Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Fat 32 merge files larger than 4gb

Last response: in Windows 7
June 5, 2012 11:26:51 PM

Hello,i need to merge file that was splitted into 1gb files but it failed (more than gb when merged) can any one help me ( win7 ultimate) THX

a b $ Windows 7
June 7, 2012 1:21:56 PM

What split the file? A straight Windows copy will fail, not split the file, so you must have been using some other software. The answer will probably lie with using said other software to reassemble it.

If you still have the original copy, maybe you should just fall back to that one and copy it again.

EDIT: Or you may mean that the merged file is more than 4 GB so that the process fails? In which case, you would have to reformat the device you are trying to reassemble it on. Is this a USB key?
Score
a b \ Driver
a b $ Windows 7
June 7, 2012 1:53:45 PM

The Fat32 file system has a limit of 4GB filesize due to it being a 32 bit format and thus you can not have any single file larger than 4gb. since there would be no way to store all of the file and address it. In order to merge the file if the resulting file is larger than 4GB you will need another HDD or partition on your existing HDD that is formatted in NTFS instead of FAT32 (This is one of the main reasons NTFS is used for newer systems instead of the older FAT32 )
Score
Related resources
June 16, 2012 8:17:35 PM

then there is no way to copy the file on fat32 ( i wanted to copy a game file on my external ps3 HDD the file is 11 gb ) but when i bought the ps3 external HDD with games there was files larger than 4gb on it how did he copied and pasted th files on the ps3 external HDD????????????????????
Score

Best solution

a b \ Driver
a b $ Windows 7
June 16, 2012 9:18:38 PM

striker121_egy said:
then there is no way to copy the file on fat32 ( i wanted to copy a game file on my external ps3 HDD the file is 11 gb ) but when i bought the ps3 external HDD with games there was files larger than 4gb on it how did he copied and pasted th files on the ps3 external HDD????????????????????

I'm not sure but it might be that the PS3 is using exFat or FAT+ which are extensions of the FAT file system which allow larger files.

Quote:
exFAT is an incompatible file system, that was introduced with Windows Embedded CE 6.0 in November 2006. It is loosely based on the File Allocation Table architecture, but proprietary and protected by patents.

The MBR partition type is 0x07 (the same as used for IFS, HPFS, NTFS, etc.). exFAT is intended for use on flash drives (such as SDXC and Memory Stick XC), where FAT32 is otherwise used.

It offers several benefits over FAT32 including breaking the 4 GB file size limit of FAT32 (only without the FAT+[2] extension, which allows files larger than 4 GB also on FAT32 volumes), being more space-efficient for files smaller than 64 KB on large volumes and, compared to light-weight implementations of FAT32 in DOS and some embedded systems, it can offer faster seeks if more than a few thousand files are stored in a single sub-directory, whereas FAT32 is typically faster than exFAT for larger files as used on digital cameras, camcorders and media players or when flash cards are used mainly for archival purposes.

Storage devices formatted as exFAT cannot exchange data with equipment not supporting the format. Much equipment does not support exFAT, which requires acquisition of a license from Microsoft; this involves a cost, and is also against the policy of open source operating systems.

That said is the game files actually some type of compressed archive where the actual files are smaller but the archive is greater than 4GB ? -- If so you should be able to save the archive to a NTFS partition and then decompress the archive into it's individual files and copy them to the FAT32 partition (AS LONG AS NO SINGLE FILE IS 4GB+)
June 18, 2012 7:02:28 PM

Best answer selected by striker121_egy.
Score
a b \ Driver
a b $ Windows 7
June 18, 2012 7:38:24 PM

This topic has been closed by Nikorr
Score
!