Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Whats the difference?

Last response: in Windows 7
June 6, 2012 12:54:05 AM

What exactly is the difference between this and the regular package. Theres a pretty major price difference. Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64bit (Full) System Builder DVD 1 Pack.

More about : whats difference

Best solution

June 6, 2012 1:08:21 AM

Clueless Builder said:
What exactly is the difference between this and the regular package. Theres a pretty major price difference. Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64bit (Full) System Builder DVD 1 Pack.

You are referring to the OEM version of Windows 7. The difference between the regular (full) version and the OEM is that while the Regular comes with a nice, neat package with the two disks (32 and 64 bit), the OEM only comes in with 1 disk (either 32 or 64 bit) in a sleeved plastic pocket.

However, the OEM cannot be installed on more than 1 computer (or rather motherboard), while the Regular allows you to install it to 3 computers, usually.

It is important to note that you need to buy a motherboard, hard drive, or cpu or any other computer part to qualify for getting an OEM, because they are usually supplied to System Builders. Getting one part should suffice to qualify, but it varies between store to store.

Regards

Edit: Get the OEM, since it is usually much cheaper ($200+ compared to $99). As long as you are only planning to stick to one computer, it should be good enough.
June 6, 2012 1:09:53 AM

Best answer selected by Clueless Builder.
m
l
Related resources
June 6, 2012 4:13:00 PM

oddlyinsane said:
However, the OEM cannot be installed on more than 1 computer (or rather motherboard), while the Regular allows you to install it to 3 computers, usually.

The retail versions only allow for installation on one PC as well.
m
l
June 6, 2012 4:51:04 PM

pdxalex said:
The retail versions only allow for installation on one PC as well.

Yep, the main difference is as was said, packaging, versions included(disk wise) and with retail it can be uninstalled from one PC and installed on another.

The Family Pack allows 3 installs.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
June 6, 2012 5:29:09 PM

I think you both are confusing this poor fellow. You certainly confused me. The truth is that the OEM version will be forever tied to the MB it was first installed to. If you have a HD crash which requires re-installation of the OS, I'm told Microsoft will allow re-authorization as long as the MB has not changed. The retail (full) version can be installed on multiple MB but only one at a time and must be un-installed before re-use. I believe this is all true and cannot be mis-understood...I hope.
m
l
June 6, 2012 7:40:35 PM

ram1009 said:
I think you both are confusing this poor fellow. You certainly confused me. The truth is that the OEM version will be forever tied to the MB it was first installed to. If you have a HD crash which requires re-installation of the OS, I'm told Microsoft will allow re-authorization as long as the MB has not changed. The retail (full) version can be installed on multiple MB but only one at a time and must be un-installed before re-use. I believe this is all true and cannot be mis-understood...I hope.

God! Someone get this man a ribbon!! Thanks Man. I was kinda confused.
m
l
!