

This just ain't getting any better..
Anonymous
April 5, 2002 8:01:45 PM

Well, seems like it's the ram afterall.. I'm now getting 2500 errors in memtest86, so I guess I'll have to get a replacement stick. Thanks for the support those who supported!
!