Is networking speed affected by length/distance of cable running?

john_india

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2011
hi guys, i've 3 desktop 2 running w7 and one Xp the router am using is Asus RT N-66U its a Gigabit router all 3 pc is connected by Ethernet cord Cat 5e,now regarding distance 1 machine with 5 Meters of cable and another with 7 Meters and xp with 30 meters, for my disappointment the pc with 5 Meters shows up lan speed of 1 Gbps and other 2 pc show only 100 Mbps and file transfer rate b'ween pc's are not more than 2 Mbps, two pc's have same exact motherboard and network drivers[5 Meter & 30 Meter(xp)] pc with 7 meter has intel D-board which does not support Gigabit networking but haven't tried connecting with shorter cable due to distance b'ween router and pc.. but cords are different brand but all are cat 5E... what am i missing out or this generally happens when the cord length is increased how would i fix it...Thank You

Length of the cable is irrelevant. Disable autonegotiate on the two machines that support gigabit and hard code for 1000mb/s. Transfers between machines is limited to the slowest link in the chain, usually the hard drive. Don't expect gigabit transfers all the time.

john_india

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2011
Tnx for the reply, am not expecting a gigabit transfer speed lol just a decent transfer rate ,speed a tleast above 10-20 Mb/s that's all ,well there's 3 option given under auto disable gigabit which i assume its autonegotiate feature 1.Disabled[selected by default] 2.Re-Link,Battery 3.Re-Link,Battery or AC i have selected 3rd option...

john_india

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2011
Thank you ill update soon on that prob and besides this i wanna know is it possible for pc having two or more lan ports like additional one from Pci express not for lan networking, its for communication device for weighing scale?

john_india

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2011
hi, sry for the late update.. i tried all what u have recommended but its still at 100Mbps only, and i have found that all there network adapter are same model even the one with intel board also [realtek PCIe GBE family controller] i have set to 1Gb full duplex.. but nothing's happening, so should i configure my Router?

TRENDING THREADS